Sheriffhall Roundabout

DB-14

On 03/09/2021 at 07:21, hughesie27 said:

Everymorning on the way to work now pretty significant queues headed up to Sherrifhall from the Gilmeron slip road.

Don't know what's causing it.

Approached this afternoon, and imo the time the lights remain at green, is shorter for those heading through the A720.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• will-i-am-a-jambo

• OBE

• il Duce McTarkin

• Nucky Thompson

Doctor FinnBarr
On 02/09/2021 at 21:44, Footballfirst said:

Looks like it will be similar to the Raith Interchange on the M74 (junction 5) which took years to build.

The proposed flyover at Sheriffhall

image.png.f6c4af10a7381f26a9649ff28e617bef.png

I done loads of work in Wisemans at EK in the mid 90s through to the early 2000s and the Raith was an absolute nightmare (queuing from Bellshill on the way there and from Blantyre on the way back) trying to do an 8 til 4. Gaffer took the sensible route of making us work from 11 to 7, so much easier to get there and return home.

Does seem much better nowadays but I'm not travelling through it in rush hour.

10 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Approached this afternoon, and imo the time the lights remain at green, is shorter for those heading through the A720.

Possibly. Think there's roadworks down by Hospital way so perhaps they are giving traffic from there more time in Green instead.

11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

What time of morning is this? Just out of interest. I haven't done the morning commute much since covid as working at home and hit that area about 8:50 usually. Doing it at least one day next week.

I usually get there about 7.45

Bit late to this but I thought farm vehicles weren’t allowed to use the A720.

It’s a “special road” meaning some additional rules govern its use and what can use it.  (All motorways are special roads but not all special roads are motorways - like this one)

I’m sure there used to be signs on the slip roads advising ‘no pedestrians, no cycles, no horses, no vehicles under 50cc etc.  Can’t remember seeing them for a while though.

7 hours ago, FWJ said:

Bit late to this but I thought farm vehicles weren’t allowed to use the A720.

It’s a “special road” meaning some additional rules govern its use and what can use it.  (All motorways are special roads but not all special roads are motorways - like this one)

I’m sure there used to be signs on the slip roads advising ‘no pedestrians, no cycles, no horses, no vehicles under 50cc etc.  Can’t remember seeing them for a while though.

Looks like tractors are fine ...

image.png.cab3d4caa9f60493dbd6593b0e73e19d.png

2 hours ago, Dunks said:

Looks like tractors are fine ...

image.png.cab3d4caa9f60493dbd6593b0e73e19d.png

Yup, you’re right.

Kinda crazy they’re allowed, I’d never bothered looking at the signs closely and just assumed they were banned too.

• 1 month later...

The lights were out at Sheriffhall yesterday morning at 7/8 and it was the quickest/quietest I've gotten through it in weeks.

I was going straight over though so the other exits may have had to wait longer than usual perhaps.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The lights were out at Sheriffhall yesterday morning at 7/8 and it was the quickest/quietest I've gotten through it in weeks.

I was going straight over though so the other exits may have had to wait longer than usual perhaps.

The same thing happened 3 or 4 years ago at the Newbridge roundabout. All the lights were be being replaced, poles and all. For about 3 weeks there were no lights and guess what? No queues or holds for the entire period. As soon as the lights came back cue hold ups, queues and generally unhappy drivers. 

• 11 months later...
Jambo_jim2001

I just gave up driving into Edinburgh. Traffic system is a joke. I suffered Newbridge when it was getting built, was total carnage at rush hour

il Duce McTarkin
52 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Mentions an orchestrated campaign by the cycle lobby.

Mig24%20WIKIMEDIA.jpg?itok=MWf7oArk

@Jeffros Furios preparing for the latest cycle lobby rally on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

8 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Mig24%20WIKIMEDIA.jpg?itok=MWf7oArk

@Jeffros Furios preparing for the latest cycle lobby rally on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

That machine gun will weigh more than the bairn being instructed...Johnny Seven was my limit...

