Romanov steps up recruitment drive.

Dirk Diggler

That old chestnut

The management recruitment process taking so long that Vlad just has no option but to make decisions on players himself....

Will be interesting to see New Faces Germany 2008 though...

you mean, NO new faces

Guest JamboRobbo

Excellent. I'll sit back and await the SPL title.

I guess it's ok to have a small group of agents who you trust and get all your players from, so long as you are Vlad, and not GB.

The bit about Screpis says it all. Brought in by Romanov, punted to Kaunas, told 'erm you have no contract', reminded he had and now trying to kick him out the back door.

Keep up the good work Vlad.

Sheriff Fatman
Excellent. I'll sit back and await the SPL title.

I guess it's ok to have a small group of agents who you trust and get all your players from, so long as you are Vlad, and not GB.

To be fair this agent has given us three decent players in Ruben, Bruno and Edgaras. At least it is an indication that it won't be more duds from the pyramid.

Dr. Bapswent

Another positive step knocked back and belittled?

I don't really get it.

This is good news? Why is it being panned before any results are shown?

People have decided its already ruined.

Its unreal.

I for one am happy that this is happening and will await the results of it before I start stamping my feet and shouting swizz!!

bighalders

Yep, I've been totally anti Vlad since day one , yet yesterday I thought, the worm has turned he reduces the debt by ?12M and afterall there probably isnt that much difference in terms of owning the club between 82% and 95% shareholding so all ok. Then today, based on this story.....I'm back to resenting the guys existance again. Like most folk in fitba I ain't half fickle!:)

Guest JamboRobbo
To be fair this agent has given us three decent players in Ruben, Bruno and Edgaras. At least it is an indication that it won't be more duds from the pyramid.

Agree with that. But Vlad said a big part of his problem with Burley was that he wanted to get players from certain agents that he knew. Pot, Kettle, Black, was the point I was making.

I don't really get it.

Its unreal.

I for one am happy that this is happening and will await the results of it before I start stamping my feet and shouting swizz!!

Again Doc, I find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with you - maybe its just us?

Whoever we get in as manager, Vlad was always going to take an active role in signings. With pre-season already well underway, the sooner we get some new faces the better.

Kingston was also one of Vlad's picks. Vlad may not know how to choose a team, but he can pick the odd player!

cosanostra

Good news that we are going to get some new players.

Bad news that Vlad is deciding who they are.

He does not seem to understand positions or tactics. He just seems to collect defensive midfielders and expect them to slot in wherever he wants and create / score goals as well. Anyone who thinks that deciding on substitutions before a game has kicked off is a good idea should not have anything to do with footballing decisions.

Guest JamboRobbo

I don't really get it.

Its unreal.

Please forgive me for having a different opinion than you on the merits of Vlad having direct involvement in the players we sign. For me, Vlads direct involvment in who we sign is part of what we've been doing wrong over the past few years.

Agree with that. But Vlad said a big part of his problem with Burley was that he wanted to get players from certain agents that he knew. Pot, Kettle, Black, was the point I was making.

I think what Vlad was hinting at was that he suspected the agents were making more out of the deals than they should do, or than others might.

Vlad does seem overly suspicious and thinks that everyone wants to get their hand in his pocket but he seems to trust this guy so - fair enough.

The Old Tolbooth

As long as the players recruited are not from the pyramid, then surely it can only be seen as good news!

Please forgive me for having a different opinion than you on the merits of Vlad having direct involvement in the players we sign. For me, Vlads direct involvment in who we sign is part of what we've been doing wrong over the past few years.

(sigh) I'll forgive you on the Doc's behalf ;)

Dr. Bapswent

79895967.jpg

Drylaw Hearts

Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

cosanostra
Anybody know who Barbosa has on his books ?

I'm guessing Portugese and Spanish players. :)

Hopefully he has some full backs who can actually play football.

I've corrected your post. ;)

haha cheers JR.

As has been said... great to see we are bringing in some players, shame the process is the same as a toilet attendant trying to build a house.

