Chris Brookmyre knows...

King Of The Cat Cafe

King Of The Cat Cafe

Just a little detail from "The Cut", the latest brilliant novel from Chris Brookmyre - showing that a phrase we know so well has now gone mainstream:

P1020406.JPG

Fitzroy Pointon

Irvine Welsh will need to write a new book now mentioning "sparryhieds" (whatever the **** that is) to even things out. 

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Irvine Welsh will need to write a new book now mentioning "sparryhieds" (whatever the **** that is) to even things out. 

Brainspotting?

😳

Fitzroy Pointon
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Brainspotting?

😳

It was the Acid House I think. 

2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

It was the Acid House I think. 

I was suggesting a name for his new book.  😀

The Tackle

Good author and confirmed to me in person that everyone at the Evening News was celebrating not having to print Hearts League winners in 86. I was only 4 so it didn't bother me so much. 

He also takes the piss out of Hearts in other books. I remember a reference about the worst thing is getting stuck with a Hearts fan at a dinner party as they don’t stop going on about 86. 

Shanks said no
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He also takes the piss out of Hearts in other books. I remember a reference about the worst thing is getting stuck with a Hearts fan at a dinner party as they don’t stop going on about 86. 

Maybe because he supports a team infamous for lying down. 

7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

👍

1 hour ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Just a little detail from "The Cut", the latest brilliant novel from Chris Brookmyre - showing that a phrase we know so well has now gone mainstream:

P1020406.JPG

:rofl:

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well, tbf...😄

41 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Good author and confirmed to me in person that everyone at the Evening News was celebrating not having to print Hearts League winners in 86. I was only 4 so it didn't bother me so much. 

No surprise.

Hibs supporting rag in the 1970's right up until I last bought a copy the Monday after the 2012 final.

That must have tortured them.

Glad John Gibson lived long enough to witness 5-1.

No Idle Talk

It is definitely a thing. I know quite a few people(non Jambos) that use that phrase. 😀

GlasgoJambo
25 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

It is definitely a thing. I know quite a few people(non Jambos) that use that phrase. 😀

Was speaking to one of the other parents at my boys primary and he used the term when we started talking about football; Aberdeen fan who lives in Glasgow Southside. 
What a joy this is becoming a thing :lolderwood:

Edited by GlasgoJambo
Spelling!

:robbo:‘he knew he had hibsed it.

I’m looking forward to the day when the little red dots don’t appear under the word hibsed, it will mean it’s universally accepted.:jj:

Tokyo Drifter
17 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

P1020406.JPG

First use in literature?

20 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

tenor.gif

20 hours ago, Tazio said:

He does, but the disdain he has for Celtic and Rangers is particularly evident. One of his earlier characters Inspector Hector McGregor was a Hibby,

Weakened Offender

Haven't read any of his new stuff but his earlier books are great fun. One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night is a hilarious romp. 

He's had plenty pops at Hearts in his books too, including an amusing and quite detailed  pop at the CSF. 

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Haven't read any of his new stuff but his earlier books are great fun. One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night is a hilarious romp. 

He's had plenty pops at Hearts in his books too, including an amusing and quite detailed  pop at the CSF. 

Agreed. As an aside, that also got me my first time of hands up a girls top so it has a special place in my heart. 

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, trotter said:

Agreed. As an aside, that also got me my first time of hands up a girls top so it has a special place in my heart. 

That's beautiful

29 minutes ago, trotter said:

Was your book up there? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Can they Hibs 3rd and the cup, would be mild entertainment to finish the season 

• 3 months later...
On 03/05/2021 at 13:26, JWL said:

He does, but the disdain he has for Celtic and Rangers is particularly evident. One of his earlier characters Inspector Hector McGregor was a Hibby,

He also had a black Catholic character who was a Rangers fan because of the racist abuse at school. 

On 02/05/2021 at 21:48, No Idle Talk said:

I often use that word in conversation with my customers in the US.  I've explained to them what it means and I'm hoping it catches on with them.

On 02/05/2021 at 16:15, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

P1020406.JPG

FF24CAE6-33C0-49F2-BC5E-5BA092AF89FE.gif.147470cd60e5e873182a9f7e34c6105d.gif

8 hours ago, south morroccan said:

If the internet recognised Scots as a language then we'd have...

English- Spurs'd it

Scots- Hibs'd it

Surely for England it is now Arse'd it?

My step-son is a massive Hibby (what you gonna do 🤷‍♂️ he was indoctrinated before I could intervene!) and he uses the term “Hibsed it” on a regular basis and that should be the aim - to have them embrace within their vocabulary their multifarious failings 😂

So I would say part of my indoctrination has worked! 
As an aside apart from the obvious he’s a great kid. 

scott herbertson

He’s a good read. He appeared in my library discussing his last book ( well, next to it) with fellow author Linda Cracknell as part of our Birnam Book Festival last year. If I had known he was planning to make this literary confirmation of Hibs uselessness I would have asked him a leading question or two.

Anyone who enjoys his books might like this session (the interview lasts an hour)

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=3075514509207186&_rdr

11 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

He also had a black Catholic character who was a Rangers fan because of the racist abuse at school. 

Angelique De Xavier. Actually just read a short story of his 'Last siege of Bothwell Castle', funny wee read.

51 minutes ago, Clear few said:

My step-son is a massive Hibby (what you gonna do 🤷‍♂️ he was indoctrinated before I could intervene!) and he uses the term “Hibsed it” on a regular basis and that should be the aim - to have them embrace within their vocabulary their multifarious failings 😂

So I would say part of my indoctrination has worked! 
As an aside apart from the obvious he’s a great kid. 

Just play the long game and several years down the line, indoctrinate the grandkids !!

Edited by David McCaig

2 hours ago, JWL said:

Angelique De Xavier. Actually just read a short story of his 'Last siege of Bothwell Castle', funny wee read.

That's the one. All his books are good.

50 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

That's the one. All his books are good.

I saw him do an unpublished piece about a school trip to watch A Midsummer's Night Dream. Wish I could remember more of it but it was superb.

59 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

That's the one. All his books are good

I've not read The Cut yet, which the "hibsed it" quote is from, but I will get around to it as have read most of his other books and enjoyed them all. My favourite still has to be One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night, which is laugh out loud hilarious.

Guest ToqueJambo

Superb. Well played everyone on here for getting this into popular culture. Special mention to Hibs.

Do we know when the first mention of Hibsed it was?

Brookmyre's OK for a St Mirren fan. His early books are just mental, but highly entertaining if you like a bit of carnage and anti-Thatcher rants.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
On 02/05/2021 at 09:07, Tazio said:

Quite right too - it's every Jambo's duty to remind St Mirren fans of what their club did that day. Of course St Mirren fans never stop going on about us going on about it either.

Edited by ToqueJambo