Screenshot (1).png

13 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sheriffhall could be done by 2028 - Midlothian View

This Beattie clown should get his finger out his ass and challenge his boss.

Beattie had the same article published in the East Lothian Courier over a month ago,It was pointed out to him that the Greens ,who are now part of the government and have more sway than him,were putting the blockers on any upgrade at Sheriffhall.He, of course,hasnt bothered replying to  anybody ,maybe folk in Midlothian should have a wee word in his ear.

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I just gave up driving into Edinburgh. Traffic system is a joke. I suffered Newbridge when it was getting built, was total carnage at rush hour

Mind driving back from Whitby, trouble free roads for about 200 miles then, big tailback from sheriffhall, joke.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, systemx said:

Beattie had the same article published in the East Lothian Courier over a month ago,It was pointed out to him that the Greens ,who are now part of the government and have more sway than him,were putting the blockers on any upgrade at Sheriffhall.He, of course,hasnt bothered replying to  anybody ,maybe folk in Midlothian should have a wee word in his ear.

He'll not be able to question Sturgeon or Harvie.

It's not allowed in the Scottish government.

Looks like it will be similar to the Raith Interchange on the M74 (junction 5) which took years to build.

:rofl:How long do you expect it to take, a fortnight?

12 hours ago, systemx said:

Nothing to do with cyclist's and everything to do with the Greens

Dunno if Beattie still has his big 4x4, but I did find it amusing seeing him get a ticket for parking in the bus stop outside his office a while back. I wonder what wee Patrick and Lorna would think of that, especially as its less than a mile from his house.

On 04/10/2022 at 14:41, New Town Loafer said:

What did people expect with a SNP-Green government? You reap what you sow.

Imagining you're being serious here, I live in a Winchburgh , West Lothian which is a huge phased development of 3.5K houses , shops  , schools etc.

As a requirement to build anymore than 1K houses a motorway junction had to be approved with contributions from the Winchburgh Decelopment company before anymore houses could be built, this should be open in Spring 2023. Before councils allow any major developments this is what should always happen.

Sadly despite 2 railway lines passsing through Winchburgh (Stirling/Glasgow to Edinburgh and a line to Fife via Dalmeny)  the planned railway station is still not built, if the Greens could do something about progressing this they would get my vote.

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Imagining you're being serious here, I live in a Winchburgh , West Lothian which is a huge phased development of 3.5K houses , shops  , schools etc.

As a requirement to build anymore than 1K houses a motorway junction had to be approved with contributions from the Winchburgh Decelopment company before anymore houses could be built, this should be open in Spring 2023. Before councils allow any major developments this is what should always happen.

Sadly despite 2 railway lines passsing through Winchburgh (Stirling/Glasgow to Edinburgh and a line to Fife via Dalmeny)  the planned railway station is still not built, if the Greens could do something about progressing this they would get my vote.

They are going ahead with building a new junction onto the M9 though.

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 03/10/2022 at 23:11, jonesy said:

Mentions an orchestrated campaign by the cycle lobby. These zealots should focus on making sure they and their weirdo kind get some lights strapped to their bikes now the darker nights are setting in, rather than trying to make it more difficult for folk to get to work or go about their business.

Perhaps if more people cycled (the very people you are having a go at) then there wouldn't be any traffic jams. Cars cause traffic jams, and the people complaining about them are the very people causing them ie the problem. Why can't people get their head around this? Building more roads is not a sustainable solution, as guess what it attracts even more cars on the road and even more traffic jams ......

il Duce McTarkin

"We're off to the lakes on our holi-bags, Brenda Quick, jump on the tandem".

"No problem, Nigel. Little Ruaridh can tow the bags with his penny farthing".

:muggy:

Can just imagine all those cycle powered HGVs, motorhomes, and builders vans hooring up and down the A72.

