Windscreen repair

iantjambo

Just noticed that I’ve got a small chip on my windscreen. Where is the best/cheapest place to get it repaired?

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

Check your insurance. Windscreen repairs are free with a lot of insurers and there's usually no excess.

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Check your insurance. Windscreen repairs are free with a lot of insurers and there's usually no excess.

Cheers

It’s not been there long and not covered by insurance.

I’ve got someone calling from Autoglass in an hour or so.

The chip is smaller than a match head and according to their website it doesn’t need repaired.

I’ll wait and see what they say.

I had autoglass "fix" mine a couple of years back. I'm not sure what I thought it would look like but I can say that I didn't expect that it would look just like I'd filled it in with superglue. I'd have been happier if I'd had a huge crack on the window and had needed the whole thing replaced. 

Autoglass phoned me. After taking very little information, the woman at the other end decided that the whole windscreen would need replaced at a cost of £795!

They can **** right off.

Why don't you get it added to your insurance, wait a couple of weeks then phone to call to say it's been chipped...

16 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Autoglass phoned me. After taking very little information, the woman at the other end decided that the whole windscreen would need replaced at a cost of £795!

They can **** right off.

Can they not just send someone round to inject some of their special resin into your crack?

They might also be able to fix your windscreen.

26 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Can they not just send someone round to inject some of their special resin into your crack?

They might also be able to fix your windscreen.

If they can do it a lot cheaper they can inject what they want into my crack 😁

I quite happily drove a car with a couple of windscreen chips for years including several MOTs as the chips weren’t in the eye line for driving. A laminated windscreen won’t shatter but if it develops into a crack it will need replaced. 

5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I had autoglass "fix" mine a couple of years back. I'm not sure what I thought it would look like but I can say that I didn't expect that it would look just like I'd filled it in with superglue. I'd have been happier if I'd had a huge crack on the window and had needed the whole thing replaced. 

Mines got fixed about a year ago. Can still see the wee mark where it was but it's nto developed into anything bigger either which is the point. Would be impressive if they could fix it so that the crack or ship is invisible but for £10 i paid I was happy.

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

They can **** right off.

If it's as small as what you have said then she is at it. Where is it on the windscreen? Surprised your insurance doesn't cover it as I though almost all did these days. My windscreen excess is £10 for autoglass chip repair and £75 for a full replacement. Neither affect No Claims.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Mines got fixed about a year ago. Can still see the wee mark where it was but it's nto developed into anything bigger either which is the point. Would be impressive if they could fix it so that the crack or ship is invisible but for £10 i paid I was happy.

If it's as small as what you have said then she is at it. Where is it on the windscreen? Surprised your insurance doesn't cover it as I though almost all did these days. My windscreen excess is £10 for autoglass chip repair and £75 for a full replacement. Neither affect No Claims.

Near the bottom right corner. I might give the repair kit a go.

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Near the bottom right corner. I might give the repair kit a go.

Assume you have watched this? 

If you have insurance with glass cover
Your existing windscreen can be repaired In most cases, you will only need to cover your excess and it won't reduce your no claims bonus.
Your existing windscreen needs to be replaced This will usually be covered by your insurance company. You will have to pay your insurance excess (as detailed in your policy) but it normally won't reduce your no claims bonus.
If you have insurance without glass cover
Your existing windscreen can be repaired A single chip repair will cost you £189.44 inc. VAT. We're happy to give you a quote for any additional repairs.
Your existing windscreen needs to be replaced This will depend upon the type of windscreen that needs replacing.

Edited by hughesie27

7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Assume you have watched this? 

If you have insurance with glass cover
Your existing windscreen can be repaired In most cases, you will only need to cover your excess and it won't reduce your no claims bonus.
Your existing windscreen needs to be replaced This will usually be covered by your insurance company. You will have to pay your insurance excess (as detailed in your policy) but it normally won't reduce your no claims bonus.
If you have insurance without glass cover
Your existing windscreen can be repaired A single chip repair will cost you £189.44 inc. VAT. We're happy to give you a quote for any additional repairs.
Your existing windscreen needs to be replaced This will depend upon the type of windscreen that needs replacing.

Cheers for that. Going by the video, the damage should hopefully be repairable 🤞🏻

3 hours ago, stu said:

Why don't you get it added to your insurance, wait a couple of weeks then phone to call to say it's been chipped...

Because that's fraud

Windscreen definitely needs replaced. Got it booked in at a cost of £285.

£500 cheaper than those dodgy ***** at Autoglass.

15 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Windscreen definitely needs replaced. Got it booked in at a cost of £285.

£500 cheaper than those dodgy ***** at Autoglass.

Fancy uploading a pic?

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Fancy uploading a pic?

I’ll get one when I go back out. The crack has got significantly worse though. 

17 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

That's just it, it doesn't strengthen it any despite what they might tell you. It would still be the same size if you'd left it alone.

6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

That's just it, it doesn't strengthen it any despite what they might tell you. It would still be the same size if you'd left it alone.

I'm no sure of the ins and outs of it but as I understand it it prevents ice from forming in the cracks, which expands and can lead to larger cracks and more costly repairs. 

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm no sure of the ins and outs of it but as I understand it it prevents ice from forming in the cracks, which expands and can lead to larger cracks and more costly repairs. 

Correct, it keeps water out of the chip.

Edited by Gulpener

Harry Potter
20 hours ago, iantjambo said:

They can **** right off.

I replaced my Mondeo windscreen last year, 150 poonds, 4 inch crack , no chance to repair.

29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Well aye it will do that if it's a crack. Won't make a difference to a chip though. 

59 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Well aye it will do that if it's a crack. Won't make a difference to a chip though. 

Why not? My windscreen was a chip from a bullet stone chucked up from a car infront of me on the bypass. Dull mark where it was but totally smooth to touch.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Why not? My windscreen was a chip from a bullet stone chucked up from a car infront of me on the bypass. Dull mark where it was but totally smooth to touch.

In a smooth chip like I have on my windscreen there are no cracks for ice to get into and expand. Freezing water in that chip wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the window in general. Having mine "repaired" has made zero difference other than leveling off the damaged area with the rest of the window.