Second job question

dalkeithjambo

dalkeithjambo

Hi

Have a question about taking on a second job.

Will my current employer find out i take on a second job?

I am on leave now for a while and have opportunity to do another job for a few months, problem is my current employer dont like us doing this.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

if there is nothing in your contract stating that you can`t take a second job, there is not much they can do unless it affects your main job

If it all goes through the books I think you need to tell your main employer for tax reasons. If possible, ask for cash in hand.

The Old Tolbooth
If it all goes through the books I think you need to tell your main employer for tax reasons. If possible, ask for cash in hand.

Could that not be classed as moonlighting?

Companies don't like that, however as Soldier of Fortune says, if there's nothing in your signed contract that says you cant work for anyone else, and it's all legal and above board, then there should be nothing stopping you. We all need to make a living after all.

Could that not be classed as moonlighting?

Companies don't like that, however as Soldier of Fortune says, if there's nothing in your signed contract that says you cant work for anyone else, and it's all legal and above board, then there should be nothing stopping you. We all need to make a living after all.

I dont know what Moonlighting means, but i dont think there's anything wrong with a second job cash in hand, if you can get it (alot of places obviously wont do it now).

I've paid enough tax in my working life to build several hospitals. I look at it this way - if i do you a favour, and you want to give me some money for it, then thats great. There's no law against just giving someone money.

If you go through the books unless you have a very well paid second job it will hardly be worth it for tax reasons.

I dont know what Moonlighting means, but i dont think there's anything wrong with a second job cash in hand, if you can get it (alot of places obviously wont do it now).

I've paid enough tax in my working life to build several hospitals. I look at it this way - if i do you a favour, and you want to give me some money for it, then thats great. There's no law against just giving someone money.

If you go through the books unless you have a very well paid second job it will hardly be worth it for tax reasons.

Of course it is wrong to work cash in hand. You are not paying your tax and national insurance as you are suppose to. Not saying that I would never do it but it is against the law.

dalkeithjambo

Wish this job was cash in hand as Hand of gord said for tax reasons.

Its not though, and i will have to look into my contract with current employer but i do know they dont like it!.

Not sure why because as far as im concerened if i am available to carry out my main job then whats the problem.

I thought cash in hand was illegal as well?.

I know these kind of jobs seem to delivery drivers for chip shops and chinese etc.

I have heard of one chip shop in Bonnyrigg being investigated because of this.

If thats the case then surely the tax people could have a field day with just about every chippie and chinese in Britain.

The Old Tolbooth

You've got to be kidding right? :confused:

You've got to be kidding right? :confused:

Are you saying that there is?

You can give cash in hand but you need a payslip to show your ni and tax if not it`s illegal, the reason why they done this is in the past people were working 30 years cash in hand, and when it came to there pensions they got nowt because for all they years the company wasnt contributing to there ni

The Old Tolbooth
Are you saying that there is?

If you work for anyone and receive payment for it, it has to be delcared, it's that simple.

You don't want the IR on your case for something like that, you'll never get rid of them.

If you work for anyone and receive payment for it, it has to be delcared, it's that simple.

You don't want the IR on your case for something like that, you'll never get rid of them.

Agreed, just not worth the risk. Do it properly, pay your tax and NI otherwise you could be in for a shock.

The Old Tolbooth
Agreed, just not worth the risk. Do it properly, pay your tax and NI otherwise you could be in for a shock.

Absolutely!

British law states that your innocent until proven guilty, however the IR state that your guilty until you can prove your innocence.

If someone works on the side and gets "cash in hand" and the IR find out about it, make no mistake about it, they will do some sort of investigation and send you a whopping bill, then it's up to you to prove that you don't owe them cash which can be very difficult to do seeing as you have absolutely no record of getting paid in the first place.

Only ever been paid cash in hand by someone who was also getting paid cash in hand! Never ever stuck the money in the bank and used it for beer money, holiday cash and general day to day stuff so there was no evidence to prove it ever existed!

If you are doing a second job just make sure you have signed the european working time disclaimer with your main employer!

As long as you dont put it in the bank you'll be fine. If anyone asks, you done it for free.

Jambof3tornado

Your main employer would find it hard to prevent you from taking on a 2nd job given current europeans laws on employment.

I had a 2nd job when I was in the armed forces.

Can you say who your emploeyer is without giving yourself away??

Just interested to know why they dont like you having 2nd jobs??

dalkeithjambo

I work on naval supply ships, we come under armed services.

