***Official I hate Greenock Morton v Hearts Thread ***

Baxfee

4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

So players who have done nothing all their working lives bar kick a football can't play because of a bump in the pitch? These are international quality players who should have sufficient pride in what they do, to go out and at least try. Anyone claiming it was all down to the pitch that these players can't control a five yard pass is deluded.

No matter the league was won, the manager said he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory yet they had one shot on target in 90 minutes playing a team second bottom of the Championship.

It like Alex Higgins ( showing my age there ) being beaten by a club player at snooker, it just doesn't happen.

Can you imagine Andre Agassi losing to a player from Mortonhall tennis club in the singles finals at Wimbledon? 

It's a bit like driving really. I was always taught to drive according to the road conditions.  Last night wasn't the first time we've played  on that surface at Cappielow, so the coaching staff should have taken the fact that the surface would be poor  into consideration when setting up how we play.  It's a horses for courses situation, so no point in trying to play a passing game on a pitch like a ploughed field.  My heart was in my mouth a couple of times when we started playing the ball back and forward in front of our own box, with their forwards pressing and the ball took a bobble . It's the managers job to be able to change how we play according to different conditions. That's fairly basic stuff TBH - We have arguably the best squad in the division and should be able to pick the best players for the job at hand.   

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• JDHMFC

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

27 minutes ago, Firefox said:

It's a bit like driving really. I was always taught to drive according to the road conditions.  Last night wasn't the first time we've played  on that surface at Cappielow, so the coaching staff should have taken the fact that the surface would be poor  into consideration when setting up how we play.  It's a horses for courses situation, so no point in trying to play a passing game on a pitch like a ploughed field.  My heart was in my mouth a couple of times when we started playing the ball back and forward in front of our own box, with their forwards pressing and the ball took a bobble . It's the managers job to be able to change how we play according to different conditions. That's fairly basic stuff TBH - We have arguably the best squad in the division and should be able to pick the best players for the job at hand.   

He knew what we were facing last night but he doesn't know who we are facing in the last game of the season. What a clown!

“It was difficult to get any real quality and we knew that coming down here.

“But, we have Inverness at Tynecastle and then Dundee so they will be two good surfaces."

Malinga the Swinga
12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

****ing hell I didn't even know we had a game last night :lol: I am an absolute pub standard fan 

You can barely call yourself a fan at all. 

davemclaren
45 minutes ago, iainmac said:

He knew what we were facing last night but he doesn't know who we are facing in the last game of the season. What a clown!

“It was difficult to get any real quality and we knew that coming down here.

“But, we have Inverness at Tynecastle and then Dundee so they will be two good surfaces."

Doesn’t surprise me to be honest. 😄

I once bumped into Henry Smith  in the bar at a caravan park in Dunkeld hours after losing ( iirc ) a bottom of the table clash with Dundee and I had to tell Henry what position in the the table we were after the result. 🤔

On 20/04/2021 at 19:12, Boof said:

"This pitch was shite."

Robbie Neilson, 2100

Haven't seen the post-match comments.

He didn't really say that...did he?

The next Official Match Thread title should have the word blip in it.

As experts say, the first step in recovering from a problem like alcoholism is recognising it.

We continue to play this possession, no risk, walking football that does not work, the number of times the ball ends up with Craig Gordon from attacking positions is incredible, and was there for all to see against 'MORTON ffs'. I can already hear the booing from the terraces next season. This has been going on for years and the only interruption we have had from this 'style' was briefly under Stendel, who I suspect was not interested in all the state of the art performance monitoring and possession based stats, crap that was supposed to put us ahead of the rest. We will never know how DS would have worked out longer term, it does not matter, but he did show us where the problems lie. We are closer to Elgin City and trying to be Man City. Football is a simple game, it is about players not laptops and imposters calling themselves coaches. I have no doubt any Sunday league manager would be doing better with these players. Recruit and produce the best you can afford. If you have players that know their job, get them fit and let them play.

17 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

We continue to play this possession, no risk, walking football that does not work, the number of times the ball ends up with Craig Gordon from attacking positions is incredible, and was there for all to see against 'MORTON ffs'. I can already hear the booing from the terraces next season. This has been going on for years and the only interruption we have had from this 'style' was briefly under Stendel, who I suspect was not interested in all the state of the art performance monitoring and possession based stats, crap that was supposed to put us ahead of the rest. We will never know how DS would have worked out longer term, it does not matter, but he did show us where the problems lie. We are closer to Elgin City and trying to be Man City. Football is a simple game, it is about players not laptops and imposters calling themselves coaches. I have no doubt any Sunday league manager would be doing better with these players. Recruit and produce the best you can afford. If you have players that know their job, get them fit and let them play.

Your first line is why Neilson is toast and no coming back.

Even if (and it would be a miracle if he did) change to a more direct, front foot style, first time we did end up going back to Gordon from a decent forward position, even if say late first half, the (online) booing would start immediately.

Starting to like Darryl Broadfoot's perception v. reality line.

Of course just now, the reality is that your first line is correct.

Japan Jambo
20 hours ago, iainmac said:

We "needed a result" against Brora & Alloa in the cups.

Was it the pitch again?

think he blamed the ref for Brora but to be honest I've lost track when it comes to the Robbie bullshit bingo...

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

think he blamed the ref for Brora but to be honest I've lost track when it comes to the Robbie bullshit bingo...

He tried to "get involved" with the ref at Brora in the last 10 minutes when it was evident that we were going out but he failed.

IIRC he blamed last season's unfair demotion for that one.

20 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

So players who have done nothing all their working lives bar kick a football can't play because of a bump in the pitch? These are international quality players who should have sufficient pride in what they do, to go out and at least try. Anyone claiming it was all down to the pitch that these players can't control a five yard pass is deluded.

No matter the league was won, the manager said he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory yet they had one shot on target in 90 minutes playing a team second bottom of the Championship.

It like Alex Higgins ( showing my age there ) being beaten by a club player at snooker, it just doesn't happen.

Can you imagine Andre Agassi losing to a player from Mortonhall tennis club in the singles finals at Wimbledon? 

In reply to the bit in bold ☝:- Yes I can!!! 🤭😀🙃😉😎

20210422_110047.jpg

20210422_110426.jpg

20210422_110452.jpg

20210422_110530.jpg

20210422_110609.jpg

20210422_110629.jpg

20210422_110713.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey

4 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

When Smith bombed up the left, we at least got a throw-in for his effort. That was about mid-way into Morton's half. Where did the ball end up? Yup, all the way  back to Craig Gordon. I think that's when I exited the room to concentrate on the pies, beans, and chips. 😒

4 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

I'm no tactician and a lot of stuff that happens on the park passes me by.  But the 'system' that we use requires two things: the ball to be moved quickly and for players to make themselves available.  We fall down on both counts.