:wattie:

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

5 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Perhaps if more people cycled (the very people you are having a go at) then there wouldn't be any traffic jams. Cars cause traffic jams, and the people complaining about them are the very people causing them ie the problem. Why can't people get their head around this? Building more roads is not a sustainable solution, as guess what it attracts even more cars on the road and even more traffic jams ......

Just reopen the roads they've bunged up with big ***k off planters...2 lanes now restricted to one lane causes congestion...

Jeffros Furios
7 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

What would you do to ease the congestion at sherrifhall ?

Have the lorry and  van drivers use a horse and cart? 

Cyclists are rodents and need exterminated .

That flyover will become a car park if the Old Craighall roundabout stays the same...

Dennis Reynolds

Saw a cyclist nearly get killed by a bus yesterday morning. The cyclist turned in front of it before stopping and trying to get out the way and falling. If that bus had been a cyclist, none of this would have happened.

10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

They are going ahead with building a new junction onto the M9 though.

They are, should be ready in 6 months. This will improve car journey times as the bottleneck that is Kirkliston will be bypassed however, my bus journey yo Tynecastle will still trundle through Kirkliston and take 40 minutes to get to Haymarket,  a train would take 10 minutes. Is it greener to stop car congestion by improving roads and junctions or improve public transport which could entice drivers (like me) to abandon their air polluting cars? I would go for the latter option.

Edited by EIEIO

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

They are, should be ready in 6 months. This will improve car journey times as the bottleneck that is Kirkliston will be bypassed however, my bus journey yo Tynecastle will still trundle through Kirkliston and take 40 minutes to get to Haymarket,  a train would take 10 minutes. Is it greener to stop car congestion by improving roads and junctions or improve public transport which could entice drivers (like me) to abandon their air polluting cars? I would go for the latter option.

I was speaking to someone, just last night, who is quite knowledgeable about railways and trams. It was mainly about access to the airport, with the discussion about putting in additional railway halts. He said that access from the west side of Edinburgh via Haymarket is already at capacity and that the introduction of additional halts could not be achieved without significant disruption to other routes and journey times.

I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it is at least plausible.

19 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was speaking to someone, just last night, who is quite knowledgeable about railways and trams. It was mainly about access to the airport, with the discussion about putting in additional railway halts. He said that access from the west side of Edinburgh via Haymarket is already at capacity and that the introduction of additional halts could not be achieved without significant disruption to other routes and journey times.

I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it is at least plausible.

It is an issue a 3km extra bit of railway track , called the Dalmeny chord, was  chopped from the Edinburgh to Glasgow electrification project (to save money) this would have offered trains the option of using the less busy Fife approach to Haymarket. Currently all trains from Glasgow to Edinburgh, whether via Falkirk or Bathgate, plus those from Stirling use the same tracks from Edinburgh Park to Haymarket so 10 trains per hour in each direction so if one breaks down there will be an impact. An additional stop for Wincburgh on eg the Stirling to Edinburgh route would have little impact on the above, though.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

What would you do to ease the congestion at sherrifhall ?

Have the lorry and  van drivers use a horse and cart? 

Encourage people to use and provide alternative transport. As l say cars cause congestion. And name calling a group of people who are leading by example is extremely childish - grow up!

Edit: lm not completely against cars, lorries etc, they have their uses but it should be limited and people who don't really need to use them should use alternative means. Most car journeys are between 3-5 miles which is easily done either by walking, cycling or using the excellent bus service within Edinburgh. Or dare l say the trains such as the Borders railway. 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Saw a cyclist nearly get killed by a bus yesterday morning. The cyclist turned in front of it before stopping and trying to get out the way and falling. If that bus had been a cyclist, none of this would have happened.

There are good and bad drivers of all vehicles. Singling out individual incidents is not helpful. Providing good and safe infrastructure is the way forward. 

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Most car journeys are between 3-5 miles

Not going through Sheriffhall it's not.

