Sheriffhall Roundabout

DB-14

The traffic light sequencing or something needs sorted as there are constant tailbacks both east and westbound at virtually all times of the day.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• will-i-am-a-jambo

• OBE

• il Duce McTarkin

• Nucky Thompson

6 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

The traffic light sequencing or something needs sorted as there are constant tailbacks both east and westbound at virtually all times of the day.

Been busy everyday this week on my way to work when it is usually only 4 or 5 cars deep (about 7.45). There was a breakdown at Straiton today though that made it worse.

It's the random times like 2pm or 3ish when you can have huge tailback back to Millerhill going Westbound. Bizarre.

Do find that you are always moving along in 1st or 2nd gear though, the sequence cing seems fine to me. Just need more lanes, or an overpass for cars staying on the Bypass.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Been busy everyday this week on my way to work when it is usually only 4 or 5 cars deep (about 7.45). There was a breakdown at Straiton today though that made it worse.

It's the random times like 2pm or 3ish when you can have huge tailback back to Millerhill going Westbound. Bizarre.

Do find that you are always moving along in 1st or 2nd gear though, the sequence cing seems fine to me. Just need more lanes, or an overpass for cars staying on the Bypass.

It’s utterly weird I was just stuck around 20 mins ago going eastbound I didn’t expect such tailbacks at this time. It depends mate sometimes completely stationary but other than that occasionally creeping in 1st. I don’t remember before the first lockdown it being as bad at random times but maybe my mind playing tricks!

Monday at 11.30 (maybe everyday) and Fridays at 2-3pm are time times I've found it to be "off-peak" busy. Only going Westbound though.

Ron Burgundy
38 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

That's exactly what is required.

Malinga the Swinga

With Green party about to assume some powers in Scotland, you'll be disappointed if you're expecting or wanting new lanes added to bypass. More likely they'll add cycle lane and speed bumps.

Transport policy in Scotland is a disaster under the current administration.

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

With Green party about to assume some powers in Scotland, you'll be disappointed if you're expecting or wanting new lanes added to bypass. More likely they'll add cycle lane and speed bumps.

Transport policy in Scotland is a disaster under the current administration.

A tram or a guided busway connecting Midlothian to the west of Edinburgh along the bypass would be no bad thing

I noticed similar on my way up the M6 a few weeks ago.  No accidents, just the volume of traffic coming on and off the motorway causing a great big concertina and traffic grinding to a halt for no apparent reason.  I guess the pandemic is the root cause........ the volume of people (like me) going on a staycation rather than abroad and also the volume of people avoiding public transport must be having a massive impact.

The Greens would be wise not to block the Bypass flyover which I think was proposed as part of the City Deal we're supposed to be getting.  Surely having cars/lorries bypassing the city at a relatively constant speed is better for the environment than thousands of engines sitting more or less idling on roads for longer periods of time.

2 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

I noticed similar on my way up the M6 a few weeks ago.  No accidents, just the volume of traffic coming on and off the motorway causing a great big concertina and traffic grinding to a halt for no apparent reason.  I guess the pandemic is the root cause........ the volume of people (like me) going on a staycation rather than abroad and also the volume of people avoiding public transport must be having a massive impact.

The Greens would be wise not to block the Bypass flyover which I think was proposed as part of the City Deal we're supposed to be getting.  Surely having cars/lorries bypassing the city at a relatively constant speed is better for the environment than thousands of engines sitting more or less idling on roads for longer periods of time.

there is a phenomenon i think known as ghost traffic jams. it is caused by someone at the head of the traffic braking, then the car just behind sees the brake lights then brakes. you then get a chain reaction of cars braking which cause those phantom jams. it would be better if everyone drove with suitable gaps meaning if someone had to slow down the drivers behind should be able to slow down safely without having to brake.