He're's hoping the agent is decent and will have some decent players up his sleeve that havent already been snapped up.

alwaysthereinspirit

I just love how they make it sound like he's mad we dont have a manager.

"No friggin manager. Fine I'll just do it myself. I have to do everything around here"

I'm guessing Portugese and Spanish players. :)

Hopefully he has some full backs who can actually play football.

And Lithuanian, he was Jannys agent... if the article is to be believed.

Think it would be better saying, Portuguese and Spanish based players.

Billy the Jambo

So the mad one is on a recruitment drive for players is he ? Well how about recruiting a decent manager first then let him decide which players he wants like they do at most teams. but no the mad one will pick players and say to them here is a contract but its for kaunus you can come to Hearts in January if i think you are good enough .Then we get a planeload of useless lithuanians for the fax machine to pick on a saturday morning before the game. Thats the mad ones plan he can keep it .I wont be back until he and the lithuanian mafia have left this club for good

Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

...or on the wind-up.

Vlad's modus operandi EVERY summer since assuming full control is - take the whole summer to look for a manager, make solitary decisions on signings without the need to even consult with any manager in the meantime.

Thats why we end up in positions whereby we have 8 average first team strikers on our books, 5 average wingers, 5 average right backs etc

Vlad doesnt know the first thing about what positions we need strengthening in. Its patently obvious.

I can only hope that he is consulting with every manager on the short list about any names he is being given

Or better still, that every short list imminent manager is saying imminently "Oi, who are you bringing over on trial, because I'd be interested to know given that I might imminently be signing up"

JR, I can see where you are coming from re VR's picking of players, however as has been mentioned by a few posters the duds have really been those from the pyramid set up.

Those sourced from the agent mentioned have arguably been some of our best performers.

Now, the key to this is also once a manager is in place and VR has sourced some players that the new manager is allowed to make his own mind up. (and hopefully make some recommendations too!)

So, while scepticism and cynicism is perhaps the rational reaction to VR's actions (the boy who cried wolf, if you like) it doesn't necessarily mean that the players sourced will be duds, given that as mentioned from this agent they will not be pyramid players.

Therefore, imho, Dr Bapswent is also correct to say that we need time to see what they are like before turning up our noses.

I may be well off the mark here, but I just get the feeling that the good ship Hearts is beginning to turn round and head in the right direction again. I hope so anyway.

I just love how they make it sound like he's mad we dont have a manager.

"No friggin manager. Fine I'll just do it myself. I have to do everything around here"

haha.... can just hear it in his rushki accent.

Thought Campbell Ogilvie confirmed our new focus was going to be on Scandanavian players?

We_are_the_Hearts
...or on the wind-up.

Vlad's modus operandi EVERY summer since assuming full control is - take the whole summer to look for a manager, make solitary decisions on signings without the need to even consult with any manager in the meantime.

Thats why we end up in positions whereby we have 8 average first team strikers on our books, 5 average wingers, 5 average right backs etc

Vlad doesnt know the first thing about what positions we need strengthening in. Its patently obvious.

I can only hope that he is consulting with every manager on the short list about any names he is being given

Or better still, that every short list imminent manager is saying imminently "Oi, who are you bringing over on trial, because I'd be interested to know given that I might imminently be signing up"

An average striker and an average right back would be welcome the now!! Apart from unfit, uninterested Nade............all ours are p1sh;)

I agree that the whole squad is lopsided though. Strong in midfield, suspect everywhere else. That tells you all you need to know about the signing policy. Buy and sell comes before on the park success.

Does everyone on here believe evrything they see in a newspaper, i would have thought we would have learned by now. Where does Banderson get his info from? Not from hearts thats for sure, so another non story from the EEN.

Ryan Gosling

Vlad asks agent to whip up some players to be looked at.

New manager loks at players arranged by Vlad.

New manager takes players he likes.

Too strange?

cosanostra

That's probably a better way to put it.

We need a goal threat from centre mid, a left and right back, a decent centre half, a finisher / goalscorer and decent left and right wingers, desperately. Hopefully Barbosa has some of that lot on his agency books. If we can sign a goal threat from centre mid, we can keep Larry wide right and we only need competition for Driver at left wing. Of course, with Larry at right mid we need a better right back than Robbie as he'll get little in the way of cover from right midfield.

We'll probably sign 3 defensive midfielders and 2 goalies. :wacko:

Guest JamboRobbo
JR, I can see where you are coming from re VR's picking of players, however as has been mentioned by a few posters the duds have really been those from the pyramid set up.

Those sourced from the agent mentioned have arguably been some of our best performers.

Now, the key to this is also once a manager is in place and VR has sourced some players that the new manager is allowed to make his own mind up. (and hopefully make some recommendations too!)

So, while scepticism and cynicism is perhaps the rational reaction to VR's actions (the boy who cried wolf, if you like) it doesn't necessarily mean that the players sourced will be duds, given that as mentioned from this agent they will not be pyramid players.

Agree, other than I think Vlad shouldn't be sourcing any players. He's proven himself incompetent at that already. My point is not that the players will all definately be duds, but that the process of choosing those players is wrong, which decreases the chances of successful purchases.

Vlad sourcing the players is exactly the same process which failed us miserably the past few years...Beslija. Makela. Goncalves. Nade. To name but a few.

Therefore, imho, Dr Bapswent is also correct to say that we need time to see what they are like before turning up our noses.

To tell about indidual players, yes. To tell that the process is wrong, no. It's the same process as has cost us for the past few years, and has gotten us to the position we are in.

I may be well off the mark here, but I just get the feeling that the good ship Hearts is beginning to turn round and head in the right direction again. I hope so anyway.

I'd like to think you are right. At the moment, I feel we are at a junction where we could turn either way.

We could get a manager and let him do his job and move up the table.

Or Vlad could keep doing what he's been doing and we can continue our decline.

zicoinexile

Except that VR is bank rolling the purchase of the players - I think he has a right to be suspicious of managers using agents and I also think that this idea of a manager being involved 100% in recruitment of players is naive - the way Vlad operates may not be the way all clubs operate in this country at the moment but in due course, it will be at ALL the "serious" clubs.

It's fair enough if the players are coming over on trial for the new manager to look at in Germany. If it's anything more than that, it's not good.

Barbosa has given us a few decent players but he probably also gave us Tiago Costa.

cosanostra
Except that VR is bank rolling the purchase of the players - I think he has a right to be suspicious of managers using agents and I also think that this idea of a manager being involved 100% in recruitment of players is naive - the way Vlad operates may not be the way all clubs operate in this country at the moment but in due course, it will be at ALL the "serious" clubs.

Disagree.

I think most club owners do not believe that they should decide on players coming to the club and who plays. It's sensibe that footballing decisions should be made by football professionals. Can you imagine the Glazers signing a bunch of Americans and telling Ferguson to play them? Club owners having a say might increase, but owners playing real life champ manager like egomaniac control freak Vlad, is unlikely to happen at too many other clubs.

ToadKiller Dog

Apart from most of the Lithuanians most players chosen by Vlad or who ever else have had to go through a overly lengthy trial period before eventually getting signed.

Disagree.

I think most club owners do not believe that they should decide on players coming to the club and who plays. It's sensibe that footballing decisions should be made by football professionals. Can you imagine the Glazers signing a bunch of Americans and telling Ferguson to play them? Club owners having a say might increase, but owners playing real life champ manager like egomaniac control freak Vlad, is unlikely to happen at too many other clubs.

I think Zicoinexile is referring to the sourcing of players rather than who picks the team.

cosanostra
I think Zicoinexile is referring to the sourcing of players rather than who picks the team.

Ah right, sorry Zico.

Dr. Bapswent
Agree, other than I think Vlad shouldn't be sourcing any players. He's proven himself incompetent at that already. My point is not that the players will all definately be duds, but that the process of choosing those players is wrong, which decreases the chances of successful purchases.

Vlad sourcing the players is exactly the same process which failed us miserably the past few years...Beslija. Makela. Goncalves. Nade. To name but a few.

To tell about indidual players, yes. To tell that the process is wrong, no. It's the same process as has cost us for the past few years, and has gotten us to the position we are in.

I'd like to think you are right. At the moment, I feel we are at a junction where we could turn either way.

We could get a manager and let him do his job and move up the table.

Or Vlad could keep doing what he's been doing and we can continue our decline.

At what point did I say the process is wrong or right?

You are making assumptions about what I post, then being all arsey about it.

All i said was Im happy to wait and see what results then judge. I cant believe others wont do the same.

Guest JamboRobbo
At what point did I say the process is wrong or right?

I'm the one saying the process is wrong. The process being, that Vlad picks the players we sign.

You are making assumptions about what I post, then being all arsey about it.

All i said was Im happy to wait and see what results then judge. I cant believe others wont do the same.

That wasn't all you said at all. What you actually said was

I don't really get it.

Its unreal.

Dr. Bapswent
I'm the one saying the process is wrong. The process being, that Vlad picks the players we sign.

That wasn't all you said at all. What you actually said was

You just seemed to repeat my post. You don't seem to have a point.

Ryan Gosling
Apart from most of the Lithuanians most players chosen by Vlad or who ever else have had to go through a overly lengthy trial period before eventually getting signed.

Most of them had to.

You would have thought that Vlad might be getting a bit embarassed by his awful record in sourcing players by now.

Just compare the Vlad signing record to the couple of weeks Burley had to sign players. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dr. Bapswent
You would have thought that Vlad might be getting a bit embarassed by his awful record in sourcing players by now.

Just compare the Vlad signing record to the couple of weeks Burley had to sign players. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think this may be part of the issue being addressed (hopefully).

I get the feeling Vlad has in some way learnt from the recent past and is hopefully moving away from his previous informers, and is going to take council from those in the know. Or let others do their jobs, not do it for them.

Pure speculation of course, i just hope its is the case.

zicoinexile
Ah right, sorry Zico.

No worries - Boris is correct - I was referring to sourcing of players. The manager however has to have 100% autonomy on who plays.

VR should be suspicious of agents that he personally does not trust - I am 100% with him on that - if you want to see what a cancer Agents are in the game, just take a look at the Adebayor thing going on at Arsenal...

Generally, my view is that VR wants to have a "continental" set up (along the lines of say Barcelona where player purchases are NOT determined by the coach) where he gets the players and he then asks the coach to work with the squad (perhaps with the exception of contract disputes).

The problem is, that, whether due to frustration, ego or whatever, the guy cannot then leave well alone, and wants to then undermine the manager with his own selections.

As so many have said so often, our problems are plain to see and as simple to resolve

No worries - Boris is correct - I was referring to sourcing of players. The manager however has to have 100% autonomy on who plays.

VR should be suspicious of agents that he personally does not trust - I am 100% with him on that - if you want to see what a cancer Agents are in the game, just take a look at the Adebayor thing going on at Arsenal...

Generally, my view is that VR wants to have a "continental" set up (along the lines of say Barcelona where player purchases are NOT determined by the coach) where he gets the players and he then asks the coach to work with the squad (perhaps with the exception of contract disputes).

The problem is, that, whether due to frustration, ego or whatever, the guy cannot then leave well alone, and wants to then undermine the manager with his own selections.

As so many have said so often, our problems are plain to see and as simple to resolve

Yeah, this is my understanding of it - although I'm not quite so sure how 'simple to resolve' our problems might be. As Phil Anderton suggested in the 'Vlad Attack', the 'big man' (can we all agree to call him that? it might help!) is a bit of an egomaniac who didn't enjoy other people getting credit for good work done at Hearts. As long as we were singing his name, he was happy but as soon as Burley's name was the one being chanted he grew resentful!

That's why I was hopeful about getting Weiss - if we could have then sang songs about how great 'Vlad' was, everyone would be happy (obviously, as long as things were going well on the park!)

Archived