Jump to content

Football's Gambling Addiction


Maroon Sailor

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Ruth Davidson as the narrator.

 

What were the odds on that ?

Quite conservative odds on that I’d imagine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
upgotheheads

I gamble occasionally but never on-line. There's no doubt that the gambling industry is as corrosive to society as tobacco, alcohol and drugs. It really needs to be more severely regulated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I gamble occasionally but never on-line. There's no doubt that the gambling industry is as corrosive to society as tobacco, alcohol and drugs. It really needs to be more severely regulated. 

Online is very dangerous for many. I stopped gambling a few years ago. Was not an addict but from starting of at 10-30 quid a week it grew and grew until it was out of hand. I then cut back down to my original amount a week but after a time the amount grew higher again. It’s hard to explain why but it’s quite insidious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3-5% are problem gamblers from those who bet

 

It is another example of a small minority having influence over policies of various governments

 

However the 'cost' of doing nothing is just not an option and we need to address all the factors such as methods of advertising, ease of credit etc as well in order to help in the future

 

I'm not one who thinks banning strip sponsorship for example really works

 

There is no perfect solution just options on how to reduce the figures

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

That's a sobering statistic

 

On average one gambling suicide every day in the U.K

Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuinely rarely gamble. Would become addicted to it, I just know I would. Hence I just don’t do it. 
 

Mate of my gambled his whole life away and lost his family and everything. Not for me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might watch it another day.   I've got a bet on Germany to win 5-0.  Currently 0-0, Gibraltar to win 1-0 and Liechtenstein to draw 1-1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

3-5% are problem gamblers from those who bet

 

It is another example of a small minority having influence over policies of various governments

 

However the 'cost' of doing nothing is just not an option and we need to address all the factors such as methods of advertising, ease of credit etc as well in order to help in the future

 

I'm not one who thinks banning strip sponsorship for example really works

 

There is no perfect solution just options on how to reduce the figures

 

To me its the extent and intensity of gambling advertising which is a big problem.

 

Something I have noticed is that using youtube, I would say a third of the adverts it brings up when I watch videos is for gambling companies. Now I dont gamble so its more an annoyance, but if you have a problem or more likely to have a problem you cant escape it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

This year gambling has taken over from alcohol and drugs as the main addiction for footballers.

 

No doubt bet in play and the casino games have taken gambling to a whole new level.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

Look forward to the Government's white paper later this year

 

£4.3 billion raised from gambling  - so I don't expect much from it

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I might watch it another day.   I've got a bet on Germany to win 5-0.  Currently 0-0, Gibraltar to win 1-0 and Liechtenstein to draw 1-1.

I hope it was the HT score you bet on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
lost in space

Some people (mostly men) have an addictive personality.

The bookies are  big business.  You can't expect them to regulate themselves.

Needs stricter laws to stop bookmaker companies contacting punters with "free" bets.

Need to stop advertising on stadia too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I hope it was the HT score you bet on.

 

:lol:.    Typical me.    I hope my suffering doesn't last long.     Maybe a quick goal.    Sane still on the bench among others ☺.   Fingers crossed they all go off the boil in the second half. 

 

Back to the gambling issue.   You know you've got a problem when you bet Liechtenstein to draw 1-1 versus Faroe Islands.   Failed. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Some people (mostly men) have an addictive personality.

The bookies are  big business.  You can't expect them to regulate themselves.

Needs stricter laws to stop bookmaker companies contacting punters with "free" bets.

Need to stop advertising on stadia too.

just look at how much effort was required to get the betting companies to put bet limits on the FOBT machines in the shops. anything that will reduce their profits will be rallied against by the betting industry

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember being told that successful gamblers don’t gamble. They bet big and bet safe. Short odds are no good if you’re chucking on £10 and only getting £12 back. However if you’re putting on £1000 and getting £1200 back…

Link to post
Share on other sites
RustyRightPeg

I’m self excluded from all UK bookmakers so this programme is close to home.
 

I was addicted and can admit it but one day something clicked. Annie power falling at the last when I had a small fortune on tipped me over the edge. I was gambling on everything and anything and did a check on how much I’d deposited and withdrawn on all my accounts and it scared the living daylights out of me. 
 

684 days clean and counting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't gamble, never have done.  Not even the Grand National, lottery etc.  Nothing.

 

I genuinely don't understand the attraction of handing over money without guaranteed tangible reward.

