Abroad, Holiday at Home or No Holiday this Summer?

CostaJambo

CostaJambo

What are folk planning for this summer holiday-wise? Don't fancy flying nor paying an exorbitant rent for a tiny cottage so tried to do a house swap for a couple of weeks with my sister in Edinburgh (we live near Reading) but they are already booked to go camping somewhere so just gonna take a fortnight off work and stay home. What is everybody else doing? Interested to hear peoples' thoughts on flying right now, both for and against. Not quite fully comfortable with that option yet ourselves.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Playing it by ear. 

Would like to get abroad but not sure how feasible will be. That said things change quickly, 

Failing that probably hit London with kids and do the tourist things. 

I love that London. 
Never tire of it. 
Literally thousands of things to see and do.

CostaJambo
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

I love that London. 
Never tire of it. 
Literally thousands of things to see and do.

Tons to do in London and doesn't have to cost a packet once the accommodation is paid if you do your research online.

Салатные палочки

Caravan for a week in a fortnight's time. 

1 minute ago, CostaJambo said:

Tons to do in London and doesn't have to cost a packet once the accommodation is paid if you do your research online.

Exactly. The museums can keep me occupied for days...and still need more time to see them all. 
Spent a whole day in the British Museum. Then across the road for a pint and fish n chips !

Fab.

Motorhome, go where we want when we want!

oh and a trip to London for Euros...

won’t be going overseas until next year at the earliest!

Caravan holidays for me last year and the same again this year. Usually would turn my nose up at a caravan but last year was great so we're going to do it again up north in July. Bought a bike wrack for the car too. Must be getting auld. 

I wouldn't go abroad. All it takes is a mad spike in Spain, Italy, wherever and you'll have 24hrs to get home or, you'll be locked up in a hotel room. Not worth the hassle imo. 

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Jambomb said:

Motorhome, go where we want when we want!

oh and a trip to London for Euros...

won’t be going overseas until next year at the earliest!

These motor homes appear to be quite popular.

SwindonJambo
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Definitely. My sister bought a VW transporter/people carrier last year. It’s her main family vehicle for her other half and kids. They’re kitting it out for holidays. 

On thr the main point of the thread, I have no plans to go abroad this year and may even struggle to make it to Scotland. I’m handily placed for a day trip to London or Oxford.

16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We’ve hired them over the last few years, decided to buy one now as can’t see any proper holidays in the near future... should hold its value and its great fun with a young family.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Definitely. My sister bought a VW transporter/people carrier last year. It’s her main family vehicle for her other half and kids. They’re kitting it out for holidays. 

On thr the main point of the thread, I have no plans to go abroad this year and may even struggle to make it to Scotland. I’m handily placed for a day trip to London or Oxford.

There’s certainly a lot about these days.

Will also give going abroad a miss this year.

It’ll be Scotland.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambomb said:

We’ve hired them over the last few years, decided to buy one now as can’t see any proper holidays in the near future... should hold its value and its great fun with a young family.

👍

joondalupjambo

Garve / Torridon / Gairloch next week for 7 days on a walking / hill climbing break in what looks like an up market self catering cottage.

Dunkeld end of June for a week self catering a house in the centre of the village.

Edinburgh for four nights in a Premier Inn then onto Hamilton Races in the hotel over looking the racecourse for three nights, that is in September.

Dunkeld again in October in same accommodation as above.

Edinburgh / Musselburgh races for 5 nights staying at Holiday Inn in December.

The tactics I used were to book a way in advance only where you could cancel the bookings either a week in advance, or by the day before with no cancellation fees and so by doing that you got the lower rates.  I think we did it before folk perhaps realised that home holidays were going to be the better option this year. I just took the chance with all the bookings and if it all goes pear then no real financial losses.  Personally I am not sure a lot of folk read the room and held back thinking an overseas jaunt was going to be easy, now it is those people who maybe scrambling around trying to get a home stay and being faced with horrendously high rates.

Garve is 500 and looking at it a month after I booked, for the week after me it went up to 700.  Dunkeld in June is 500 and October 400 and again both are up by quite a bit in the weeks near our bookings.  I got the Premier Inn in Edinburgh for September at 35 quid a night and B&B in the Hamilton hotel was 60 quid a night.  The Holiday Inn on Queensferry Road was a flash sale at 45 a night B&B.

Appreciate that is all circa 2000 and not everyone can afford that but it is five holidays to look forward to for what I think are all very reasonable rates. Spending money is what it is and then petrol but being an old yin the bus pass will get well used.

Next year abroad if all back to "normal".   No way would we want all the hassle of an overseas trip.  It will be different for folk who own an overseas apartment and sure they will be champing at the bit to get there regardless.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Everybody Loves Baz!

Booked for Majorca for 3rd July with Jet2 and willing to jump through whatever hoops it takes. I need a break from the f$%^£$g Country.

I’ve got two weeks off in June. Got a cottage in East Lothian for one week. Got two weeks off in September and have a week in a lodge in Dumfries and Galloway for that one. 

I love going abroad, the heat and the sun. Just don’t think it’s worth it this year.

Hope to get to Australia to see my family next year.

heartsfc_fan

Scottish west coast next week in a caravan with the kids. Nothing fancy but will be nice to get away.

Fancy the North Coast 500 at some point too. Minus the kids though 😂 who are both under 5.

Savage Vince
49 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

A week in Kenmore in July and getting the kitchen done in August. 

Can’t be hooped with airports, foreign countries etc. with the current restrictions. 

Will splash out next year. 

Few bonnier spots than that neck of the woods. A simply stunning part of the world. 

Savage Vince
13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Indeed. My uncle has a mobile home on the campsite and also built a house which he rents out but will eventually retire to. 

Our kids are still fairly young (11 and nearly 7 and they love it up there). 

We’ll be in the mobile home so great for ducks kicking about, campsite bar, highland safari, the loch and walking. 

It just seemed more attractive that face masks, queues and COVID tests to be honest. 

Cracking holiday for kids and still a very relaxing place for the big folks. Been up a few times in the past couple of years and it's always good to go back. Killin is good too. Enjoy. 👍

Nucky Thompson

London for a few days with the Mrs and 14 year old lassie as they haven't been before.

I've been a few times for the football and the NFL.

Booked up for a fortnight in Lanzarote in February. Hopefully it goes ahead next year, as this year it was a long Winter

Savage Vince
Just now, Lord BJ said:

I’ve never been to places like York or Bath. Worth going to?

York is good for a bevvy. 😎

I've heard Bath is stunning to visit but never been. 

21 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Bath is nice but not a lot to do, it would be a nice weekend break. 

Dagger Is Back

Costa del Upper Wester Hailes for moi. I'll have a couple of nights in central Edinburgh courtesy of a good friend and I'm planning to regress a little and visit some places I haven't either done before or for a  good few years -  Museum of Childhood, Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh Castle etc

Next years soon enough for abroad 

Sooperstar

Given up hope of getting away this year. Certainly won't be criticising anyone who manages to get away in line with whatever rules happen to be in place at the time though.

Working in the middle of town I’ve been surprised this week with the amount of people around who are clearly tourists. 

Auldbenches
Just now, Tazio said:

Working in the middle of town I’ve been surprised this week with the amount of people around who are clearly tourists. 

Drove through Glencoe this afternoon and it was as busy as it usually is.  Lots of motor homes and motorbikes   

Stopped at Callander and that was mobbed with visitors as well.  Not a parking space to be had. 

Auldbenches
48 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Both are worth visiting.  Bath is like a mini Edinburgh and York is the only place I've seen matching it for beauty.   

York is my favourite out of the two. 

I'd recommend Salisbury before Bath.  Stunning wee town.  

The south west of England is tremendous.  

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Caravan holidays for me last year and the same again this year. Usually would turn my nose up at a caravan but last year was great so we're going to do it again up north in July. Bought a bike wrack for the car too. Must be getting auld. 

I wouldn't go abroad. All it takes is a mad spike in Spain, Italy, wherever and you'll have 24hrs to get home or, you'll be locked up in a hotel room. Not worth the hassle imo. 

Certain you can now do it at home.

Doctor FinnBarr

Going away to a cabin near Jedburgh for 5 nights in 3 weeks. Don't care or really want to see other people, when you stay in a street like mine no people is good when you get away, (drug dealers, people out on the pavement with fire pits and a car torched last week), its like being on the set of Shameless!

We hope to be getting daughter/her boyfriend and our grandaughter away for 10 nights in August but nowt booked yet, most likely Northumberland so the Mrs can visit family.

The_razors_edge

Taking the Mrs and kids to Flamingo Land next week Monday-Friday. Will fit in a trip to Scarborough to see family and probably a trip to York as well. Will have a day at diggerland in Durham on the way back home. 

Already had 5 days out in Inverary, Oban and Iona. - absolutely stunning part of the world and was right as things started opening up so basically had all of Iona to myself, bliss! 

Nothing abroad this year, waiting until Japan opens up again for that, but will likely get away up North/West again at some point and potentially down to Yorkshire in the autumn if things continue as they are. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

London for a few days with the Mrs and 14 year old lassie as they haven't been before.

I've been a few times for the football and the NFL.

Booked up for a fortnight in Lanzarote in February. Hopefully it goes ahead next year, as this year it was a long Winter

We are just going to put our holiday off until next year, but we are going to go down for the Dolphins v Jaguars game, maybe catch you there Nucky👍

No holidays this or any other year been there done that, got the memories. a vacation we enjoyed twice in U.K was renting a boat for a couple of weeks on the Norfolk Broads. Three couples. Lots of laughs, handling a boat the size of the one we had was exciting.

After moving to this side of the Atlantic, we have done the American trips with the kids. Disneyland, the Grand Canyon, my wife and I have travelled by car across the United States, and have spent lots of time in the Western States. If I had ever had the chance I would have served without pay to be a Trooper in Arizona.

If I can be permitted I would advise from my experience, take as many vacations as you can as a family, and later when the kids have grown you and the wife do what you have wanted to do and now have the freedom. They are a  wonderful way to develop family unity.

A Boy Named Crow
5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

What are folk planning for this summer holiday-wise? Don't fancy flying nor paying an exorbitant rent for a tiny cottage so tried to do a house swap for a couple of weeks with my sister in Edinburgh (we live near Reading) but they are already booked to go camping somewhere so just gonna take a fortnight off work and stay home. What is everybody else doing? Interested to hear peoples' thoughts on flying right now, both for and against. Not quite fully comfortable with that option yet ourselves.

If it's not overly nosey, where near Reading are you? I lived for many years in Maidenhead. Lovely part of the world. 

Rodger Mellie

One week in New Hampshire and Maine (Acadia National Park), Chicago/Nashville for a long weekend, and last but not least, 2 weeks in sunny Scotland in September. 

Edited by Rodger Mellie

Does the typical NC500 participant still have laminate flooring, a fire pit and rattan outside furniture cupping the Petri dish Jacuzzi underneath the faux tilled canopy?...Oh, and a Ford in the Himalayan mono-block drive?

Angry Haggis

Did the nc500 a couple of weeks ago, 4 mates on motor bikes over 5 days. Was a blast. I’ve never been further north than Inverness so was really looking forward to seeing the highlands - it did not disappoint. 

Summer holiday is planned in Devon and Cornwall, holiday home thing on the coast in July. Basically made a call earlier this year that heading abroad looked to be problematic and look for Staycation. 

Hopefully next year things are looking possible again with a trip abroad. 

hughesie27
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Likewise was in town on Sunday night for first time in 10 months. Was surprised to see families of tourists kicking about. 

I stopped paying attention tion to the rule updates not long ago, have we relaxed the 10 day quarantine rules?

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

A week in Kenmore in July and getting the kitchen done in August. 

I regularly stay in one of the wee cottages on the left hand side as you head down the hill towards the Loch. Smashing wee place.

CostaJambo
7 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

If it's not overly nosey, where near Reading are you? I lived for many years in Maidenhead. Lovely part of the world. 

Wee bit further west, outskirts of Wokingham/Bracknell.

CostaJambo
7 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

DP.

Edited by CostaJambo

AlimOzturk

Am not going abroad for a long time. 

Thinking about buying a motorhome but the current hike in prices for the vans is putting me off. Will probably end up building my own. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

That’s where my uncle’s place is (assuming you are talking about coming into Kenmore from Aberfeldy). 

Three or four houses in a row on the left just before Kenmore, were built around three years ago from memory. 

The campsite is great for he kids. 

No, coming the other way. On the left hand side as you turn down from the square.

Jambo-Jimbo

Not going abroad again this year, simply can't be bothered with all the hassle, such as wearing masks in the airport, plane & in resort, tests before & after we return, the restricted places you can travel to, then in resort restricted opening hours and numbers allowed into museums/sites, often having to pre-book your time slots, and then with the constant threat of a sudden rise in cases impacting your holiday, naw we'll just hold fire for now.

Hopefully next year, by then hopefully things will be pretty much back to something more akin to something like pre-covid normality.

Салатные палочки
9 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

Taking the Mrs and kids to Flamingo Land next week Monday-Friday. Will fit in a trip to Scarborough to see family and probably a trip to York as well. Will have a day at diggerland in Durham on the way back home. 

Diggerland :greggy: