New Signing - Ross Stewart

iainmac

16 minutes ago, sadj said:

What if Stone (who going by this thread has said he will be out on loan) doesn’t go out on loan but is 2nd choice with Stewart 3rd choice 🤔

I’m hoping that will be the case.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• iainmac

• Hearts1975

• Bazzas right boot

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

I would hope, if anything, that would be the case. Said it before, if Stone doesn’t go out on loan next season, then that’s a real concern in the sense, as to why we would be carrying 3 keepers at the same time 

Incidentally, I would love to see HS being given a chance, sooner, rather than later.

There may be opportunities to do so, next season, depending on the circumstances. Be interesting to see what happens. I just don’t really see what value Stewart adds - that’s all.

Having Gordon and Stone backing him up as number 2 sounds appealing. It’s also a 2 year deal that’s been dished out - would have thought 12 months would be more realistic - as u said, we could re-assess at the end of the season 

We have had a habit of saying to players they can move on if they find a team maybe if in a years time we are in a place for Stone to step up we will do that with Stewart 🤷🏻‍♂️. Lot of ifs and buts but to me having Stewart on peanuts when he knows the setup already and can deputise for Gordon (hopefully not needed) while letting Stone continue to develop is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I can't imagine he's commanded a high wage at all mate.

Neither will Frear or Popescu. Should we just keep them too?

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

I’m hoping that will be the case.

Might be a year away from that. I said above colts/development loans leagues etc will be back to normal next year. Im assuming that but surely they have to be.

been here before
9 minutes ago, Australis said:

The Joy's of Robbie getting more money to waste.

Think I am going to cancel my FOH payments.

Looking like a waste of time if he stays

Go for it.

Mind and come back to let us know you've done it.

Section Q
1 hour ago, iainmac said:

Ross Stewart has signed a pre-contract on a 2 year deal.

My worry about giving Neilson a 3rd transfer window has just been realised.

He was absolutely hopeless against Brora and we reward him with a 2 year deal. Terrific.

Doyle was as good/bad......

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Different with outfield players mate, as you know. Backup goalie plays 0-5 times during a season, whereas your backup winger or centre half will quite often play ~15 times a season. Where would you spend more of your budget?

20 minutes ago, sadj said:

What if Stone (who going by this thread has said he will be out on loan) doesn’t go out on loan but is 2nd choice with Stewart 3rd choice 🤔

:wow: 

:lol:

Robbo-Jambo

He started off well and then got worse. 

That seems to ring a bell this season. 🤔

If we were in the Prem last Season, Gordon would have played every game. Plan A is he plays every game this Season as he is a top class goalie. 
Stone should go out on loan as better maximise game time than warm bench. 
Any serious issue with Gordon, loan gets recalled. 
We need a bench-warmer. 
Anyone thinking Jamie MacDonald or any other decent goalie would sign up to such a structure is deluded. 
Also, where would you rather the player budget is spent? Players who will spend time on the bench or players who might actually kick/catch a ball. 
But let’s all just moan for the sake of it. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's the same mentalists all the time. 

There's fickle and there's just plain bonkers. 

He's great, he's shit, great again. Shit 

2nd/3rd choice keeper - ahhhhh, he's shit. 

Logan is the best tho. Posters moaning about signing him, Aberdeen reject etc, we need to be giving yoof a chance... Then why we releasing him as Robbie talks about signing younger players. 

😂😂😂😂

Folk just trying to out seethe each other. 

Another one that has the irony meter flying into orbit is-

I'm not renewing/ holding it back , I'm giving up my foh... Then moan about the quality of the signings. 

Get tae bed

Absolute  jokers. 