It's mostly traffic from the west and north heading south and vice versa 

There will be more pollution caused with cars idling and crawling than if they were able to pass through the junction quickly

Edited by Nucky Thompson

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Jeffros kens.

9 hours ago, OBE said:

That flyover will become a car park if the Old Craighall roundabout stays the same...

A good point. They've just finished installing the new traffic lights (that never seemed necessary in the first place) as well.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

working with two very vocal and prominent extremist cycle lobby.

Opportunity for paraquat in the morning coffee?

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Aye, all the folk that couldn't afford to buy houses in Corstorphine should cycle from Musselburgh to their jobs at Edinburgh Park. And all the tradesmen from Midlothian that come to service the homes of the folk in the Grange can haul their tools on the bus.

I walk or use my bike to cycle to work, BTW, as did my missus until she got a job on the other side of town.

Cars only cause traffic jams because there are too many of them. But that needs to be balanced with the infrastructure. Edinburgh as a whole is a transport nightmare because of the way house prices have forced people out and attracted wealthy/talented people from elsewhere. Telling some poor sod that has to sit in a should destroying traffic jam at Sherifhall twice a day that it's his fault is typical of the arrogance I've heard from working with two very vocal and prominent extremist cycle lobby. Ignorant clowns.

Totally agree with what you are saying actually regarding infrastucture. If you read my post l suggested alternative transport needs to be put in place. Building more roads is not really a sustainable answer. Getting people out of their cars is. Some people do require them though for mobility or trades etc.  As for the rest, those are housing issues not road issues. You also referring to personal circumstances lm unaware of.

I also understand some people still need to use cars, most people do not but are too lazy to use alternative means. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not going through Sheriffhall it's not.

It's mostly traffic from the west and north heading south and vice versa 

There will be more pollution caused with cars idling and crawling than if they were able to pass through the junction quickly

Yep and what happens when more cars come on the road because of the flyover, more traffic jams, so we continue to build more roads ad infinum. Not exactly sustainable is it. 

il Duce McTarkin
30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Already done. Bundled up with the deid hookers in the boot of the Jonesmobile. No room for the weekly shopping anymore.

Good lad.

Remember, wrapped to a concrete fence post with chicken-wire is best for dumping in the disused quarry.

You don't want bits popping to the surface when they rot off. Always a worry with the traditional concrete wellies.

Avoid reservoirs on account of the recent trend of low water levels.

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Yep and what happens when more cars come on the road because of the flyover, more traffic jams, so we continue to build more roads ad infinum. Not exactly sustainable is it. 

We need more roads imo.

will-i-am-a-jambo
7 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

We need more roads imo.

Yes lm sure you will be saying that when we can't breathe due to choking on car fumes and your house is 6 feet under water due to climate change. 

Anyway lm hoping it will be like Back to the Future, where we're going we don't need no roads....

il Duce McTarkin
24 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Yes lm sure you will be saying that when we can't breathe due to choking on car fumes and your house is 6 feet under water due to climate change. 

I live on a hill.

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Best get a boat, might be an island soon

Funny you should say that...

7 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Driving is now a chore and expensive, but you think the shinny new flyover will encourage day trippers.

Jeffros Furios
8 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Anyway lm hoping it will be like Back to the Future, where we're going we don't need no roads....

If you were cycling near me you would receive the Jeffros flame thrower .

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Surprised the cycle lanes and bollards that have made an eyesore of parts of our city haven't convinced the evil drivers to ditch their cars.

Proper bypasses take the heat of the inner city's, The state of Edinburgh's bypass, encourages evil drivers to use inner city roads, something ain't right...

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, OBE said:

Proper bypasses take the heat of the inner city's, The state of Edinburgh's bypass, encourages evil drivers to use inner city roads, something ain't right...

Yup. Many times, I've came up the A1 and detoured through Dalkeith when I've realised that the Sheriffhall is gridlocked.

Also, it was a lot of good building the A68 Dalkeith bypass when you need to get past Sheriffhall to reach it