McCann's goal nominated for goal of the decade

vegas-voss

vegas-voss

Austin McCann's goal against Celtic in 2003 has been put forward for best goal of the SPL decade.Has there been a better Hearts goal in your mind.So many to remember but McCann's was brilliant just because it was so late on.Best in recent years for me was Miko's against Hibs when Sheils got sent off.

Jambosimmy

do you have a link of the other goals nominated. Mikos gaol was brilliant that dat. What about lee millers against either dundee united or Kilmarnock. cant rememebr who it was. Just caught it on the volley on the right corner of the pen box shooting into the gorgie stand - lashed it into the top corner

Austin McCann's goal versus Celtic (sorry about poor picture quality):

Austin McCann's goal against Celtic in 2003 has been put forward for best goal of the SPL decade.Has there been a better Hearts goal in your mind.So many to remember but McCann's was brilliant just because it was so late on.Best in recent years for me was Miko's against Hibs when Sheils got sent off.

Theres been a few crackers and Austins is well up there. If you go back through the dvd's like the Late Late Show and Glorious then it's bound to throw up a few more to rattle the old brain cells back into life.

Mark De Vries 4th (5-1) and Weirs 2nd (4-4) against the Hobos spring to mind. Not thunderbolts or individual moments of skill, but a never say die attitude and simple hard graft and determination to chase down the lost cause ball that defined Leveins team that year.

vegas-voss
do you have a link of the other goals nominated. Mikos gaol was brilliant that dat. What about lee millers against either dundee united or Kilmarnock. cant rememebr who it was. Just caught it on the volley on the right corner of the pen box shooting into the gorgie stand - lashed it into the top corner

Kanchelskis v Dunfermline 99

Larsson v Rangers 00

Numan v Celtic 02

Tam MacManus v Rangers 03

Craig Beattie v Dundee Utd 05

Javier Artero v Motherwell 00

Nakamura v Dundee Utd 06

Jim Hamilton v Celtic 06

Shaun Maloney v Dunfermline 06

It was against Killie. Pretty sure its on youtube but I can't access Youtube in work so unable to post a link to the vid. IIRC Miko scored a decent goal against them in the same game, completely sold Alan Combe and went round him to score. Think that was when we played killie about 3 times in 2 weeks, twice in the cup. Chesney's in the replay at rugby park was a cracker also.

Jambosimmy
Kanchelskis v Dunfermline 99

Larsson v Rangers 00

Numan v Celtic 02

Tam MacManus v Rangers 03

Craig Beattie v Dundee Utd 05

Javier Artero v Motherwell 00

Nakamura v Dundee Utd 06

Jim Hamilton v Celtic 06

Shaun Maloney v Dunfermline 06

I feel daft asking this question but who the hell is javier artero and who did he play for. my guess is Dundee

Jambosimmy
It was against Killie. Pretty sure its on youtube but I can't access Youtube in work so unable to post a link to the vid. IIRC Miko scored a decent goal against them in the same game, completely sold Alan Combe and went round him to score. Think that was when we played killie about 3 times in 2 weeks, twice in the cup. Chesney's in the replay at rugby park was a cracker also.

And what about lee wallace running the full length of the pitch that day and scoring a cracking goal.

vegas-voss
I feel daft asking this question but who the hell is javier artero and who did he play for. my guess is Dundee

Yeah Dundee

Sexton Hardcastle

Paul McMullen scored an absolute rasper against killie i think a few years back. Left peg, Top C from a good 30 yards +. It was on one of the Dvds iv got.

doctor jambo

Ricardo Fuller vs Motherwell

INdividual brilliance and sheer panache

(always thought Mccanns was a never to be repeated fluke, still loved it though)

Ricardo Fuller vs Motherwell

INdividual brilliance and sheer panache

(always thought Mccanns was a never to be repeated fluke, still loved it though)

Forgot about that little gem. Can't find it on you tube though, I'll try London Hearts.

steviefrailspants

Gary Naismith scored an absolute screamer into the top corner from about twenty-five yards against Aberdeen at Tynecatle (Gorgie Road End) season 97 / 98.

