Hearts Managers In My Lifetime

Tasavallan

Looking up the stats.  Prior to the year of my birth Hearts had EIGHT manager and since the year of my birth THIRTY-ONE including Vlad's bucket of fools.

Christ! Do I feel old.  Hopefully, I will be feeling a kid again come Sunday.

HHGH

7 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

HHGH

A bit celticy 

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It was Tommy Walker when I was born in 1963, so I guess I'm on 39 too.

Feck me John your maths is shite!!   If born in 1963 you are more than 39 !!

😜

Maroon Sailor

Caught the tail end of Bobby Seith's tenure but John Hagart was the first manager I really remember Hearts having.

Cup final, Leipzig and relegation !

Alex McDonald was the manager when I started going to Tynecastle but the manager was John Harvey when I was born.
No idea how many that is up to now?

Edit: Think 37 but some of them are listed twice so maybe 34 in total. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

As I understand it (and I might be wrong!!); prior to the appointment of Tommy Walker Hearts had 8 managers. Since and including Tommy Walker there has been 32 managers. However there have been 39 appointments.

Remember there is only ONE, Alex McDonald, Jim Jeffries, Peter Houston, Craig Levein, John McGlynn, Valdas Ivanauskas & Robbie Neilson!! 

And the most appointed Hearts Manager(s)??

♥️ Alex McDonald 3 times, twice on his own and once with Sandy Jardine

and

♥️ John McGlyn 3 times, twice on his own and once with Steven Presley 

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Looking up the stats.  Prior to the year of my birth Hearts had EIGHT manager and since the year of my birth THIRTY-ONE including Vlad's bucket of fools.

HHGH

We could do with more buckets of fools.

But Tommy Walker was the manager when I was born and was there until 1964 I think. Pretty much downhill all the way since then

jambo-in-furness

Right!  I am starting to wind up for Sunday and I’m a little bit the worse for wear after a few G&T’s (household measures) 

I started going to Hearts games in 1961,  first game against Dundee,  as I said, the gin is taking effect,  can somebody do the maths for me?    Please. 

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

And the most appointed Hearts Manager(s)??

♥️ Alex McDonald 3 times, twice on his own and once with Sandy Jardine

and

♥️ John McGlyn 3 times, twice on his own and once with Steven Presley 

You've lost me.

Doddy appointed. Then made co-manager with Jardine. Sandy sacked and Doddy forced to stay on.

Is that why you say 3 times?

McGlynn 3 times, really???

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You've lost me.

Doddy appointed. Then made co-manager with Jardine. Sandy sacked and Doddy forced to stay on.

Is that why you say 3 times?

McGlynn 3 times, really???

Yes that’s correct, McDonald on his own, then with Jardine & then on his own

McGlynn:-

♥️ Jointly with Presley after Robbo & before Burley then

♥️ after Burley before Rix then

♥️ after Sergio before Locke

8 minutes ago, jambo-in-furness said:

Right!  I am starting to wind up for Sunday and I’m a little bit the worse for wear after a few G&T’s (household measures) 

I started going to Hearts games in 1961,  first game against Dundee,  as I said, the gin is taking effect,  can somebody do the maths for me?    Please. 

If (& it’s a big IF) my maths is correct, you’ve missed 8 and seen 32!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

jambo-in-furness
Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

If (& it’s a big IF) my maths is correct, you’ve missed 8 and seen 32!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

That’ll do for me foxy. Thanks 🇱🇻

5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

HHGH

You will be arrested!

17 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It was Tommy Walker when I was born in 1963, so I guess I'm on 39 too.

It was Tommy Walker when I was born in 1953. So I guess I’m on 39 too.

In the spirit of the A-Z thread the following have managed Hearts. I've included the temps.

Those in bold were before my time or, in the case of Harvey and Seith, managed when I was just a baby/toddler and before my first game in 1975.

