Theranos

Des Lynam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58336998

It’s fascinating how greed can cloud people’s judgement. How she and whoever was involved managed to build a company worth 9 billion dollars based on bull shit is a cautionary tale I doubt many will take heed from. Anyway she managed to rip off Murdoch for £120m so at least one positive. 

5 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58336998

It’s fascinating how greed can cloud people’s judgement. How she and whoever was involved managed to build a company worth 9 billion dollars based on bull shit is a cautionary tale I doubt many will take heed from. Anyway she managed to rip off Murdoch for £120m so at least one positive. 

Why is one person stealing from another person acceptable to you?

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Never mind the trial, Des says she's guilty.

She'll walk and the 700m she paid out will guarantee that.

I doubt my post on here is going to sway the jury 😂 And she didn’t pay out 700m she came to an arrangement with the SEC and paid 500,000 dollars. 

1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Why is one person stealing from another person acceptable to you?

Because the person they are stealing from is a bad person. 

It’s a story as old as time. Robin Hood for example 

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I'm sure the jury will be swayed by that then!   

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I'm sure the jury will be swayed by that then!   

It's got **** all to do with the jury and everything to do with poetic justice.

The Murdoch corporation being fleeced for a few bob is seldom a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Theft is theft, Gov.    I am sure you remember Charlton Heston telling us, "Thow shalt not steal."

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Indeed

I love a story like this.

Greedy rich investors who want EVEN MORE money (Not enough luxury yachts, New York houses and Bugati's) throw their $Millions at a 19 year old nobody in the hope of getting EVEN MORE money returned to them and it falls flat on its face!!!

Their greed knows no bounds.

I have no time for "off the radar" wealth. No issue with someone being a success or a millionaire but these arseholes are a law unto themselves with their off-shore accounts etc. They live by different rules. 

She shouldn't be going to prison, she should receive a knighthood for taking the piss out of these vultures!

Are we supposed to be sad some Billionaires lost some "capital"? They gambled, they lost. Suck it up!

Cue the "shocked" letting me know I'm wrong. The ones on their knees licking their Gucci shoes no doubt!

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Theft is theft, Gov.    I am sure you remember Charlton Heston telling us, "Thow shalt not steal."

Of course, but it is not out of place to bask in a spot of cathartic schadenfreude when the Great Arbitrator of Cosmic Fairness chucks two fingers up at that **** Murdoch.

Whether you/me or anyone else likes it, money makes the world go round.   Of course investors invest to make money.   If the venture fails, they lose.   That is the accepted rule of investing.   However, theft is still theft.  

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Of course, but it is not out of place to bask in a spot of cathartic schadenfreude when the Great Arbitrator of Cosmic Fairness chucks two fingers up at that **** Murdoch.

Ah! The Great Architect of the universe?

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

ps . .  What has Murdoch done to you to incur your schadenfreude?

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Fingered my sister in a phone box outside Gilmerton Miners.

8 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Every one of him media outlets tell lies to suit HIS agenda. The man is snake oil salesman and he shouldnt get away with it but he does so something like this kick in the balls makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Fek im!

Oh I bet that Murdoch had fingers in many pies!!

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

ps.  How does your sister feel about him?  Lol

9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That is just wrong too.   I seem to recall Charlton saying, "Thow shalt not covet thy neighbours ass!"  ;)

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Jamstomorrow said:

That is just wrong too.   I seem to recall Charlton saying, "Thow shalt not covet thy neighbours ass!"  ;)

You wouldn't call her that to her face. :(

26 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Whether you/me or anyone else likes it, money makes the world go round.   Of course investors invest to make money.   If the venture fails, they lose.   That is the accepted rule of investing.   However, theft is still theft.  

in theory an investor should do their due diligence on any investment no matter the value of the investment, and technically unless she is found guilty in a court it would not be theft but seen as a bad investment

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

in theory an investor should do their due diligence on any investment no matter the value of the investment, and technically unless she is found guilty in a court it would not be theft but seen as a bad investment

The words, 'rip off Murdoch for £120 million,'  seemed to suggest some sort of financial chicanery.

