Gorgie Road Entry

Wee Hammy

Does anyone have any info on the reason entry via the Gorgie Road turnstiles was restricted to those in Gorgie Stand only and why it wasn’t publicised in advance. Like many thousands in the wheatfield stand I’ve always entered from Gorgie Road without a problem. Today was greeted by guy shouting that only those in Gorgie stand will get in as system has been changed. When challenged he invited people to try their luck but that it wouldn’t work - great customer services. Haven’t seen a queue round at wheatfield that big in a long time

They need to get that sorted pronto as I walked up from the Murrayfield side of Sainsbury's and it took me 20 minutes in a queue to get in.

I left the house and was waiting on a bus at Drumbrae by 10.30am in case anyone asks if I left it to the last minute.

2 minutes ago, Wee Hammy said:

Does anyone have any info on the reason entry via the Gorgie Road turnstiles was restricted to those in Gorgie Stand only and why it wasn’t publicised in advance. Like many thousands in the wheatfield stand I’ve always entered from Gorgie Road without a problem. Today was greeted by guy shouting that only those in Gorgie stand will get in as system has been changed. When challenged he invited people to try their luck but that it wouldn’t work - great customer services. Haven’t seen a queue round at wheatfield that big in a long time

I’ve done this many times in the past. Not enough turnstiles at wheat field side. Especially when you compare how many are at the main stand side

I spoke to the stand safety officer in the wheatfield who told me that the Scanners are "stand specific" although that is some mighty IT if that is the case and that club didnot want people walking round the stadium during a pandemic. I am sure the massive queue in Wheatfield street was way more of a problem than the quick dispersal of fans if they could use any turnstyle. I also saw  a number of "wheatfielders" get in the gorgie no problem just by ignoring the steward. A letter will be sent to the club tomorrow. 

Has the system actually been changed yet? I was in the Roseburn for the Aberdeen game and went in fine via the Gorgie turnstiles.

2 minutes ago, Wee Hammy said:

It was publicised in advance. I've known at the games I've been at this season that the advice had been to enter through the turnstiles for the stand you are sitting in. Presumably part of the covid plan.

That said, 10 minutes before kick off there was an announcement at the wheatfield turnstile that there wasn't a queue at gorgoe so people could go round there. Suggests either going in the gorgie would work at any time or they are able to switch on entry to wheatfield from gorgie if required. 

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Wasn't their today but queue at Wheatfield was the same against Aberdeen.

It was longer and slower moving today. Today it went round the corner doubled back, back round the corner and back down wheatfield terrace again on the road.

2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I went in via the Gorgie end for the sheep game (ST in the wheatfield). Went in wheatfield today and there was no queue but not a surprise given it was 11am. Earliest I've been to a game ever (and the most sober, thanks Scotrail),😀

I hate big queues. Used to go really early when I took my nephews to games, get pies and snacks and just wait for the atmosphere to build. Nowadays I suffer waiting in line for the sake of extra drinking time, which is daft really.  

7 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I'm a Wheatfield season ticket holder and entered by the Gorgie Road Stand without any issues today. 

So did I, more or less bang on kick off, but there was a massive queue in Wheatfield Street. 

8 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I'm a Wheatfield season ticket holder and entered by the Gorgie Road Stand without any issues today. 

Either they switched the system when the queues were building or bs from the stewards!

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I hate big queues. Used to go really early when I took my nephews to games, get pies and snacks and just wait for the atmosphere to build. Nowadays I suffer waiting in line for the sake of extra drinking time, which is daft really.  

This is the real argument for bars in grounds (open before and possibly after match only though). I realise it's not allowed but would solve your and my issue of pre match drinking. Would also earn clubs a fair bit of cash. An easier solution is another block of turnstiles for Wheatfield.

been here before

I was stuck in the queue gor the Whestfield for 15 mins, missing the first 2 min 11 secs so not too bad.

Boy next to me got in 10 minutes late. He was telling me the Gorgie Road turnstyles werent working at all hence everyone other than the Main Stand using the Wheatfield. They finally got them up andxworking about 2.50

This may well be true as Im sure Im sure I heard an announcement whilst standing in the queue about the Gorgie end now being open and there are no queues.

As an aside that queue doubling up down the road toward the distillery as dodgy as **** when one of the big articulated lorries drove down it. Fortunate not to be any mishaps.

18 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I’ve done this many times in the past. Not enough turnstiles at wheat field side. Especially when you compare how many are at the main stand side

I sometimes used the gorgie turnstyles when in section F, was never a problem.

Just now, EIEIO said:

This is the real argument for bars in grounds (open before and possibly after match only though). I realise it's not allowed but would solve your and my issue of pre match drinking. Would also earn clubs a fair bit of cash. An easier solution is another block of turnstiles for Wheatfield.

It should be allowed in this day and age. Let everyone drink warm lager from plastic cups on the concourse from 1pm then I can wander in from the pub at 2.58 with no queues. 😀

I went in regardless. The machine let me in. 

