Jump to content

Young players going out on loan to lower leagues in Scotland - are there better alternatives?


Byyy The Light

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Played in the bounce game v Airdrie so not injured

V Airdrie ? So he played for Hearts against Airdrie the team he’s loaned out to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mitch41 said:

V Airdrie ? So he played for Hearts against Airdrie the team he’s loaned out to.

Haha meant Dundee 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboinglasgow
7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

What’s happening to Scott McGill at Airdrie. Injured ? Dropped ?  Back at Hearts ?

 

he was also cup tied last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cookieboy

are Finlay Pollock and Cammy Logan going on loan ? just noticed they are listed in the first team squad on website

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

are Finlay Pollock and Cammy Logan going on loan ? just noticed they are listed in the first team squad on website

No

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
On 03/09/2021 at 17:40, ToqueJambo said:

 

 

I like the idea of sending them abroad. Only thing is it's harder for us to monitor them and keep them involved with the club, plus they might not want to come back!

 

 

The also might not want to go. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Niemi’s gloves

Both Scott McGill and Euan Henderson played the full ninety minutes for Airdrie and Alloa respectively tonight in a game Airdrie won 2-1. 
 

I know some people think league one is rather a low level for us to send players out to, but to my mind it’s better if they can establish themselves as regulars than to be sitting on the bench at a slightly higher level. Hopefully SMcG is doing that: he’s been a starter and played the full 90 in Airdrie’s last three league games after being used mainly for parts of games before that. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2021 at 17:40, ToqueJambo said:

 

 

I like the idea of sending them abroad. Only thing is it's harder for us to monitor them and keep them involved with the club, plus they might not want to come back!

 

On 05/09/2021 at 17:48, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

The also might not want to go. 

 

 

Why would the foreign clubs want them? They have youngsters in their own countries and setups that I'm sure they'd rather develop.

 

Not to mention that Hearts staff will have all sorts of links within Scottish football and far fewer abroad, it all seems a bit far fetched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

Some of the loanees got some game time tonight in a bounce game against Whitburn Juniors.

 

Hearts won 3-1, but Sean Docherty, Leo Watson and Ryan Schiavone all played (and scored).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Niemi’s gloves
12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Some of the loanees got some game time tonight in a bounce game against Whitburn Juniors.

 

Hearts won 3-1, but Sean Docherty, Leo Watson and Ryan Schiavone all played (and scored).

 

Is Sean Docherty effectively still on loan? I know he got a couple of games for Brechin against SPFL opposition in the league cup but he doesn’t seem to have featured for a fair bit now, even on the bench in the Highland league. Maybe just a case of helping Andy Kirk out while he was struggling to get bodies in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
Just now, Niemi’s gloves said:

 

Is Sean Docherty effectively still on loan? I know he got a couple of games for Brechin against SPFL opposition in the league cup but he doesn’t seem to have featured for a fair bit now, even on the bench in the Highland league. Maybe just a case of helping Andy Kirk out while he was struggling to get bodies in?

I've no idea what's going on at Brechin. Andy Kirk was there tonight as was Craig Levein.  Don't know if it was to keep an eye on Sean or if Andy was just watching his laddie play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Niemi’s gloves
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I've no idea what's going on at Brechin. Andy Kirk was there tonight as was Craig Levein.  Don't know if it was to keep an eye on Sean or if Andy was just watching his laddie play.


Shush! The conspiracy theorists will be out with “CL still pulling the strings” stuff in no time. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think a loan to the lower leagues is currently the best option, young players need games and playing in an experienced first team environment in a competitive lower league is miles better than playing reserves infront of no fans and under no pressure, if the young player in question has any talent or mental strength to make it in the game, then they will go out on loan and impress no matter which team they go to imo, see Craig Gordon, Jamie walker etc also the boy McGill is doing well at airdrie and Stone doing OK at partick at the minute, on a bigger scale, a lot of Epl teams have used the spl and English  championship to develop their young players, for example Maddison going on loan to aberdeen a few seasons back and now is in the England squad, Did Harry kane not go on loan a couple of times to Layton orient and some other team before getting into spurs first team? Their are so many examples of this, and loads of top players have encouraged youngsters to go out on loan to lower league teams to develop, we should try to get a team that plays similar style to us in each division in Scotland and loan to those clubs imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Some of the loanees got some game time tonight in a bounce game against Whitburn Juniors.

 

Hearts won 3-1, but Sean Docherty, Leo Watson and Ryan Schiavone all played (and scored).

I think you may have mentioned in another thread that Cammy Logan might get a run out, take it this didn't happen

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

I think you may have mentioned in another thread that Cammy Logan might get a run out, take it this didn't happen

I don't believe so. I only caught the second half, by which time Hearts had made a raft of substitutions.  Sean Docherty appeared to have played at RB for most of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Some of the loanees got some game time tonight in a bounce game against Whitburn Juniors.

 

Hearts won 3-1, but Sean Docherty, Leo Watson and Ryan Schiavone all played (and scored).

Were any first team players such as Cammy Devlin involved?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Were any first team players such as Cammy Devlin involved?

No, I don't believe so.  The second half side was:

McFarlane (Paris 70)

Docherty, Rathie, Nair

Hambrook, Thomas, Simpson (Kemp 70), Denholm (McCluckie 70), Tait

Schiavone, Ross (Williamson? 70)

 

I think Watson, Flatman and Sandilands played in the first half. There may have been others though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I still think a loan to the lower leagues is currently the best option, young players need games and playing in an experienced first team environment in a competitive lower league is miles better than playing reserves infront of no fans and under no pressure, if the young player in question has any talent or mental strength to make it in the game, then they will go out on loan and impress no matter which team they go to imo, see Craig Gordon, Jamie walker etc also the boy McGill is doing well at airdrie and Stone doing OK at partick at the minute, on a bigger scale, a lot of Epl teams have used the spl and English  championship to develop their young players, for example Maddison going on loan to aberdeen a few seasons back and now is in the England squad, Did Harry kane not go on loan a couple of times to Layton orient and some other team before getting into spurs first team? Their are so many examples of this, and loads of top players have encouraged youngsters to go out on loan to lower league teams to develop, we should try to get a team that plays similar style to us in each division in Scotland and loan to those clubs imo

Look at Kasper Scmeikels loan list 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't believe so. I only caught the second half, by which time Hearts had made a raft of substitutions.  Sean Docherty appeared to have played at RB for most of the game.

Thanks for that

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

 

I think Watson, Flatman and Sandilands played in the first half. There may have been others though.

 

As I mentioned, Callum Sandilands is the son of the Birnie manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

 

Is Sean Docherty effectively still on loan? I know he got a couple of games for Brechin against SPFL opposition in the league cup but he doesn’t seem to have featured for a fair bit now, even on the bench in the Highland league. Maybe just a case of helping Andy Kirk out while he was struggling to get bodies in?

I still don't know what's happened with Brechin, but he's now gone on loan to Gala Fairydean Rovers.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I still don't know what's happened with Brechin, but he's now gone on loan to Gala Fairydean Rovers.

 

 

 

Aaron Darge went there on loan earlier but not seen anything about him playing. He was not in the squad that played at the weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Niemi’s gloves
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I still don't know what's happened with Brechin, but he's now gone on loan to Gala Fairydean Rovers.

 

 

Thanks, FF. GFR don’t seem to put team sheets on Twitter so it may be hard to track how much game time he (and Arron Darge) get. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
HartleyLegend3
On 01/09/2021 at 12:57, Tasavallan said:

The Arsecheeks have taken the "B" teams into lower leagues route but this does not necessarily give sufficient experience to their reserve players.  The bench-warmers need game time which means senior bounce games midweek.  Due to cost cuts loans is the only option.  We have 9 players currently out on loan with a remaining senior squad of 24 players, which includes 5 players under 20 yrs.  My only question is the quality of the teams the players are loaned to.

 

I like the age of those players brought in:

23 Beni

21 Woodburn

23 Gino

24 Moore

21 Cochrane

23 Devlin

It will be really interesting to see how many of the old firm B team players step up. I think the quality they are up against is a decent level, not Sunday league boot everything that moves but it will build the youngsters strength up. 

I think if Hearts were to put a B team in the lowland league, it would only benefit us. No promotion, sort of a league within a league set up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
true-jambo
On 15/09/2021 at 23:41, Niemi’s gloves said:

Thanks, FF. GFR don’t seem to put team sheets on Twitter so it may be hard to track how much game time he (and Arron Darge) get. 

 

 

 

Sean Docherty played in GFR 1st round Scottish Cup win over Spartans on Saturday.

 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboinglasgow
57 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

https://berwickrangers.com/denholm-joins-the-dream-team/

 

Aidan Denholm out on loan to Berwick Rangers and likely to feature in the televised cup game against Gretna tonight (on BBC Scotland). At least Berwick can spell his surname unlike the Hearts website story!

 

With Denholm going out on loan (and counting Logan and Pollock as first team players as they are listed in the first team squad on the official site) then thats all our fringe/reserve players gone out on loan apart from goalkeeper Harris Spratt. 

 

As a snapshot, this weekend our loan players (not counting senior players out on loan:)

Euan Henderson, Scott McGill, Sean Docherty all started 

Scott McGill scored (30 yard shot)

Connor Smith, Ryan Schiavone came off the bench

Harry Stone and Leon Watson were on the bench but did not come on

Not sure what is happening with Chris Hamilton and Aaron Darge as not see them on the team sheets for their respective teams

Jay Charleston-King is almost impossible to find out whats happening with, saying Fauldhouse United are in the 7th tier of Scottish football. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

 

....

Jay Charleston-King is almost impossible to find out whats happening with, saying Fauldhouse United are in the 7th tier of Scottish football. 

 

Quite bizarre. Don't think he has been seen in Fauldhouse who are in a bit of disarray and basically fielding most of their U20s who in turn were last years U17s at Bathgate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

With Denholm going out on loan (and counting Logan and Pollock as first team players as they are listed in the first team squad on the official site) then thats all our fringe/reserve players gone out on loan apart from goalkeeper Harris Spratt. 

 

As a snapshot, this weekend our loan players (not counting senior players out on loan:)

Euan Henderson, Scott McGill, Sean Docherty all started 

Scott McGill scored (30 yard shot)

 

Harris Spratt has a dislocated finger.  I note that Scott McGill was playing at left back.

 

I think Darge may be injured. He was doing some running with a physio or sports scientist last week.  Chris Hamilton was also training with the U18s. 

Edited by Footballfirst
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...