Wren kitchens

GinRummy

Getting a new kitchen around August/September. Do any posters have any experience with Wren Kitchens? Seem to be ok prices and there are a couple of shaker style kitchens in their range I like. 

I’ve known a few people to use them and their aftersales care is shocking. Personally, I’d avoid.

Have you tried Howdens? 

rossaldinho

My parents were looking at getting one from Wren but nearly everyone they know that's had one from them has said to avoid. From appliances breaking to incorrectly measuring the room so when the kitchen was due to get fitted, nothing would fit...

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Getting a new kitchen around August/September. Do any posters have any experience with Wren Kitchens? Seem to be ok prices and there are a couple of shaker style kitchens in their range I like. 

I’d go to Howdens for the units, buy the appliances online and get a kitchen fitter in to fit it. I’d be shocked if you didn’t  save about 50% on wrens prices. 

Howdens also do a design service. 

Edit: I’d echo what LBJ just posted, quality fitter is important. 

Edited by Dazo

got one from them in jan. my fitter was a self employed fitter who came and measured up as well to confirm things were right. the only issue i had was they sent the wrong sized sink and the replacement took a week to come so i was without a sink in my kitchen for 10 days. apart from that they were fine

13 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I’ve known a few people to use them and their aftersales care is shocking. Personally, I’d avoid.

Have you tried Howdens? 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’d go to Howdens for the units, buy the appliances online and get a kitchen fitter in to fit it. I’d be shocked if you didn’t  save about 50% on wrens prices. 

Howdens also do a design service. 

Edit: I’d echo what LBJ just posted, quality fitter is important. 

I haven’t tried anywhere yet. Just starting to look. Haven’t looked on Howdens site yet but will. 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Yeah we got one installed about 18 months ago. We have handless type units, can’t remember the name. 

We have a very large kitchen, it’s over 50 sq.m as a room. So there is a lot of kitchen and we did shop about due to the costs involved. I felt they represented this best value, though I could have got cheaper elsewhere, 

The units all come pre built, so a competent fitter should have no issues with it. If your doing that way or even yourself. I would also get your fitter installed in the design as no disrespect to their designers they’re clueless and the guy who came out got the measurements wrong. So do double check everything they give you!!!

We have found the units good quality, though we were defo at their upper end range, We had some issue with things arriving damaged, nothing major just chip in door or whatever via transporting. They replaced these no questions asked and their support staff were very good with any issues.

Would defo use them again. Though the importance of your fitter is probably key to getting your or your partners ‘dream’ kitchen. 

Thanks very much. 

12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I haven’t tried anywhere yet. Just starting to look. Haven’t looked on Howdens site yet but will. 

If you can wait till October that’s when they have their sale, prices will come out September some time. 

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I thought this but couldn’t get Howdens close to price I paid for Wren. Albeit Wren we’re discount crazy when we did it and yes I was getting max discount from Howdens due to family connection. 

Albeit every kitchen I did previously I used them. They also have a much more limited range in terms of units and particulary worktop surfaces, we found. 

I guess it depends on your specific situation. 

It was the complete opposite for us, wren started at £25k but reduced to £13k in the must buy now sale. 🙄

we ended paying around £7k all in. 

Just now, Dazo said:

If you can wait till October that’s when they have their sale, prices will come out September some time. 

Good to know. I’ve no fixed time. My mortgage ends next month so seems the right time to start thinking about it. I used to work in home improvement about 20 years ago but lost touch with everyone now. I know it’s a tricky business though and aftercare throughout the industry has always been poor. Puts me off a bit but needs done. Tricky business.

Yep, definitely Howden's, providing your fitter has a good relationship with them, otherwise they do have a tendency to hike prices.

Wren generally more expensive and poorer quality, and seem to be quite target-driven and pushy. And avoid Magnet too, their quote for our kitchen was almost twice that of Howden's! 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Also worth noting prices are going up for just about everything in relation to home improvements. The core commodity prices on things like timber, steel, aluminium have all rocketed during the pandemic, more than doubling in cases. 

I suspect company’s will be reflecting this in their prices, especially with increased demand for their products due to us being locked up and not allowed out country. 

As @dazo points do it during the sale time and also push them for greater discount than they offer. 

Thanks mate. Very informative. Will almost certainly hold of ‘till October if that’s when sales kick in. 

Konrad von Carstein

Used them for our kitchen, brilliant customer care from design to aftercare.

A couple of things, kickplates,  arrived with chips in the ends quickly replaced no problems at all.

We had to reorder a couple of end panels, because our joiner hibsd them, again no issue and we got them for the same price as our order. 

We didn't use their fitting service was fairly expensive from memory.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

the importance of your fitter is probably key to getting your or your partners ‘dream’ kitchen. 

100% this.

I've seen expensive kitchens poorly fitted looking terrible, and B&Q stuff looking palatial (my house).

My advice would be to find a really good joiner and involve them in the design process. They'll probably have accounts at most of the kitchen retailers anyway.

The services are all hidden so any half decent sparkie and plumber will do (you can probably do most of it yourself, but be sure to get it checked and signed off), but get the best joiner, plasteter, and tiler that you can afford. In my experience small independents are always streets ahead of the big players.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Jeffros Furios
45 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Thanks mate. Very informative. Will almost certainly hold of ‘till October if that’s when sales kick in. 

My problem with Wren was a missing part which was taking 10 days to be sent out due to them using a local courier .

They had the part in thier warehouse in the midlands but would not use other companies to send it .

Only after hours and days of me going radge down the blower did they get thier finger out and sent it within 4 working days .

They still used the same local courier , tbh im a moaning faced angry arse all the time .

A mate was just telling me a few weeks ago that their fitting service was shocking. He is still in a battle with them after essentially having to fit it himself because of the mess they made of it. The actual product he was happy with.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

100% this.

I've seen expensive kitchens poorly fitted looking terrible, and B&Q stuff looking palatial (my house).

My advice would be to find a really good joiner and involve them in the design process. They'll probably have accounts at most of the kitchen retailers anyway.

The services are all hidden so any half decent sparkie and plumber will do (you can probably do most of it yourself, but be sure to get it checked and signed off), but get the best joiner, plasteter, and tiler that you can afford. In my experience small independents are always streets ahead of the big players.

I’m hoping the boy who fitted my bathroom can do it for me. He done a grand job of that and there was building work involved, he does kitchens as well. Not quite ready to get in touch with him yet. 

38 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

My problem with Wren was a missing part which was taking 10 days to be sent out due to them using a local courier .

They had the part in thier warehouse in the midlands but would not use other companies to send it .

Only after hours and days of me going radge down the blower did they get thier finger out and sent it within 4 working days .

They still used the same local courier , tbh im a moaning faced angry arse all the time .

These are the things I just can’t be ****ed with. 

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m hoping the boy who fitted my bathroom can do it for me. He done a grand job of that and there was building work involved, he does kitchens as well. Not quite ready to get in touch with him yet. 

it would be worth at least having the conversation with him as he might suggest a specific company to design it

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it would be worth at least having the conversation with him as he might suggest a specific company to design it

You’re right. Will get a better idea of what style of doors and worktops etc I’m after then get in touch. 

Captain Canada

The quality of ours is good but they screwed up an important measurement which needed some creative joinery by our fitters. 

They didn't seem particularly bothered either which is why I wouldn't use them again. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

The quality of ours is good but they screwed up an important measurement which needed some creative joinery by our fitters. 

They didn't seem particularly bothered either which is why I wouldn't use them again. 

A few folk saying they make mistakes now. 👍

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Got ours last year from them, son knew one of the reps, great service, decent price and every inch of the kitchen used to great use.

my son fitted it so a bit cheaper.

Edited by Harry Potter

14 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Got ours last year from them, son knew one of the reps, great service, decent price and every inch of the kitchen used to great use.

my son fitted it so a bit cheaper.

Thanks H 👍

Try B&Q for the design as well, its free or used to be. Get a few prices and get them to price match. I know B&Q staff used to have a book with the equivalent units from different suppliers (Wren and Howdens amongst others) so could price match. I ended up going to Howdens and then still haggled the price. Buy your own white goods though.

Edited by jackal

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

That’s what we did last year. Saved a good bit. 

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

That really was an utter joke.

The bit in bold is spot on too.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

That’s what we did last year. Saved a good bit. 

We did that too. To be fair it was the girl who designed it that told us to hold off for the sale. 

15 minutes ago, Dazo said:

We did that too. To be fair it was the girl who designed it that told us to hold off for the sale. 

Likewise !

👍

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, jackal said:

Try B&Q for the design as well, its free or used to be. Get a few prices and get them to price match. I know B&Q staff used to have a book with the equivalent units from different suppliers (Wren and Howdens amongst others) so could price match. I ended up going to Howdens and then still haggled the price. Buy your own white goods though.

B&Q have changed supplier and have apparently been getting shocking reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
been here before
6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Has anyone had a kitchen fitted by Wickes?

Aye we did. Top notch, no complaints. The fitter done a great job.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, been here before said:

Aye we did. Top notch, no complaints. The fitter done a great job.