There is no logic at all in releasing a right back who was doing a good job, to return the man who was doing a bad job to that position and then to sogn a keeper who is not better than the other 2 very poor keepers we already have on our books!  Bring in Harry Stone and aim to give him 10/12 games across all competitions - let him train every day with one of the best keepers in Scottish history. 

that aside, i and many others told you weeks ago that the dislike and lack of trust in Robbie Neilson will mean an emotional reaction to everything.  He isn’t going to get any slack whatsoever at any point even if he makes great decisions. If another manager theoretically made these decision there would be a bit of a WTF moment and then it would move on. 

However, the club are effectively in open conflict with the majority of fans who’s mind is made up. Every single thing is going to be scrutinised painfully

2 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Different with outfield players mate, as you know. Backup goalie plays 0-5 times during a season, whereas your backup winger or centre half will quite often play ~15 times a season. Where would you spend more of your budget?

I would keep the entire transfer budget - away from Robbie Neilson.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, Sid said:

If we were in the Prem last Season, Gordon would have played every game. Plan A is he plays every game this Season as he is a top class goalie. 
Stone should go out on loan as better maximise game time than warm bench. 
Any serious issue with Gordon, loan gets recalled. 
We need a bench-warmer. 
Anyone thinking Jamie MacDonald or any other decent goalie would sign up to such a structure is deluded. 
Also, where would you rather the player budget is spent? Players who will spend time on the bench or players who might actually kick/catch a ball. 
But let’s all just moan for the sake of it. 

Spot on, just folk wanting a moan.

frankblack
6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

You will have to keep them unless you pay off their contracts in full.

kingantti1874
Just now, frankblack said:

You will have to keep them unless you pay off their contracts in full.

Frear only had a one year deal. Clearly we knew he was shit when he signed on

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I would keep the entire transfer budget - away from Robbie Neilson.

Aye but if you were gaffer where would you spend the money?

Hearts1975
1 minute ago, sadj said:

We have had a habit of saying to players they can move on if they find a team maybe if in a years time we are in a place for Stone to step up we will do that with Stewart 🤷🏻‍♂️. Lot of ifs and buts but to me having Stewart on peanuts when he knows the setup already and can deputise for Gordon (hopefully not needed) while letting Stone continue to develop is a good thing.

If he goes out on loan next season then at least I would get what Neilson is trying to do. But we don’t know that for sure yet. 

Im still not sure on this whole loan thing to be honest. Still believe that if a player is good enough, age doesn’t really come into it - It appears that HS is a real talent - still developing but he could go to the very very top. Sure he would deserve his chance if circumstances dictate 

Making him number 2 at the club would be a big validation in terms of us recognising his talent. Still think that we could have done this without retaining Stewart. If he has signed for peanuts, then I suppose no real damage is done 

Randy Marsh

We would have been better off just offering Zamal a new deal if we're going to waste wages on guys like this.  Stewart is a truly honking goalkeeper.  He has looked every bit as bad as Kurkis in his brief performances. 

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Aye but if you were gaffer where would you spend the money?

We need a reliable back up keeper - Ross Stewart isn't that. He was only on loan so, easily replaced even with another loanee surely? We've now given him a 2 year deal AFTER we've seen what he's like against Brora & QoS. Incredible.

Byyy The Light
13 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I would hope, if anything, that would be the case. Said it before, if Stone doesn’t go out on loan next season, then that’s a real concern in the sense, as to why we would be carrying 3 keepers at the same time 

Incidentally, I would love to see HS being given a chance, sooner, rather than later.

There may be opportunities to do so, next season, depending on the circumstances. Be interesting to see what happens. I just don’t really see what value Stewart adds - that’s all.

