Why??!

heartsfc_fan

heartsfc_fan

Has anyone noticed that people who drive Volvo's have their lights on...when its 2pm in the afternoon and SUNNY. WHY??!?!:mad: Idiots!!

Tend to find a 62 year old man in his silver volvo V40 driving around with them on...infact all of them do!!...can they not turn the bloody things off?:wacko:

this_is_my_story
Has anyone noticed that people who drive Volvo's have their lights on...when its 2pm in the afternoon and SUNNY. WHY??!?!:mad: Idiots!!

Tend to find a 62 year old man in his silver volvo V40 driving around with them on...infact all of them do!!...can they not turn the bloody things off?:wacko:

No. That's the way those cars are made, believe it or not!

heartsfc_fan

I read somewhere that sweden has laws saying they always have to be on...but we are in SCOTLAND not SWEDEN!

Surely a wee button to turn the damn things off? It's totally needless! I was actually in my car the other day and tailed by some idiot in a Volvo (coupe sporty thing) and no joke at 4pm in the afternoon, the sky was nice broken cloud/sun and he had his lights on full beam...AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

They're made to stay on. It's the law in many countries that cars must have lights on all the time. It's statistically proven to be miles safer.

Generic Username

You just get out the car and lamp them.

The police don't care, as long as you stick to the story of "he was driving a Volvo" you get off scot-free!

I cannot remember how many years now it has been legislated that we drive with lights on. This is only the front lights and does not involve the lighting system normally used for night driving. I personally find it quite advantageous you for sure know when someone is coming towards you, in our environment the bright sun can believe it or not make that under some circumstances difficult. Driving with high beams on is I am reasonably certain still an offence. By the way the permanent front lights do not cause rear lights to be illuminated.

I think when this sytem was introduced it had a similar reaction to seat belts which the majority of us now buckle up out of habit.

The permanent lights come on when the ignition is activated, it does not have to be done manually.

Doctor FinnBarr
They're made to stay on. It's the law in many countries that cars must have lights on all the time. It's statistically proven to be miles safer.

Proven safer by whom?

During the 2nd World War the RAF discovered that putting lights on the underside of planes rendered them virtually invisible to enemy ground forces.

If I'm on the bike and the car behind me has its lights on, it makes me invisible to anyone sitting at a junction, so I really would question where you get you're facts from!

:mad:

Volvo's are manufactured with daytime driving lights as this is law in most of the Scandinavian countries. As far as I know you can't turn them off, when you turn the engine on they come on automatically.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Correct its a legal requirement. Volvo make all car like this to reduce wiring complexity and thus save money.

The Mighty Thor
Proven safer by whom?

During the 2nd World War the RAF discovered that putting lights on the underside of planes rendered them virtually invisible to enemy ground forces.

If I'm on the bike and the car behind me has its lights on, it makes me invisible to anyone sitting at a junction, so I really would question where you get you're facts from!

This is very true mate. Unfortunately IIRC the EU is planning to push through a law that all new cars will be made with 'always-on' headlights.

If that goes ahead you can expect the numbers of us bikers being killed/maimed to rise considerably.

As you say it's hard enough to stay visible for large parts of the car driving population.

The People's Chimp
This is very true mate. Unfortunately IIRC the EU is planning to push through a law that all new cars will be made with 'always-on' headlights.

If that goes ahead you can expect the numbers of us bikers being killed/maimed to rise considerably.

As you say it's hard enough to stay visible for large parts of the car driving population.

So why not just put your own lights on?

Am I alone in finding the OP utterly ludicrous?

I did a lot of driving in California last month and there are certain parts of rural roads where there are signs stating that you are in an area where you must use your lights in daytime conditions. Then a few miles later a sign saying that you can switch them off again.

The Scandinavian thing actually makes a lot of sense when you consider that they are in a part of the world where the north has very short days at certain times of year.

The Old Tolbooth
Proven safer by whom?

Someone your size will always be visible mate ;)

Jambof3tornado

You can hardly argue with either volvo or the scandanavians road safety record when we live in a country where people still think its cool to drive without seatbelts on or to drive while chatting away on a hand held mobile!!!

Clowns!!

Father Tiresias
Volvo's are manufactured with daytime driving lights as this is law in most of the Scandinavian countries. As far as I know you can't turn them off, when you turn the engine on they come on automatically.

They can be turned off. A colleague has one and turned his off when he first got his Volvo. He did tell me how it was done but I wasn't really listening!!

Mister Dee

They took a lot of hits considering the above nugget.

Strange how they flew night missions as well.

I know what you are talking about, but there's a lot more to it than that.

The Mighty Thor
So why not just put your own lights on?

Am I alone in finding the OP utterly ludicrous?

They are on. That's the point.

All bikes have 'always on' headlights currently. It's an advantage in daylight against cars in terms of visibility. If cars have them too then bikes tend to 'blend in' to the traffic stream.

I think it's a bad idea personally, but then i'm regularly on a bright red motorbike with 2 headlights burning with a bright red helmet (ooer missus) and a bright yellow high-vis vest trying not to get wiped out by motorists that 'couldnae see ye mate'

Ride a bike mate, you'll get it in about 30 minutes.

Doctor FinnBarr
They took a lot of hits considering the above nugget.

Strange how they flew night missions as well.

I know what you are talking about, but there's a lot more to it than that.

It was something they discovered in the latter stages of the war when daytime raids were the norm.

:)

Doctor FinnBarr
They are on. That's the point.

All bikes have 'always on' headlights currently. It's an advantage in daylight against cars in terms of visibility. If cars have them too then bikes tend to 'blend in' to the traffic stream.

I think it's a bad idea personally, but then i'm regularly on a bright red motorbike with 2 headlights burning with a bright red helmet (ooer missus) and a bright yellow high-vis vest trying not to get wiped out by motorists that 'couldnae see ye mate'

Ride a bike mate, you'll get it in about 30 minutes.

They can't see me when I'm with a BIG sidecar!

:confused:

Miller Jambo 60
You just get out the car and lamp them.

The police don't care, as long as you stick to the story of "he was driving a Volvo" you get off scot-free!

Like it:)

Miller Jambo 60
You can hardly argue with either volvo or the scandanavians road safety record when we live in a country where people still think its cool to drive without seatbelts on or to drive while chatting away on a hand held mobile!!!

Clowns!!

Mobile phone 3 points Fag 3 Points .

2 bad acts

I P Knightley

It's like I've been transported back in time to the 1970s and Richard Stillgoe's telling the jokes...

Archived