Relevance of Taking the Knee in sport

Boy Daniel

Boy Daniel

As the thread in the Terrace was locked and directions from the Mod were explicitly laid out. I thought that this topic needs to be thrashed out and hopefully in a manner that doesn’t require moderator intervention again. It’s an emotive topic. My overriding take on it is that All Lives Matter not just Blacks. However racism (to Blacks in particular) is an insidious blight on humanity that exists in most societies. It needs to be tackled, exposed and dealt with across all media and social media platforms. 

What’s happening  now though is the gesture of Taking the Knee IMO has lost its impetus and its actually fragmenting opinion as can be seen in the now locked thread. What we replace it with as far as gestures or things like Show Racism the Red Card I’ve no idea however I’m sure something will.

Edited by Boy Daniel

BLM is NOT saying "Black lives matter more"

It's pointing out that a black life is seen as being worth less than others, especially in the eyes of Police, both in the States and in the UK.

A couple of the originators of the BLM movement are twats who identify as Marxists, and that's let the far-right bams label EVERY anti-racist as a communist insurgent
:silviodamn: Let's be clear. BLM is not a communist plot to overthrow the white man. That's just laughable.

Kick It Out and Show Racism The Red Card have been going for years and years and haven't actually managed to change anything for the better.

If anything, racism is worse now than it's been since the 1980s, especially on the terraces.

The very fact that the right wing bams get SO angry about taking a knee only proves that it should continue to be done.

Edited by Cade
Seymour M Hersh

None, absolutely no point to it other than to partake in self serving virtue signalling. 

Boy Daniel
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

ableist

I had to look that word up😬 Every day is an education 

They could do a handstand for all I care. It happens for 10 seconds, then the football starts. That's all I'm interested in. I don't know how anyone can actually be that bothered about it either way. 

Sooperstar
30 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

They could do a handstand for all I care. It happens for 10 seconds, then the football starts. That's all I'm interested in. I don't know how anyone can actually be that bothered about it either way. 

Yep. Let people express themselves in the manner they see fit. Don't criticise people for not partaking in it if they choose not to for their own individual reasons. It really should be that simple as long as it isn't impacting on the event itself, which taking a knee for a few seconds clearly does not.

It winds up the racists so personally I'm all for it.

jack D and coke

I have no idea what to think about most of these things now. It all feels meaningless after a while. All social media becomes a bun fight of total whataboutery and claim and counter claim and then finally people start getting called racist or nazis and I completely switch off. 
It’s a nightmare now. 

Greedy Jambo

Any excuse to moan about something, i wish my life was so great that i could concentrate on who's taking the knee and who's not lol. 

Dagger Is Back

I know I'm posting on this thread, but in reality I'm not sure I care any more about what sports people choose to do. Inequality whether borne out of religion, colour or money is wrong. Let people do the hell what THEY feel is right and that's at an individual level. @jack D and cokecalled it spot on for me.  It's completely out of control with people looking for reasons to be offended. 

jack D and coke
31 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Any excuse to moan about something, i wish my life was so great that i could concentrate on who's taking the knee and who's not lol. 

The people who want to make big noises about most things aren’t worth bothering about. Especially the social media types. I’m on all the platforms but I swear to god I hate it all :lol: I want to kill people. 
Your life probably is quite good that you struggle to give a shite man. It’s the ones that get raging about this shit that are for the watching. 

6 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

I didn’t see Turkey or Italy take the knee prior to the start. 

Yup. Racist countries, at least per the spotty little do gooders on that hobo.net thread.  

John Findlay

Individual choice. I personally believe if you dont do it, it doesnt make you a racist, unfortunately there are far to many ready to label you as one for not going on the knee.

Edited by John Findlay

I don’t really have a issue with it. People can protest about what they want. 

Albeit I can understand why, some, people may view BLM as a anti capitalist movement as opposed to just an anti racist statement. 

The intention is to show support against racism. it’s hard to criticise that, that said I could get torn in about their anti capitalist stance but I don’t really feel that’s what those taking the knee are supporting. 

Not  sure footballers want to tear down a capitalist system that is providing them 100.000’s pounds a week. Albeit hypocrisy and stupidity are not unfamiliar traits amongst footballers. 

