Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

With Bonnyrigg already confirmed at LL champions, they completed their league programme with a 1-0 win away to East Kilbride.

Meanwhile, Fraserburgh sealed the HL with a 5-0 win over Forres Mechanics to finish 3 points ahead of Buckie Thistle and Brechin a further 4 points behind.

Those results will see the first leg of the Tier 5 playoff next Saturday with Bonnyrigg at home to Fraserburgh, with the second leg a week later.

The OF "B" teams will be ignored in the final league standing, although not their results.  That has created an anomaly in qualification for next season's SPFL Trust Trophy, where the top 4 LL sides are invited. The final standings will have Bonnyrigg, East Kilbride, Spartans and East Stirlingshire as the top four.  Each club in the SPFL Trust Trophy will receive a share of the sponsorship cash.  The top two will also have guaranteed access to the group stages of the League Cup.

However, had results against the OF "B" teams been expunged along with their league standings, then Berwick Rangers would have finished fourth and been included in the SPFL Trust Trophy draw. East Stirlingshire would have dropped to seventh.

It shows that the involvement of the OF "B" teams has impacted the final standings and IMO the integrity of the competition.  That said, I don't feel sorry for Berwick, as they were one of the prominent supporters of "guest sides" in the LL.

Pyramid.png.bd38ae28eea15e98f87442ae409de381.png 

Just for completeness, Celtic B finished with 73 points (14 behind Bonnyrigg), while Ranges "B" are on 70 points with one game still to play, which if they win will see them finish just ahead of Celtic "B" on goal difference.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I hope so to, but if only two clubs can be accepted and both of the Old Firm apply, I cant see it being anyone but the Old Firm.

I think priority should go to teams reaching the SFA Cup final. If 1 or more of the finalists don't apply they could go to the loser semi finalists 😂

davemclaren
On 16/04/2022 at 20:05, Footballfirst said:

With Bonnyrigg already confirmed at LL champions, they completed their league programme with a 1-0 win away to East Kilbride.

Meanwhile, Fraserburgh sealed the HL with a 5-0 win over Forres Mechanics to finish 3 points ahead of Buckie Thistle and Brechin a further 4 points behind.

Those results will see the first leg of the Tier 5 playoff next Saturday with Bonnyrigg at home to Fraserburgh, with the second leg a week later.

The OF "B" teams will be ignored in the final league standing, although not their results.  That has created an anomaly in qualification for next season's SPFL Trust Trophy, where the top 4 LL sides are invited. The final standings will have Bonnyrigg, East Kilbride, Spartans and East Stirlingshire as the top four.  Each club in the SPFL Trust Trophy will receive a share of the sponsorship cash.  The top two will also have guaranteed access to the group stages of the League Cup.

However, had results against the OF "B" teams been expunged along with their league standings, then Berwick Rangers would have finished fourth and been included in the SPFL Trust Trophy draw. East Stirlingshire would have dropped to seventh.

It shows that the involvement of the OF "B" teams has impacted the final standings and IMO the integrity of the competition.  That said, I don't feel sorry for Berwick, as they were one of the prominent supporters of "guest sides" in the LL.

Pyramid.png.bd38ae28eea15e98f87442ae409de381.png 

Just for completeness, Celtic B finished with 73 points (14 behind Bonnyrigg), while Ranges "B" are on 70 points with one game still to play, which if they win will see them finish just ahead of Celtic "B" on goal difference.

I have my ticket for the Bonnyrigg Rose v Fraserburgh playoff first leg on Saturday. What’s your thoughts on the relative strengths of the Lowland and Highland league?

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I have my ticket for the Bonnyrigg Rose v Fraserburgh playoff first leg on Saturday. What’s your thoughts on the relative strengths of the Lowland and Highland league?

There's not a lot between the top 4 or 5 of the Highland league and the top 10 of the Lowland League. I think Bonnyrigg will be favourites against Fraserburgh, but I don't think there will be much in it.

