The Phone call at the airport

Notts1874

I know this is an old story but........The phone call to Mr McGee went something along the lines of "If you stay with Motherwell and the Celtic job becomes available you will stand a chance of getting the job....but if you go to Tynecastle you will never be considered for the Celtic job"

Source:A director at Motherwell.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

Is that because Hearts have leanings towards being a Protestant club?

Serious question.

The People's Chimp

The celtic fans hate hearts and even come up with the ludicrous claim that we are a more bigotted support than rankgers. These idiotic views may be replicated amongst the sellik board.

ToadKiller Dog

So john boyle usesd emmotional blackmail knowing Mcghee support for celtic was his week point and played the bigot card so what alls fair in love and war.

He would have shat on us to go to celtic

Yeh but the op is saying that Celtic wouldnt have been as keen on him if he were the hearts man at the time...

Could be true but just cant see it as they were happy to take HEllvis and even give him the armband and one point iirc.

Nah, struggle to believe it and if MM did he really should have thought about it.

Just worked that out???

It was precisely my reason for NOT wanting him at Hearts. Plus the fact he WILL be a one season wonder!

I know this is an old story but........The phone call to Mr McGee went something along the lines of "If you stay with Motherwell and the Celtic job becomes available you will stand a chance of getting the job....but if you go to Tynecastle you will never be considered for the Celtic job"

Don't believe a word of it all MM had to do say to Boyle was "Hartley and Pressley". Anyway i doubt MM will ever be considered for the celtic job it is too big for him IMO.

Why?

Is that because Hearts have leanings towards being a Protestant club?

Serious question.

there is always 1 :rolleyes:

Posted in the Member's Area on 28th May.

More like...

Day 1: Just booked my cases on the Vilnius flight but got a call from JB saying that my beloved Smeltic will come calling within the next 12 months. All i have to do is keep my nose clean at Motherwell, Smeltic get to put one over the Jambos AND JB will get more compensation from the East end of Glasgow.

"Get my bags off that f*****g flight now!!"

Independence

I have no doubt that this is the reason McGhee turned us down .

The day before he made his way to London he was at Parkhead with his players at the PO testimonial game. It is fact that he was with Celic directors that day.

I find it hard that people don't accept this!!!!

Clerry Jambo
Don't believe a word of it all MM had to do say to Boyle was "Hartley and Pressley". Anyway i doubt MM will ever be considered for the celtic job it is too big for him IMO.

Agree 100% Dazo

Drylaw Hearts

The day before he made his way to London he was at Parkhead with his players at the PO testimonial game. It is fact that he was with Celic directors that day.

Then why would he go to the bother of going to London and sitting in an Airport Lounge if he had already been given the wink ?

Only a Game

You think the reason was that Celtic wouldnt employ him in the future if he spent time at Hearts ?

Or you think he was tipped the wink that Strachan was leaving imminently ?

Independence
Then why would he go to the bother of going to London and sitting in an Airport Lounge if he had already been given the wink ?

I don't know!!!

However, he could have had discussions with the Celtic board, discussed it further with them on the way down to London and then had certain questions/answers confirmed by phone at the airport.

No one will ever know the full story.

Hat kickers like yourself will continue to blame VR, because it suits your agenda. Time will tell!!!

Drylaw Hearts
Agree 100% Dazo

Ditto.

Also......

Celtic have only only recruited 1 Manager from another Scottish Club in 25 years - Tommy Burns.

Going to other Scottish Clubs is not normally something they do.

Drylaw Hearts
I don't know!!!

However, he could have had discussions with the Celtic board, discussed it further with them on the way down to London and then had certain questions/answers confirmed by phone at the airport.

Hat kickers like yourself will continue to blame VR, because it suits your agenda. Time will tell!!!

Yet you seem to have no doubt what happened !!

:confused:

Independence
You think the reason was that Celtic wouldnt employ him in the future if he spent time at Hearts ?

Or you think he was tipped the wink that Strachan was leaving imminently ?

No to the first question.

Yes to the second, although I believe Strachan will leave next summer. By then MM will have had European experience and be able to take over the team he has always loved.

Why would he have promised Hearts that he would be joining them and then make such a dramatic turn at the last minute. He would have known about the extent of VRs intereference before this as I am sure that it would have been the SECOND question he asked. The first would have been about money.

Only a Game
I don't know!!!

You just said you were in "no doubt" about what happened ?

Only a Game

Yes to the second, although I believe Strachan will leave next summer. By then MM will have had European experience and be able to take over the team he has always loved.

Why would he have promised Hearts that he would be joining them and then make such a dramatic turn at the last minute. He would have known about the extent of VRs intereference before this as I am sure that it would have been the SECOND question he asked. The first would have been about money.

