Josh Ginnelly

Rick Sanchez

Hope he signs/has signed.  His pace is unreal, but so was Mulraney's... difference is Gino knows how to use it to scare defences.  Yeah his end product won't always be spot on but frankly he'd be Mo Salah if it was and certainly not on our radar!

I like how he'll shoot from distance, how his first and only thought when he gets the ball is to make something happen.  You could see him working in a number of setups too, so as much as I was regime change, happy for us to sign Josh as I think any manager could use him.

GMS who has crept into this thread.  I have a feeling he may prove a few wrong too.  Mind you, they're not wrong at the moment.  Hard to tell if it's him, the setup or whatever, but not been great start.  Talent undoubtedt hough.

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hearts fans have moaned about signing players who are injury prone for the last 3 seasons. Yet still crave Ginnelly to come back. He as hardly even played for us this season due to injury problems. 

IMO we have been so shit all season Ginnelly has become a success in our eyes by default, he seemed to get more and more successful the less he played.

I think he could be a good player but he is not worth the risk IMO.

Here are his appearances for Hearts and time on the field and the amount he was injured. Seeing it in black and white might surprise some as to how little he actually played for us this season.

3 league cup games, 6 league games and 1 Scottish Cup game. 

League cup - 

Played 83 minutes against Inverness

Played 90 minutes against Cowdenbeath

Played 19 minutes against Raith

Misses other 2 league cup games due to injury

League - 

Played 75 mins against Dundee and played well.

Played 9 minutes at Arbroath before going off injured.

Not in the squad for the next 4 due to injury.

Played for 28 minutes vs QOTS and scored in the 91st minute when we were already 5-1 up.

Not in the squad for the next 3 due to injury.

Played 25 mins vs Alloa scores in 93rd minute we won 3-1.

Played 40 mins vs Raith we lose 3-2.

Played 16 minutes vs Raith away goes off injured. 

Season over due to injury.

Scottish Cup - 

Misses semi final due to injury.

Final plays 33 mins normal time and 30 mins extra time.

Good structured response. Speaks volumes for what else is being done on the pitch that regardless of the above he is a highlight.

Robbo-Jambo
16 hours ago, Holtie said:

Another player we talk up, probably out of desperation, but who for me still has a lot to prove. He is injury prone, no matter what he may claim, and while I accept he has pace and no little skill he had zero composure - the cup final being a prime example. Is he better than what we have got...probably, but I just have a feeling a year from now he will  be yet another under performer. I’m probably being too negative but it’s happened so often previously.

It's no wonder we feel like that tbh. 

Every decent player that comes here seems to go downhill shortly after our coaching staff get a hold of them. 

Think that Ginnelly has got what it takes if he is coached correctly because he definetly lacks things like composure and good decision making but there is no doubting he has talent if he can stay fit. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hearts fans have moaned about signing players who are injury prone for the last 3 seasons. Yet still crave Ginnelly to come back. He as hardly even played for us this season due to injury problems. 

IMO we have been so shit all season Ginnelly has become a success in our eyes by default, he seemed to get more and more successful the less he played.

Here are his appearances for Hearts and time on the field and the amount he was injured. Seeing it in black and white might surprise some as to how little he actually played for us this season.

League cup - 

League - 

Played for 28 minutes vs QOTS and scored in the 91st minute when we were already 5-1 up.

Scottish Cup - 

Obviously his injuries are the big problem. But if you've watched him play, you know he's quality. Not to be considered a success as a signing, but he is far and away better than our current options out wide. He is a risk worth taking IMO, as the alternative is signing more duds that end up costing us far more.

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

GMS will prove you wrong.

Would love to be wrong but I fear he peaked about 5/6 years ago and what little he had left drained away while in States.

7 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

League cup - 

League - 

Scottish Cup - 

So he played the equivalent of 5 full games for us. 

Captain Canada

I doubt there are lots of teams queuing up to sign him, so we could possibly get him on a low basic wage topped up with appearance money? 

We seem to be in the habit of offering a very high basic wage to players and have to carry the cost regardless of whether they're injured or just plain rubbish. 

Tokyo Drifter
On 30/03/2021 at 21:22, Rick Sanchez said:

Is he talking next season or do we think he might be due back earlier?

Nah, he's just practising his punctuation

Its easy to pin a label on Ginnelly as being injury prone.  Arsenal could have said the same with Keiran Tierney.  I think Ginnelly picked up a hamstring injury that never properly healed.  I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.  Also the impact he has made in the relatively short time he has played has been more than enough to convince me he's a player worth having.  He is the one attacking player who went forward when he got the ball instead of what we are seeing with the likes of GMS.  Get the ball, stop, pass it back.  

Like him wouldn't be sad not to see him get a contract. Just not played enough and we cant keep carrying injury prone players going forward.

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

based on ?

The usual rigorously-tested high-standards of evidence that underpin everything posted on here.

My infectious optimism.

What he was capable of in the past.

My desire to see every Hearts player succeed, and for every fan to get behind the team and get the best out of them.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
51 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

The usual rigorously-tested high-standards of evidence that underpin everything posted on here.

My infectious optimism.

What he was capable of in the past.

My desire to see every Hearts player succeed, and for every fan to get behind the team and get the best out of them.

I'm sold. The last few weeks have really drained me as I'm usually very optimistic about Hearts. I'm fed up of moaning about Neilson or Budge or Levein or John Murray, it just doesn't add to my enjoyment of the football. So my first step to stop being such a moapy wee gob***** about everything is to embrace GMS. The GMS fan club is open for business.

21 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

League cup - 

League - 

Scottish Cup - 

I completely agree.

We've had enough injury prone players lately and Ginnelly has become better and better the more he's been injured 

2 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I'm sold. The last few weeks have really drained me as I'm usually very optimistic about Hearts. I'm fed up of moaning about Neilson or Budge or Levein or John Murray, it just doesn't add to my enjoyment of the football. So my first step to stop being such a moapy wee gob***** about everything is to embrace GMS. The GMS fan club is open for business.

Great stuff. Enjoy his first goal or two this week-end. Guaranteed.