That’s good to know.
Was in there shop today and was quite impressed with the quality of the products on show

Walter Payton
14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Don't get a kitchen on your credit card, lads, times are tough right now.

That could be rubbish advice. 

If somebody's got money saved up (either because they've got a higher income or perhaps because they saved it for a holiday and have decided to get a new kitchen instead because of Covid restrictions) using a credit card (if they can quickly pay the balance without incurring interest) is a great idea. They could benefit from airmiles/points/cashback they wouldn't have got by transferring money or paying cash but more importantly, if anything goes wrong with the supplier (going bust, does a dodgy job etc.) it puts the merchant's bank jointly on the hook for you to get your money back. You've got far more hope of getting money back if anything goes wrong if you've used a credit card over any other form of payment. 

Better advice might be "make sure you've budgeted properly before a big purchase, if you need to borrow you can get better rates than credit cards" but I think we're all adults here and can make our own decisions. 

I P Knightley
On 12/06/2021 at 08:35, Dazo said:

I don't know about Wrens but I got my kitchen from Magnet many years ago (do they still exist?)

The game to play was to get a quote near the end of the month. The sales staff have their targets to make each month and if things are going slowly, they'll drop their prices massively. I had decided I'd pay no more than £5,000 for the kit I was getting and, despite the initial quote being just shy of £10k, I got my price.

As with many of these large chains (carpeting another example), the 'sale' is just a promotional gimmick to get people in the door. You're able to get the same price outside of sale time.

Mars plastic

Bought a kitchen from Wren last year and would highly recommend them to anyone. They were outstanding from start to finish. 

I had neither the time or inclination to ***** about saving a tenner here or there by buying the appliances from all and sundry. One delivery and only one company to complain to should anything go wrong.

Edited by Mars plastic

Howdy Doody Jambo

Are handleless units in kitchens any good? What's the point in them having cupboards that you cannot open? Or are they opened with an app, everything is too appy these days, nothing wrong with a nice brass handle on a door 

What next 

jack D and coke

Only bits advice I’d give buying a kitchen from anyone is knock back at least the first 3 prices from any company. They’re absolute chancers with the first few quotes. I sometimes wonder if some people are daft enough to accept the first ones and get really rodgered. 

Get someone you know and trust to fit it too. If you need a few numbers of good kitchen fitters gives a shout. Not saying they’ll be the cheapest but their work is second to none. 

tokyowalnut

Mixed bag with Wren. Point of sale we were quoted for additional work, price was a ‘low ball’ figure. By the time we managed to get the independent (via Wren) fitter out to properly assess our kitchen and give us a quote for the work, our 14 day cancellation had long since passed. The additional work was quoted at £3k, not the £1500. The 3k didn’t include all the work we originally were quoted for by Wren. We went to Wren about this and the showroom designer said tough, it was a quote, nothing else. We went ahead, got a delivery date sorted. That was changed twice, once at 12pm on the day of delivery and only because I called and sat on hold to the call centre for nearly an hour.

I could go on. Fitters were unreliable, Wren showroom management and kitchen designer were not interested in answering queries, always referred to the call centre which was almost impossible to get through to. 

Initial delivery was in August, finally finished in November, we still have outstanding issues that we have given up on. 

Personally, I’d never recommend Wren to anyone. There is a cracking page on Facebook with called Wren kitchen nightmares. Some eye opening stories.

I P Knightley
18 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Are handleless units in kitchens any good? What's the point in them having cupboards that you cannot open? Or are they opened with an app, everything is too appy these days, nothing wrong with a nice brass handle on a door 

What next 

I was assuming that they were those doors and drawers that you press a little to release a spring/catch mechanism.

The idea of a 'smart' set of kitchen units fills me with dread. I'd soon be taking an axe to them!

Try Howdens. I got a shaker style kitchen. (Ive got a biggish kitchen as wall where a utility cupboard used to be was taken away)

Ended up paying around £6000 all in

Captain Sausage

Currently getting a Howdens kitchen fitted. Quality seems great, but it’s required a lot more of my time than I wanted to give. 

They sent two ovens, the wrong hob, the wrong sink, a couple of cracked doors and an extractor fan that doesn’t fit into the overhead units. Need to get bigger carcasses now - all in hasn’t cost me anything other than a few hours Labour for my fitter. But still annoying. 

On 12/06/2021 at 07:53, GinRummy said:

Fife couple fuming after being left for weeks without kitchen after paying Wren Kitchens almost £20,000 up front (thescottishsun.co.uk)