Jump to content

Meadows fightclub


The Frenchman Returns

Recommended Posts

Boy Daniel
6 hours ago, Cade said:

In a very large, open area such as The Meadows, mounted police makes sense for a number of reasons.

They are a very visible deterrent to bother.

They can get to trouble spots faster than foot patrols can.

They can spot trouble from a longer distance, being much higher up.

 

 

Sadly we don’t have a local mounted division anymore. 
My uncle who was the first ever mounted policeman in Edinburgh City Police would have sorted them out.
 

BB7D3619-8939-4D29-8797-4D51CC260440.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Governor Tarkin

    17

  • Cade

    9

  • JamesM48

    8

  • frankblack

    8

Sharpie
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Sadly we don’t have a local mounted division anymore. 
My uncle who was the first ever mounted policeman in Edinburgh City Police would have sorted them out.
 

BB7D3619-8939-4D29-8797-4D51CC260440.jpeg

 I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Sadly we don’t have a local mounted division anymore. 
My uncle who was the first ever mounted policeman in Edinburgh City Police would have sorted them out.
 

BB7D3619-8939-4D29-8797-4D51CC260440.jpeg

 

I mind the now banned poster Geoff the Mince getting his sunburnt head nibbled by a police horse during the withdrawal from a spot of pavement dancing with the cardboard terrorists.

 

Those gee gees really are magnificent beasts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Boy Daniel
27 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

 I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.


Two names I remember well, if my memory is correct my Uncle taught Tam to ride when he was assigned to the mounted division. The stables were in the Cowgate which was a place I used to get to sit on the horses. I often went to the Smithy at the junction on Captains Rd and Frogston Rd to see my Uncle Charlie and his horse Barney (He had an official name that  began with E designating he was an Edinburgh horse) as I lived in Gracemount which was handy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

I mind the now banned poster Geoff the Mince getting his sunburnt head nibbled by a police horse during the withdrawal from a spot of pavement dancing with the cardboard terrorists.

 

Those gee gees really are magnificent beasts.

I got sent flying by one of the big hairy shitebags going into the School End once. It got spooked by something and hit me with its massive horse arse. It was like getting hit by a car and pinged me off my feet and I landed about 10ft away. 
No apology from the person who was apparently in charge of it despite my barrage of bad language towards the horse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I got sent flying by one of the big hairy shitebags going into the School End once. It got spooked by something and hit me with its massive horse arse. It was like getting hit by a car and pinged me off my feet and I landed about 10ft away. 
No apology from the person who was apparently in charge of it despite my barrage of bad language towards the horse. 

 

You should've gotten on to one of those shyster lawyer companies for compo, Taz'.      :seething:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

You should've gotten on to one of those shyster lawyer companies for compo, Taz'.      :seething:

 

Well I had plenty witnesses. Most of them pissing themselves laughing at me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well I had plenty witnesses. Most of them pissing themselves laughing at me. 

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
FinnBarr Saunders
39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I got sent flying by one of the big hairy shitebags going into the School End once. It got spooked by something and hit me with its massive horse arse. It was like getting hit by a car and pinged me off my feet and I landed about 10ft away. 
No apology from the person who was apparently in charge of it despite my barrage of bad language towards the horse. 

 

My tall mate who was looking down at me and chatting as we followed 2 horses along Gorgie after a Celtic game turned round just as one stopped, lifted its tail and farted into his face/hair. He had long Dreadnought hair (if you get my gist), he was late to the Dreddy that night as he had to wash his hair 4 times before the smell vanished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

I mind the now banned poster Geoff the Mince getting his sunburnt head nibbled by a police horse during the withdrawal from a spot of pavement dancing with the cardboard terrorists.

 

Those gee gees really are magnificent beasts.

Geoff?  Tennis Geoff?

 

He had a great night on here after the Celtic cup final.  😀😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Geoff?  Tennis Geoff?

 

He had a great night on here after the Celtic cup final.  😀😀

 

Aye, Tennis coach 'tripod' Geoff, the three legged apple of many an eastern European tennis starlet's eye.