Having Gordon and Stone backing him up as number 2 sounds appealing. It’s also a 2 year deal that’s been dished out - would have thought 12 months would be more realistic - as u said, we could re-assess at the end of the season 

Gordon - 1st

Stewart - 2nd

Stone loan

Gordon - 1st

Stone - 2nd (Given 10-12 games)

Stewart - 3rd

Stone - 1st

Gordon - 2nd and coaching

Stewart - ?? Contract done 

Thats how I could see the next 3 years going keeper wise and why he’s been given a 2 year deal 

Rocky jamboa
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Frear only had a one year deal. Clearly we knew he was shit when he signed on

He'll be the next one to be signed up 🙈

1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Gordon - 1st

Stewart - 2nd

Stone loan

Gordon - 1st

Stewart - 3rd

Stone - 1st

Thats how I could see the next 3 years going keeper wise and why he’s been given a 2 year deal 

Stop being so sensible. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

We need a reliable back up keeper - Ross Stewart isn't that. He was only on loan so, easily replaced even with another loanee surely? We've now given him a 2 year deal AFTER we've seen what he's like against Brora & QoS. Incredible.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play a single game over the course of his deal mate. Away and be raging about it though.

Turkishcap

Only seen the guy once v Raith I think in LC and he looked ok but I aint seen the other 2 games. Popcorn time then for the rest of the signings!

Anyway Ross welcome to the madhoose.

Rocky jamboa

Having $h!t keepers is why we're in the championship. If we'd had Gordon in goals last season, I'm certain we wouldn't have been relegated. He's saved us from even more embarrassing results this season as well. 

Saint Jambo

Awful signing. Among the worst keepers to have played for Hearts.

Raith - 3 shots, 1 goal.

East Fife - 3 shots, 2 goals. 

Brora - 3 shots, 2 goals.

QotS - 4 shots, 3 goals.

Total - 13 shots on target, 8 goals conceded

It is a truly abysmal record. In four games he has been at fault for goals in every game. He has yet to make a save of note. Incredible to think that we couldn't find a better keeper at similar cost. If Stone goes on loan, taking the risk of Stewart having to step in if Gordon is injured is crazy. 

Hearts1975
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Gordon - 1st

Stewart - 2nd

Stone loan

Gordon - 1st

Stewart - 3rd

Stone - 1st

Possibly. It would make sense but as I said before, if Stone doesn’t get loaned out next season, then what was the point in doing this 

It comes down to what you want as an individual to see with good prospects - either get them in the team at the first opportunity or go down the loan route. We have loaned out several of our youngsters over the last few years but who has came back into the side and been a mainstay ? I guess that’s part of my point. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, Saint Jambo said:

Awful signing. Among the worst keepers to have played for Hearts.

Raith - 3 shots, 1 goal.

East Fife - 3 shots, 2 goals. 

Brora - 3 shots, 2 goals.

QotS - 4 shots, 3 goals.

Total - 13 shots on target, 8 goals conceded

It is a truly abysmal record. In four games he has been at fault for goals in every game. He has yet to make a save of note. Incredible to think that we couldn't find a better keeper at similar cost. If Stone goes on loan, taking the risk of Stewart having to step in if Gordon is injured is crazy. 

Sample size isnt great though is it mate. Hard to make a judgement off of 13 shots faced.

Byyy The Light
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Possibly. It would make sense but as I said before, if Stone doesn’t get loaned out next season, then what was the point in doing this 

It comes down to what you want as an individual to see with good prospects - either get them in the team at the first opportunity or go down the loan route. We have loaned out several of our youngsters over the last few years but who has came back into the side and been a mainstay ? I guess that’s part of my point. 

So you are getting upset over something that might not happen?

Keepers are a completely different prospect when it comes to development. You don’t chuck them on for half an hour here and there to give them a taste of the action.

I genuinely think folk should wait until the window is over on this one......if he is the only one we sign then ok, we could be in trouble.

If he’s signed as a cheap as chips 3rd option then I won’t lose any sleep.

colinmaroon
2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

The Club needs three keepers for the first team.  Whether this signing  is right or wrong will be proven next season as it can't be justified on his last few games.  I do seem to remember that he was well received early on by JKB.

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

However, the club are effectively in open conflict with the majority of fans who’s mind is made up. Every single thing is going to be scrutinised painfully

The club aren't in conflict with majority of fans. 

The club aren't listening to an extremely tiny minority, who scream and whine like little spoiled children, when it comes to playing decisions. 