Cathro

Clark

Fairley

Ford

Frail

Hagart

Harvey 

Houston 

Ivanauskaus

Jardine

Jefferies

Jordan

Korobochka

Laszlo 

Levein

Locke

Malofeyev

McCartney (J)

McCartney (W)

McDonald

McGhee

McGlynn

McLean (D)

McLean (T)

Moncur

Moss

Neilson 

Ormond

Pratt

Pressley

Rennie

Riabovas

Rix 

Robertson

Seith

Sergio

Stendel

Walker

Waugh

Sieth (must go) was the Manager when I started going to games, don’t know how many from when I started following Hearts as a kid in the 60s.

29 minutes ago, martoon said:

In the spirit of the A-Z thread the following have managed Hearts. I've included the temps.

Those in bold were before my time or, in the case of Harvey and Seith, managed when I was just a baby/toddler and before my first game in 1975.

Cathro

Clark

Fairley

Ford

Frail

Hagart

Harvey 

Houston 

Ivanauskaus

Jardine

Jefferies

Jordan

Korobochka

Laszlo 

Levein

Locke

Malofeyev

McCartney (J)

McCartney (W)

McDonald

McGhee

McGlynn

McLean (D)

McLean (T)

Moncur

Moss

Neilson 

Ormond

Pratt

Pressley

Rennie

Riabovas

Rix 

Robertson

Seith

Sergio

Stendel

Walker

Waugh

Good approach - BUT you have missed a B …..

George Burley!

When I was born it was Frank Moss, but I have no recollection of him.  The first manager I remember was Davie McLean.

The turnover of managers at the Club is ridiculous.  Prior to 1980 we had 13 managers, with an average tenure of over 6 years.  Since 1980 there have been 33 manager changes, with an average tenure of just over 1 year.

A little bit of continuity might improve results on the field ... that's despite me saying that after Brora etc etc etc. :wink:

16 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

But Tommy Walker was the manager when I was born and was there until 1964 I think. Pretty much downhill all the way since then

Walker left in 1966. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

When I was born it was Frank Moss, but I have no recollection of him.  The first manager I remember was Davie McLean.

The turnover of managers at the Club is ridiculous.  Prior to 1980 we had 13 managers, with an average tenure of over 6 years.  Since 1980 there have been 33 manager changes, with an average tenure of just over 1 year.

A little bit of continuity might improve results on the field ... that's despite me saying that after Brora etc etc etc. :wink:

Davie McLean of course played an enormous part in developing Walker's side. Although he never won a trophy as manager he possibly deserves a first equal in Hearts greatest mangers. JOHN McCartney of the WW1 team maybe also a canditate for that equal first position.

Hope I have got the correction in before Dave! Willie was his son and also a Hearts manager.

Edited by Francis Albert

Naisys Tackle
12 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

I had forgotten the whole McDonald/Jardine joint manager thing! That was a very bizarre one. Did it even last a season?

It wasn't successful as such but last well over a year before Mercer sacked him.  

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I blame Kickback

HeartsandonlyHearts

Booby Walker was first for me too based on my birth. Bobby Seith is the first one I remember as a fan and being interested.

We’ve had some $#!te ones but not for very long thank God.

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Walker left in 1966. 

He (Johnny Harvey) had a house in Musselburgh opposite the racecourse (Linkfield Court?), great bloke, just the wrong time, it was a changing world!

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

He (Johnny Harvey) had a house in Musselburgh opposite the racecourse (Linkfield Court?), great bloke, just the wrong time, it was a changing world!

Get a Blue Plague on the wall! It was one of these two (I think), I’m sure it

was a ‘right side’ semi!

B48BE6EE-C6EC-4D9B-888E-BB1691DCFBF0.jpeg

3 hours ago, jambo1975 said:

I had forgotten the whole McDonald/Jardine joint manager thing! That was a very bizarre one. Did it even last a season?