Carl Fredrickson

I thought (sure?) that plans were submitted for an underpass for the east/westbound bypass road at Sheriffhall. Similar to the one at Gogar. This was pre-covid so unsure what if anything has happened

So glad I am now a homeworker and no longer have to commute as this roundabout was always a pain.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

A tram or a guided busway connecting Midlothian to the west of Edinburgh along the bypass would be no bad thing

Don't give these clowns any more money to waste on Trams. It would end up costing billions we cant afford whilst watching education, health and other transport being cut to bone.

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I thought (sure?) that plans were submitted for an underpass for the east/westbound bypass road at Sheriffhall. Similar to the one at Gogar. This was pre-covid so unsure what if anything has happened

So glad I am now a homeworker and no longer have to commute as this roundabout was always a pain.

The plans were put on hold by the SNP at the request of the Greens because the SNP needed their support to get the budget voted through

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The plans were put on hold by the SNP at the request of the Greens because the SNP needed their support to get the budget voted through

:thumbs_up:

Rodger Mellie
4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

there is a phenomenon i think known as ghost traffic jams. it is caused by someone at the head of the traffic braking, then the car just behind sees the brake lights then brakes. you then get a chain reaction of cars braking which cause those phantom jams. it would be better if everyone drove with suitable gaps meaning if someone had to slow down the drivers behind should be able to slow down safely without having to brake.

I can attest to that. I live in the US and ghost traffic jams are a regular occurrence on the highways. The tailgating by drivers over here is ridiculously bad and the cause of a lot of accidents. I regularly see idiots driving 70+ mph with about 10 feet clearance between their car and the one in front. Loonies. 

Edited by Rodger Mellie

1 hour ago, Rodger Mellie said:

I can attest to that. I live in the US and ghost traffic jams are a regular occurrence on the highways. The tailgating by drivers over here is ridiculously bad and the cause of a lot of accidents. I regularly see idiots driving 70+ mph with about 10 feet clearance between their car and the one in front. Loonies. 

the I85/285 around Atlanta is a shocker for this 

Edited by DarthVodka

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Spot on.

You notice when you're driving the opposite direction of a jam some folk leave huge gaps, meaning that when the lights change they're inevitably caught out. It's the driving 'skills' as much as the road provision that causes it. Plus those people who randomly break with a clear road in front of them. Usually women.

6 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Aye, the M6/M74 is a nightmare when a lorry (or 2) decide to overtake

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Spot on.

You notice when you're driving the opposite direction of a jam some folk leave huge gaps, meaning that when the lights change they're inevitably caught out. It's the driving 'skills' as much as the road provision that causes it. Plus those people who randomly break with a clear road in front of them. Usually women.

Never really drove on British motorways for about 20 years and been back on them about 3 years now and the deterioration in the standard of driving s shocking. Too many lane hoggers and folk going far too slowly for the lane they are in. I am convinced there must be just about as many motorway accidents caused by driving too slowly as there are by people driving too fast.

7 hours ago, milky_26 said:

It's called the wave effect. On the M6 it's been removed in large part in the midlands by variable speed limits which are enforced at peak times, which I'm well used to. I'm still struggling with the traffic jams up here : Forth crossing, southbound at noon today, big tailbacks . Why ?

On the bypass today , big tailbacks heading east at 14.00 (it's not even the rush hour).

The carnage of long delays at the eastern end of the by -pass (which I'm assuming what the "flyover" debate is about. 

Traffic problems in Edinburgh/Glasgow are way worse than what I see travelling around midlands/ N W England.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's called the wave effect. On the M6 it's been removed in large part in the midlands by variable speed limits which are enforced at peak times, which I'm well used to. I'm still struggling with the traffic jams up here : Forth crossing, southbound at noon today, big tailbacks . Why ?

On the bypass today , big tailbacks heading east at 14.00 (it's not even the rush hour).

The carnage of long delays at the eastern end of the by -pass (which I'm assuming what the "flyover" debate is about. 

Traffic problems in Edinburgh/Glasgow are way worse than what I see travelling around midlands/ N W England.

i agree i have at times had to drive the M6 near birmingham at rush hour and at least it moved maybe a bit slowly but still better than the edinburgh bypass which i had to drive every day for years going to uni around 15-20 years ago.