Is this outwith the decade of the spl ???:confused:

Fulton against Aberdeen but that may have been 11 years ago.

Tomaschek against Motherwell, a curving belter from 30 yards.

Fuller against Well too.

Austin McCann's wonder strike against Celtic in 2003has been nominated for goal of the decade.

Here are the others from the SPL website, apparently you can view and vote for them on the websites of the Sun and Setanta:

1. Andrei Kanchelskis, 7 February 1999, for Rangers Vs Dunfermline Ath at East End Park

2. Javier Artero, 29 July 2000, for Dundee Vs Motherwell at Fir Park

3. Henrik Larsson, 27 August 2000, for Celtic Vs Rangers at Celtic Park

4. Arthur Numan, 10 May 2003, for Rangers Vs Celtic at Ibrox

5. Austin McCann, 19 April 2003, for Hearts Vs Celtic at Tynecastle

6. Tam McManus, 23 August 2003, for Hibernian Vs Rangers at Ibrox

7. Craig Beattie, 6 August 2005, for Celtic Vs Dundee United at Celtic Park

8. Jim Hamilton, 22 January 2006, for Motherwell Vs Celtic at Fir Park

9. Sean Maloney, 19 February 2006, for Celtic Vs Dunfermline Ath at East End Park

10. Shunsuke Nakamura, 26 December 2006, for Celtic Vs Dundee United at Celtic Park

Only one of the candidates is form a match NOT involving the OF. How predictable.

I'll never forget that goal though, proper stoater!!

Jam Tarts 1874
Austin McCann's wonder strike against Celtic in 2003has been nominated for goal of the decade.

Here are the others from the SPL website, apparently you can view and vote for them on the websites of the Sun and Setanta:

1. Andrei Kanchelskis, 7 February 1999, for Rangers Vs Dunfermline Ath at East End Park

2. Javier Artero, 29 July 2000, for Dundee Vs Motherwell at Fir Park

3. Henrik Larsson, 27 August 2000, for Celtic Vs Rangers at Celtic Park

4. Arthur Numan, 10 May 2003, for Rangers Vs Celtic at Ibrox

5. Austin McCann, 19 April 2003, for Hearts Vs Celtic at Tynecastle

6. Tam McManus, 23 August 2003, for Hibernian Vs Rangers at Ibrox

7. Craig Beattie, 6 August 2005, for Celtic Vs Dundee United at Celtic Park

9. Sean Maloney, 19 February 2006, for Celtic Vs Dunfermline Ath at East End Park

10. Shunsuke Nakamura, 26 December 2006, for Celtic Vs Dundee United at Celtic Park

Thanks for posting a reminder of McCann's goal, great to see it again. :)

Lots to choose from in the voting - if you are a Celtic fan! :mad:

Only one of the candidates is form a match NOT involving the OF. How predictable.

I'll never forget that goal though, proper stoater!!

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=6285&back=home

It says that fans from all over the world voted, the top 80 were then wittled down by a panel. Doesn't mention who is on it but I would like to see who just to see if it would reflect the Old Firm or not, and therefore prove your point or not.

While they have better players who are more likely to score better goals I would like to see how many non-Old Firm goals were in the top 80

Just noticed there was another thread on this, sorry!

Had a quick look but must have missed it.

Say What Again

That was a peach!

I didn't think he had it in him. :)

Captain Bubblebeard
Gary Naismith scored an absolute screamer into the top corner from about twenty-five yards against Aberdeen at Tynecatle (Gorgie Road End) season 97 / 98.

Is this outwith the decade of the spl ???:confused:

That's the first one that sprang to my mind when I read the first post. Amazing goal - built up from just about our own penalty box IIRC (most of which was subsequently cut out of the Scotsport highlights to make way for extended coverage of the upcoming Rangers v Dunfermline game or something - was raging!)

Say What Again
That was a peach!

I didn't think he had it in him. :)

Great commentary

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I'm pretty sure this was the goal when Artero picked it up near his own box, ran pretty much the length of the pitch then screamed it in. I think it was Bonetti's first game in charge on the opening day of the season. When the Marr's promised the world and achieved only Administration

steviefrailspants

Out of the ten listed I personally think that Jim Hamilton's against Celtic was the best and should win.....

However I've a funny feeling that (even though it was a decent goal, it wisnae great) Henrik Larsson's will probably get the honour

AM's was certainly scored in the best circumstances... ie near the end of the game and probably cost Celtic the league that year.

Still think Gary Naismiths against Aberdeen was better though.

As much as I hate to admit it McManus's goal was a peach also.

It's not on the list but seem to remember Eoin Jess scoring an absolute raker against Rangers at Ibrox ... again maybe just outwith the ten years though

shaun.lawson
I'm pretty sure this was the goal when Artero picked it up near his own box, ran pretty much the length of the pitch then screamed it in. I think it was Bonetti's first game in charge on the opening day of the season. When the Marr's promised the world and achieved only Administration

Yeah, I remember that. Oddly, Didier Agathe scored a similar goal for Hibs against Dundee the following week! Have to say I'm disappointed that Tomaschek's v Motherwell isn't in, by the way - and I agree with others that Larsson's v Rangers'll probably end up winning.

The importance of the game in which a goal is scored has to play a part in awards like these: and the point about Larsson's goal is it was part of arguably the most significant SPL game since the league was set up: a day that represented a seismic shift between the Big Two, from which Rangers have been playing catch up pretty much ever since.

Well it wouldn't be JKB without a bit of negativity would it ;)

I remember watching Sevvy driving forward and thinking pass it now.......NOT to AM though, but to however it was steaming up on the right. I still think it was the wrong ball to play but hey ho :P

Well it wouldn't be JKB without a bit of negativity would it ;)

I remember watching Sevvy driving forward and thinking pass it now.......NOT to AM though, but to however it was steaming up on the right. I still think it was the wrong ball to play but hey ho :P

I'm sure Sevvy said McCann scored goals like that in training every day.

Paul McMullen scored an absolute rasper against killie i think a few years back. Left peg, Top C from a good 30 yards +. It was on one of the Dvds iv got.

It was indeed; incredible goal. :thumb:

Lee Miller's rocket vs Dundee Utd (?) has to come pretty close too; arguably one of the best goals I've ever seen!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

However I've a funny feeling that (even though it was a decent goal, it wisnae great) Henrik Larsson's will probably get the honour

I actually think this is the best, I thought of it before I even saw the nominations! Just a superb finish, I love the kind of goal where the striker chips the keeper like that, and his wee meg on the defender made it even better!

I actually think this is the best, I thought of it before I even saw the nominations! Just a superb finish, I love the kind of goal where the striker chips the keeper like that, and his wee meg on the defender made it even better!

Yeah - TBH, I wouldn't have any complaints if that one were declared the best.

It was indeed; incredible goal. :thumb:

Lee Miller's rocket vs Dundee Utd (?) has to come pretty close too; arguably one of the best goals I've ever seen!

Great shout. I remember the goal (I think) Left foot volley?

Great shout. I remember the goal (I think) Left foot volley?

Definitely a volley; think it was left foot as well. It was Scotsport SPL's "Play of the Week"! :dribble:

It's a shame that Miller had to ruin everything by becoming a diving, whinging, cheating ^^^^. :mad:

My first instinct was that Larsson would win it. Admittedly it's a very good goal and I remember watching it live at the time, but I don't think it is the best goal on offer.

It's saddening that we are picking the "goal of the decade" based more on politics than quality of football itself. As if a goal AGAINST Celtic would ever win this (that wasn't scored by a Rangers player)..

Definitely a volley; think it was left foot as well. It was Scotsport SPL's "Play of the Week"! :dribble:

It's a shame that Miller had to ruin everything by becoming a diving, whinging, cheating ^^^^. :mad:

Sorry, right foot! ;)

That youtube is nae bother eh!

A few more where that came from, I shall add them tomorrow!

Prince Buaben

What about Miko's goal against Celtic last january. Cant find it on Youtube

jambos are go!

Colin Cameron just back from a long term injury scored a cracker at Tannadice to lift the threat of relegation.

Archived