***EURO 2020 Tournament overview***

Cade

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Winner from Group D (England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic) plays runner-up from Group F (Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany)

Runner-up from Group D plays runner-up from Group E (Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia)

Somehow, all of a sudden, i get images of England slipping on banana skins, own goals,  mysterious invisible man tackling their goalie and scotland fortuitously scoring from interceptions.   We win the group, celebrate madly, then realise we got France. Germany or Portugal to play next.   ☺ 

🤔.    Hope we still beat England.    Will be worth it. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Mikey1874

• Boab

• Last Laff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Somehow, all of a sudden, i get images of England slipping on banana skins, own goals,  mysterious invisible man tackling their goalie and scotland fortuitously scoring from interceptions.   We win the group, celebrate madly, then realise we got France. Germany or Portugal to play next.   ☺ 

🤔.    Hope we still beat England.    Will be worth it. 

Hopefully Uri Geller won't be moving the ball on the pen spot for them again.

James1874f
12 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Imagine the buzz around the country if it was us. I want to fall in love with the national team again. 

Same hoping this tournament kick starts it for me. Used to to love going to watch Scotland even when we were mince 

If the French start slowly, that could be bad news for England who should win our group at a canter.  Yeah?

Albeit I'm far from convinced England are that great and could struggle against organised teams as it is in the group.

Edited by DETTY29

Rick James

Getting 11/1 on the Italians on Bet365, which I personally think is cracking value and worth a punt.

Byyy The Light
24 minutes ago, Locky said:

Getting 11/1 on the Italians on Bet365, which I personally think is cracking value and worth a punt.

Just checked and only offering 8/1 🤷🏼‍♂️

King prawn
28 minutes ago, Locky said:

Must be because they haven’t won it since 1968 because they’re the side on form. 

The Old Tolbooth

Simon Jordan on Talksport is such a condescending prick when talking about Scotland, it's no wonder Scotland fans want those smug pricks shut up! 

3 hours ago, Locky said:

They’re my tip, at least to get to the final.

8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

They’re my tip, at least to get to the final.

They try and score goals at least unlike Portugal's brand anti football that won it in 16. 

Seymour M Hersh

Terrible format for the Euros. Hopefully the one and only time they go with Platini's dog's breakfast of a tournament. 

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Terrible format for the Euros. Hopefully the one and only time they go with Platini's dog's breakfast of a tournament. 

I quite like it although it hasn't actually started yet of course. What is it you have a problem with?

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I quite like it although it hasn't actually started yet of course. What is it you have a problem with?

Playing games in 11 different countries, should have been 12, is fine…unless there is a pandemic going on !

I really hope it goes smoothly but I honestly can’t see it going off without COVID raising it’s ugly head.

Don’t think that was your question mind !

The spreading of the tournament across the continent was decided on before Covid was a thing.

It has negative and positive traits even in the face of Covid.
Instead of hundreds of thousands of fans mixing in one nation then taking Covid back home with them, we have just a few thousand in each city attending, keeping any infection breakout in that one location (in theory at least).

51 matches is a lot for any one nation to handle and with the financial pressure the Covid has put on everyone, I'm sure most nations are quite happy to only have half a dozen games or so to worry about organising and paying for.

Just keep all the planes out of Belarus airspace, eh?

Edited by Cade

Baldwigforjack
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It is the one and only time. You don't have a 60th anniversary every 4 years.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Baldwigforjack said:

It is the one and only time. You don't have a 60th anniversary every 4 years.

I'd never heard that it had been done like this for that reason. Every day and all that. Still prefer it to beheld in one country. 

49 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'd never heard that it had been done like this for that reason. Every day and all that. Still prefer it to beheld in one country. 

Likewise. Don’t like this format at all.

4 hours ago, Cade said:

The spreading of the tournament across the continent was decided on before Covid was a thing.

It has negative and positive traits even in the face of Covid.
Instead of hundreds of thousands of fans mixing in one nation then taking Covid back home with them, we have just a few thousand in each city attending, keeping any infection breakout in that one location (in theory at least).

51 matches is a lot for any one nation to handle and with the financial pressure the Covid has put on everyone, I'm sure most nations are quite happy to only have half a dozen games or so to worry about organising and paying for.

Just keep all the planes out of Belarus airspace, eh?

I suppose the COVID situation has saved them from a logistical nightmare.

Fans would have been unable to travel without a mess of restrictions. Don’t like the format but in this crazy period, their decision has, ironically, been vindicated.

I don't think we'll ever see it THIS spread out again, but as the tournament is now 51 games instead of the 31 games in previous tournaments (due to being 24 teams instead of 16) I think we'll see lots of co-host bids of neighbouring nations in the future.

I don't see how anybody but the big boys such as Germany, France, and UK could afford a 51 match tournament on their own.

Not just from a logistical standpoint of housing and entertaining hundreds of thousands of fans, but also providing enough stadiums and training facilities.

Wembley is already hosting 8 games this year (3 group games, 2 round of 16's, both Semis and the Final).

St Petersburg is also doing 8 (6 group games, 1 round of 16 and a QF).

A groundskeeper's nightmare.

17 minutes ago, Cade said:

I don't think we'll ever see it THIS spread out again, but as the tournament is now 51 games instead of the 31 games in previous tournaments (due to being 24 teams instead of 16) I think we'll see lots of co-host bids of neighbouring nations in the future.

I don't see how anybody but the big boys such as Germany, France, and UK could afford a 51 match tournament on their own.

Not just from a logistical standpoint of housing and entertaining hundreds of thousands of fans, but also providing enough stadiums and training facilities.

Wembley is already hosting 8 games this year (3 group games, 2 round of 16's, both Semis and the Final).

Its a shame isn't it, definitely loses some of the tournament magic, really looking forward to following Scotland rugby team in France in 2 years after doing the Japan tournament.  Sadly haven't had a chance to do it for the football team as of yet but having a host nation creates that festival feeling. Popping across to Hampden for a few hours with no access to a drink will struggle to compete standing in the French South Coast sunshine 10 pints deep before the warm ups have even started!

Super_Hans
51 minutes ago, Cade said:

Read that even Spain and Portugal are looking at a joint bid for 2028.

Confirmed is a joint bid from Romania, Serbia, Greece and Bulgaria. That's too spread out for my liking especially the fact that these 4 countries would automatically qualify. None of them are at Euro 2020 interestingly.

Henry. Henry.
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I fancy Denmark to go far, they've probably got the best squad of players they've ever had. 

That’s where my each way money is going.  A very good side 

Germany utterly filleting Latvia in a friendly on Sky just now. 3-0 up and not 30 minutes in yet. 
Latvia strip is lovely though. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Germany utterly filleting Latvia in a friendly on Sky just now. 3-0 up and not 30 minutes in yet. 

Top finishes as well.   Like butter.  ☺ 

Latvia still have the baltic cup to challenge for in two days.    So I imagine they won't go all out here. 

Edited by HMFC01

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I nipped to the kitchen when they went 1 up, came back and it's 3 😐😁

Latvia are pish mind you.

5 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Correct score lottery

Germany. 5-0 I picked. 

4-0 in 40 minutes already ☺ 

5-0 now before half time

This is the football equivalent of giving cats to fighting pit bulls to give them the taste of blood before the real stuff happens. 

15 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

5-0 now before half time

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Got your 5-0 now

Yeah.    I don't do cash outs.   I'm there to the bitter or sweet end. 

No chance is it ending 5-0. 

I'm abit surprised Germany being so clinical so early though.   They usually mess about before tournaments. 

Edited by HMFC01

11 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Yeah.    I don't do cash outs.   I'm there to the bitter or sweet end. 

No chance is it ending 5-0. 

I'm abit surprised Germany being so clinical so early though.   They usually mess about before tournaments. 

sane and werner on at HT and werner makes it 6-0

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

sane and werner on at HT and werner makes it 6-0

Aye 😡

Still got Volland from Monaco on the bench as well.    Not sure about the others.   Lack of squad depth maybe.  :detective:

It's fantastic to have Scotland back at a big tournament.  There is a lot of apathy about the national team especially among the younger generations who have not seen us at a major tournament.  I grew up watching Scotland qualify for 6 out of 7 World Cups.  I never imagined it would take so long to get back after 98.   We are finally back with a much improving team and a brilliant anthem so Yes sir we can boogie through the next few weeks...............................................MON

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

It's fantastic to have Scotland back at a big tournament.  There is a lot of apathy about the national team especially among the younger generations who have not seen us at a major tournament.  I grew up watching Scotland qualify for 6 out of 7 World Cups.  I never imagined it would take so long to get back after 98.   We are finally back with a much improving team and a brilliant anthem so Yes sir we can boogie through the next few weeks...............................................MON

Yeah it's been a bit of a weird one, it's felt a bit abstract, but the excitement's certainly rising now, I cannot wait! Talking to a bunch of english guys this morning, they don't fancy our game at all, one of them said they're playing 11 right backs these days and they know we're going to go for their throats.

A bit pessimistic of them, we have an outside chance, nothing more, but that'll do!

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Spain in the works sweepstake so someone to cheer on after we come home!!

I got Wales !

:sadrobbo:

Smoked-Glass
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yeah it's been a bit of a weird one, it's felt a bit abstract, but the excitement's certainly rising now, I cannot wait! Talking to a bunch of english guys this morning, they don't fancy our game at all, one of them said they're playing 11 right backs these days and they know we're going to go for their throats.

A bit pessimistic of them, we have an outside chance, nothing more, but that'll do!

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!

Anything can happen in one game. Just a pity it's not a penalty shootout v England as we are awsome and they are p1sh 😁

The full draw is here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

If we make predictions of course its nearly impossible. At the moment I'm mainly encouraged that England could play Portugal, France or Germany in the next round. 

But why not. Reserve the right to change this tomorrow. 

Qualifiers

Group A

1. Italy 

2. Turkey

Group B

1. Denmark 

2. Belgium 

3. Russia 

Group C

1. Netherlands 

2. Ukraine 

Group D

1. Croatia

2. England 

3. Scotland 

Group E 

1. Spain

2. Poland 

3. Sweden

Group F

1. Portugal 

2. France 

3. Germany 

Saying who plays who also seems to involve  ranking of 3rd place teams. 

Last 16

Denmark v Germany 

Italy v Ukraine

Portugal v Russia 

England v Poland 

Spain v Scotland 

Croatia v France 

Netherlands v Sweden 

Italy v Belgium 

Quarters 

Germany v Italy

Portugal v England 

Spain v France 

Netherlands v Belgium

Semis

Italy v Portugal 

France v Belgium

Final 

Portugal v France 

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Boab said:

I got Wales !

:sadrobbo:

Spain now dealing with wee covid outbreak......doomed.

My bad.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Spain now dealing with wee covid outbreak......doomed.

My bad.

If every team has an outbreak, I have a chance !

Sorry, gallows humour and all that !

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, Boab said:

If every team has an outbreak, I have a chance !

Sorry, gallows humour and all that !

Get your money on north Macedonia!! Lowest covid rates.......honest they'll stroll it.

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Get your money on north Macedonia!! Lowest covid rates.......honest they'll stroll it.

Pandev can still kick a ball !

👍