Once the LL gets the strongest sides from tier 6 onboard the gap in standards between the two leagues will become more apparent.  

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

There's not a lot between the top 4 or 5 of the Highland league and the top 10 of the Lowland League. I think Bonnyrigg will be favourites against Fraserburgh, but I don't think there will be much in it.

Once the LL gets the strongest sides from tier 6 onboard the gap in standards between the two leagues will become more apparent.  

👍

In the Highland League, for the first time, there was due to be a play off between the perennial bottom side Fort William, and the winner of  a play off between the three feeder leagues to the Highland League. In practice there was no play off between the three as Banks o Dee were the only one of the league winners to be SFA licensed.
Earlier this evening Fort William released a cryptic statement saying
"We have taken the unfortunate decision to withdraw from our Highland League pyrimad playoff against Banks O’Dee"

FW say their goal keeper has had to return to Poland for compassionate reasons and that the Highland League are playing hard ball with them getting a replacement.
Highland League have issued a scorching reply. Rules regarding player registration for the play off were in place and known to all last year. Turns out FW actually have 5 goalkeepers registered. One of them has never played and is actually in the armed forces. The FW manager didn't even know he was a registered player.
On top of that there was  aground inspection at Fort William and they were given instruction to get the grass cut and a pitch marked.
So Fort William relegated and Banks o Dee new team in the Highland League

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/2113_Highland_Pyramid_Playoff_Cancelled_-_SHFL_Statement.aspx

Edited by RobboM

Footballfirst

Fort William response.

Brief statement from club.
We are very disappointed that the Highland league has released a statement ahead of a proposed meeting.
The released statement has many untruths in it, which will become clear over time.
Because of this statement we will refrain from updates until the SFA and other relevant people have been consulted.
The club is financially stable and ready for next season. Shadab and the squad are bitterly disappointed not to be playing tomorrow.

Footballfirst

A decent 3-1 win for Bonnyrigg in the first leg of the HL/LL playoff. They should be favourites to go through to play Cowdenbeath, who I see are coming into form with a 4-1 win at Elgin today.

Bonnyrigg dominated the first half, turning a goal to the good from a McGachie header, then went 2-0 up 10 minutes into the second half with a sweet strike from Connolly . For some reason that was their cue to switch off and allowed Fraserburgh back into the game and get a goal back.  Any nerves were settled with Lee Currie's free kick with ten minutes left. 

Bonnyrigg wasn't at their best and I was a bit disappointed by Fraserburgh TBH.

Att. 1,571

Edited by Footballfirst

davemclaren
49 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A decent 3-1 win for Bonnyrigg in the first leg of the HL/LL playoff. They should be favourites to go through to play Cowdenbeath, who I see are coming into form with a 4-1 win at Elgin today.

Bonnyrigg dominated the first half, turning a goal to the good from a McGachie header, then went 2-0 up 10 minutes into the second half with a sweet strike from Connolly . For some reason that was their cue to switch off and allowed Fraserburgh back into the game and get a goal back.  Any nerves were settled with Lee Currie's free kick with ten minutes left. 

Att. 1,571

Great free kick goal from Bonnyrigg for their third. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Great free kick goal from Bonnyrigg for their third. 

Yes. It was a peach.

1,500+ is a cracking attendance for a game at that level. I remember attending the first ever play off match, City vs Brora at Meadowbank. IIRC there were only 400-500 at the game. Bonnyrigg definitely deserving of a place in the SPFL in my eyes. Expect a similar crowd up there next week.

part_time_jambo
On 18/04/2022 at 22:40, Newton51 said:

Lowland league setup is a disgrace to football. They invite "guest clubs", but have only one team relegated, forcing the Champions of the 3 leagues below them in the so called pyramid to play off against each other to see who is worthy of replacing the team that so far has won the grand total of 5 points from 33 games. The second bottom team has won 11 points from 34 games. I don't think there is any doubt that the 3 teams in the divisions below are more worthy of a place in the Lowland League than those 2.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. It was a peach.

