Empty seats

henry

Not sure if it’s been discussed but does anyone have any explanation for the number of empty seats in the Hearts end for the derby? It was a bit frustrating not being able to buy a ticket but then seeing what appears to be loads of empty seats. If these are season ticket holders not turning up I’d be surprised as there appears to be hundreds of them. If it is season ticket holders not turning up then can’t the club make an appeal to fans to donate ticket back to the club. This used to be a regular thing back a few years ago. Also, why so few tickets went on public sale? 

1 minute ago, brux said:

Season ticket holders not happy to attend with the pandemic going on, they should have told the club to resell but its up to them

If that’s the case the club should really be getting in touch with season ticket holders making them aware that they can resell tickets. 

5 minutes ago, henry said:

Not sure if it’s been discussed but does anyone have any explanation for the number of empty seats in the Hearts end for the derby? It was a bit frustrating not being able to buy a ticket but then seeing what appears to be loads of empty seats. If these are season ticket holders not turning up I’d be surprised as there appears to be hundreds of them. If it is season ticket holders not turning up then can’t the club make an appeal to fans to donate ticket back to the club. This used to be a regular thing back a few years ago. Also, why so few tickets went on public sale? 

Two seats next to me that I know are not season ticket seats were empty. However I wasn't able to buy one for my partner as it was 'sold out'. Pretty annoying tbh.

Agree with OP the number of empty seats was the most I have seen for a derby. Yes some poeple won’t attend due to COVID but I’m calling out the club on this. Convinced for whatever reason they didn’t sell all available seats not taken by season ticket holders. This was actually mentioned days before when only 500 went on public sale

Two seats that I occupy in the Gorgie stand were empty on Sunday due to unforeseen transport issues. Had I known I was going to encounter such issues before last Sunday morning where my car had an issue, no trains were running & even the bus times wouldn’t allow me to be in Edinburgh on time for kick off, I would have released the 2 seats for a couple of fans to get the use of. Scottish govt want you to use public transport but it’s a joke both with services that run & the cost of it. Factor into that, 12 noon on a Sunday is a rotten time for a derby. All to suit the arm chair supporter in my opinion. 

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, henry said:

Also, why so few tickets went on public sale? 

The extent of red zones is ridiculous. Bring lower D back into full use and substantially reduce the red zones in the main stand.

Some clubs down south offer resale service, fans get a cut or can take up option of voucher to use in club store etc.

I get to most games but would use that option if I couldn't, you have to incentivise and reward people.

I sit in Upper N and tried to get a seat for my son, there were plenty to the right of me as most are not season ticket holders, sold out online but there were loads empty on the day of the game.

20 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Agree with OP the number of empty seats was the most I have seen for a derby. Yes some poeple won’t attend due to COVID but I’m calling out the club on this. Convinced for whatever reason they didn’t sell all available seats not taken by season ticket holders. This was actually mentioned days before when only 500 went on public sale

Agreed to this, something stinks, should be investigated but sweep sweep.

38 minutes ago, henry said:

There were stacks of empty seats m8   clearly could be seen in the stands, frustrating as I wanted a ticket for this....as did many others

Hearts of Vladland

Lower N and Lower G don’t get sold unless to season ticket holders, the full sections might be the same at the minute. Lower N was packed on Sunday when there is normally lots of missing seats, I guessing folk had moved there from elsewhere leaving gaps where they sat.

part_time_jambo
29 minutes ago, ElGee1973 said:

Two seats that I occupy in the Gorgie stand were empty on Sunday due to unforeseen transport issues. Had I known I was going to encounter such issues before last Sunday morning where my car had an issue, no trains were running & even the bus times wouldn’t allow me to be in Edinburgh on time for kick off, I would have released the 2 seats for a couple of fans to get the use of. Scottish govt want you to use public transport but it’s a joke both with services that run & the cost of it. Factor into that, 12 noon on a Sunday is a rotten time for a derby. All to suit the arm chair supporter in my opinion. 

The've just spent the last 4 months and probably several million pounds turning the hard shoulder on the M8 between Newbridge and Hermiston Gate into a bus lane, and putting the occasional emergency layby outwith the bus lane for cars that breakdown. I don't know what you are supposed to do if you break down between the laybys. My point is, I commute that road every day, and I have yet to see a bus. The time and money would be better spent expanding the motorway to 3 lanes to make it easier for motorists, but that would be contrary to policy. Sorry for the off-topic rant.

19 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

I sit in Upper N and tried to get a seat for my son, there were plenty to the right of me as most are not season ticket holders, sold out online but there were loads empty on the day of the game.

There’s something not right about this. Is there an issue with the computer system that’s putting these seats down as sold, when they are clearly not and are not season ticket seats. I’d say Hearts appear to have far more empty seats than other clubs when the game is a “sell out” 

4 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

The've just spent the last 4 months and probably several million pounds turning the hard shoulder on the M8 between Newbridge and Hermiston Gate into a bus lane, and putting the occasional emergency layby outwith the bus lane for cars that breakdown. I don't know what you are supposed to do if you break down between the laybys. My point is, I commute that road every day, and I have yet to see a bus. The time and money would be better spent expanding the motorway to 3 lanes to make it easier for motorists, but that would be contrary to policy. Sorry for the off-topic rant.

