***EURO 2020 - SEMI FINALS***

Cade

dobmisterdobster
31 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Much of the discussion of cheating is missing the point. While most of us can agree that it's a bad thing and the game would be better off without it, the point is that VAR should render cheating pointless because the replay will catch the offender out.

A lot of people have said how well VAR has been used at the Euros but I disagree. There are far too many situations where VAR has intervened to award a very soft penalty and far too few situations where VAR has intervened to prevent a very soft penalty being awarded. 

There should also be much more retrospective punishment of players who cheat but I'm not aware of anyone having been cited for diving in this competition despite some pretty embarrassing dives by various players during the competition.  

The VAR can't prevent soft penalties from being awarded unless there is zero contact made.

There was contact with Sterling so decision stands.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Big Slim Stylee

• Cruyff

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Shouldn't need VAR

Only have to look to see who the player is. Kane and Sterling love a little plunge in the box and how the officials still get sucked in by them is staggering.

Still, if that's how they want to win matches so be it

Edited by Maroon Sailor

There can't be another sport that rewards cheating as handsomely as football does with diving. 

If Rory McIlroy kicked his ball 6 feet closer to the pin he'd be banned sine die, or if Lewis Hamilton took a shortcut during a race he'd be DQd immediately.

But football rewards players and teams that get away with cheating, and does virtual nowt to those that are caught.

Comforting as it is to make out it's unique to Sterling and Kane, it's absolutely ubiquitous, and if a Hearts or Scotland player did it successfully we'd all be applauding how clever they'd been.

Diving and over-egging injuries are a blot on the beautiful game.

*That said, I hope Italy get the softest penalty in history on Sunday. 🙏

3 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The VAR can't prevent soft penalties from being awarded unless there is zero contact made.

There was contact with Sterling so decision stands.

But that's because UEFA have set those as the ground rules for VAR intervention. At the end of the day the point of VAR should be to stop bad decisions being made but during this tournament there has been a whole load of ridiculous penalty awards. 

13 hours ago, jambopilms said:

I don't watch the EPL that often, does Kane aways play on roller skates or it just when he plays for England.

Biggest diver in world football with strong competition from Sterling and Grealish. 

Semi on topic:

So I've been waiting years to hear Peter Beardsley doing the World In Motion rap as heard it was hilarious and....it didn't disappoint.

However incredibly  it's not the worst WIM rap released today.

Exhibit A:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/unheard-raps-from-new-orders-world-in-motion-to-go-up-for-auction-2987879

Exhibit B:

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Semi on topic:

So I've been waiting years to hear Peter Beardsley doing the World In Motion rap as heard it was hilarious and....it didn't disappoint.

However incredibly  it's not the worst WIM rap released today.

Exhibit A:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/unheard-raps-from-new-orders-world-in-motion-to-go-up-for-auction-2987879

Exhibit B:

I pressed play but nearly dislocated a toe cringing at the thought and turned it off before anything started.

Someone's going to have to report back on this one

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I pressed play but nearly dislocated a toe cringing at the thought and turned it off before anything started.

Someone's going to have to report back on this one

😀 Assume the JRM one. It is a once heard can't be unheard unfortunately. I've listened to the Beardsley one about 10 times now.

Bazzas right boot

I thought it was a penalty. 

His leg gets clipped. 

Soft, but a penalty imo. 

Unfortunately One a home team gets 90% of the time  and the away team about 10% of the time. 

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, Costanza said:

😀 Assume the JRM one. It is a once heard can't be unheard unfortunately. I've listened to the Beardsley one about 10 times now.

Yep, apparently I don't have the strength I thought I did!

23 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Mate, the ref refused an England penalty which could've won them the game in normal time.

Completely unfounded bias accusations.

BB2626A0-EE5E-4DE4-B8F5-1B2D7B1EA78E.jpeg

dobmisterdobster
14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I thought it was a penalty. 

His leg gets clipped. 

Soft, but a penalty imo. 

Unfortunately One a home team gets 90% of the time  and the away team about 10% of the time. 

Perfectly acceptable penalty call from the ref. The VAR needed strong evidence to overturn it.

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

BB2626A0-EE5E-4DE4-B8F5-1B2D7B1EA78E.jpeg

I was defending UEFA from corruption allegations about how they rig games to favour bigger countries.

Some England fans are complete arseholes. That's not a huge surprise. I hope they find and procecute whoever is responsible for the laser incident.

This thread is a reminder to keep away from kickback out of season. All the 'cheaters' chat..it's embarrassing like I've been redirected to perennial losers.com / Hibsnet.

Why are people choosing to lose their s.!t over this? It's nonsense to claim England are the great derby rivals we can therefore never respect when they and Germany claim each other as derby opponents.

Seems that many here can't handle anything that shows England doing well. It's really not a great look. In fact it's a terrible, unhappy and bitter stance.

England are in the final and may win it on merit. They'll need to beat the team that's been the most impressive prior to this point. Both teams have plenty of excellence, some strong characters  (I love Chiellini's style), and like every other team, a couple of known divers.

Im just hoping for a great game in a cracking atmosphere. Whoever wins this memorable tournament, I'll be happy for them and sympathetic to the runners up. They're the best English and Italian teams I can recall for a long time. Really looking forward to this one. Enjoy it 👍

Unknown user
9 hours ago, stan said:

This thread is a reminder to keep away from kickback out of season. All the 'cheaters' chat..it's embarrassing like I've been redirected to perennial losers.com / Hibsnet.

Why are people choosing to lose their s.!t over this? It's nonsense to claim England are the great derby rivals we can therefore never respect when they and Germany claim each other as derby opponents.

Seems that many here can't handle anything that shows England doing well. It's really not a great look. In fact it's a terrible, unhappy and bitter stance.

England are in the final and may win it on merit. They'll need to beat the team that's been the most impressive prior to this point. Both teams have plenty of excellence, some strong characters  (I love Chiellini's style), and like every other team, a couple of known divers.

Im just hoping for a great game in a cracking atmosphere. Whoever wins this memorable tournament, I'll be happy for them and sympathetic to the runners up. They're the best English and Italian teams I can recall for a long time. Really looking forward to this one. Enjoy it 👍

Jeez you're easily embarrassed.

And FWIW I couldn't care less how others judge my reaction to England going well. I hope they lose heavily, same as Holland hope Germany lose when they play.

If you think that's weird or bitter it's your problem, no one else's.