10 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Yep and its also at weird times of the day when you wouldn't expect them. They also seem to be becoming a more regular occurrence.

Wait till all the house building in East Lothian takes full effect. Where does the govt think all those people will be travelling to for work etc.

Can see tail backs from dawn till dusk in the not too distant future.

What idiots build two roundabouts at vital sections of a city ring road, the traffic should be fed straight through to the A1 with slip roads and roundabouts off them if necessary.

The bypass has been not fit for purpose almost since day 1

The Edinburgh bypass is a complete failure.

I was out at the Kelpies a couple of weeks ago and my sat nav directed me though Sighthill on my way back to my parents house in Loanhead. My old man took the bypass and I was home 5 minutes before him. That really shouldn't be possible.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

The Edinburgh bypass is a complete failure.

I was out at the Kelpies a couple of weeks ago and my sat nav directed me though Sighthill on my way back to my parents house in Loanhead. My old man took the bypass and I was home 5 minutes before him. That really shouldn't be possible.

It's shit mate. I now take the Dalkeith turn off when heading west along the A1 towards sheriffhall.

Scotland's capital city and we don't have a proper road system.

The A1 isn't even duelled all the way to the English border, they are duelling it the other way.

Meanwhile it's 3 lanes all the way from Glasgow to Carlisle.

Seymour M Hersh
20 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

Often, the cause is a chain reaction, triggered by someone hitting the brakes.

If your brake lights illuminate on the motorway, even for a brief moment, it can cause the driver behind to also apply their brakes.

This passes along the queue of traffic, with the brake action getting ever-so-slightly longer as it passes through each car. Eventually, it can lead to cars coming to a standstill.

The same scenario can be triggered by someone changing lane unexpectedly. Dr Eddie Wilson from the University of Bristol has previously carried out research which showed that, under the right conditions, one motorist's bad driving can create “a traffic tsunami which can affect traffic up to 50 miles away”.

Analysing driver behaviour on a 10-mile section of the M42 motorway in the West Midlands, Wilson and his team of mathematicians discovered that sharp braking, unnecessary lane changes and lorries slowly overtaking each other were a more significant cause of congestion than crashes.

This is from the RAC website

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/traffic-jams-what-causes-them/

its also not helped by farm vehicles using it, seem to be more recently , i got stuck in a tail back yesterday with a tractor and trailer at straiton got past him at sherrif hall

Think tractors troll folks tf, out at peak afternoon times, shouldn't these ***** be in their beds by then! :gfy:

Couple months back I saw two blokes standing at a metal box between the Dalkeith road and the A7 (at the Sherriffhall), probably dicking around with the sequence.  Lo & behold the coming two weeks saw backing up on the roundabout itself. Thankfully they must have sent two competent lads to sort out the initial mess.  But yes, the tailbacks do seem a bit more random these days.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Bungalow Bill
23 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

I’ve thought this for years. A monorail with park and rides. 

16 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I’ve thought this for years. A monorail with park and rides. 

Certainly some form of public transport as there is no easy was to get to the west of edinburgh , gyle and the airport from east lothian and Midlothian.

I'd like to see something at least to Loanhead & dalkeith and ideally joined up to the ERI

6 hours ago, maroongoals said:

its also not helped by farm vehicles using it, seem to be more recently , i got stuck in a tail back yesterday with a tractor and trailer at straiton got past him at sherrif hall

It's harvest time.

Kia drivers.

There is something wrong with people who believe a 7 year warranty is worth buying an underpowered piece of junk.

Why do they move out to the outside lane of motorways even when the road is clear in front of them then they sit there refusing to even contemplate going above 65mph?

heartsfc_fan

Pre-covid I used to drive through Sheriffhall roundabout (West Bound) and never have any trouble with queuing at 6:00-6:15pm in the evening. Basically rush hour.

Always got straight through and no queues.

Yet, I nip to the Fort over lunch break (now working at home) and I hit the same roundabout at 2pm ish and it's queued all the way back. Wtf. It's like that most days if you drive past.

Really needs sorted. A flyover, a tunnel. Whatever.