 

Perhaps someone can explain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’m self excluded from all UK bookmakers so this programme is close to home.
 

I was addicted and can admit it but one day something clicked. Annie power falling at the last when I had a small fortune on tipped me over the edge. I was gambling on everything and anything and did a check on how much I’d deposited and withdrawn on all my accounts and it scared the living daylights out of me. 
 

684 days clean and counting. 

Well done and long may it continue for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’m self excluded from all UK bookmakers so this programme is close to home.
 

I was addicted and can admit it but one day something clicked. Annie power falling at the last when I had a small fortune on tipped me over the edge. I was gambling on everything and anything and did a check on how much I’d deposited and withdrawn on all my accounts and it scared the living daylights out of me. 
 

684 days clean and counting. 

Stay strong bud, well done.

 

No more than a Saturday accumulator and even that is very rare.

 

Liked to a throw couple of quid on first scorer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’m self excluded from all UK bookmakers so this programme is close to home.
 

I was addicted and can admit it but one day something clicked. Annie power falling at the last when I had a small fortune on tipped me over the edge. I was gambling on everything and anything and did a check on how much I’d deposited and withdrawn on all my accounts and it scared the living daylights out of me. 
 

684 days clean and counting. 

 

Sounds like you got out in time

 

My regular bets are on golf.

 

I tend to stay away from football bets. Waiting for one result to come in way after the rest of the results have come in and the team you are waiting on lose a last minute goal can be a real downer. You know / sense something has happened in the game as well. It will come up with the goal and straight away it will come up with the Full Time score underneath.

 

Radio is not much better - we are going to Vicarage Road shortly with news of a late goal in that match !

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I don't gamble, never have done.  Not even the Grand National, lottery etc.  Nothing.

 

I genuinely don't understand the attraction of handing over money without guaranteed tangible reward.

 

Perhaps someone can explain.

 

It's an interest when you have money on.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
lost in space
8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I don't gamble, never have done.  Not even the Grand National, lottery etc.  Nothing.

 

I genuinely don't understand the attraction of handing over money without guaranteed tangible reward.

 

Perhaps someone can explain.

I suppose its the "rush".

The feeling of winning against the odds.

The thought that you are smarter than everyone else.

Taking money from big business.

I don't bet now but this would be my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

 

It's an interest when you have money on.

 

 

I still don't get it.  I'm interested in Hearts' results cos I support Hearts.  I don't need to put any money on.

 

And I wouldn't put money on any other team, because I don't want to be interested in any other team.

 

Sorry if I sound arsey over this, but I genuinely don't understand the motivation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I still don't get it.  I'm interested in Hearts' results cos I support Hearts.  I don't need to put any money on.

 

And I wouldn't put money on any other team, because I don't want to be interested in any other team.

 

Sorry if I sound arsey over this, but I genuinely don't understand the motivation.

 

Nobody needs to put money on anything. It's not about motivation.

 

I know golf has been on the TV regularly for about 30 years. I had no real interest in it before then apart from The Masters and The Open.

 

You follow the players you have backed and get absorbed in to the tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I remember being told that successful gamblers don’t gamble. They bet big and bet safe. Short odds are no good if you’re chucking on £10 and only getting £12 back. However if you’re putting on £1000 and getting £1200 back…


File alongside the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is called Ladbrokes for a reason. Lads that gamble go ****ing broke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

The thing I always notice about these programmes is it always seems to be men who have a gambling addiction.

 

However more and more young lads are getting the bug before they reach 20

Link to post
Share on other sites
tartofmidlothian
46 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’m self excluded from all UK bookmakers so this programme is close to home.
 

I was addicted and can admit it but one day something clicked. Annie power falling at the last when I had a small fortune on tipped me over the edge. I was gambling on everything and anything and did a check on how much I’d deposited and withdrawn on all my accounts and it scared the living daylights out of me. 
 

684 days clean and counting. 

 

Well done, RRP.

 

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It is called Ladbrokes for a reason. Lads that gamble go ****ing broke.

 

Truth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
RustyRightPeg
42 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I don't gamble, never have done.  Not even the Grand National, lottery etc.  Nothing.

 

I genuinely don't understand the attraction of handing over money without guaranteed tangible reward.

 

Perhaps someone can explain.


For me it was the thrill and perhaps spending the winnings in your head before you have them.

 

A couple of big wins is all it took for me and I was off and running. 
 

40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well done and long may it continue for you. 

 

39 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Stay strong bud, well done.

 

No more than a Saturday accumulator and even that is very rare.

 

Liked to a throw couple of quid on first scorer.

 

 

36 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

Sounds like you got out in time

 

My regular bets are on golf.

 

I tend to stay away from football bets. Waiting for one result to come in way after the rest of the results have come in and the team you are waiting on lose a last minute goal can be a real downer. You know / sense something has happened in the game as well. It will come up with the goal and straight away it will come up with the Full Time score underneath.

 

Radio is not much better - we are going to Vicarage Road shortly with news of a late goal in that match !

 

Thanks folks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It is called Ladbrokes for a reason. Lads that gamble go ****ing broke.

I like that. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a compulsive gambler and even though I haven't gambled for more than 15 years, the impact of the addiction stays with me and will do for life. I'm quite confident that I won't ever gamble now and the worst of the damage I caused is a distant memory, but I am aware that I can't be complacent.

 

There are many psychological reasons for gambling addiction but I think the key for me is actually found in our chemical make up. This simple statement nails it from my experience.

 

Gambling increases the amount of dopamine and decreases the amount of serotonin you have in your brain. The thrill of winning causes an increase in Dopamine. The more dopamine you have in your brain, the more likely you are to become addicted to a certain substance or thing.

 

If you do have a problem I would recommend Gamblers Anonymous. It took me a while to get the message but without them I don't know where I would be today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I don't gamble, never have done.  Not even the Grand National, lottery etc.  Nothing.

 

I genuinely don't understand the attraction of handing over money without guaranteed tangible reward.

 

Perhaps someone can explain.

Probably how  Most folk view those that sign up to FOH

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've mentioned in this thread that I'm not a gambler, and that I don't understand the attraction of it.

 

In the light of others' struggles with gambling, I recognise that my posts might have made me appear to be presenting myself as somehow superior, which certainly was not what I intended.  I fully understand the potential negative effects of gambling on people's lives, and I wouldn't want to trivialise gambling harm in any way.

 

So thanks for not having a go at me, and good luck to everyone who has been affected by problem gambling in your fight against it.  Stay strong!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’m self excluded from all UK bookmakers so this programme is close to home.
 

I was addicted and can admit it but one day something clicked. Annie power falling at the last when I had a small fortune on tipped me over the edge. I was gambling on everything and anything and did a check on how much I’d deposited and withdrawn on all my accounts and it scared the living daylights out of me. 
 

684 days clean and counting. 

Well done, RRP.   You can genuinely feel good about yourself that your conscience kicked in before it was too late.   Stay strong. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Gambling addiction for fans

 

Gambling greed by clubs

Indeed. Allowing gambling companies to advertise on club shirts  should have been outlawed years ago, just like they did with alcohol brands (eventually).      

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many congratulations to rustyrightpeg.  I think we all know that shaking off any addiction is brutally hard.  I had a victory over smoking and I'm very proud of it.

 

Don't know about Scotland but pokies are a killer here.  I am generally liberal but if I could shut every one of them down tomorrow, I would.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who once tried to take his own life due to gambling it hit very close to home. I was a compulsive gambler and got myself into all sorts of bother however through real will and getting help I am now just over 2.5 years clean and I have paid off every penny of debt I had. It is heart breaking to see so many things on twitter etc of young people struggling with it. Personally think all gambling companies should be banned from sponsoring sport but maybe I'm just a bit bitter about it all! Anyone struggling and sees this then drop me a DM if you want to chat!

Edited by gov
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a sobering thread this has become.  So much misery associated with gambling and all other addictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a problem with gambling, thankfully the wife has it under a bit of control. I get £30 fun money a week and once it's gone it's gone and I'm not getting any more. God knows where we would be if I held the purse strings.

Well done to the 2 posters above who seem to have overcome their problems, long may it continue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Many congratulations to rustyrightpeg.  I think we all know that shaking off any addiction is brutally hard.  I had a victory over smoking and I'm very proud of it.

 

Don't know about Scotland but pokies are a killer here.  I am generally liberal but if I could shut every one of them down tomorrow, I would.

 

I had to look up pokies😀

 

I was in Finland a couple of years ago, and I was struck by the differing attitudes there to gambling and alcohol.  Supermarkets are not allowed to sell anything stronger than medium-strength beer and cider.  Anything stronger, like wine or spirits, can only be bought in a government-controlled off-licence known as an Alko shop.