8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Any excuse to moan about something, i

Like people taking a knee 😂

9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Yep. Let people express themselves in the manner they see fit. Don't criticise people for not partaking in it if they choose not to for their own individual reasons. It really should be that simple as long as it isn't impacting on the event itself, which taking a knee for a few seconds clearly does not.

Where I'm at.

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Fair comment.

Good to see this thread moved to the Shed as it’s not football related enough and Jim White leaving SKY is !

👍

AlimOzturk

It is cringeworthy and something I pretty much ignore now. Players do it now because it’s the done thing. In 50 years time when players are still taking the knee they will be wondering wtf they are doing it 😂

Lemongrab
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It is cringeworthy and something I pretty much ignore now. Players do it now because it’s the done thing. In 50 years time when players are still taking the knee they will be wondering wtf they are doing it 😂

In 50 years time there'll have been so many things have happened that players will have a 10 minute routine to go through before kick off.

therefsajambo

I turned up to ref a kids game a while back and had a parent demanded to know why  I hadn't  instructed the kids to take the knee. 

When I told him I felt it inappropriate to bring politics into 12 year old football match he said "oh you must be one of them" 

Getting to point where people getting offended when others simply don't agree with them. 

Ended up just  laughing at the state the  boy got himself into which actually made him worse. 

43 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

In 50 years time there'll have been so many things have happened that players will have a 10 minute routine to go through before kick off.

Will we not already be at that when we

play Celtic, what with their huddle and then taking the knee? I just want to watch the game ffs 😁

WoolfordsHearts
48 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

😄Shouldn't laugh but so very true.

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

No-one in American sports is doing it so why are we?

In America, it's done during the national anthem- which gets played before loads of different sports events. It makes great symbolic sense to kneel in contrast to standing to attention. It's having a voice against the blind acceptance that all is happy and glorious in the country.

Since we don't have anthems before a league match or a grand prix or whatever, we get this staged genuflection which, in isolation, looks like a token gesture.

I fully agree with the wishes behind the protest/movement but agree with those who've already written that it will only go the way of Show Racism the Red Card etc. There has to be something bigger behind it. Afraid I don't know what. 

Edited by I P Knightley
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

In America, it's done during the national anthem- which gets played before loads of different sports events. It makes great symbolic sense to kneel in contrast to standing to attention. It's having a voice against the blind acceptance that all is happy and glorious in the country.

Since we don't have anthems before a league match or a grand prix or whatever, we get this staged genuflection which, in isolation, looks like a token gesture.

I fully agree with the wishes behind the protest/movement but agree with those who've already written that it will only go the way of Show Racism the Red Card etc. There has to be something bigger behind it. Afraid I don't know what. 

It doesn’t make anyone, including participants, less racist.

It doesn’t expunge the history of slavery.

It contributes nothing to reduce discrimination anywhere.

Neither for or against but it needs to be seen as less “compulsory”. I don’t for one instant believe every player doing it is doing it through personal choice and expressing their own strongly held belief system. 

Just now, JackLadd said:

No knee taken by Welsh or Swiss. Why are Scotland doing this again? 

Both teams did it. 

I can get people not doing it and not agreeing with it pers se, I don’t really understand the people booing it though. 

I agree it needs to be seen as less compulsory and the negative connotation of not doing it removed.  

16 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I have no idea what to think about most of these things now. It all feels meaningless after a while. All social media becomes a bun fight of total whataboutery and claim and counter claim and then finally people start getting called racist or nazis and I completely switch off. 
It’s a nightmare now. 

Bravo! This is where I stand (not kneel). And anyone who doesn't kneel should never be castigated or vilified. It's a personal choice.

5 hours ago, therefsajambo said:

I turned up to ref a kids game a while back and had a parent demanded to know why  I hadn't  instructed the kids to take the knee. 

When I told him I felt it inappropriate to bring politics into 12 year old football match he said "oh you must be one of them" 

Getting to point where people getting offended when others simply don't agree with them. 

Ended up just  laughing at the state the  boy got himself into which actually made him worse. 

Well done you. I think if it was me they'd be looking for another ref that day.

Jeffros Furios

I wonder what the reaction will be at Tynecastle next season when they continue taking a knee infront of supporters .

Most people don't care but I'd imagine there would be a few boos .

Kback will be fun 😀