Compared to number of fans who go to games, the number who post on here is very small percentage. Most go to games and stay well clear of this place. 

Saint Jambo
2 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Sample size isnt great though is it mate. Hard to make a judgement off of 13 shots faced.

So go through and analyse the goals. You'll find he was at fault against Raith (beaten at near post), fully at fault for one against East Fife (palmed ball from simple shot straight to attacked for tap in), partially at fault for other (stayed in his 6-yard box for one-on-one allowing player to pass it into the net), at fault for second against Brora (didn't deal with straight forward cross), at fault for one against Queen of the South (came far too far off his line too early allowing him to be lobbed).

At the same time, he hasn't made a save of note. We also know that Livi considered him their third choice. Enough evidence for me.

Hearts1975
2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

So you are getting upset over something that might not happen?

Keepers are a completely different prospect when it comes to development. You don’t chuck them on for half an hour here and there to give them a taste of the action.

Not getting upset - After seeing Stewart in goal I really don’t rate him as a keeper at all. He looks susceptible to cross balls and for me doesn’t inspire any confidence in the defence- just my own opinion - that’s my biggest issue with Neilson giving out a 2 year deal to him 

After seeing Stewart play I would bet my bottom dollar that HS could go into the 1st team immediately and be better than Stewart - you may disagree but I reckon he is a better keeper and that’s without any more loan time for him 

Stone should go out on loan but that doesn’t change the fact that Ross Stewart is absolutely shite. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

So go through and analyse the goals. You'll find he was at fault against Raith (beaten at near post), fully at fault for one against East Fife (palmed ball from simple shot straight to attacked for tap in), partially at fault for other (stayed in his 6-yard box for one-on-one allowing player to pass it into the net), at fault for second against Brora (didn't deal with straight forward cross), at fault for one against Queen of the South (came far too far off his line too early allowing him to be lobbed).

At the same time, he hasn't made a save of note. We also know that Livi considered him their third choice. Enough evidence for me.

Not saying he's Neuer like, but I'm not sure I'd be classing him as one of the worst Hearts keepers of all time based on 4 games. Backup goalie anyway so more important that he is good about the dressing room and understands and accepts that he wont play.

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Not getting upset - After seeing Stewart in goal I really don’t rate him as a keeper at all. He looks susceptible to cross balls and for me doesn’t inspire any confidence in the defence- just my own opinion - that’s my biggest issue with Neilson giving out a 2 year deal to him 

After seeing Stewart play I would bet my bottom dollar that HS could go into the 1st team immediately and be better than Stewart - you may disagree but I reckon he is a better keeper and that’s without any more loan time for him 

Thats not the debate though. HS I’m sure is the better keeper, certainly has more potential based on what I’ve heard/read/seen clips. I’ve never watched either of them in the flesh.

The point is with Craig Gordon comfortably no 1 there’s no point in having HS sitting here on the bench doing nothing every week.

They’ll just put a recall clause in the loan agreement if anything was to happen to Craig and keep him out of action for more than a couple of games. 

The Hogfather
16 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

We would have been better off just offering Zamal a new deal if we're going to waste wages on guys like this.  Stewart is a truly honking goalkeeper.  He has looked every bit as bad as Kurkis in his brief performances. 

I imagine the reasons for not doing just that boil down to 1) Zlamal presumably being on a lot more money than Stewart is and 2) Zlamal might not want to sit around any longer, knowing full well he's getting nowhere near the first team.

And anyone who thinks he's as bad as Kurskis was never saw Kurskis play.

Hearts1975
4 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

The Club needs three keepers for the first team.  Whether this signing  is right or wrong will be proven next season as it can't be justified on his last few games.  I do seem to remember that he was well received early on by JKB.