 

I think we can mark the Celtic cup final night down as his kickback swansong. He's not a big fan of them, and being an emotionally vocal chap can occasionally be his undoing. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

Aye, Tennis coach 'tripod' Geoff, the three legged apple of many an eastern European tennis starlet's eye.

 

I think we can mark the Celtic cup final night down as his kickback swansong. He's not a big fan of them, and being an emotionally vocal chap can occasionally be his undoing. :(

I think he said what many folk thought, Gov.  🙌

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FinnBarr Saunders
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think he said what many folk thought, Gov.  🙌

 

 

 

Give us a clue then Morgan, don't think I was on Kickback that night. Certainly had a house full and was more worried about who wiped their arse on the wifes towel instead of the friggin bog roll.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think he said what many folk thought, Gov.  🙌

 

 

 

That's Geoff for you. Fighting the good fight and taking one for the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
maroondevo52
On 05/04/2021 at 20:40, Sharpie said:

 I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

Don’t think there was any trouble last night.

A lot more officers and 6 Mounted Police.

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
50 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Don’t think there was any trouble last night.

A lot more officers and 6 Mounted Police.

 

Freezing cold and some snow probably played its part too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fxxx the SPFL
52 minutes ago, been here before said:

 

Freezing cold and some snow probably played its part too.

was just up the meadows an hour ago plenty groups but looked like families mostly in fours no alcohol as far as i could see. Police present and there are large signs on lampposts stating 'it is illegal to drink alcohol in the meadows you could be fined'

Link to post
Share on other sites
maroondevo52
1 hour ago, been here before said:

 

Freezing cold and some snow probably played its part too.

Yeh more than likely, seemingly very quiet.

I was just up the Blackford Hill with the dogs, nice, sunny and warm at the bottom, Baltic blowing a gale and snowing at the top.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
On 05/04/2021 at 05:43, Gerd Muller said:

Boy in grey is already wearing his prison uniform 😀

 

 

I'm sure that outfit is called a 'Sparky Griffiths'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
the general
5 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

was just up the meadows an hour ago plenty groups but looked like families mostly in fours no alcohol as far as i could see. Police present and there are large signs on lampposts stating 'it is illegal to drink alcohol in the meadows you could be fined'

 

Aye was same yesterday

Loads of police and mobile cctv

 

A few groups of guys appearing after the cops walked by but then quickly moving on again when next patrol showed up

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure that outfit is called a 'Sparky Griffiths'. 

Shame it wasn’t just an Orange Lucozade bottle he used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like last time in Porty, it takes serious public disturbances and violence for the Police and Council to pull the finger oot.

 

They're supposed to be proactive and prevent this kind of stuff happening, not be reactive and only start screwing the nut after crimes have already been committed.

It was blindingly obvious that large crowds were going to flock to the Meadows for all-day drinking/drug taking as soon as the sun came out.

It happens every feckin year, pandemic or not.

 

All they had to do was be there with mounted police as a visible deterrent and things would not have gotten so out of control in the first place.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns

I'm led to believe that the Police put out an all officers alert when things started to spiral last Saturday but very few officers were available as they were dealing with similar issues across Edinburgh e.g. Clermiston Hill and Leith. Best they were able to muster was 20 extra bodies. 

 

Could very easily have been much worse than it was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
14 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

was just up the meadows an hour ago plenty groups but looked like families mostly in fours no alcohol as far as i could see. Police present and there are large signs on lampposts stating 'it is illegal to drink alcohol in the meadows you could be fined'

 

It's a shame to ruin it for those of us who can behave ourselves, which is the vast majority.

I sincerely hope this is only a short term measure to deal with the current issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
McGlynn The Money
On 05/04/2021 at 20:40, Sharpie said:

 I remember Willie Swan in the mounted squad, and then Tam Bisset who became the sergeant. They used to ride quite frequently along Clerk Street and all the way to Liberton where a Smithy looked after the shoeing for the section. They were always quite impressive sitting erect on their big well groomed horses.

:oohmatron:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Burgundy

Went up mob handed with my mates looking for a ruck but the rozzers had us well tucked up on arrival.

