Match ratings vs the vermin playing with 12 (ref included)

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gordon - 10 - MoM. Stunned that in a game we should have won, he was just incredible and stopped them stealing it.

Smith - 6 - Clearly not 100% but his substitution unsettled us. We never had the same balance afterwards

Kingsley - 7 - Defensively solid and his passing was generally fine

Souttar - 6 - His worst game this season and his worst was just average. A couple of unnecessary loose moments

Haring - 7 - Excellent first half, faded a little in the second and may have been replaced had we not used all our subs

Baningime - 9 - Dominant in the middle of the park and so tidy with the ball. On any other day, he would have been MoM

Halkett - 8 - Started ropily but really came on to a game throughout. Won everything in the air

Cochrane - 6 - Disappointed when in the attacking third as he never wanted to hit the byline. Corners were patchy as well

Woodburn - 7 - Some delightful vision and a decent first half strike

Boyce - 6 - Didn't get much to come off for him but wasn't getting anything out of that ref either

Mackay-Steven - 6 - Linked up nicely with Woodburn on occasions. Denied by a cracking save from winning the game

Subs:

Ginnelly - 3 - Disappointing. Won't get back in the starting eleven with cameos like that

Moore - 3 - Didn't do much. One good pass of note

McKay - 6 - Despite the Jack Grealish look, I thought he was excellent. Would like to see him link with Woodburn as I think they would be on the same wavelength

I agree with the starting 11 but for the subs I’d give Moore a 2 and Ginelly a 2.

Moore didn’t look comfortable at right back at all and we lost any threat down that side once Woodburn and Smith went off - I don’t think he is a capable fill in for Smith like it was thought he would be.

Ginelly was pants. 

Gordon - 10 - Faultless. Without him we lose today

Smith - 6 - Gives everything but is the weak link going forward. Needs a rest

Kingsley - 7 - Good game

Souttar - 6 - Not at bud imperious best

Haring - 8 - He’s not the quickest but calm, gets us forward and doesn’t waste much

Baningime - 10 MOTM - Dominant, calm, composed, class and ALWAYS finds a maroon jersey. I’m impressed every game. Legend in the making. Seems so modest too. You could tell, post match he’s not used to media attention  

Halkett - 7 -  nervy start but improved as the game went on. Solid, particularly in the air

Cochrane - 6 - He’s a bit meh. He’s okay but, every game he’s like an afterthought. “Oh yeah, he was alright”

Woodburn - 7 - Looks a real threat and, considering he’s just here a very good game

Boyce - 6 - Not at his best. Too isolated and needs support. 

Mackay-Steven - 7 - Really coming into the game when subbed

Subs:

Ginnelly - 4 - Didn’t make the impact we hoped for but, a few times had the ball and no one to pass forward to. Needs players bursting from midfield 

Moore - 3 - Ok but nothing of note to do

McKay - 6 - Quick and decent with ball. Could be a very astute signing

Overall we’ve played much worse and won

Byyy The Light

Gordon had an amazing save from Magennis but the others weren’t anything out the ordinary.  Would have been keeper error if any of them went in. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Gordon had an amazing save from Magennis but the others weren’t anything out the ordinary.  Would have been keeper error if any of them went in. 

The one from Boyle that the useless ref didn't see at the end of the first half was also a cracking save.

Gordon is reminding us what we didn't have when Poppadum Hands was between the sticks.

52 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gordon - 10 - MoM. Stunned that in a game we should have won, he was just incredible and stopped them stealing it.

Smith - 6 - Clearly not 100% but his substitution unsettled us. We never had the same balance afterwards

Souttar - 6 - His worst game this season and his worst was just average. A couple of unnecessary loose moments

Haring - 7 - Excellent first half, faded a little in the second and may have been replaced had we not used all our subs

Baningime - 9 - Dominant in the middle of the park and so tidy with the ball. On any other day, he would have been MoM

Halkett - 8 - Started ropily but really came on to a game throughout. Won everything in the air

Cochrane - 6 - Disappointed when in the attacking third as he never wanted to hit the byline. Corners were patchy as well

Boyce - 6 - Didn't get much to come off for him but wasn't getting anything out of that ref either

Mackay-Steven - 6 - Linked up nicely with Woodburn on occasions. Denied by a cracking save from winning the game

Subs:

Ginnelly - 3 - Disappointing. Won't get back in the starting eleven with cameos like that

McKay - 6 - Despite the Jack Grealish look, I thought he was excellent. Would like to see him link with Woodburn as I think they would be on the same wavelength

Gordon a 10?? Really what game were you watching. 11 at least 

Gordon 8 Routine saves for him.

Smith 6 Playing with a knock.

