Hearts Debate on talk107

MarkDonaldson

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Don't worry mate, I know what you mean. I'm my own harshest critic - and bearing in mind that I spoke to them literally hours after a manager had at last been appointed, it was literally the hardest possible context for me to try and get my point across. First, I wanted to make clear how happy I was at Csaba's appointment. Then, Donkey went round the panel asking people if they were with or against Romanov: he was probably expecting me to say 'no' (in which case I'd have been a greetin' faced whinger), but saying 'yes' (for I am with him) enabled him to follow up with, "so what's the point?"

That was a lose-lose situation, basically - and all I could then do was explain why I think it's still necessary to at least keep watch. I did as well as I was allowed to, basically: as well as was realistic given today's probably been the most positive day at the club in 27 months! And for the avoidance of any doubt, I'm totally behind Csaba and the team - but there are shades of grey between being against Romanov (which I'm not), and lapping everything that's happened today up.

Apologies for this post being "me, me, me" by the way: I just felt I had to respond though.

Unfortunately I did not catch your call on the show Shaun, but I am sure you would have done your best.

I would rather you were a member of the panel on this programme as I believe you would have been well prepared for it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Donaldson smells of poo so I've been told.

Read it and weep Mark, read it and weep :P

Kickback Special Forces Commander in Chief

c0045208_09014845.jpg

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
I always thought Donald Ford spoke a lot of sense until I heard him praising Calum Elliot. His sense of judgement has definitely gone down in my estimation.

Granted but he was probably racking his brains to find a decent youth player who has come through the ranks recently.

Ryan Gosling
Granted but he was probably racking his brains to find a decent youth player who has come through the ranks recently.

Like Glen, McGowan, Robinson, Jonsson or Driver who have all come into the first team since Elliot's debut?

shaun.lawson
Unfortunately I did not catch your call on the show Shaun, but I am sure you would have done your best.

I would rather you were a member of the panel on this programme as I believe you would have been well prepared for it.

Thanks - I'd have probably annoyed the heck out of everyone by being English though! And Iain and Paul are doing fine anyway.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Like Glen, McGowan, Robinson, Jonsson or Driver who have all come into the first team since Elliot's debut?

...all first team regulars of course.

jambos are go!

There is a recurring theme throughout the programme. Morrisons the Bookies have changed their name to Scotbet. God bless the BBC. Get on with it please.

Mark Donaldson smells of poo so I've been told.

Read it and weep Mark, read it and weep :P

Kickback Special Forces Commander in Chief

c0045208_09014845.jpg

Heehee.

He was a split second away from saying the immortal words..'keyboard hardman', but managed to stop himself in time to mutter about hiding behind keyboards instead.

I hope the admin mob haven't agreed to pay per mention rates though, this will be costing them a wee bit....

There is a recurring theme throughout the programme. Morrisons the Bookies have changed their name to Scotbet. God bless the BBC. Get on with it please.

You've obviously never suffered the agony that is Kickabout then...It's a very odd thing for almost every single presenter on one radio station to have such painfully irritating voices. If it wasn't for Donkey and Scott Wilson, I'd gladly never listen again.

Drylaw Hearts
You've obviously never suffered the agony that is Kickabout then...It's a very odd thing for almost every single presenter on one radio station to have such painfully irritating voices. If it wasn't for Donkey and Scott Wilson, I'd gladly never listen again.

You love it.

I bet it's on your ipod going over and over and over and over again.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Don't worry mate, I know what you mean. I'm my own harshest critic - and bearing in mind that I spoke to them literally hours after a manager had at last been appointed, it was literally the hardest possible context for me to try and get my point across. First, I wanted to make clear how happy I was at Csaba's appointment. Then, Donkey went round the panel asking people if they were with or against Romanov: he was probably expecting me to say 'no' (in which case I'd have been a greetin' faced whinger), but saying 'yes' (for I am with him) enabled him to follow up with, "so what's the point?"

That was a lose-lose situation, basically - and all I could then do was explain why I think it's still necessary to at least keep watch. I did as well as I was allowed to, basically: as well as was realistic given today's probably been the most positive day at the club in 27 months! And for the avoidance of any doubt, I'm totally behind Csaba and the team - but there are shades of grey between being against Romanov (which I'm not), and lapping everything that's happened today up.

Apologies for this post being "me, me, me" by the way: I just felt I had to respond though.

I am in total agreement with Shaun on this, in the last year this has been probably the best week for the club. That leaves 51 other weeks that have not been as good. If this is the first week of better communication and a more hands off Vlad (in terms of meddling in team affairs) then the group may not have to act. But, if we have learnt one thing in the last year, nothing is ever smooth. Better imo to have a plan should it be required than have to start from square one again if things do not progress as we all want.

I am in total agreement with Shaun on this, in the last year this has been probably the best week for the club. That leaves 51 other weeks that have not been as good. If this is the first week of better communication and a more hands off Vlad (in terms of meddling in team affairs) then the group may not have to act. But, if we have learnt one thing in the last year, nothing is ever smooth. Better imo to have a plan should it be required than have to start from square one again if things do not progress as we all want.

I agree

shaun.lawson

Have you copyrighted this statement mate? ;)

But yes. I think it would be completely daft to now act as though everything's sorted: I'm as delighted and encouraged by this week's events as any other Jambo, but the proof of the pudding shall be in the eating.

You love it.

I bet it's on your ipod going over and over and over and over again.

Dammit, you got me. I can't deny it any longer, the honey smooth tones of Gordon Dallas make me weak at the knees...

Ewen and Roughie, all is forgiven.

Hans von Luck
How bent is Macca the Hobo ?

He's feckin raving.

Another **** who cannot string two words together.

Drylaw Hearts
Dammit, you got me. I can't deny it any longer, the honey smooth tones of Gordon Dallas make me weak at the knees...

I knew it.

Ewen and Roughie, all is forgiven.

Too far.

CornhillHearts

Shaun

You are yesterdays man and I for one was disappointed to hear you given radio time re your tinpot idea of a pressure group which was sunk before it started.

Some of the folk you will be dealing with will not be happy unless Hearts start garbage and Vlad sells a couple of players/we get more Liths in, you seem a reasonable enough guy but for the good of the club pack it in.

CH

I thought that PBTCAL did pretty well.

But the person who spoke who I agreed with most was Donald Ford.

ford donald
I still don't get this Barry Anderson thing - is it simply because he has the misfortune to actually have to publish his opinion on all things Edinburgh/football related every few days? If you were to scrutinise every single journalist who has to discuss Hearts on a regular basis, you're always going to find things that you don't like. I'd be more tempted to have a growl about that Colleen Patterson to be honest...

Anyway, Barry has always seemed pretty fair about things imho. Of course, there will have been the odd exception, but he was very vocal about our rotten treatment at the hands of referees and officials last season and has championed our cause on a number of occasions. I don't think he's a bad guy at all, I just think he sometimes writes things we don't always want to hear...mixed in with the standard, occasional dollop of journalistic codswallop.

I think he's a good addition to the panel. :)

YOUR TALKING SENSE,some people on this site just dont look between the trees!

ford donald

WELL DONE MARK.KEPT A LIVELY DEBATE GOING,PITY SOME OF THE PANEL WHERE NOT A LITTLE BIT MORE VOCAL!

RONNIE.;)

Really disappointed it wasn't me. I did the 107 post about my future grand-children but forgot to put my my name to it. Nap to win-- sympathy vote if nothing else. Didn't really want the home strip' preferred the away strip!

I know many will probably disagree with this but I am one of the few folk who actually don't mind Barry Anderson and I thought he came across pretty well on the debate and his points made sense.

I did, and delighted I am too!!!

The man who always wins? Was you who hit the flag to win the bag to win the chance to draw out a chance to win a lottery ticket with a chance to win the right to name the groundsman's birthday to win a trip to Prague?

The man who always wins? Was you who hit the flag to win the bag to win the chance to draw out a chance to win a lottery ticket with a chance to win the right to name the groundsman's birthday to win a trip to Prague?

Was indeed, and the Sunday before the trip to Sarajevo, (so well before Prague) I also won the sunday mail comp for 2 mor tickets so ther was me and 2 mates on the team charter, and all for the price of the beer we drank whilst we were there. Oh I think I must have spent at least 40 quid!!!

I may very well end up moving to Edinburgh: it's certainly top of my preferred list of academic jobs!

Careful Shaun: you may never escape back south. I moved up to Edinburgh from London on a three-year academic contract. That was over twenty years ago.... :)

shaun.lawson
Shaun

You are yesterdays man and I for one was disappointed to hear you given radio time re your tinpot idea of a pressure group which was sunk before it started.

Some of the folk you will be dealing with will not be happy unless Hearts start garbage and Vlad sells a couple of players/we get more Liths in, you seem a reasonable enough guy but for the good of the club pack it in.

CH

Cornhill,

I understand your concerns: really, I do. I've made a point of ensuring the people I meet this weekend are all moderate, with diverse views, none of whom are anywhere near wanting Romanov out - and neither am I. I hope you realise that after I re-emphasised it earlier too!

But while congratulating the club on the appointment of Csaba, and getting behind the team, there is nothing wrong at all with wanting regular communication, and much more openness and transparency. All any of us want is a club run properly, so we can forget about politics and just concentrate on the football again! And it would also be plain daft to act like everything is now hunky dory on the back of one very positive week (which again, I'm delighted about).

Regardless, I do get your point - and if at all possible, want to assure you that we're no threat, and there's nothing to fear from what we're doing. More than likely, it'll go on the back burner now anyway - but it's up to the club to ensure it stays that way.

Have a good time in Belfast: really, I mean that. And come on the Hearts!

Shaun.

shaun.lawson
Careful Shaun: you may never escape back south. I moved up to Edinburgh from London on a three-year academic contract. That was over twenty years ago.... :)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happens to me too, to be honest! Edinburgh folk whine about an awful lot - but the quality of life there knocks much of England into a cocked hat.

I know many will probably disagree with this but I am one of the few folk who actually don't mind Barry Anderson and I thought he came across pretty well on the debate and his points made sense.

I agree with you there Barry Anderson seemed like a decent journo but maybe I was just blinded by his sudden positivity. He made more sense than some of his Evening News ramblings which seem to occur when he has nothing to write about on the slow news days.

Another thing that struck me was Charlie Mann's unflappable positivity about Vlad. When asked about whether he supported Vlad the answer was "yes" with seemingly no second thought. For a guy who worked closely with him for a good few years and left with a few parting shots, his confidence in Vlad spoke volumes to me.

J.T.F.Robertson
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happens to me too, to be honest! Edinburgh folk whine about an awful lot - but the quality of life there knocks much of England into a cocked hat.

Familiarity often breeds contempt. ;)

The problem folk have with BA was illustrated tonight IMHO. He said that he is the journalist in Scotland with the most access to Tynecastle and that at the EEN he has to fill 3 pages a day on Hearts stories. Followed this up by saying that if Hearts don't speak to him then he has to find his stories from "other sources". Think we all know from reading Banderson what that means.

Pity nobody asked him who gave him the 3 man shortlist and whether he is away to check the piece of paper to see if there is a name on it that's been rubbed out.

If he needs to fill 3 pages a day on Hearts in the EEN (think most on here would debate that for a start) why doesn't he do what David Hardie does with Hubz and take old players out to the pub to get some?

Oh come on, I only won a top, no need to call me a hobo!!!

Myself and George Foulkes ensured you won - your email was neck and neck with the post about grandchildren and one from Stuart Rennie I think.

Although it was just appearing on a local radio station it was one of the most enjoyable Friday night's I have had in a long time (ok - it was better than driving a taxi then).

Everyone was very down to earth and having met George and Charlie for the 1st time they made me feel very welcome. Certainly you could tell by the emails and texts and speaking to the others that Hearts have taken a huge step forward in the last week - long may it continue. Today's appt his the most important the club have made since Burley.

Finally - thanks Mark again for the invite.

Corrie Jambo
Myself and George Foulkes ensured you won - your email was neck and neck with the post about grandchildren and one from Stuart Rennie I think.

Although it was just appearing on a local radio station it was one of the most enjoyable Friday night's I have had in a long time (ok - it was better than driving a taxi then).

Everyone was very down to earth and having met George and Charlie for the 1st time they made me feel very welcome. Certainly you could tell by the emails and texts and speaking to the others that Hearts have taken a huge step forward in the last week - long may it continue. Today's appt his the most important the club have made since Burley.

You done a great job there tonight and helped make it a really good programme - you said it as it is. Not like you too you are normally such a quite chap!!!

Great Job!! Plus got me a free book!:)

shaun.lawson

Nice one PTBCAL: thought you did great. :thumb:

Nice one, was it you who asked who my e mail was from?

I enjoyed the show, lots of sensible discussion along with caution, and a little optimism.

Last night was the first time I listened to talk 107 but I really enjoyed it, I thought everyone came across pretty well.

jambos are go!

Did you manage to ask GF about what he thought about the viability of the entire Macleod Street project including the new stand?

winston churchill
How bent is Macca the Hobo ?

He's feckin raving.

i am sure he's the blind guy from sunderland.

he is always on the radio phone -ins

Archived