I thought the same PTJ wtf is that all about 

23 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

It’s not just few empty seats it’s hundreds. There’s no way there would be hundreds of empty seats for the first derby people could attend for years. 

2 minutes ago, henry said:

It’s not just few empty seats it’s hundreds. There’s no way there would be hundreds of empty seats for the first derby people could attend for years. 

The explanations have been given.

Why are you still banging on about it?

50 minutes ago, henry said:

If that’s the case the club should really be getting in touch with season ticket holders making them aware that they can resell tickets. 

Folk doing lateral flows (responsible) the day of the game could come back positive. Doesn’t leave any time does it. 

willie wallace
30 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Stagecoach are going to trial their autonomous buses on the route although there will still be a driver on board.

That section will be a "smart motorway" similar to one in England which has not gone well apparently.

40 mph here compared to 70mph down there.

Sorry for continuing the off topic line☹️

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

Some clubs down south offer resale service, fans get a cut or can take up option of voucher to use in club store etc.

I get to most games but would use that option if I couldn't, you have to incentivise and reward people.

I agree with this. People live busy lives. It isn't made particularly easy to return a ticket. Providing even a small incentive, like a £10 voucher for the shop, hospitality or supporters bar if the ticket is resold woud probably be enough to get a lot of people to make the effort. That said, it is maybe only really worth the club's effort to set that kind of system up if we start selling out regularlly.

The idea that there is some conspiracy to not sell tickets is bizarre. If there is one thing we can say about Budge it is that she is intent on maximising revenue.

My half sister

The overtime ban by rail workers is causing havoc in our country with no trains at all running on a Sunday in the majority of the country.

Scottish Government  need to Get it sorted.

Covid is rife just now and Tynecastle on Sunday would have been a possible super spreader event, so that's going to affect attendances for some time to come.

I think there's scope to employ someone whose job it is to maximise attendances, their wages would be covered by extra revenue brought in by the resale of unused tickets.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, henry said:

There are probably those who maybe watch it on Hearts tv without going because of Covid but it seems strange not to pass them on or sell them if that’s your thing. 

8 hours ago, Hearts of Vladland said:

Lower N and Lower G don’t get sold unless to season ticket holders, the full sections might be the same at the minute. Lower N was packed on Sunday when there is normally lots of missing seats, I guessing folk had moved there from elsewhere leaving gaps where they sat.

They were checking tickets before allowing you into lower N. A young lad in front of me had managed to get in when his ticket was for else where. He was bursting on a pee at half time but didn't want to leave in case he couldn't get back in. He wasn't acting like a ***** so I helped him by giving him my season ticket to get back in.

Hearts of Vladland
12 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

They were checking tickets before allowing you into lower N. A young lad in front of me had managed to get in when his ticket was for else where. He was bursting on a pee at half time but didn't want to leave in case he couldn't get back in. He wasn't acting like a ***** so I helped him by giving him my season ticket to get back in.

The steward at the entrance closest to the school end wasn’t checking tickets properly at all, multiple times he sent folk into the lower section when they were in the upper then they had to leave as they couldn’t find their seat. He glanced at my ticket and I doubt he would have got the info off my ticket in that time.

8 hours ago, henry said:

What’s it got to do with you?

I’ll say it again.

The potential reasons have been explained in your own thread. 

Why are you still banging on about it when you know the reasons?

Selkirkhmfc1874
10 hours ago, brux said:

Season ticket holders not happy to attend with the pandemic going on, they should have told the club to resell but its up to them

Agree with this ! If season ticket holders not going let club have some extra revenue , i had one of my spare season tickets but let guy on here upgrade it to a adult for the game earning the club some extra money

10 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Wee Patrick Harvie wouldn't like your suggestion not one wee bitty. 

11 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Folk doing lateral flows (responsible) the day of the game could come back positive. Doesn’t leave any time does it. 

agree. Also the trains not running is bound to be a factor as well. 

1 in 45 had covid last week and I imagine most were isolating as required. Plus others who are not yet confident enough to attend.

Empty seat next to me as my mate from Manchester couldn’t make it. No mystery why there here are empty seats imo.

12 hours ago, ElGee1973 said:

early KOs are a joke, im sure our semi with celtic in 2012 was one i left about 10am, nightmare.

3 hours ago, Hearts of Vladland said:

The steward at the entrance closest to the school end wasn’t checking tickets properly at all, multiple times he sent folk into the lower section when they were in the upper then they had to leave as they couldn’t find their seat. He glanced at my ticket and I doubt he would have got the info off my ticket in that time.

Same guy had a look at mine and it did look like he couldn't have cared less 😂

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

early KOs are a joke, im sure our semi with celtic in 2012 was one i left about 10am, nightmare.