 

What really struck me though was that gambling machines are everywhere.  Once through the checkouts at the supermarket, there would be a line of slot machines against the back wall.  People would literally put their bags of shopping on the floor with other people walking past and start feeding cash into gambling machines.

 

I've no idea whether gambling is a problem in Finland, as alcohol apparently was until it was brought under stricter control.  I found the amount of gambling machines weird, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
RustyRightPeg
7 hours ago, gov said:

As someone who once tried to take his own life due to gambling it hit very close to home. I was a compulsive gambler and got myself into all sorts of bother however through real will and getting help I am now just over 2.5 years clean and I have paid off every penny of debt I had. It is heart breaking to see so many things on twitter etc of young people struggling with it. Personally think all gambling companies should be banned from sponsoring sport but maybe I'm just a bit bitter about it all! Anyone struggling and sees this then drop me a DM if you want to chat!


 

stay strong bud.

 

 Likewise if anyone feels like they need a chat my DMs are open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sassenach said:

 

I had to look up pokies😀

 

I was in Finland a couple of years ago, and I was struck by the differing attitudes there to gambling and alcohol.  Supermarkets are not allowed to sell anything stronger than medium-strength beer and cider.  Anything stronger, like wine or spirits, can only be bought in a government-controlled off-licence known as an Alko shop.

 

What really struck me though was that gambling machines are everywhere.  Once through the checkouts at the supermarket, there would be a line of slot machines against the back wall.  People would literally put their bags of shopping on the floor with other people walking past and start feeding cash into gambling machines.

 

I've no idea whether gambling is a problem in Finland, as alcohol apparently was until it was brought under stricter control.  I found the amount of gambling machines weird, though.

 

The pubs and clubs in Australia have that many pokies they're almost like casinos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned in another thread.

My late father was a compulsive gambler. It brought allsorts of problems.

One think I've noticed with gamblers.

They always tell you when they have had a good win. They never mention how much they have lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, sassenach said:

I've mentioned in this thread that I'm not a gambler, and that I don't understand the attraction of it.

 

In the light of others' struggles with gambling, I recognise that my posts might have made me appear to be presenting myself as somehow superior, which certainly was not what I intended.  I fully understand the potential negative effects of gambling on people's lives, and I wouldn't want to trivialise gambling harm in any way.

 

So thanks for not having a go at me, and good luck to everyone who has been affected by problem gambling in your fight against it.  Stay strong!

Like a few others on here I’ve been a problem gambler as well. Thankfully been without a bet for just over 6 years now.

 

It’s really hard to explain to be fair to you, I can’t speak for everyone but it certainly didn’t seem like you were trivialising it so I wouldn’t worry about that, besides, before I gambled I would have felt the same way about it. In fact I started gambling by pure chance going into the bookies with a mate one day. When I was gambling loads it was on the fixed odds terminals, that’s where they really want you and they lure you in with free football bets then get you hooked on the rest. At that time you could bet £100 every 6 seconds and (in my experience anyway) I’d be standing there a in front of the machine knowing this was lunacy, chasing losses, betting outwith my means but it’s just a pure compulsion and you just can’t stop yourself.

 

This week in association with The Big Step (a charitable organisation who are tackling footballs relationship with gambling and it’s advertising) many problem gamblers from across the country are taking part in a walk from Scotland to Wembley to raise awareness of gambling harm. If anyone is curious about the issues those of us who’ve been affected by gambling have with the industry then have a wee look at their Twitter feed this week, it’s full of interviews with many of the people taking part and their stories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sassenach said:

I don't gamble, never have done.  Not even the Grand National, lottery etc.  Nothing.

 

I genuinely don't understand the attraction of handing over money without guaranteed tangible reward.

 

Perhaps someone can explain.

I'm the same.  However, as a youngster, I did play the fruit machines (puggies/bandits/whatever you want to call them), and while these were only 10p plays with a £2 jackpot (it was a while back), I did find myself chasing losses.  That's when it clicked for me.  The whole model is based on a desire to obtain the unachievable, and this model pans out for the vast majority of people who bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Going to be harsh but I have no sympathy for footballers who earn ridiculous wages gambling thier money away. 

 

Is it greed,lack of  intelligence, environmental, or just pure selfishness illness - I don't know, but I don't have sympathy for folk that bring much of the sadness and tragedy on themselves. 

Same goes for actors etc. 

 

The average Joe blogs might use gambling as a hobbie and an escape but in all honesty I still find it hard to  have sympathy for them. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...