Souttar 6 Did OK

Halkett 6 As Souttar

Kingsley 6 Must be worth £10m if Doig is £5m

Cochrane 6 As Kingsley

Haring 6 No more than OK

Beni 8 Different class

Woodburn 7 Thought he played well

GMS 5 Needs to be involved more, poor efforts on goal.

Boyce 4 Not at it today.

Ginnelly 4 Slow start to season continued for him

Moore 4 Did OK

McKay 5 Tried to drive forward, chased back well.

LarrysRightFoot

Souttar getting average marks - I noticed on the BBC comments Yogi said he was the best player on the park (outside the keepers). 

Top 3 for me were Beni, Gordon and Woodburn in that order

The ref was abysmal from a Hearts perspective - gave Hibs every 50/50

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thought Halkett was decent too. Unfortunately , of the three subs only McKay made any positive contribution.

Nothing much to quibble about with Geoff’s OP. Maybe a point less or more here or there but pretty much nailed it. Subs were all pretty counter productive today I thought. 

Just back from Tynecastle, best game I've seen Halkett play for us. One slip aside, he won everything in the air, made numerous blocks and tackles & one break out from defence driving towards the Hibs box, had me telling my mate we should call him Halkenbauer.

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Thought Halkett was decent too. Unfortunately , of the three subs only McKay made any positive contribution.

Agreed. Beni excellent but too many defensive minded players and boyce not at the races.

Ginnelly terrible when he came on.

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

His save from Boyle's deflected effort at the end of the first half was excellent. 

22 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

His save from Boyle's deflected effort at the end of the first half was excellent. 

Ref didn't think he saved it, it was that good

50 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Halkett was absolutely abysmal. Watch the game back. Constant misplaced passes, only positive thing he done was his run at the end.

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Souttar getting average marks - I noticed on the BBC comments Yogi said he was the best player on the park (outside the keepers). 

Deserves a point knocked off for a horror pass at the back that almost gifted Hibs a goal.

Edited by Ray Gin

been here before
7 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Halkett was absolutely abysmal. Watch the game back. Constant misplaced passes, only positive thing he done was his run at the end.

This is how I saw it. Had his moments but at least 4 times he passed the ball straight to a white shirt without even looking up. First one was in his own box. Improved a wee bit later on.

Edited by been here before

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

This is how I saw it. Had his moments but at least 4 times he passed the ball straight to a white shirt without even looking up. First one was in his own box. Improved a wee bit later on.

Halkett was in my opinion our best defender , first 10 mins he was shaky but never put a foot wrong after that . 
What I did feel strange was it was him not Souttar that was getting the ball from our sublime goalkeeper to start the moves 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Subs:

Pretty much as I saw it. 

Referee was an embarrassment. 

18 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Disagree totally , one error today same as Souttar. I have been a critic of Halkett on many an occasion but today he played well. All about opinions.

28 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Disagree totally , one error today same as Souttar. I have been a critic of Halkett on many an occasion but today he played well. All about opinions.

He made more than one error, he was quite sloppy in the first half. 

9 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Gordon had a fantastic game but thpught Beni was outstanding.

He was my MOTM

beni was just his usual mate 10/10

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

beni was just his usual mate 10/10

There's an argument he's been MOM every single week hes been here. What a capture!

The Wrinkly Ninja

Gordon 8

Smith 4

Cochrane 6

Souttar 6

Halkett 5

Kinglsley 6

Haring 5

Beningime 8

Mackay-Steven 4

Woodman 7

Boyce 4

Ginnelly 2

McKay 4

Moore 3

Can only go with what I seen on hearts TV but

Gordon - 10 at least 3 top class saves.

Souttar - 6 looked nervous and made a few mistakes today.

Halkett - 6 Shaky to start, became more solid as game went on but almost made a very costly mistake early on.

Kingsley - 7 Solid.

Cochrane - 6 Was ok, need more from him going forward though.

Smith - 6 when he went off we looked less comfortable and a little unbalanced.

Haring - 7 thought he was comfortable and controlled the tempo.

Beni - 9 Just brilliant, stole the ball constantly.

GMS - 5 thought he was poor, should have scored our best chance, he has missed 3 sitters, 3 games in a row now.

Boyce - 7 worked hard but never got a clear cut chance today.

Woodburn - 9 thought he was excellent, very intelligent player, who reads the game well and you can tell he has played at a high level.

Gino - 3 Not his day, was very poor.

Moore - 4 done ok, clearly not a Rwb though.

McKay - 6 thought he was decent, injected a bit of pace and urgency into the team that was lacking.

Referee - 0 had a shocker, had his blindfold on most of the game, especially when boyce was getting fouled.

Thought Halkett was worth 7. Sure he made a couple of errors in the first 15 minutes but that's cos Gordon kept feeding him at the back when he had no obvious pass on. CG should have blootered it. He played well after that.

Boyce once again was all alone up there with nobody close to him to pick up flicks and passes. He had to come back looking for the ball and on one occasion when Cochrane was in a position to cross there wasn't a soul in their box. He had to go back. Criminal. This has to be sorted. Can't give him more than 4 but really not his fault.

Otherwise same as Geoff.

Slightly off topic but when I reflect on comments on here and match reports, I still don't know where the goals are going to come from.

Boyce will clearly get a few but not enough.  We need a predator.

Just watched the replay, and my only real disagreement with Geoff would be that I'd have Woodburn a point or two higher. Nothing much came of what he did because he wasn't in sync with his teammates but if he can keep up that creative streak and those sneaky touches, he's going to be an immense amount of fun to watch and will make some goals out of nothing for us.

Gino is clearly at his best when Gnanduillet is on the pitch. Funny one -- he can be outstanding with the ball in front of him facing goal but can't do it with his back turned. He had the ball and a defender isolated in space a few times but could never get turned around. Well scouted, I suppose.

Beningame -- my goodness, what a player we have.

Halkett had a very messy opening 20 minutes but was superb the rest of the way. He did more to stop Hibs movements than anyone else, got forward well several times, and generally controlled his area thoroughly. Based on the last 70 I don't know what else you'd expect him to do, particularly on a day when Souttar was surprisingly anonymous.

Not really a match rating but in terms of overall quality of the football from both sides, this was one of the better derbies I've watched. So often Edinburgh derbies can be high on drama but low on quality as the chipiness and emotion dominates. There was plenty of jawing and kicking today but also really enjoyable, dynamic football from both sides. A draw or a Hearts win would have been a fair result, despite Hibs having the best chances to steal it late. Gordon was imperious but Macey did very well too. I can see why Hibs fans revere Boyle -- a true threat any time he got a bit of space.

14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon 10

Smith 7

Souttar 7

Halkett 7

Kingsley 7

Cochrane 7

Haring 7

Beni 9

Woodburn 8

GMS 7

Boyce 7

McKay 6

Gino 4

Moore 4

2/10 for Nick Walsh as he got one or two right, overall he was a ****ing joke. 

Beni best player on the park get used 2 it this season as no way will he be with us next season 2 good a bottom half prem team or a championship team will pay for him unfortunately 

6 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Agreed 

9 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agreed 

Garbage , best Hearts defender on the pitch , his first 15 mins was shaky but after that he stepped up , your mask must’ve been over your eyes ffs 

15 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

I agree. The amount of times he gave the ball away or just punted it forward was frustrating. 

Abysmal is too harsh though. 

Edited by Des Lynam

12 hours ago, Ayrjamtart said:

Beni best player on the park get used 2 it this season as no way will he be with us next season 2 good a bottom half prem team or a championship team will pay for him unfortunately 

No chance 

he’s decent but not that good mate

37 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

No chance 

he’s decent but not that good mate

Only decent? He’s absolutely class. On his showings so far, one of the best signings we’ve made in many a year. He won’t be here long and will make us £. 

Just now, MattyK82 said:

Only decent? He’s absolutely class. On his showings so far, one of the best signings we’ve made in many a year. He won’t be here long and will make us £. 

They can keep the £££

I'd rather have the player. 

Until such time as the player himself demands a move. 

18 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Not for me. Not a great game by his standards. Beaten too easily in the air a couple of times and a horrific lazy pass that could have costs us dearly.

37 minutes ago, luckydug said:

They can keep the £££

I'd rather have the player. 

Until such time as the player himself demands a move. 

Oh absolutely. I’m not advocating him leaving by any means! I just think if he keeps performing to this level consistently, the club may get an offer they can’t refuse. Hopefully not though!

18 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Had good spells and still a bit dodgy with the header back to Craig had plenty time must of got a shout and still headed it back Boyle pounced if it wasn't for Craig coming out like Superman it could of been a goal. 

19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Was it a red and free kick on edge of the box in the 1st half?  Ref gave it the other way. 

3 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Was it a red and free kick on edge of the box in the 1st half?  Ref gave it the other way. 

Boyce did clip his heel but McGinn was already falling in trying to block Boycies turn.

Ref like Waish is always going to take the easy option.

20 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

The Mackay Steven down to his right save was better than any Gordon made IMO. 

12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

The Mackay Steven down to his right save was better than any Gordon made IMO. 

It’s a cliche but for a huge guy he gets down very quickly. 

Edited by GinRummy