Season 2015/16. Robbie's start.

Smoked-Glass

Smoked-Glass

That year we got off to a flyer and only lost one game after getting someone sent off from a winning position. 

100% record to start the season and with Robbie in charge too, oh and after just pissing the championship with rangers n hubs in it. 

Robbie is not that bad eh. 

Juanma looked great. 

He was an excellent finisher but he seemed like a prick with his diving and play acting. 

He also didn't seem to understand the offside rule. 😆

Fozzyonthefence

Mind Levein’s first spell as manager was good too.  Counted for nothing second time round. 

2015 was 6 years ago, not really sure what your point is?

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Silvery_Moon

We beat Motherwell 6-0 in January that season and all looked great. 

3 weeks later we played Hibs in the cup and it's fair to say things changed from that moment on. 

The next season started well enough in the league but another cup capitulation to Saint Johnstone as well as the Birkakara European disaster had an already frustrated fan base becoming more discontent. 

Many of us, myself included were not upset at all when he left. 

If he stays next season we may do better in the league than some expect but expect more Cup failures at the first or second attempt. 

St Johnstone game was a cracker, but his overthinking almost sabotaged the start to that season. The masterstoke of playing Ozturk as a sitting midfielder at Dens to combat a guy (Hemmings, I think) who didn’t even play. Should have been 3-0 down at halftime. The next 3 games were a sound 2-0 over Motherwell (h), holding on for an unconvincing last hour against Ross County (a) after being two up inside 15 minutes and a 3-0 thrashing of Patrick (h). 
Three times that season (including the start) we had similar runs against crap teams and won 4 in a row so we had it in us. Bizarrely, at no other time did we win two consecutive matches. 
I’m another who didn’t see it as any great loss when he left and was gobsmacked Ann Budge rehired him. 

51 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

St Johnstone game was a cracker, but his overthinking almost sabotaged the start to that season. The masterstoke of playing Ozturk as a sitting midfielder at Dens to combat a guy (Hemmings, I think) who didn’t even play. Should have been 3-0 down at halftime. The next 3 games were a sound 2-0 over Motherwell (h), holding on for an unconvincing last hour against Ross County (a) after being two up inside 15 minutes and a 3-0 thrashing of Patrick (h). 
Three times that season (including the start) we had similar runs against crap teams and won 4 in a row so we had it in us. Bizarrely, at no other time did we win two consecutive matches. 
I’m another who didn’t see it as any great loss when he left and was gobsmacked Ann Budge rehired him. 

It was a funny time wasn't it?

I just couldn't make my mind up. Like how can I not be happy romping the champ, then 3rd, then sitting in 2nd??? But I wasn't really.

Like, I wasn't moaning, I didn't want him gone, certainly not, but I think my overriding thing with Hearts is I don't want us to be cautious. Don't think it suits us, never has.

Had the feeling that due to his over thinking and caution, we'd never win when it mattered.

Look, we'd all take what Aberdeen have done the last 8 years but that's been their problem. Shat every real challenge.

So rather than want him out,  I wanted him to develop more confidence and a more dominant style.

A few years on, he hasn't, and has also had some highly unacceptable performances and results. I really don't think he's the man to take us forward.

Shame, I like Robbie. I'd genuinely love him to do it, but I think it'd be another setback risk to allow him time to try.

I will caveat that though and say he should only go with a well thought out replacement already tapped and lined up. I don't see the point in getting rid only to commence another drawn out recruitment process.

I'm genuinely optimistic about what Joe Savage can bring to our club. We can't waste that with poor, unprogressive coaching.

It’s amazing what skelping Alloa has achieved for Robbie.

He’ll need a good start next season to get more folk onside but I genuinely don’t think it’ll make that much difference to those in charge.

Not getting relegated will be enough

Midloth_Iain
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I just couldn't make my mind up. Like how can I not be happy romping the champ, then 3rd, then sitting in 2nd??? But I wasn't really.

Like, I wasn't moaning, I didn't want him gone, certainly not, but I think my overriding thing with Hearts is I don't want us to be cautious. Don't think it suits us, never has.

Had the feeling that due to his over thinking and caution, we'd never win when it mattered.

Look, we'd all take what Aberdeen have done the last 8 years but that's been their problem. Shat every real challenge.

So rather than want him out,  I wanted him to develop more confidence and a more dominant style.

A few years on, he hasn't, and has also had some highly unacceptable performances and results. I really don't think he's the man to take us forward.

Shame, I like Robbie. I'd genuinely love him to do it, but I think it'd be another setback risk to allow him time to try.

I will caveat that though and say he should only go with a well thought out replacement already tapped and lined up. I don't see the point in getting rid only to commence another drawn out recruitment process.

I'm genuinely optimistic about what Joe Savage can bring to our club. We can't waste that with poor, unprogressive coaching.

Excellent post.

My biggest concern is we dont seem to be building anything to look forward to.

Year after year, we rip most of it up and start again.

We need stability on the park and a clear plan of where we are heading. With Robbie I am not confident we can achieve this whilst at the same time eliminating the downright boring and turgid performances.

23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Exactly my feelings, his team selection and tactics just stunk of fear, we had no identity and just chopped and changed.  Results were good that first season but it was clear players started to lose trust in him, behind the scenes Levein was getting twitchy about not being in limelight and contracts situations got messy.