He was well received but I think it was more to do with his attitude in and around the dressing room ? Think CG referenced as such. However the keeper is a vital position - I hope CG stays fit as I would be a bit nervous if we play RS. 

lost in space

Just in case ANYBODY was starting to think that maybe Neilson wasnt so bad (I wasnt thinking this!) - along comes another ridiculous decision.

As for the "fans" on here giving excuses like "small wage" - take a step back and ask yourself why would anyone sign this guy + what if Gordon gets injured?????

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The club aren't listening to an extremely tiny minority, who scream and whine like little spoiled children, when it comes to playing decisions. 

Compared to number of fans who go to games, the number who post on here is very small percentage. Most go to games and stay well clear of this place. 

It was only a couple of years ago the suggestion is this forum was full of happy clappers 😂 

Whether they post on here or do not - there is a clear majority of hearts fans who want Neilson gone or who do not believe he is the right man - at best he is tolerated rather than supported. 

Those who genuinely want him to stay becuase they believe he is the right man are a tiny minority

Edited by kingantti1874

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Stone should go out on loan but that doesn’t change the fact that Ross Stewart is absolutely shite. 

Hopefully, as a club we are moving on from expensive shite to cheap shite. Progress 😀

Mars plastic
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Quality postage in the shed, dreadful in here. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hopefully, as a club we are moving on from expensive shite to cheap shite. Progress 😀

I was actually going to make a joke about bringing the hologram back. Then I got a PTSD flashback and deleted it. 

Jambo in Bathgate
41 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's the same mentalists all the time. 

There's fickle and there's just plain bonkers. 

He's great, he's shit, great again. Shit 

2nd/3rd choice keeper - ahhhhh, he's shit. 

Logan is the best tho. Posters moaning about signing him, Aberdeen reject etc, we need to be giving yoof a chance... Then why we releasing him as Robbie talks about signing younger players. 

😂😂😂😂

Folk just trying to out seethe each other. 

Another one that has the irony meter flying into orbit is-

I'm not renewing/ holding it back , I'm giving up my foh... Then moan about the quality of the signings. 

Get tae bed

Absolute  jokers. 

There is no way that Hearts can afford two top class keepers. Look at Rangers they must be paying a fortune for McGregor and McLaughlin. We need someone who is prepared to play in the occasional game. That is not easy to find. Stone is being developed to take over from Craig Gordon. I’m sure that will happen after next season. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
7 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

He was well received but I think it was more to do with his attitude in and around the dressing room ? Think CG referenced as such. However the keeper is a vital position - I hope CG stays fit as I would be a bit nervous if we play RS. 

Think you've got it there. Should Craig get injured, we either sign his replacement on loan or Harry Stone gets the opportunity. There is no way Ross Stewart plays an extended number of games.

Hearts1975
6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Thats not the debate though. HS I’m sure is the better keeper, certainly has more potential based on what I’ve heard/read/seen clips. I’ve never watched either of them in the flesh.

The point is with Craig Gordon comfortably no 1 there’s no point in having HS sitting here on the bench doing nothing every week.

They’ll just put a recall clause in the loan agreement if anything was to happen to Craig and keep him out of action for more than a couple of games. 

Hopefully Neilson takes ur advice 👍 I just don’t think RS is good enough to be in the first team - regardless of the circumstances 

9 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Did he not have a decent league cup game or friendly game. I'm almost sure we were talking about an actual performance when he done ok.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

There is no logic at all in releasing a right back who was doing a good job, to return the man who was doing a bad job to that position and then to sogn a keeper who is not better than the other 2 very poor keepers we already have on our books!  Bring in Harry Stone and aim to give him 10/12 games across all competitions - let him train every day with one of the best keepers in Scottish history. 

that aside, i and many others told you weeks ago that the dislike and lack of trust in Robbie Neilson will mean an emotional reaction to everything.  He isn’t going to get any slack whatsoever at any point even if he makes great decisions. If another manager theoretically made these decision there would be a bit of a WTF moment and then it would move on. 

Tbh,If you and others are having an emotional reaction to everything the problem is yours.