Police must change

Sharpie

otterjohn
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Police should look very intimidating. They've a job to do and these wee dwarfs couldn't keep hens oot a midden. 

Bring back the height restriction. 

Oh and get the lads from the military, once they leave, straight in a job. 

That would do for a start.Im fed up watching how lawless countries have become.There has always been a rogue policeman or two but in the main they do a great and thankless job and deserve far more respect and support.

• 1 month later...

PC Benjamin Monk has been found guilty of manslaughter in the case of Dalian Atkinson.

PC Monk discharged a taser into Atkinson for 33 seconds then kicked and stamped on his head as he lay unconscious.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

PC Benjamin Monk has been found guilty of manslaughter in the case of Dalian Atkinson.

PC Monk discharged a taser into Atkinson for 33 seconds then kicked and stamped on his head as he lay unconscious.

I would suggest he got off light.

Governor Tarkin
On 04/05/2021 at 23:56, Cade said:

Police should not be kicking people in the head and stamping on them.

Ever.

Disagree. 

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Disagree. 

Good for the soul. Sorry sole, it breaks it in, and makes the boots more comfortable. 

Edited by ri Alban

Peakybunnet

He went over the top.  Feel sorry for the female officer who was dragged down with him. He not only tool advantage of her but could have got her put in the jail.  

I have been really angry at many aggressive persons I have arrested, I have also had my share of those who were just extremely annoying, and I have been seething angry, but the difference between what I done as opposed to what I could have done is an ability to reason, and judge not, lest you be judged. I can see absolutely no reason at any time to stomp on an individuals face when he is down and totally vulnerable, and if you think you would ,take a minute and sit down and look in a mirror and ask yourself who you are. I do and other than seeing a really old fart, have no negative opinions of myself.

Edited by Sharpie

The policing of the Sarah Everard vigil in London and “kill the bill” demonstrations in Bristol breached fundamental rights to protest and involved unnecessary and disproportionate use of force, a parliamentary inquiry has found.

Multiple failings were committed by the Metropolitan police service (MPS) and Avon and Somerset constabulary (A&SC), including wrongly applying the lockdown regulations and failing to understand their legal duty to facilitate peaceful protest, the all-party parliamentary group on democracy and the constitution (APPGDC) found.

Forces failed to distinguish between violent and peaceful protesters and appears to have used excessive force against peaceful protesters, “including the use of dogs, beating with batons, and ‘blading’ with riot shields protesters who were on the ground”.

https://www.icdr.co.uk/bristol-clapham-inquiry-home

Policing it seems internationally has become something that is for the want of a better description extreme. The States is just awful, in my day you went and sat an exam, then you were interviewed, you provided references, work and military information, and a Chief Superintendent and an Inspector made the decision. Two years probation and Inspectors, sergeants, and even colleagues adjudged you. Total errors in hiring we made but was minimal.

Now they have medicals, written exams, polygraphs, psychological examinations,  interviews, and I am sure some and other aids since I retired, and yet there seems to be more policeman with serious mental, cruelty, and criminal tendencies than there ever were. After thirty six years in a career, it is sad in some way to maintain your pride in your service and the colleagues with whom you served, to be associated in any manner with the characters who now use the title police officer and demean that title almost on a daily basis.

John Findlay
6 hours ago, Cade said:

The policing of the Sarah Everard vigil in London and “kill the bill” demonstrations in Bristol breached fundamental rights to protest and involved unnecessary and disproportionate use of force, a parliamentary inquiry has found.

Multiple failings were committed by the Metropolitan police service (MPS) and Avon and Somerset constabulary (A&SC), including wrongly applying the lockdown regulations and failing to understand their legal duty to facilitate peaceful protest, the all-party parliamentary group on democracy and the constitution (APPGDC) found.

Forces failed to distinguish between violent and peaceful protesters and appears to have used excessive force against peaceful protesters, “including the use of dogs, beating with batons, and ‘blading’ with riot shields protesters who were on the ground”.

https://www.icdr.co.uk/bristol-clapham-inquiry-home

We get it. You dont like the police.

I don't like it when they beat or kill innocent civilians.

I like it when they keep people safe at public events.

I like it when they catch robbers.

I like it when they catch murderers.

I like it when they catch people who have committed assault.

I like it when they catch fraudsters.

I like the work they do.

I just don't like it when they beat or kill innocent civilians or frame people or harass people or cover things up.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

I don't like it when they beat or kill innocent civilians.

I like it when they keep people safe at public events.

I like it when they catch robbers.

I like it when they catch murderers.

I like it when they catch people who have committed assault.

I like it when they catch fraudsters.

I like the work they do.

I just don't like it when they beat or kill innocent civilians or frame people or harass people or cover things up.

I liked when they done those good things by working a beat, walking around their area of responsibility, getting to know their community. I liked it when they got to know the kids, watched them grow and become nice young men, I liked it when on a Friday Saturday night you fought outside a pub and on Monday you  saw them gathered after their Court appearance, and you walked right close and passed them, and they showed respect by not interfering with you in any way. I liked how when chasing two after they had committed a crime, and in the pursuit you fell from a piece of high ground and they came back and offered you assistance with the comment, "are you awright polis" and with the yes in verification took off running unpursued. But, what I liked no longer matters, there are new people working the system their way, probably shaking their cumulative heads in dismay how it was done, and patting themselves on the back at how modernised and financially better off the system is, that is what is deemed progress.

10 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I liked when they done those good things by working a beat, walking around their area of responsibility, getting to know their community. I liked it when they got to know the kids, watched them grow and become nice young men, I liked it when on a Friday Saturday night you fought outside a pub and on Monday you  saw them gathered after their Court appearance, and you walked right close and passed them, and they showed respect by not interfering with you in any way. I liked how when chasing two after they had committed a crime, and in the pursuit you fell from a piece of high ground and they came back and offered you assistance with the comment, "are you awright polis" and with the yes in verification took off running unpursued. But, what I liked no longer matters, there are new people working the system their way, probably shaking their cumulative heads in dismay how it was done, and patting themselves on the back at how modernised and financially better off the system is, that is what is deemed progress.

Maybe the things that you liked such as respect, continuity, knowing your area, making 'your' folk feel safer can't be measured on a balance sheet. And that's why they're now not given the importance that they should have.