From memory, Aberdeen were eyeing Sandy as their next manager after Sir Fergie left, so WM decided to promote Sandy to equal status with Doddie as a means of keeping him at Hearts.   The dual thing seemed to coincide with some poor results - although Sandy had also retired as a player.   A real shame that the 2 of them ended up being sacked within a couple of years of each other.  

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Booby Walker was first for me too based on my birth. Bobby Seith is the first one I remember as a fan and being interested.

We’ve had some $#!te ones but not for very long thank God.

Presume you mean Tommy Walker !! 

ON a general point though- can the likes of Peter Houston be considered a Hearts manager ?  He was put in charge of the team after JJ & BB were sacked, but he'd have been called something like "interim manager" until CL was appointed fairly soon after.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Get a Blue Plague on the wall! It was one of these two (I think), I’m sure it

was a ‘right side’ semi!

B48BE6EE-C6EC-4D9B-888E-BB1691DCFBF0.jpeg

A blue plague you say ?     That'll get the Halliday haters on here  going .......... :whistling:🙂

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

From memory, Aberdeen were eyeing Sandy as their next manager after Sir Fergie left, so WM decided to promote Sandy to equal status with Doddie as a means of keeping him at Hearts.   The dual thing seemed to coincide with some poor results - although Sandy had also retired as a player.   A real shame that the 2 of them ended up being sacked within a couple of years of each other.  

ON a general point though- can the likes of Peter Houston be considered a Hearts manager ?  He was put in charge of the team after JJ & BB were sacked, but he'd have been called something like "interim manager" until CL was appointed fairly soon after.

That’s a good question!

He was appointed as full manager (I understand) twice (before and after Levein 1) and he managed the team in games so I think they qualifies him as ‘manager of Hearts’!

9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A blue plague you say ?     That'll get the Halliday haters on here  going .......... :whistling:🙂

😂 Blue Plaque! Should have gone to ‘Specsavers’!! 

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That’s a good question!

He was appointed as full manager (I understand) twice (before and after Levein 1) and he managed the team in games so I think they qualifies him as ‘manager of Hearts’!

He left with CL to go to Leicester.   When JJ & BB were sacked  (end of 2000 ?), Houston was a coach with the reserves I think -  I reckon he'd only be picking the first team for a week or 2 before CL was appointed, and he became CL's assistant.

23 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You are younger than I thought FA.  I had visions of you standing on the terracing in 1901 yelling Fairley out.  Actually you probably don't do yelling on the terracing, you seem far too sophisticated for that, so you'd more likely have been sending very angry telegrams.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, RobNox said:

You are younger than I thought FA.  I had visions of you standing on the terracing in 1901 yelling Fairley out.  Actually you probably don't do yelling on the terracing, you seem far too sophisticated for that, so you'd more likely have been sending very angry telegrams.

I did my yelling on the terracing in my day. But yes it is now just angry posts on  JKB. 

29 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

He left with CL to go to Leicester.   When JJ & BB were sacked  (end of 2000 ?), Houston was a coach with the reserves I think -  I reckon he'd only be picking the first team for a week or 2 before CL was appointed, and he became CL's assistant.

There were only two things wrong with Levein at Leicester, 1. Kenny Black & 2. Peter Houston!!

I don’t think they understood or comprehended 1. how many teams & players they would face in a season and, 2. The amount of travelling to games.

These were Scottish boys where a trip to Aberdeen was a massive journey!! In England the same distance was effectively a home game! They were out of their ‘depth’!

I think Craig Levein understood and learned from that and advised Robbie Neilson of the pitfalls of the EFL. But naive Robbie knew better! I’m sure Robbie has learned from that experience and perhaps might admit he made a mistake moving to franchise MK!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

26 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

PS Houston took over when Jeffries left and also took over when Levein left.  Both appointments not long but nevertheless he was the manager and the man in charge!

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Not only did I get the name Tommy wrong but also the name Bobby.

Who would name their son Booby?