The Masters 2021

Matsuyama has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons here. I’m starting to wish I’d gone each way on my bets. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

• Tazio

• kila

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s just the way it goes sometimes. Even when I eventually had the money to buy decent woods and irons I had a Hewson 3 wood in my back that was cheap as hell even before I’d found it in a charity shop as a teenager. It just seemed to work. I got my clubs stolen from the boot of my car and that was the annoying one as I knew it was irreplaceable.

Sponsorship usually dictates what model of clubs players use. It was part of the reasons which Rose left TM to join Honma (along with a lucrative package). He has since left Honma but doesn't have a deal for woods which frees him up to play whatever he chooses. 

When Nike pulled out of the equipment market a few years ago, a raft of their stable played with combo sets to suit their own needs. A lot of them opted for Mizuno ( Koepke, Reed, Molinari, Woods) and found great success. 

Victorian

Some going by Matsuyama and he's got it 75% won.  70 or 71 and nobody touches him.  MacIntyre enhancing his rep again.  Can't win but a great chance of a top 5.

merrymac
11 hours ago, Phage said:

Im not exactly to hot on the rules. But Speith there stopped on a drain and gets a drop within one club.

Drops it a few times and it rolls onto the drain and wood chips around etc. Then just places it nicely on the grass. Whats that about?

After 3 drops you just place it somewhere within the club length?

It probably rolled nearer the hole when he dropped it. You  get two tries and if it still does it , you get to place it where it hit the ground.

The Pro's are very smart with their drops. He would probably pick a spot where he knew it would roll forward and would get to place it.

37 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It probably rolled nearer the hole when he dropped it. You  get two tries and if it still does it , you get to place it where it hit the ground.

The Pro's are very smart with their drops. He would probably pick a spot where he knew it would roll forward and would get to place it.

Given it is now drops from knee height, it does seem a bit of a pointless routine most of the time. A drop nowadays should just be placed by default to speed up play.

merrymac
3 minutes ago, kila said:

Given it is now drops from knee height, it does seem a bit of a pointless routine most of the time. A drop nowadays should just be placed by default to speed up play.

In principle and regarding speed up I agree. However the drop is usually the result of a shot into a bad area, so allowing placement (and I can imagine how some of our members ball would end up, virtually on a tee), seems an over reward for poor play.

Malinga the Swinga

Would be nice if TV coverage could be extended to show more than the same 6 players all round. MacIntyre, Finau and others are almost invisible. 

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Would be nice if TV coverage could be extended to show more than the same 6 players all round. MacIntyre, Finau and others are almost invisible. 

Never seen MacIntyre hit a shot yet!

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I've partially gave up on the coverage (have it on in the background) so I use the official website.

You can click on any player and see all their shots

Victorian

I would love to know how the **** that Zalatoris generates his power.  He's a stick insect on a diet and it's only a 3/4 length backswing.

jonnothejambo
32 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I would love to know how the **** that Zalatoris generates his power.  He's a stick insect on a diet and it's only a 3/4 length backswing.

Timing and speed through the hitting area. 

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

And long levers. It’s physics. 

Victorian
11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Well yes.  But he has a less than complete backswing so he's not generating the optimum amount of clubhead speed from the swing.  He gets through the ball (don't they all) but nothing that fierce.  He doesn't rip right through and retains a lovely balance and tempo.  Powerful legs can generate power but he's a 6 foot tee peg.  He's a bit remarkable.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Well yes.  But he has a less than complete backswing so he's not generating the optimum amount of clubhead speed from the swing.  He gets through the ball (don't they all) but nothing that fierce.  He doesn't rip right through and retains a lovely balance and tempo.  Powerful legs can generate power but he's a 6 foot tee peg.  He's a bit remarkable.

I watched Charles Howell III at St George's yesterday ago and he's the same. 6 stone soaking wet and he was leathering the ball 

Victorian
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I watched Charles Howell III at St George's yesterday ago and he's the same. 6 stone soaking wet and he was leathering the ball 

Easy power coming from somewhere.  He reminds me of a lad at my club but he's ferocious through the hitting area.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Easy power coming from somewhere.  He reminds me of a lad at my club but he's ferocious through the hitting area.

Finau is another. No backswing and effortless power. 

I'm rearranging vertebrae to get it out there ☹

Victorian
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Finau is another. No backswing and effortless power. 