A mixture of early kick off and folk still wary of attending large events. 

Not sure how easy it would be to get through to the TO on a match day to get them to resell seat. 

Trying to get through almost anywhere on the phone these days requires a long wait on hold. 😞

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

A mixture of early kick off and folk still wary of attending large events. 

Not sure how easy it would be to get through to the TO on a match day to get them to resell seat. 

Trying to get through almost anywhere on the phone these days requires a long wait on hold. 😞

Im sure you would just E-Mail them , with your seat details.

I think I’m right in thinking that season ticket holders can watch on Hearts TV if they cannot get to Tynecastle, or if Covid concerns deterring them etc.?  If so that would seem to add more complications to releasing a season ticket for one match for sale to others - what is to stop somebody releasing it for sale but still watching on Hearts TV?   Would seem awfully complicated to administer this season.  Hopefully Covid not an issue next season or others.

I got two random STs through the post on Friday morning. According to the TO they had been held pending finance approval. I did have a few different seats in my basket before I checked out and paid for the ones I ultimately bought, but maybe some seats are still sitting "on hold" for those who cancelled finance applications or whose finance was declined. 

As for the others, I'm sure the % of empty seats will be similar to the Covid infection rate and there'll also be a number of people who couldn't get to/from Edinburgh because of the trains, and some who just never bothered for one reason or another. As others have mentioned too, with no incentive to release seats back to general sale when you can't make a match, its quite a bit of hassle for some to actually bother doing it.

14 hours ago, henry said:

Another reason apart from there being no rail services last Sunday is that any Season Ticket Holder buying Corp Hospitality effectively has a "double seat" for that match ....the one that comes with the Corp package and their own seat.  

16 hours ago, ElGee1973 said:

Big lad, are you?  :whistling: :wink:

Absolutely agree with your last point.  :icon14:

part_time_jambo
7 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Wee Patrick Harvie wouldn't like your suggestion not one wee bitty. 

I saw a bus this morning. It wasn’t using the bus lane!

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Big lad, are you?  :whistling: :wink:

Absolutely agree with your last point.  :icon14:

No, I’ve 2 season tickets, one for me & another for my son. If I had known the state how Sunday morning was going to pan out & the lack of city link buses to get me there on time (trains obviously on strike), I would have made sure that the club had the chance to occupy the seats. Public transport is really poor if I’m being honest. 

Well I woke up on Sunday morning and felt like dug shit, sweats, coughing ( a lot), stuffed up. So took a Covid test ( lateral flow one ) and it was negative. Decided not to go as I didn't fancy sitting in ma seat coughing ma heid aff. As the day went on I got worse,so took another test again negative. Gutted I missed the game, but it was right for me not to go just to be on the safe side. Turns out I had a stinking cold which developed into a nasty chesty cough, oh well, now on the mend.

6 minutes ago, micole said:

Well I woke up on Sunday morning and felt like dug shit, sweats, coughing ( a lot), stuffed up. So took a Covid test ( lateral flow one ) and it was negative. Decided not to go as I didn't fancy sitting in ma seat coughing ma heid aff. As the day went on I got worse,so took another test again negative. Gutted I missed the game, but it was right for me not to go just to be on the safe side. Turns out I had a stinking cold which developed into a nasty chesty cough, oh well, now on the mend.

I think this scenario would explain the empty seats as I would have followed the same protocol.  

18 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

There are no service buses use that section of the M8 a complete waste of money 

What bugs me with empty seats is if you look at the Livingston home ticket sales the ends of the stands behind goals have 1 seat in the row looks like they never get sold and in the main stand either side has 4/5 seats but the seat next to the wall is never on sale would be 70 seats in main never getting sold same with the other stands . 

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, Devorgilla said:

I think I’m right in thinking that season ticket holders can watch on Hearts TV if they cannot get to Tynecastle, or if Covid concerns deterring them etc.?  If so that would seem to add more complications to releasing a season ticket for one match for sale to others - what is to stop somebody releasing it for sale but still watching on Hearts TV?   Would seem awfully complicated to administer this season.  Hopefully Covid not an issue next season or others.

You are right and I assume the continued live video availability to UK based ST holders is another of the many reasons for empty seats. 

I used to have an ST at the Emirates and if you released your seat you were crediited with a share of the revenue from you seat if sold - something like 25 or 30%, maybe slightly more. At Emirates prices it was a fair whack deducted from the following season's ST price.

I was plesantly surprised at the size of the crowd given the difficulties in travelling for the noon kick off and the variou blocks of seats empty due to Covid restrictions  around the two tunnels and for segregation at each end of the Roseburn, Covid isolation etc etc.. I don't know why the block next to police control room at the Gorgie end of the main stand is unoccupied. The maximum capacity if all seats are occupied is less than 20,000 and Sunday's actual capacity could not have been as much as 19,000. Sell outs rarely reach Sunday's level of occupancy - they certainly didn't at Arsenal  even for derbies.

Edited by Francis Albert