Lee Currie. Was on trial with us during the summer before the championship season in 2014.

8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Lee Currie. Was on trial with us during the summer before the championship season in 2014.

Ex Hibs, his dad also could hit a free kick.

23 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Ex Hibs, his dad also could hit a free kick.

Any relation to the Currie that came through our youths

Footballfirst

I note that Darvel has moved a point ahead of Auchinleck Talbot in the WOSFL, with just 4 games left for both sides.

Talbot has the easier run in on paper Rossvale (H), Rob Roy (H), Glenafton (A) and Cumbernauld (A), while Darvel has Troon (H), Blantyre (A), Kilwinning (H) and Irvine Meadow (A). It would be a shock to many if Talbot doesn't make the playoffs for the LL, and a boost to Tranent, Penicuik and Linlithgow's hopes.

7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I note that Darvel has moved a point ahead of Auchinleck Talbot in the WOSFL, with just 4 games left for both sides.

Talbot has the easier run in on paper Rossvale (H), Rob Roy (H), Glenafton (A) and Cumbernauld (A), while Darvel has Troon (H), Blantyre (A), Kilwinning (H) and Irvine Meadow (A). It would be a shock to many if Talbot doesn't make the playoffs for the LL, and a boost to Tranent, Penicuik and Linlithgow's hopes.

Darvel's run has been amazing. They have had a month of Mon, Wed, Sat fixtures to catch up on their fixture backlog, 13 fixtures since March 19 and only had 2 losses

42 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

How do play offs work into the Lowland?

Turned out wiki saved me typing 🙂 Currently too close to call in West (Darvel & Auchinleck) and East (Penicuik & Tranent) but South champions are St Cuthbert's Wanderers

A three match round robin play-off will take place between the winners of the 2021–22 East of Scotland Football League, the 2021–22 South of Scotland Football League, and the 2021–22 West of Scotland Football League, subject to all three clubs meeting the required licensing criteria for promotion. If two clubs meet the criteria they will face each other home and away, if only one club meets the criteria they will be promoted without a play-off. However if no club meets the criteria there will be no promotion to the Lowland League

15 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Att. 1,571

I thought both teams were poor to be honest. I expected a better level of football. The free kick was a peach though and the steak pies were outstanding!

I might go over to the play off v Cowdenbeath in Fife give the Rose a bit of support. Really hope they do it and Cowdenbeath go down and never to return an embarrassment of a football club.

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Allowayjambo1874
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Went to the Darvel-Talbot game last week, very decent standard and finished 2-2. 

Probably poppycock but heard rumours that Talbot aren’t that bothered on promotion due to the extra costs, Darvel being bankrolled at the moment so no issue for them. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Went to the Darvel-Talbot game last week, very decent standard and finished 2-2. 

Probably poppycock but heard rumours that Talbot aren’t that bothered on promotion due to the extra costs, Darvel being bankrolled at the moment so no issue for them. 

Auchinleck were one of the first to make the move to WOS league so I’d be surprised at that. 

Allowayjambo1874
12 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Lowland league setup is a disgrace to football. They invite "guest clubs", but have only one team relegated, forcing the Champions of the 3 leagues below them in the so called pyramid to play off against each other to see who is worthy of replacing the team that so far has won the grand total of 5 points from 33 games. The second bottom team has won 11 points from 34 games. I don't think there is any doubt that the 3 teams in the divisions below are more worthy of a place in the Lowland League than those 2.

To be honest the South of Scotland league is nowhere near as good as the west or east leagues in the pyramid. St Cuthberts won the South at a canter and will go into the play offs but reckon they will get horsed by the other play off teams. 