Why they give a stand that holds 3000 fans two sets of turnstiles and a stand that holds 6000 just one set is beyond me. 

AlphonseCapone
33 minutes ago, Wee Hammy said:

28 minutes ago, brownkg said:

I spoke to the stand safety officer in the wheatfield who told me that the Scanners are "stand specific" although that is some mighty IT if that is the case and that club didnot want people walking round the stadium during a pandemic. I am sure the massive queue in Wheatfield street was way more of a problem than the quick dispersal of fans if they could use any turnstyle. I also saw  a number of "wheatfielders" get in the gorgie no problem just by ignoring the steward. A letter will be sent to the club tomorrow. 

Season ticket in the Wheatfield and got in through Gorgie stand no bother. Its a steward that physically let's you in using their foot to let the turnstile move, nothing to do with the scanning process so any suggestions it's not possible technically is nonsense, as me getting in demonstrates. 

Tried to get in Gorgie and was turned back by the stewards. Headed round to Wheatfield and queued for 20 minutes.  Get to the front of queue and the tannoys are blaring out that there's no queues in Gorgie head round there. 

Seemed G4S trying to be jobsworths. 

been here before
1 minute ago, Jambo92 said:

Polis on Wheatfield Road told a few folk to address any complaints to "The Hearts Management" as they decided to manage "the situation like this".

Not sure what Neilson had to do with it.

Mistake by the stewards (or Hearts?) today, i heard one stopping people saying the scanner won't accept Wheatfield tickets and just walked past and entered as normal.

Edited by leith_dude

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Tried to get in Gorgie and was turned back by the stewards. Headed round to Wheatfield and queued for 20 minutes.  Get to the front of queue and the tannoys are blaring out that there's no queues in Gorgie head round there. 

I was the same, to be fair the G4S guy at the Wheatfield basically admitted they had made an arse of it and would sort it in future.

Wonder what it’ll be like with these vaccine passports

Ronald Villiers

I used my mates ticket and for some reason thought it was Section G but was actually section N.  Got in through the Wheatfield turnstiles no hassle after queuing for ages and realising my mistake.

2 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

I was the same, to be fair the G4S guy at the Wheatfield basically admitted they had made an arse of it and would sort it in future.

Wonder what it’ll be like with these vaccine passports

If they learn and fix it then that's all we can ask. Had a lengthy queue at Aberdeen match too but admittedly that was closer to kick off.  The ground has same number of seats as before covid so not buying any covid protocols chat.

Utter nonsense not to allow any ST holder into the Wheatfield via the Gorgie Rd entrances and vice versa. I entered the ground for the Aberdeen game via the Gorgie Rd stand although my seat is in the Wheatfield. No problems at all. Someone should get their arse kicked for this shambles. When I tried to enter via the Gorgie Rd turnstiles behind the church today there was very few people going through.

Am I right in thinking this isn't the first time this has happened?

Seem to recall the exact same situation with stewards turning away fans from the Gorgie Road turnstiles maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Whitburn Hearts

My card wouldn't scan at Gorgie turnstiles for the Gorgie stand , was told to go to the big gate instead . Went to the big gate only to be told I was already in . Not a big issue really but still not right . 

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Seem to recall the exact same situation with stewards turning away fans from the Gorgie Road turnstiles maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Think you are correct. Again it was a LC game or first home league game and exactly the same situation arose where the Wheatfield queue was massive with loads not getting in for KO. I recall it was sorted for the next game but the club should be learning from past mistakes.

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You're right, jobsworth stewards saying no entry to Wheatfield via Gorgie but turnstiles worked no problem

This issue comes up now and again. Normally from stewards not used to the logistics of the stadium. I think you should be able to use any turnstile at the stadium since the concourse all linked up

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

They need to get that sorted pronto as I walked up from the Murrayfield side of Sainsbury's and it took me 20 minutes in a queue to get in.

I left the house and was waiting on a bus at Drumbrae by 10.30am in case anyone asks if I left it to the last minute.

I must’ve been lucky.  Left house at 10:25. On a 22 by 10:40, Murrayfield Sports bar by 10:55.   Left at 11:30 and was in the ground through Wheatfield Turnstiles 10 mins before KO.

Queued for the Gorgie road entrance and then being told to enter at the Wheatfield. Have to freely admit I saw someone I knew relatively close to the turnstiles and surreptitiously cosied in.Felt a bit guilty but 65 plus years following Hearts felt I deserved a little bit leeway 

Queued up with my mate at the Gorgie road end our tickets are wheatfield

Just got to the corner when the woman steward shouts gorgie stand tickets only!!!

headed round to wheatfield and queue was horrendous 

police woman said go round to gorgie road you’ll get in there.

told her we’d just been sent around from there.

she just shook her head and said it was a joke 

headed back up to try gorgie but halfway up the street a wee gate at the car park part opened and a steward with a scanner started letting folk in there.