7 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

So   . . . er . .  why is she being taken to court?

now it is you who has decided she is guilty before  a trial

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

The words, 'rip off Murdoch for £120 million,'  seemed to suggest some sort of financial chicanery.

:sweeet:

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

now it is you who has decided she is guilty before  a trial

Au -contraire.   Nowhere have I suggested she is guilty.  I have merely stated that theft is theft, regardless of the reputation and wealth of the victim.  That victim that many in this case are apparently happy to see being 'ripped off.'

What does the term, 'ripped-off' suggest to you?  An honest  bad investment or something perhaps a tad dishonest?

41 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Well, thats lies for a start. There never has been a phone box outside the Miners 🙃

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

being ripped off does not mean theft. say you wanted a new kitchen and overpaid for it, you would be ripped off but it would not be theft

That would be a civil matter.   Dependant on any agreement made prior to installation.  

being ripped off does not mean theft. say you wanted a new kitchen and overpaid for it, you would be ripped off but it would not be theft

She sold goods under false pretence .She knew the goods were not what they claimed.

Its fraud.

I have been following this for a couple of years or so. First of all it's absolutely staggering that she got so far and gathered so much cash with absolutely bleep all but words.

This is a woman who dropped out of a uni course in chemical engineering during the second year. She's no giant of the field nor an Einstein. All the actual giants of the field had stated that what she proposed was impossible. Not just very difficult even. Impossible they said.

Not once during the whole fiasco did she publish a single paper for peer review. Yet Murdoch and co were throwing hundreds of millions at it. Mind blowing.

There are documentaries all over youtube about her, she's a sociopath at best.

What really annoys me about this whole thread is being told that there never was a phone box outside Gilmerton Miners    Oh Gov, don't you recall Charlton on the mount telling us ,"Thou shalt not tell fibs, especially on JKB!"

I am truly gutted.  Is it possible you simply got the phone box wrong?  ;)

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

What really annoys me about this whole thread is being told that there never was a phone box outside Gilmerton Miners    Oh Gov, don't you recall Charlton on the mount telling us ,"Thou shalt not tell fibs, especially on JKB!"

I am truly gutted.  Is it possible you simply got the phone box wrong?  ;)

Might've been the bus stop tbf. 

Dennis Reynolds

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley is a great watch. Recommend it. I genuinely believe that she believed in what she was doing and what she could accomplish but that was very far from the actual truth.

I would've thought the fact that her father was a senior VP in Enron at the time it went **** up would've been a bit of a red flag to some of her investors. Just shows how greedy these fat cats are.

1 hour ago, LMc said:

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley is a great watch. Recommend it. I genuinely believe that she believed in what she was doing and what she could accomplish but that was very far from the actual truth.

It’s one of many great documentaries by Alex Gibney. Think I particularly enjoyed it as I didn’t really know much about it at the time. I think you’re right that it was as much a case of doubling down on a ridiculous and unrealistic sense of self belief (and inability to admit failure) as anything else.

6 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I remember him more for saying 'From my cold, dead hands' whilst waving a Winchester in the air. And 'Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape'.

2 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I remember him more for saying 'From my cold, dead hands' whilst waving a Winchester in the air. And 'Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape'.

He's dead now. I wonder if he picked up something from being touched by a damn, dirty ape.  I also wonder if they took the rifle from his cold, dead hands?

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

That's no way to talk about Moses! :seething:

The Ten Commandments has been a springtime TV staple since 1968, with good  reason - Vox

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

That is more likely.  We've all done that haven't we?

Where Murdoch fingered you is none of my business. 

Where Murdoch fingered you is none of my business. 

If i recall correctly, it was in a phone box outside Gilmerton Miners.

6 hours ago, Pap said:

Well, thats lies for a start. There never has been a phone box outside the Miners 🙃

He meant the Gilmerton miners put many fingers in her phonebox