I guess the reason they dont like us working out with the job we do for them is the fact that when we are on leave they think they can call us back early.

This is not the case, they can call us back up to 10 days early and keep us on the ships until 10 days over our tour length which is usually 4 months.

If they keep us on past the 10 days they have to pay an extra 15% per day.

Not sure what to do about this other job which also involves working away for 2 weeks at a time.

Can i not get paid gross pay, i:e, not pay any tax intially and just pay it all back after tax year?

I work on naval supply ships, we come under armed services.

I guess the reason they dont like us working out with the job we do for them is the fact that when we are on leave they think they can call us back early.

This is not the case, they can call us back up to 10 days early and keep us on the ships until 10 days over our tour length which is usually 4 months.

If they keep us on past the 10 days they have to pay an extra 15% per day.

Not sure what to do about this other job which also involves working away for 2 weeks at a time.

Can i not get paid gross pay, i:e, not pay any tax intially and just pay it all back after tax year?

Unless the job is self employed you need to pay tax as you go. Is called PAYE, pay as you earn.

But if he is a merchant seaman, chances are he will not pay tax anyway. Methinks you need to talk to your tax adviser.

Should say I had a brother on RFA ships and he was classed as merchant navy even though they were working for MOD so I guess this is the same thing?

The Old Tolbooth
As long as you dont put it in the bank you'll be fine. If anyone asks, you done it for free.

Your not quite getting this are you?

If someone notices you taking cash in hand and decides to report you, then the IR will be on your case like bees round honey! If you tell them you've done the work for free they will simply laugh and think, we've got another one here! (how many times do you think they've heard that?)

Trust me, if they get wind of you doing that, you'll get some form of communication, followed by a bill, and possibly court action.

I might be talking bollox but I seem to think that under the Working Time Directive your main employer is entitled to know whether you are working somewhere else. I think some companies actually ask staff to sign disclaimers to confirm they are not working elsewhere. This is definately the case for LGV driving jobs, but I have feeling it now applies to ther jobs under the WTD.

Not sure how, if at all, it applies to naval jobs but it could be affected if your periods of leave are counted to offset high working hours while at sea.

CostaJambo

Most restaurants take on extra staff over the festival, quite often cash in hand and free duty meals too.

Edit: just noticed the first few words of Cobblers' post, superb mate!

dalkeithjambo
But if he is a merchant seaman, chances are he will not pay tax anyway. Methinks you need to talk to your tax adviser.

Should say I had a brother on RFA ships and he was classed as merchant navy even though they were working for MOD so I guess this is the same thing?

Yes, I work on RFA ships, and it works out you are paid every month not just the time you are away. I do pay tax but if you are out the country for 6 months or more you can claim all your tax back.

Who was the Guy you mentioned who worked or works for RFA?, i might know him.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Yes, I work on RFA ships, and it works out you are paid every month not just the time you are away. I do pay tax but if you are out the country for 6 months or more you can claim all your tax back.

Does claiming the tac back apply if ur say on hol in france for three months and spend three months away on business?

dalkeithjambo
Does claiming the tac back apply if ur say on hol in france for three months and spend three months away on business?

Not sure to be honest, for us it works that if you spend for instance 100 days out the country you cannot be back in the country for anymore than 1/2 of that (50 Days) before you have to leave again.

Try speaking to an accountant about it, it may differ, the place i deal with is called S K Tax, they are based in Haxey near doncaster, phone 01427 753400.

Not sure if they on deal with seafarers though, they be able to advise you where else to contact

Sawdust Caesar

If you take a second job, you complete a P46 tick the box stating it is your secondary employment (or whatever it says) you will then be taxed at the basic rate. The revenue will set up a second tax record for you but they will not inform your main employer about it, they have no reason to as you will be paying the correct amount of tax, unless you are a higher rate earner then you should be on 40% instad of the basic rate. And even if you were paying the wrong amount of tax they still have no reason to inform your employer of your other job. If you want to claim a refund after the end of the year then you just send your P60s from both jobs to HMRC. Your main employer will never know as it really has nothing to do with them whether you are claiming a tax refund or not.

A mate of mine was in the RFA and he got a big refund cos he was out of the country for more than 50% of the year.

Cannot say, then people would know who I was!!!!! I know my hubby does not pay any at all but thinking about it you are right. My bro used to have to pay his and then claim it back at the end of the tax year as long as he met all the criteria.

Yep, hubby has to do that sometimes to make sure he is not liable for UK tax (but he is only allowed 90 days in country I think, or so he tells me anyway!!)

Archived