See clubs response to entry problem at Hibs game - thankfully a one off.  

“Thank you for taking the time to email the club. I’m very sorry to hear about the issues you encountered at the Hibernian fixture.

I have spoken to the clubs Safety and Security Officer to try and understand the circumstances and the route of the issue was a Steward Supervisor who did not follow the match specific brief for this fixture. 

As you may have been aware from attending our reduced capacity matches, we were minimising the risks from Covid of people mixing and as such we strictly enforced no movement between stands.  We also asked supporters to enter via the turnstiles related to their ticket and had barriers on the concourses to stop migration between stands. Now that we have returned to full capacity fixtures these measures are no longer required.  Unfortunately, the Steward Supervisor in the Gorgie Stand had not been present at the Aberdeen fixture and was under the impression that these protocols were still in place, despite the match briefing that was given by the club, as a result supporters were incorrectly turned away from the Gorgie Stand turnstiles when attempting to enter.

Once the club became aware of the crowd issue on Wheatfield place a tannoy announcement was made, which had some effect and people in the queue at Wheatfield and also walking down the street did hear it and chose to go back to the Gorgie turnstiles which were very quiet nearer to kick off.  Many of the people in the queue decided that they would stay put and faced a slight delay in getting into the stadium.

The club can only apologise for the inconvenience this caused you and other supporters.  We can assure you that our normal procedures will be in place from turnstile opening for our next home match against Livingston and supporters will be able to enter via both turnstiles as normal.  We will also make sure supporters are aware of this in pre-match communications.”

6 minutes ago, Wee Hammy said:

“Thank you for taking the time to email the club. I’m very sorry to hear about the issues you encountered at the Hibernian fixture.

I have spoken to the clubs Safety and Security Officer to try and understand the circumstances and the route of the issue was a Steward Supervisor who did not follow the match specific brief for this fixture. 

As you may have been aware from attending our reduced capacity matches, we were minimising the risks from Covid of people mixing and as such we strictly enforced no movement between stands.  We also asked supporters to enter via the turnstiles related to their ticket and had barriers on the concourses to stop migration between stands. Now that we have returned to full capacity fixtures these measures are no longer required.  Unfortunately, the Steward Supervisor in the Gorgie Stand had not been present at the Aberdeen fixture and was under the impression that these protocols were still in place, despite the match briefing that was given by the club, as a result supporters were incorrectly turned away from the Gorgie Stand turnstiles when attempting to enter.

Once the club became aware of the crowd issue on Wheatfield place a tannoy announcement was made, which had some effect and people in the queue at Wheatfield and also walking down the street did hear it and chose to go back to the Gorgie turnstiles which were very quiet nearer to kick off.  Many of the people in the queue decided that they would stay put and faced a slight delay in getting into the stadium.

The club can only apologise for the inconvenience this caused you and other supporters.  We can assure you that our normal procedures will be in place from turnstile opening for our next home match against Livingston and supporters will be able to enter via both turnstiles as normal.  We will also make sure supporters are aware of this in pre-match communications.”

Good news - thanks for sharing. Hope the ****ing numpty of a steward who decided not to listen to the pre-match brief got the riot act read to him/her 🙄. But aye, Sunday was a nightmare. We got there about 11:30 and by the time we had queued along Wheatfield Rd, round the corner past the bowling green and across the road to the bridge and all the way back again, we'd missed the first 5mins of the game with hundreds still to get in behind us.

My half sister

Is there no communication between stewards and police on match day. As the large queue developed at the Wheatfield, there were many of them standing watching and chose to do nothing about it.  

Football fans treated as third class citizens again!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Wee Hammy said:

So whoever informs the Stewards either didn’t do their jobs or they ignored it, or G4S are ****ing hopeless. 
Now all they have to fix is the season ticket issue that hundreds of us have had in the main stand and also two youngsters working in the top small TO on match days that results in a huge queue across the plaza. Shambles. 

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So whoever informs the Stewards either didn’t do their jobs or they ignored it, or G4S are ****ing hopeless. 
Now all they have to fix is the season ticket issue that hundreds of us have had in the main stand and also two youngsters working in the top small TO on match days that results in a huge queue across the plaza. Shambles. 

I would get rid of G4S, if only so we can bin that tarpaulin in the Roseburn for segregation. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

I would get rid of G4S, if only so we can bin that tarpaulin in the Roseburn for segregation. 

As dodgy a company as you’re ever likely to find, not that we don’t deal with a few others too despite our reputation for not doing so. 
We should have a moveable Perspex screen of some sort, there’s plenty of that going around that can melted down and reconstituted. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

As dodgy a company as you’re ever likely to find, not that we don’t deal with a few others too despite our reputation for not doing so. 
We should have a moveable Perspex screen of some sort, there’s plenty of that going around that can melted down and reconstituted. 

If we have to have a tarp then either one with the club crest or just plain maroon would look better than a free advert for a security company