I'm rearranging vertebrae to get it out there ☹

Finau is amazing.  He's got a bit of beef about him though.  Amazing timing.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I’ve been watching the Amen corner coverage on Sky Sports App as it’s free then flipping over to the stream when that finishes. You get to see everyone for a few holes at least. 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My dad used to make me hit an old tyre with a club to strengthen my forearms, still the strongest part of my limbs. I was a long hitter in my youth, with an over swing but not much control

due to that. Mcilroy is currently trying to shorten his swing a bit to get better control. 
There’s various reasons why guys hit it far. 

https://theleftrough.com/golf-swing-speed/

Hopefully a leisurely watch this evening on the final day as I have £2 on Matsuyama @ 64/1 with Betfair.

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Hopefully a leisurely watch this evening on the final day as I have £2 on Matsuyama @ 64/1 with Betfair.

This is Sunday at the Masters

Funny things happen 

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This is Sunday at the Masters

Funny things happen 

Oh I know, fortunately I have back up in Spieth,Thomas,Shauffele if the shit hits the pan as back-up.

Matuyama playing par golf will win, IMO.

I think Matsuyama will drop some shots early on and it'll be wide open.

The trouble with just playing for par is you're still likely going to have some misses (because it is Sunday at Augusta) and will invite the field back. But then if you do attack and get bitten, you get bitten hard.

Augusta forecast shows winds gusting up to 28mph at the moment and easing as the afternoon goes on. Would rather the opposite!

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Oh I know, fortunately I have back up in Spieth,Thomas,Shauffele if the shit hits the pan as back-up.

Matuyama playing par golf will win, IMO.

cash out

Not a chance, I want to enjoy it, also the cash out is £70, GTF.

ri Alban
4 minutes ago, kila said:

I think Matsuyama will drop some shots early on and it'll be wide open.

The trouble with just playing for par is you're still likely going to have some misses (because it is Sunday at Augusta) and will invite the field back. But then if you do attack and get bitten, you get bitten hard.

Augusta forecast shows winds gusting up to 28mph at the moment and easing as the afternoon goes on. Would rather the opposite!

Matsuyama will shite the bed. Xander will win, but I hope Rose wins. 

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I reckon -9 will win it and Spieth will nab it

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aw FFS don’t tip Xander please. I’ve got cash on him and your hugely confident predictions have a habit of going wildly wrong. 😀

Victorian

What usually puts a bit of pressure on a leader with a lead of a few shots is the slightly ironic situation of rivals in the groups preceeding him having the advantage of the opportunity to get birdies on the board before the leader.  This could occur today because they're quite bunched in the groups before the final group.  1 of about 6 or so gets 2 or 3 under thru the first 6 or 7 and Matsuyama maybe stays level or goes +1.  

Keep an eye on Speith and his odds look eye catching at 16/1 for e/w 1-2-3. 

Edited by Victorian
19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cheers mate, but I will not hold it against you when my Japanese friend puts on his green jacket as the Masters winner.

Edited by Jamdub
ri Alban
12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Aw FFS don’t tip Xander please. I’ve got cash on him and your hugely confident predictions have a habit of going wildly wrong. 😀

My predictions are usually spot on. 

ri Alban
4 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Cheers mate, but I will not hold it against you when my Japanese friend puts on his green jacket as the Masters winner.

Good luck to him. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Anybody but Speith please. 

That’s more like it, I’ve got money on him as well. Xander is my preferred option though as I got him at 22/1. 

ri Alban
Just now, Tazio said:

That’s more like it, I’ve got money on him as well. Xander is my preferred option though as I got him at 22/1. 

Good luck bud. 

£37.50 for any time now yesterday. Chuffed. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

:notsure:

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Victorian said:

Some going by Matsuyama and he's got it 75% won.  70 or 71 and nobody touches him.  MacIntyre enhancing his rep again.  Can't win but a great chance of a top 5.

75% is too generous. It's Sunday at Augusta and a bit of drama will rear its head very quickly. 

Can't see Matsuyama chucking that lead. He'll hit at least - 4 today if the greens are a bit soft. 

Matsuyama going to drop at least one on the first by the looks of it

Good start by Zalatoris though, seems fearless

1 minute ago, kila said:

Matsuyama going to drop at least one on the first by the looks of it

Good start by Zalatoris though, seems fearless

I was just about to post your 2nd sentence almost word for word. He might look like a stick insect but he seems to be suited to the course. 

I P Knightley

Big Zal posting a couple of birdies at 1 and 2 will give Matsu the jitters.

ri Alban
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Big Zal posting a couple of birdies at 1 and 2 will give Matsu the jitters.

He reminds of Langer. 

Sooperstar

Leishman is my only remaining chance and he is all over the place today. That last shot was magnificent though.

Victorian

Speith hasn't had the good start he needed.  He's out.  All in all a decent start for Matsuyama.  Doubt he'll be caught.