 

Also it was freezing and the string in my mittens would have seriously reduced the power in my uppercuts so a lot of people got lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Went up mob handed with my mates looking for a ruck but the rozzers had us well tucked up on arrival.

 

Also it was freezing and the string in my mittens would have seriously reduced the power in my uppercuts so a lot of people got lucky.

 

There's always next week, Ron. 

The Meadows aint goin' nowhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Burgundy
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

 

There's always next week, Ron. 

The Meadows aint goin' nowhere. 

And we'll be ready. I'm getting longer mitten string fitted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
maroondevo52
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I'm led to believe that the Police put out an all officers alert when things started to spiral last Saturday but very few officers were available as they were dealing with similar issues across Edinburgh e.g. Clermiston Hill and Leith. Best they were able to muster was 20 extra bodies. 

 

Could very easily have been much worse than it was.

 

Without a doubt, think the Officers on the ground were miffed that the Public Order guys in vans close by were not called in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter

Aye nice and warm to sit in the meadows yesterday, 6C, wee flurry o snow might have

helped the cucumber triangle shaped sannies go down a treat, 😮sat in the back garden for

10 mins yesterday, baltic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Went up mob handed with my mates looking for a ruck but the rozzers had us well tucked up on arrival.

 

Also it was freezing and the string in my mittens would have seriously reduced the power in my uppercuts so a lot of people got lucky.

Did you have your grey jobby catchers on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Armed police arrested a 20-year-old male in Inverleith Park yesterday evening after reports of a disturbance. A crossbow was recovered at the scene.

 

A feckin crossbow

 

:wtf:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Cade said:

Armed police arrested a 20-year-old male in Inverleith Park yesterday evening after reports of a disturbance. A crossbow was recovered at the scene.

 

A feckin crossbow

 

:wtf:

 

We need @sadj back in Edinburgh to sort these ****s out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
maroondevo52

At the Celtic v Lazio game a couple of years ago, a Celtic 'fan' punched a police horse in the face then was apprehended by mounted police using their extra long batons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

We need @sadj back in Edinburgh to sort these ****s out. 

🤣🤣 usual fees apply

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2021 at 13:49, Tazio said:

Yep, one of the pubs near me has definitely had some shady opening going on. It’s got a mostly disused function suite behind it hidden from the street and I’ve seen a few people outside it smoking recently. 

Aye theres one in a town near us that has its function suite curtains closed permanently , loads of cars/taxis turning up picking up n dropping off folk. Its right opposite an unmanned cop shop too which in itself is amusing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
McGlynn The Money
2 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

At the Celtic v Lazio game a couple of years ago, a Celtic 'fan' punched a police horse in the face then was apprehended by mounted police using their extra long batons.

 

:oohmatron:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, sadj said:

🤣🤣 usual fees apply

 

I know a spiteful wee dumpy burst with an Indian sounding name that'll give you a hand shandy in the phone box at the Forrest Road end of Middle Meadow Walk. 

 

Watch out for the nails, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

I know a spiteful wee dumpy burst with an Indian sounding name that'll give you a hand shandy in the phone box at the Forrest Road end of Middle Meadow Walk. 

 

Watch out for the nails, though. 


A Spiteful hand shandy is always a good hand shandy 🤣#sold

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

 

In some respects I agree with you but honestly have the wine sipping "rugger" people been involved in the violence? Or was that down to the grey sweat suit wearing chavs? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

 

Maybe you should think of the reason why the Police have to be there in such numbers, rather than moaning about the Police presence.

If some folks just behaved themselves, then there would be no need for the Police to have to patrol the park.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

 

In some respects I agree with you but honestly have the wine sipping "rugger" people been involved in the violence? Or was that down to the grey sweat suit wearing chavs? 

I agree with you that the rugged lots don't get involved like the seear suit types, but it does nothing to change the mindset of them towards the police if they see different treatment.  If there is no drinking in the meadows, that should mean the wine suppers as well.  