Harry Potter
On 20/08/2021 at 13:09, Carl Fredrickson said:

Glad i dont work in Liberton anymore, was always some issue on that road, should have been 3 lanes from the start but penny pinching stopped that.

As i have said before travelled back from Whitby, 4 hours of good flowing traffic till i hit the Bypass.

On 20/08/2021 at 22:53, Nucky Thompson said:

Meanwhile it's 3 lanes all the way from Glasgow to Carlisle.

No it isn't. Around 36 miles still 2 lanes from Hamilton South.

I'm going to buck the above trend and say the M5 and M6 have caused me much more delays in my time.

The M6 specifically aggravates me as I'm on it so often. Its tailed back for miles more often than it isn't in my experience.

9 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm going to buck the above trend and say the M5 and M6 have caused me much more delays in my time.

The M6 specifically aggravates me as I'm on it so often. Its tailed back for miles more often than it isn't in my experience.

I agree. Used to work south of Birmingham 15 years ago and driving up the M6 on a Friday afternoon was always a nightmare. Occasionally had to go across country and head up the east coast due it being blocked by accidents. 

By-pass built in the late 80’s .  40 years later it’s needing some serious upgrading.  The new underpass at sheriffhall will obviously be major improvement.  3 lanes each side along the length would be too but that’s major investment as they’d have to pay millions to move electricity Transmission pylons, CPO land, bridge work etc.

They will have to do it though. Imminent congestion charging will see more traffic using it.  It will end up having tolls of some sort eventually to reduce traffic

16 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

By-pass built in the late 80’s .  40 years later it’s needing some serious upgrading.  The new underpass at sheriffhall will obviously be major improvement.  3 lanes each side along the length would be too but that’s major investment as they’d have to pay millions to move electricity Transmission pylons, CPO land, bridge work etc.

They will have to do it though. Imminent congestion charging will see more traffic using it.  It will end up having tolls of some sort eventually to reduce traffic

They started building it in the late 70s. First section opened early 80s. Fairmilehead to Wester Hailles iirc.  

Byyy The Light

Fairmilehead/Hillend junction west bound also very slow at all hours of the day. 

No doubt caused by folk just pulling out to the outside lane without looking whenever someone is coming down the slip road. Does my head in. 

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They started building it in the late 70s. First section opened early 80s. Fairmilehead to Wester Hailles iirc.  

Correct - 1981. First section includes the crossing of the Water of Leith - built from stainless steel to minimise future maintenance requirements due to access issues :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps all the cash the CEC save by not repairing the city's roads could be funnelled towards the bypass improvements. 🙄

I know you're joking, but the Bypass is a Trunk Road and therefore the responsibility of Transport Scotland, not the council :thumbsup:

I'll see your Sheriffhall and raise you (North Edinburgh) Starbank road closure and Ferry road single file lights at the BP garage.

Proof that the city planners a screwing with the motorists heids...:down:

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, theshed said:

Thats only if it gets the go ahead.

Don’t be surprised if nothing happens 

Surely they can't be that incompetent :muggy:

Footballfirst

Looks like it will be similar to the Raith Interchange on the M74 (junction 5) which took years to build.

The proposed flyover at Sheriffhall

image.png.f6c4af10a7381f26a9649ff28e617bef.png

Edited by Footballfirst

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Looks like it will be similar to the Raith Interchange on the M74 (junction 5) which took years to build.

The proposed flyover at Sheriffhall

image.png.f6c4af10a7381f26a9649ff28e617bef.png

This change has drastically improved journeys on this stretch of road.

Everymorning on the way to work now pretty significant queues headed up to Sherrifhall from the Gilmeron slip road.

Don't know what's causing it.

On 03/09/2021 at 07:21, hughesie27 said:

Everymorning on the way to work now pretty significant queues headed up to Sherrifhall from the Gilmeron slip road.

Don't know what's causing it.

What time of morning is this? Just out of interest. I haven't done the morning commute much since covid as working at home and hit that area about 8:50 usually. Doing it at least one day next week.