New manager - Vlads a joke(r)

bighalders

Generic Username

Perhaps "mafia" may not have been the best word to use or even the word he did use but he's not saying anything we don't already know.

Despite being a bit of a looney sometimes he's not afraid to shoot from the hip and tell it how it is.

(I know I know, it reflects badly on us when he puts monkey nuts out for the press bla bla bla - but we need some form of entertainment don't we).

shaun.lawson
Agree with this. If Romanov knows McGhee was dissuaded from taking the job by another Scottish manager (Strachan?) then the "mafia" comment is pretty much on the money. If McGhee just decided on his own to stay at Motherwell then I guess it's a wee bit disrespectful.

EDIT - Just actually heard the interview. The word "mafia" was clearly just the interpreter trying to think of a word to describe Scottish managers sticking to things they knew and were comfortable with. It didn't even mean "mafia" in the sense that we would understand it.

Here's the thing though. If this is what happened (and it certainly could've been), then he'd clearly have a point. But actually, no-one knows; and I doubt MM would've told anyone at the club either. Meaning it could equally just be a convenient interpretation for the Romanovs, fitting right in with their paranoid, conspiratorial perspective on how things are done here.

Because that's the thing about communication, and dictators too. The less there is of the former, and the more the latter won't tolerate being questioned or challenged, the likelier it is for paranoia to grow and the plot to be ever further lost. You might say the same about the Pressley saga: I've no doubt that Romanov believes it was all a Celtic-led conspiracy - but as with many things, he's completely wrong.

The Real Maroonblood
So you all agree that Scottish Managers are a Scottish mafia and that McGhee being "local" will never rise above that level. He's a far higher level than we have

Yes they are.

Tommy Walker God rest his soul must have been part of that.

More excuses from the "Puppet Master."

Romanov you have not got a clue.

bighalders
Yes they are.

Tommy Walker God rest his soul must have been part of that.

More excuses from the "Puppet Master."

Romanov you have not got a clue.

Romanov does not have a clue, most Hearts fans would take anyone from the "Scottish Mafia" ahead of the clowns we are reported to be interested in. Why is it that every club that finished ahead of us in the league last year has a Scottish manager or a manager with considerable experience of the scottish game yet we are looknig at people with experience in China or Uganda. Vlad has never succeeded in appointing a manager at Hearts and never will. Burley was/would have been a success but Vlad failed by sacking him

Perhaps "mafia" may not have been the best word to use or even the word he did use but he's not saying anything we don't already know.

Despite being a bit of a looney sometimes he's not afraid to shoot from the hip and tell it how it is.

(I know I know, it reflects badly on us when he puts monkey nuts out for the press bla bla bla - but we need some form of entertainment don't we).

Exactly, it sounded to me like he meant the "establishment" that exists. Nothing wrong with what he said, it is true, Craig Levein and Eddie Thompson said as much last season.

Here's the thing though. If this is what happened (and it certainly could've been), then he'd clearly have a point. But actually, no-one knows; and I doubt MM would've told anyone at the club either. Meaning it could equally just be a convenient interpretation for the Romanovs, fitting right in with their paranoid, conspiratorial perspective on how things are done here. QUOTE]

Agreed. So MM doesn't take the Hearts job (and lets face it if he was only just going out to lithuania to meet Vlad we can't be sure he was very far along the negotiatiton line) so that then means there was a scottish mafia of managers persuading him otherwise? He doesn't think that maybe he got a more attractive offer from Motherwell and decided all by himself? Even if he did get advice from Strachan, all that points to is him getting advice from a friend, not some kind of mafia.

I also disliked the bit where he's saying he might find it hard to rise above that level. If that were the case why would he want him in the first place - he obvisously didn't think that a few months back. He sounds like a bitter ex-boyfriend going "ach i didnae fancy her anyway".

For all we want to say the media have it in for us and that they want Vlad to look bad, they don't really have to try very hard. He just keeps giving them more ammo to work with.

It's at the stage now where even if Vlad believes what he is saying about the league, refs etc nay even if some of it were true, Vlad is not the man who can come out and say so. He has too often used it in the past as a poor excuse for why the team are doing badly - that's why people listened to Levein and Eddie Thompson, Those decisions really did make an impact on their season, were the difference between winning the final or not, getting into europe or not, ours were not. Vlad needs to be quiet on this subject now.

The Real Maroonblood
Romanov does not have a clue, most Hearts fans would take anyone from the "Scottish Mafia" ahead of the clowns we are reported to be interested in. Why is it that every club that finished ahead of us in the league last year has a Scottish manager or a manager with considerable experience of the scottish game yet we are looknig at people with experience in China or Uganda. Vlad has never succeeded in appointing a manager at Hearts and never will. Burley was/would have been a success but Vlad failed by sacking him

It amazes me that people are still falling for his claptrap.

As long as he is here and continous his interference in team selection we will never succeed.

Seymour M Hersh
I disagree fiercely and I find the comment a slight on Scotland. :mad:

When will that man learn to shut his big trap. He just sounds like a whinging wee kid who never learns.

Get over it!!

Are you trying to tell me that almost all managers in the SPL (current) do not historically support as fans, defer to, are in awe of or even harbour ambitions to manage the ugly sisters? Personally I think this is the crux of his comments

Get over it!!

Are you trying to tell me that almost all managers in the SPL (current) do not historically support as fans, defer to, are in awe of or even harbour ambitions to manage the ugly sisters? Personally I think this is the crux of his comments

It is a crass insult to the professional players and managers in the league.

He has no class.

He has no class.

That does not make it false.

Get over it!!

The point though is so what??? Lets take the most obvious, Mark McGhee has never hidden the fact that he wants to manage Celtic but has that done Motherwell any harm? I'd certainly take their final league position and swap it with ours.

We have to get away from this Old Firm paranoia, players might want to play for them, managers manage them - but none of this hurts Hearts because in order to do this any player or manager has to perform well and do a decent job for us first.

The point though is so what??? Lets take the most obvious, Mark McGhee has never hidden the fact that he wants to manage Celtic but has that done Motherwell any harm? I'd certainly take their final league position and swap it with ours.

We have to get away from this Old Firm paranoia, players might want to play for them, managers manage them - but none of this hurts Hearts because in order to do this any player or manager has to perform well and do a decent job for us first.

Let us take this loyalty/supporter thing to the ultimate level.

When did VR become a Hearts supporter? Why would a Kaunas supporter be loyal to Hearts? Why is he able to shift his loyalty?

Why doesn't he think that players/managers can shift their professional loyalty to Hearts?

ToadKiller Dog

Anybody here a member of a trade union?

What are they about if not protecting the interests of there members

Is it ok for the papers and alex smith(head of the managers association) to refer to the largs mafia?

Think folk are being slightly over the top and over analyzing Romanovs latest interview.but if it gives you something more to gump about fair doo's .

Just think its funny how people base there understanding of it from there own entrenched position on Romanov in many ways as entrenched as Romanovs view on scottish football.

Guest Dipped Flake

I think you just hit the nail square on the head with this and it fully supports Romanovs stance (I know not what you were intending). Romanov wants a manager and players who do not see us as a stepping stone to the bigot brothers. I fully support what he said in his interview, was good to see him back and shooting from the lip, without going totally over the top as he used to do.

Drylaw Hearts
Get over it!!

Name me a country where any Manager doesn't want to join the Top clubs ?

Appointing a Foreign Manager is not going to stop this happening.

I bet if Kaunas approached any Manager at any of the other Lithuanian league sides to join them the vast majority would.

Why ?

Because they are the best Club with the biggest budget and will pay the best wages.

The same as the OF do in this Country.

Double standards by VR imo.

doctor jambo

All you need to do is look at the managers in the SPL to see that they are , indeed a cozy little gang of ex OF or OF wanabees with the notable exceptions of Levein and Jeffries

Too tight with each other by half

These are our COMPETITORS

Ferguson, Wenger and latterly Mourinho fiercely go for rival managers as they are just that- rivals

If you want to get one over on the competition you need to stick one on them sometimes, none of this "we love Rangers/Celtic" guff you hear

Its not about disrespecting others, its about having respect for your club, yourself and the fans

Vlad is absolutely on the button with this one

I dont want our manager (if and when) to be all palsy with the others- I wnat him to destroy them- end of

All you need to do is look at the managers in the SPL to see that they are , indeed a cozy little gang of ex OF or OF wanabees with the notable exceptions of Levein and Jeffries

Too tight with each other by half

These are our COMPETITORS

Ferguson, Wenger and latterly Mourinho fiercely go for rival managers as they are just that- rivals

If you want to get one over on the competition you need to stick one on them sometimes, none of this "we love Rangers/Celtic" guff you hear

Its not about disrespecting others, its about having respect for your club, yourself and the fans

Vlad is absolutely on the button with this one

I dont want our manager (if and when) to be all palsy with the others- I wnat him to destroy them- end of

What did John Colquhoun or Paul Hartley do against Celtic? Or Alex MacDonald/Sandy Jardine do against Rangers?

Lie down?

What a load of absolute paranoid xenophobic rubbish this latest piece of nonsense sis.

doctor jambo
What did John Colquhoun or Paul Hartley do against Celtic? Or Alex MacDonald/Sandy Jardine do against Rangers?

Lie down?

What a load of absolute paranoid xenophobic rubbish this latest piece of nonsense sis.

The exceptions rather than the rules there I think

Colquhoun and Hartkey were never managers anyway

Dode and Sandy had professional pride and I cannot recall them sooking the fat one about the OF in the national press

The current managers appear to be devoid of any pride in the job they currently have and seem intent on whoring themselves to Rantic at every opportunity

Especially Mcghee "I'm part of the Celtic family" and Tango Calderwood

Guest JamboRobbo
The exceptions rather than the rules there I think

since Colquhoun and Hartley are the exceptions, you'll have no problem providing a long list of the normal ones then. Those who joined Hearts and lay down to the OF?

doctor jambo
since Colquhoun and Hartley are the exceptions, you'll have no problem providing a long list of the normal ones then. Those who joined Hearts and lay down to the OF?

We have been blessed in that we have had few managers of the ex-OF variety

IN addition in times past the OF were not so dominant financially so Hearts were on more of an equal pegging, as were the other teams

The growing disparity seems to have cause this phenomenon of late, and makes a totally non-competitive league even less so

Colquhoun and Hartley owed Hearts- we made their careers, and engendered their gratitude for that reason

I think you just hit the nail square on the head with this and it fully supports Romanovs stance (I know not what you were intending). Romanov wants a manager and players who do not see us as a stepping stone to the bigot brothers. I fully support what he said in his interview, was good to see him back and shooting from the lip, without going totally over the top as he used to do.

Totally disagree with you. In Scotland like it or not the OF are the biggest teams you can play for. It is inevitable that people want to go to the big clubs. It's exactly the same in every other league I can think of, do you think people don't consider the portsmouths, evertons, tottenhams as stepping stones up to Man u, Chelsea etc?

Romanov wants to showcase his Kaunas players and sell them on but then he doesn't want people who would maybe like to go to the OF. You can't have it both ways. Harsh though it is it is VERY unrealistic to expect a player to be satisfied playing for Hearts his entire career.

Guest JamboRobbo
We have been blessed in that we have had few managers of the ex-OF variety

IN addition in times past the OF were not so dominant financially so Hearts were on more of an equal pegging, as were the other teams

The growing disparity seems to have cause this phenomenon of late, and makes a totally non-competitive league even less so

Colquhoun and Hartley owed Hearts- we made their careers, and engendered their gratitude for that reason

So despite Colquhoun and Hartley being "the exceptions", you can't even come up with a single example of what you claim is the norm?

What Romanov means, is the majority of Scottish players and managers only have eyes for the Old Firm. That's where they want to be, and that's where they are working towards.

Romanov has made it clear from day one he doesn't like this. Obviously, he did sell one player to the Old Firm but that was good business.

Romanov doesn't go for players or managers who think the Old Firm are the be all and end all. I think he's spot on if true. He just has a bad way of expressing it.

I,m sorry pal but IMO this is complete rubbish.He GAVE AWAY! Paul Hartley and Elvis to our biggest rivals ,both of whom would still be starring in our team if they were still at Tynie.

Ryan Gosling
I,m sorry pal but IMO this is complete rubbish.He GAVE AWAY! Paul Hartley and Elvis to our biggest rivals ,both of whom would still be starring in our team if they were still at Tynie.

Hartley was sold to Celtic for a great price.

Pressley chose to go to Celtic over England.

It's not like Romanov phoned Strachan and said 'Haw, wee man, I've got a late Christmas present for you ya wee bawbag'.

Much speculation based upon what each of us wants to read into the comments made.

If he had said or had interpreted the word 'clique' instead of mafia then there would not be all this fuss -- again if he had made it clear that he believes many of the Scottish managers are intimidated by the 'Old Firm' and their press followers and as a result do not have the ambitions or drive to finish above them would we be making this fuss.

I remember when we were discussing possible selections for the Scotland job and it was mooted in many papers that we should not end up with one of the 'Largs Mafia' .

I am not a Vlad follower but sometimes do despair at the weight put upon the comments he makes.

PS re McGhee -- is he not entitled to feel just a little slighted from a man who had kept him waiting for 5 months and as far as Vlad was concerned had seen us keep everything quiet to ensure that he left with dignity after a difficult period.

Seymour M Hersh

He has no class.

Rubbish, he's only pointing out what we al know to be true that the media and the vast majority of Scottish football think that football starts and ends with the ugly sisters.

Seymour M Hersh
Much speculation based upon what each of us wants to read into the comments made.

If he had said or had interpreted the word 'clique' instead of mafia then there would not be all this fuss -- again if he had made it clear that he believes many of the Scottish managers are intimidated by the 'Old Firm' and their press followers and as a result do not have the ambitions or drive to finish above them would we be making this fuss.

I remember when we were discussing possible selections for the Scotland job and it was mooted in many papers that we should not end up with one of the 'Largs Mafia' .

I am not a Vlad follower but sometimes do despair at the weight put upon the comments he makes.

PS re McGhee -- is he not entitled to feel just a little slighted from a man who had kept him waiting for 5 months and as far as Vlad was concerned had seen us keep everything quiet to ensure that he left with dignity after a difficult period.

Absolutely correct.

Rubbish, he's only pointing out what we al know to be true that the media and the vast majority of Scottish football think that football starts and ends with the ugly sisters.

It is an insult to the players and managers of Scottish football - and suggests that they cannot put aside their boyhood teams in order to lend another team their professional loyalty. The reason this has come up is because in his twisted agenda, no 'local' person can be totally faithful to Hearts playing or managing.

As I said earlier today - how does that work with Colquhoun, Hartley, Alex McDonald or Sandy Jardine?

The pure as the driven snow Hearts team - what a joke.

Seymour M Hersh
It is an insult to the players and managers of Scottish football - and suggests that they cannot put aside their boyhood teams in order to lend another team their professional loyalty. The reason this has come up is because in his twisted agenda, no 'local' person can be totally faithful to Hearts playing or managing.

As I said earlier today - how does that work with Colquhoun, Hartley, Alex McDonald or Sandy Jardine?

The pure as the driven snow Hearts team - what a joke.

I can't believe the crocodile tears pouring out of your eyes over this.

I can't believe the crocodile tears pouring out of your eyes over this.

Not crocodile tears.

I want someone who actually does understand how to win games in Scottish football. That would tend to be someone from Scotland or who has played in Scotland. That appears to have been ruled out by VR - who appears to have offered the job to someone in China because players pick each other up after a bad tackle.

So in my opinion, it would seem more likely than less likely that we will have a manager who understands how to win in Scottish football. Due to VR's paranoia.

Drylaw Hearts

The media do give them more spot light - why wouldn't they ?

The 2 biggest, high profile and best supported clubs in the land are always going to get more time/space allocated to them.

Do you think Tranmere get the same coverage in as Liverpool in Merseyside ?

But apart from them and the SFA/SPL/SFL who feed on the success of the OF, particuarly in Europe and when it comes to TV deals and sponsorship I don't think there is any Club that will gladly role over and die for the sake of the OF.

Archived