Its also got to be remembered bar Celtic and Aberdeen the standard of opposition was absolutely guff that season.

I'd love Robbie to do well ... but let's face it, he's not up to it ... too negative and cautious and too much tinkering. With our resources, we're unlikely to win the league ... but that shouldn't stop us having a go ... fortune favours the brave ?

Holyrood_Hearts
47 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I couldn’t put it better myself. 

3 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

I'd love Robbie to do well ... but let's face it, he's not up to it ... too negative and cautious and too much tinkering. With our resources, we're unlikely to win the league ... but that shouldn't stop us having a go ... fortune favours the brave ?

I’d settle for having a go in the cups. 

I know league position mattered this season more than most but in a league where 40% either go up or reach the playoffs there was a bit of a safety net, even if anything other than 1st would be considered failure. 

Prioritising the league as an excuse is pure bullshit where Brora is concerned as the league was won by the time we played them. Still not sure anyone will reach the 46 points we were on by that night. 

Edited by Shaggy2

Dusk_Till_Dawn

His first season was excellent. No-one would deny that. But it was six years ago and he’s shown himself to be a wank coach since then.

The end.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

rory Loy it was :lol:

think hemmings played and scored

he also lied to the press about oshaniwa not having a chance of making the team then playing him from the start - admitted after the game it was “mind games” - probably confirmation that Robbie was starting to see himself as the next Alex ferguson

we had some very decent players and the second half was as good as the first was bad with gomis outstanding (I didn’t think he was up to the premier league and still don’t despite his family bereavement but he was excellent that half) Juanma excellent and oshaniwa persistence leading to one of our goals - didn’t think he was as bad as made out but not good enough

most of the early good stuff was under the guidance of levein (before he went toxic) and with levein signings (before they went toxic) once neilson started to put his own stamp on things it started to go pear-shaped with a few notable exceptions like aberdeen cup-tie

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

His first season was excellent. No-one would deny that. But it was six years ago and he’s shown himself to be a wank coach since then.

The end.

:sweeet:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
21 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Juanma looked great. 

He was an excellent finisher but he seemed like a prick with his diving and play acting. 

He also didn't seem to understand the offside rule. 😆

one of a few very good players for our standard who had flaws that the plan was to develop

ozturk another prime example - 75% of his game excellent for our standard the other 25% no where near good enough but developable in theory

unfortunately we never managed to develop any of them bar arguably sow and they did a half-decent job for a short time then drifted away :(

Guest ToqueJambo
41 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

one of a few very good players for our standard who had flaws that the plan was to develop

ozturk another prime example - 75% of his game excellent for our standard the other 25% no where near good enough but developable in theory

unfortunately we never managed to develop any of them bar arguably sow and they did a half-decent job for a short time then drifted away :(

Ahem, as well as Sow - who didn't so much drift away as get sold for a million quid - didn't we develop Djoum and Souttar from that period into very good international footballers? Igor Rossi was an excellent signing, as was Bjorn Johnson the next season. Gomis, Pallardo and Bauben were all players who could be said to have "flaws" otherwise they wouldn't be with us—all very solid signings who delivered good value for money.

Neilson also found time to help youngsters kick on and continue their good development in the Championship. In 15/16 and 16/17 Nicolson, Walker and Paterson also emerged as three of the country's top young prospects - all 3 made the step up to the Premiership easily and were better than the last time they played in that league. Even more of a bit part player like Billy King stepped up to the Premiership again and was a very good impact sub.

Juanma was a waster but a strangely loveable one.

Edited by ToqueJambo

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ahem, as well as Sow - who didn't so much drift away as get sold for a million quid - didn't we develop Djoum and Souttar from that period into very good international footballers? Igor Rossi was an excellent signing, as was Bjorn Johnson the next season. Gomis, Pallardo and Bauben were all players who could be said to have "flaws" otherwise they wouldn't be with us—all very solid signings who delivered good value for money.

Neilson also found time to help youngsters kick on and continue their good development in the Championship. In 15/16 and 16/17 Nicolson, Walker and Paterson also emerged as three of the country's top young prospects - all 3 made the step up to the Premiership easily and were better than the last time they played in that league. Even more of a bit part player like Billy King stepped up to the Premiership again and was a very good impact sub.

Juanma was a waster but a strangely loveable one.

all these other guys you mentioned were fine signings up to a point but we didn’t really develop them or improve them

if you were at parkhead when djoum came off the bench to make his debut in a tense 0-0 game you’d know he was international class from the minute he walked on that park - think Robbie Ferguson rested him for the league cup tie at tynecastle a couple of games later which pretty much blew our best chance of winning - got brought on once we were beat and scored if I remember right - I reckon djoum regressed from being one of the best midfielders ive  seen at hearts to just decent player at the level during his time

again Rossi v good from day one and we sold the player the we bought albeit for good money - that made him a good signing not someone we particularly developed 

the young guys guys had already proved themselves under Locke they didn’t regress but it was no surprise to anyone with a clue that they did what they did - I know Paterson took stick from some but his physique (and attitude’ was the difference) so was always the one most likely to succeed at a higher level

souttar people always had varied opinions on - I thought he was hopeless under neilson but developed into a much better player later on - seemed to improve after his first major injury - came back bigger stronger etc and cut out lots of the errors (was a young player so to be expected)

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer
sow oversight 😃 plus removing any credit for neilson on souttar