Tommy Brown
54 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Turned out wiki saved me typing 🙂 Currently too close to call in West (Darvel & Auchinleck) and East (Penicuik & Tranent) but South champions are St Cuthbert's Wanderers

A three match round robin play-off will take place between the winners of the 2021–22 East of Scotland Football League, the 2021–22 South of Scotland Football League, and the 2021–22 West of Scotland Football League, subject to all three clubs meeting the required licensing criteria for promotion. If two clubs meet the criteria they will face each other home and away, if only one club meets the criteria they will be promoted without a play-off. However if no club meets the criteria there will be no promotion to the Lowland League

In the unlikelyhood of all games being draw, I wonder how it will work.:lol:

Could have included VoL in a SF draw

Kept it more simple

Allowayjambo1874
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Auchinleck were one of the first to make the move to WOS league so I’d be surprised at that. 

It could be bull mate just heard it from 3 different sources now. 

Tommy Brown
9 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

They are a big fish in a small pond just now.

It works for them, all local.

Move up to Lowland, not so big a fish. More expense in travel.

It's not unfeasible that some would prefer their current standing.

1 hour ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

There is logic to this. Stay in the Scottish junior cup and local derbies etc. crowds are much better with pollok Clydebank and all of the local Ayrshire games

Footballfirst
44 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

There is logic to this. Stay in the Scottish junior cup and local derbies etc. crowds are much better with pollok Clydebank and all of the local Ayrshire games

Clydebank and Pollok will have ambitions to progress into the LL in future years and follow Darvel in that quest.  I don't think Talbot would want to be left behind.

The key is for the LL league to open up the promotion/relegation places which would increase the turnover of clubs. In that event, I'd expect that the LL will end up with a majority of WOSFL Premier clubs in the not too distant future.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

In the unlikelyhood of all games being draw, I wonder how it will work.:lol:

Could have included VoL in a SF draw

Kept it more simple

LL could have opened up more at the bottom by including the 2nd bottom team in a play off, say against the second placed team of the three.

The round robin includes penalties at the end of a draw and all sorts of means of separating the teams down to their respective points per game in their leagues

Footballfirst

I watched all three games in the last set of EOS conference playoffs between Bonnyrigg, Broxburn and Penicuik in 2019, to determine who would be EOS champion and get promoted to the LL (There was no licensed SOS champion nor a WOS league at that point) . The last of the three games between Broxburn and Bonnyrigg provided quite an occasion as all three clubs could have got promoted depending on the result, and at different times during the match all three clubs were in the promotion position.

At the start of the game (0-0) Bonnyrigg would be promoted.

Broxburn went 1-0 up, meaning that Penicuik would be promoted.

Broxburn went 2-0 up, meaning that Broxburn would be promoted

At Broxburn 2-1 up, Penicuik had the advantage again.

Bonnyrigg equalised to make it 2-2 to regain the promotion place

A late goal gave Bonnyrigg a 3-2 win, securing their promotion 

I would love to see Bonnyrigg and then Penicuik in the SPFL Leagues I want to see as many East Coast teams there as possible and I think it is healthy for Midlothian to finally have some representation from smaller clubs instead of the glut of shite wee west coast clubs that have clogged up the professional game for decades 

Tranent 2 Linlithgow 2

Penicuick 1 Broxburn 1

Tranent still 2pts in front 2 games to play

Spoke to Tranent chairman who said crowd was well over 1000

skinnybob72
15 minutes ago, systemx said:

Tranent 2 Linlithgow 2

Penicuick 1 Broxburn 1

Tranent still 2pts in front 2 games to play

Spoke to Tranent chairman who said crowd was well over 1000

I was at the Tranent game and there was nowhere near 1000 there! Closer to 500, maybe 600 at a push but certainly nowhere near 1000.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

I was at the Tranent game and there was nowhere near 1000 there! Closer to 500, maybe 600 at a push but certainly nowhere near 1000.

I was there too and would say around 600.  I enjoyed the game and its competitive nature. It's as you were at the top of the EOS Premier league, but tonight's result makes it unlikely that Linlithgow can prevail, even though their last two games are against Tranent (again) and Penicuik.