My personal opinion is that his gut feeling was that he wasnt sure he could trust Romanov, no matter what had been said or promised or not promised and that he knew if he got on that flight the deal was sealed. I think he had a last minute moment of clarity and decided not to take the risk. I dont believe there was ANY magical phone call. He did it all on his own.

If he has another decent season with Motherwell he could well be in line for a bigger job back down south. It wont be at Celtic though, not ever, because Celtic themselves think they are bigger than McGhee.

If he'd taken the Hearts job, perhaps he felt he would be watching his back on a daily basis and it simply wasnt worth it.

Drylaw Hearts

Maybe he changed just geniunely his mind ??

Maybe the advice given to him by SAF and Strachan took a while to hit home.

shaun.lawson
My personal opinion is that his gut feeling was that he wasnt sure he could trust Romanov, no matter what had been said or promised or not promised and that he knew if he got on that flight the deal was sealed. I think he had a last minute moment of clarity and decided not to take the risk.

If he has another decent season with Motherwell he could well be in line for a bigger job back down south. It wont be at Celtic though, not ever, because Celtic themselves think they are bigger than McGhee.

If he'd taken the Hearts job, perhaps he felt he would be watching his back on a daily basis and it simply wasnt worth it.

I honestly don't know about that. It'll depend on others, like Moyes, Keane (my current bet as Strachan's likely successor) and possibly Mowbray... but I think I can guess who WGS' recommendation to his board would be. He's great mates with McGhee, after all.

Miller Jambo 60

Glad he never came to Hearts hardly big profile.

Whats he won as a manager.

And one minging smile.

Only a Game
I honestly don't know about that. It'll depend on others, like Moyes, Keane (my current bet as Strachan's likely successor) and possibly Mowbray... but I think I can guess who WGS' recommendation to his board would be. He's great mates with McGhee, after all.

Celtic is a massive job in British football, certainly in the top 6. And although not many of their recent managers have not managed at the very highest level before going there I think, if Strachan goes, they''ll want someone with a bit more high end experience or at least the gravitas to be able to take them into the latter stages of the Champions league. Cant see them going foreign again (non British I mean) so that to me leaves the likes of Moyes and possibly Mowbray and Keane, as you said. McGhee is at least one step down in class and capability from that group IMO

Only a Game

And one minging smile.

Doug,

Lets see who we actually get before we go dismissing McGhee as not being as good as we would have wanted.

shaun.lawson
Celtic is a massive job in British football, certainly in the top 6. And although not many of their recent managers have not managed at the very highest level before going there I think, if Strachan goes, they''ll want someone with a bit more high end experience or at least the gravitas to be able to take them into the latter stages of the Champions league. Cant see them going foreign again (non British I mean) so that to me leaves the likes of Moyes and possibly Mowbray and Keane, as you said. McGhee is at least one step down in class and capability from that group IMO

I'd say McGhee is on a par with Mowbray, personally - though if TM does well in the Prem with the Baggies, his profile will clearly rise. Definitely know what you mean re: them going for a 'name' next time: equally though, they're generally a cautious, conservative board, so I do think McGhee remains a dark horse for the job, at least.

shaun.lawson

And one minging smile.

Who do you want as manager Doug?

Independence

Oh for goodness sake!!! Sorry for stating 'no doubt' as it has been taken the wrong way.

However, having watched the ugly sisters treat all the other teams in Scottish Football like s*** for over 40+ years, I am sure you would agree that it does not stretch the imagination too far to think that Celtic had a part to play in all this!!!

I certainly do not, unlike some posters, blame VR for everything that goes wrong at Hearts. I wish other Hearts fans would leave that to the gutter press.

I do agree with his description of the OF as 'mafia like' and good on him for saying what many of us feel and have been thinking for years.

Miller Jambo 60
Doug,

Lets see who we actually get before we go dismissing McGhee as not being as good as we would have wanted.

You have a point :)

Independence
Maybe he changed just geniunely his mind ??

Maybe the advice given to him by SAF and Strachan took a while to hit home.

This is laughable!

Drylaw Hearts
This is laughable!

?

Why ?

McGhee has already stated he spoke to them both who advised him against taking the job ?

Plus he did change his mind - didn't he ?

;)

Posted in the Member's Area on 28th May.

Your version sounds more believable, really cant see MM not taking the job because celtic wouldnt want to take him from hearts due to the anti hearts stance from Celtic.

MM Joining us and not doing well for what ever reason could how ever have put his celtic move in doubt.

It wont be hard for him to look like he's doing a decent job @ motherwell.

Only a Game
Oh for goodness sake!!! Sorry for stating 'no doubt' as it has been taken the wrong way.

However, having watched the ugly sisters treat all the other teams in Scottish Football like s*** for over 40+ years, I am sure you would agree that it does not stretch the imagination too far to think that Celtic had a part to play in all this!!!

I certainly do not, unlike some posters, blame VR for everything that goes wrong at Hearts. I wish other Hearts fans would leave that to the gutter press.

I do agree with his description of the OF as 'mafia like' and good on him for saying what many of us feel and have been thinking for years.

All good, and as you say, I dare say we will never know, but surely you can accept that his fears about working for Romanov were at least as likely to be the cause of the change of heart, as the fact that Celtic had hinted to him to hold off because they fancied him for their job, despite the fact that they already have a manager.

Do you not think that McGhee would have told his mate Strachan that they were already laying the groundwork, behind his back, for when he leaves, or do you think that Strachan knew full well that HIS job was being touted to others and thought that was an okay thing to be doing ?

Your version sounds more believable, really cant see MM not taking the job because celtic wouldnt want to take him from hearts due to the anti hearts stance from Celtic.

MM Joining us and not doing well for what ever reason could how ever have put his celtic move in doubt.

It wont be hard for him to look like he's doing a decent job @ motherwell.

Put yourself in MM's shoes. He's checked his bags onto the Vilnius flight and he's now in Costa Coffee in Stansted. He gets a call from John Boyle - what could JB possibly say to MM over the phone that he hasn't said face to face over the last 2 months to get him to remain at Motherwell?

"We'll up your salary to ?120K" - nope, the Hearts job was paying ?350K.

"Celtic have been in touch after we bumped into them at Parkhead yesterday and they'll pay us more compo than Hearts......" - that'll do it!

Independence
?

Why ?

McGhee has already stated he spoke to them both who advised him against taking the job ?

Plus he did change his mind - didn't he ?

;)

Because, this was as near to a done deal as possible. Hearts were certain he was coming. That is why we are in the position, we are, regarding the managers vacancy.

Someone phoned him with a better deal, as I have stated above, at the last minute and that would save Celtic big compensation in the future.

It is my OPINION that there was no plan B as Hearts didn't think it was needed!!!

I also believe VR's comments yesterday reflected my theory!!!

However, if you are a dedicated 'hat kicker' you will continue to blame VR.

shaun.lawson
Craig L or Robbo .

Um, what have they ever won as a manager? :biggrin:

To be serious though: I'd love it if we could get Levein, but we can't unfortunately. Robbo I'm not convinced by at all (his track record is average going on poor), and would certainly prefer Jefferies to him: but we ain't getting JJ either. Which leaves us in a right old mess. :confused:

Drylaw Hearts
Because, this was as near to a done deal as possible. Hearts were certain he was coming. That is why we are in the position, we are, regarding the managers vacancy.

Someone phoned him with a better deal, as I have stated above, at the last minute and that would save Celtic big compensation in the future.

It is my OPINION that there was no plan B as Hearts didn't think it was needed!!!

Oh my.

Where on earth have I blamed VR for MM changing his mind ?

You're so hell bent on defending him in every post you are forgetting to check if he's actually getting blamed for anything.

shaun.lawson

Yes, this is correct: in which case, more fool Hearts. Quite why you've taken his flight to Lithuania as a sign it was a 'done deal', I've absolutely no idea: he was going over there for eight days! All manner of things could've gone wrong during that period: it's just that something else did just as he was about to board the plane.

Which leaves us where we are now: a month since the McGhee saga ended, and still no manager.

Miller Jambo 60
Um, what have they ever won as a manager? :biggrin:

To be serious though: I'd love it if we could get Levein, but we can't unfortunately. Robbo I'm not convinced by at all (his track record is average going on poor), and would certainly prefer Jefferies to him: but we ain't getting JJ either. Which leaves us in a right old mess. :confused:

Robbo is good at kicking opposing managers:)

shaun.lawson
Robbo is good at kicking opposing managers:)

Aha - now I'm with you Doug!

GORGIE RULES

He might not have came to us after realising a poor season at hearts could wreck his chances of a move to Celtic.

Yes, this is correct: in which case, more fool Hearts. Quite why you've taken his flight to Lithuania as a sign it was a 'done deal', I've absolutely no idea: he was going over there for eight days! All manner of things could've gone wrong during that period: it's just that something else did just as he was about to board the plane.

Which leaves us where we are now: a month since the McGhee saga ended, and still no manager.

Not correct.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7239&page=5#post158106

Only a Game

Lets move on to the two other managers, that we know of, who have turned us down since McGhee. Were they also promised the Celtic job ? I am sure that one or both of them cited Romanov's methodology as specifically being the reasons they wouldnt take the job

shaun.lawson

Um, which post are you pointing me towards there? It's a bloody big thread! But there's a world of difference between having two theoretical alternatives (one of whom everyone knew would say no), and a real plan for if our first choice turned us down. Otherwise Iain, why are we still in this position a month further on?

Archived