If you demonise those types compared to the wine suppers, they will never respect the law.  Works both ways.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Enzo Chiefo
28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

To be honest, James , I think we're past worrying about Covid breaches and it's back to a crackdown to prevent ned related disturbances, so that those who want to enjoy their bevvy socially , can do so. A degree of summer normality returning imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
42 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The geatapo sorry offices out en masse today at the meadows . 5 meat ,  wagons , over 20 police walking about patrolling and “ talking to “ various groups of people who might be drinking . Noticeably picking on certain groups of people and perhaps classes , whereas other groups allowed to sip their wine or play rugger . Disgrace really we have come to this 

 

I'm not sure whether to be outraged at the police for talking to people or for people being allowed to sip wine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

 

In some respects I agree with you but honestly have the wine sipping "rugger" people been involved in the violence? Or was that down to the grey sweat suit wearing chavs? 

Not sure if they have but probably unlikely and some of the "chavs" are actually from middle class backgrounds.  You shouldnt tar everyone with the same stick. Unfortunately that it what the police are doing hence my posting.  Assuming that all the young people dressed in a certain way will misbehave .  Its a futile operation as they will just go elsewhere to drink. It smacks of doing something for the sake of it really.  Its unsustainable anyway.  It just felt unplesant having such a big police presence in a place where people are out to chill and relax ( well most people) 

22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Maybe you should think of the reason why the Police have to be there in such numbers, rather than moaning about the Police presence.

If some folks just behaved themselves, then there would be no need for the Police to have to patrol the park.

 

The reasons are also due to lockdown. Indoor meetings banned so what else are some people to do ? Cant wait can they ? Yes getting tanked up and fighting isnt a good image but its been happening since time began.  Its not a new phenomena 

20 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I agree with you that the rugged lots don't get involved like the seear suit types, but it does nothing to change the mindset of them towards the police if they see different treatment.  If there is no drinking in the meadows, that should mean the wine suppers as well.  

If you demonise those types compared to the wine suppers, they will never respect the law.  Works both ways.  

Yep stereotype and demonize them and they become more angry and resentful and tensions build up . Yes if there is an alcohol ban. It includes everyone  > But we witnessed it with our own eyes police walking passed certain groups of people drinking whereas they moved on others. 

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be honest, James , I think we're past worrying about Covid breaches and it's back to a crackdown to prevent ned related disturbances, so that those who want to enjoy their bevvy socially , can do so. A degree of summer normality returning imo

I have forgotten what the rules are now anyway so unsure if there was any potential covid breaches. As you know most people have literraly voted with their feet regarding outdoor " rules" Yes a degree of normality 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not sure if they have but probably unlikely and some of the "chavs" are actually from middle class backgrounds.  You shouldnt tar everyone with the same stick. Unfortunately that it what the police are doing hence my posting.  Assuming that all the young people dressed in a certain way will misbehave .  Its a futile operation as they will just go elsewhere to drink. It smacks of doing something for the sake of it really.  Its unsustainable anyway.  It just felt unplesant having such a big police presence in a place where people are out to chill and relax ( well most people) 

The reasons are also due to lockdown. Indoor meetings banned so what else are some people to do ? Cant wait can they ? Yes getting tanked up and fighting isnt a good image but its been happening since time began.  Its not a new phenomena 

Yep stereotype and demonize them and they become more angry and resentful and tensions build up . Yes if there is an alcohol ban. It includes everyone  > But we witnessed it with our own eyes police walking passed certain groups of people drinking whereas they moved on others. 

I have forgotten what the rules are now anyway so unsure if there was any potential covid breaches. As you know most people have literraly voted with their feet regarding outdoor " rules" Yes a degree of normality 

 

Which is sort of what you did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

 

Which is sort of what you did. 

Not neccessarily. I did note that some people whom some call chavs can cause bother but not them all. Its the police who are being discriminatory but looking out for certain " types.." I think its called " profiling" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Not neccessarily. I did note that some people whom some call chavs can cause bother but not them all. Its the police who are being discriminatory but looking out for certain " types.." I think its called " profiling" 

 

I was meaning labelling the rugger bugger crowd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

 

I was meaning labelling the rugger bugger crowd.

Ive been in the company of many a " rugger bugger" crowd and they arent exactly outstanding role models....( well some obviously ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...