Linlithgow was well worth their two goal lead right up until Kris Renton's free kick gave Tranent a lifeline.  The penalty in the 95th minute was just another in a series of late goals that have defined the title race.

Edited by Footballfirst

On 24/04/2022 at 11:32, Footballfirst said:

Clydebank and Pollok will have ambitions to progress into the LL in future years and follow Darvel in that quest.  I don't think Talbot would want to be left behind.

The key is for the LL league to open up the promotion/relegation places which would increase the turnover of clubs. In that event, I'd expect that the LL will end up with a majority of WOSFL Premier clubs in the not too distant future.

Another potential alternative for the LL, could we see it being regionalised to East and West going forward? The West conference being a direct feeder league to the WOSFL Premier, and likewise with the East. Then the East and West play-off at the end of the season to decide the overall LL winner and subsequent play-off contender.

Think that would help a very imbalanced Lowland League at present, and also simplifies the promotion/relegation problems.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Another potential alternative for the LL, could we see it being regionalised to East and West going forward? The West conference being a direct feeder league to the WOSFL Premier, and likewise with the East. Then the East and West play-off at the end of the season to decide the overall LL winner and subsequent play-off contender.

Think that would help a very imbalanced Lowland League at present, and also simplifies the promotion/relegation problems.

It is something I have advocated previously.  The creation of an LL East and LL West at tier 5 would also serve to resolve the population imbalance between the current HL and LL catchment areas.

17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It is something I have advocated previously.  The creation of an LL East and LL West at tier 5 would also serve to resolve the population imbalance between the current HL and LL catchment areas.

Sadly, people out there get paid big bucks to come up with these forward thinking, executive decisions. And it's not us. :) 

Footballfirst

Bonnyrigg made it through to the SPFL playoff despite losing 1-0 to Fraserburgh earlier today.

Next up Cowdenbeath at New Dundas Park next Saturday.

Following the 2-legged playoff, Bonnyrigg will have the final of the South Challenge Cup to look forward to, with Auchinleck the opposition.  I don't know where the game will be played, but it should be a good contest.

45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Bonnyrigg made it through to the SPFL playoff despite losing 1-0 to Fraserburgh earlier today.

Next up Cowdenbeath at New Dundas Park next Saturday.

Following the 2-legged playoff, Bonnyrigg will have the final of the South Challenge Cup to look forward to, with Auchinleck the opposition.  I don't know where the game will be played, but it should be a good contest.

What's your views on their chances of winning the playoff final?  Cowdenbeath seem to have improved a bit in recent weeks, although they did lose to Albion Rovers today. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

What's your views on their chances of winning the playoff final?  Cowdenbeath seem to have improved a bit in recent weeks, although they did lose to Albion Rovers today. 

I think that Bonnyrigg's chances are no more than 50/50. As you say, Cowdenbeath's form has picked up over the last couple of months so it could go either way.

I read on another forum that Kieran McGachie received a second yellow after the final whistle, as as he took off his shirt to taunt the locals who had been calling him a fat "b" throughout the game. If that's correct, then I assume that he will miss the first leg of the playoff.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Find the statement a bit questionable though. They had to increase the league from 16 to 18 teams to accommodate the ugly sisters and I don't recall them 'canvassing' their members then? That meant 4 extra games a season which at that level, is a long old season. A 3rd guest club would mean a 19 team league, which is only 2 more games on top of that, but teams would get a couple of rest weeks in between which is surely beneficial. Why do they need to canvass them now?

Almost like their offer to consider alternative memberships was just a way of showing face so as not to look like they're just taking the easy option for the Old Firm, which I've no doubt they are. 'Aye, come on, the more the merrier? Oh, wait, someone else wants to join? Hmm we'll need to ask if that's okay first'. 

The Lowland League are slowly becoming a sham. Do they fear the power that some clubs could bring to the table if they wanted to form some breakaway league? Meaning the Celtic and Rangers B teams participating is purely to give them some sort of purpose in the pyramid? Or am I just reading this wrong. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread