James Anderson leaving Baillie Gifford

Sid

colinmaroon

Why, in heaven's name would he want to put himself in the situation where, if we aren't winning the league playing like Man City this year, he get treated like something you pick up on your shoe by some on here?

Edited by colinmaroon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• JamboAl

• Lone Striker

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Thats a bit harsh, FA.      HMFC plc has several departments (commercial, catering, ticketing etc) ....... so what's wrong with calling the main thing the "football department" ?      Pretty sure JA would see it that way too.     

Trouble is the football department hasn't always seemed the main thing under Ann. For me football is the essence of a football club. The rest is peripheral and the term department should be reserved for the peripherals.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, OTT said:

Hopefully freeing up his time to become Chairman of a certain club in Gorgie? :) 

BMC or Merchi Hearts 🤔?

Francis Albert
53 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

:tlj:   Why would he ?    Why should he ?    Are you really suggesting that we should go down the sugar daddy route again ?   Rely on 1 person just because he's wealthy ??        Maybe I'm a minority of 1, but I want us to live within our means and just spend/recruit  more sensibly than we have over the last 3 years.

If you are in a minority it is of 2 not 1. The whole point of FOH to which we have contributed about £12m is to prevent us again being owned by a rich "benefactor". And I doubt Anderson would have been a benefactor but for FOH.

45 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Trouble is the football department hasn't always seemed the main thing under Ann. For me football is the essence of a football club. The rest is peripheral and the term department should be reserved for the peripherals.

It is.

Unfortunately you need money to put a decent team on the field and history has shown that gate money alone doesn't meet today's need.  Nor do gate receipts+TV money.  So we add sources like marketing and to maximise income from the sale of merchandise you create a marketing dept with someone experienced in that area to oversee things as the team manager might find it difficult to do both jobs.  Then you might see hospitality/functions as an earner and utilise the buildings which otherwise lie empty most of the week and so you create a hospitality dept.  And so on and so forth.  In the last year Covid has robbed us of many of the benefits accruing from these initiatives but they may serve us well in the future.

In addition, you want all the help you can get from the community and your support so it pays to engage with them "off the field" and, directly or indirectly, the club does youth coaching, there's Big Hearts, the Changing Room etc as examples of giving back to the community and support.

That's just a flavour of HMFC but perhaps you have better suggestions of how we should proceed with just a football dept and still make a better fist of things on the field.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

:tlj:   Why would he ?    Why should he ?    Are you really suggesting that we should go down the sugar daddy route again ?   Rely on 1 person just because he's wealthy ??        Maybe I'm a minority of 1, but I want us to live within our means and just spend/recruit  more sensibly than we have over the last 3 years.

It seems like we already rely on him to an extent. 

But at least he’s a man 😉

Doctor FinnBarr
58 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It seems like we already rely on him to an extent. 

But at least he’s a man 😉

With a name like James?  Are you just guessing his gender?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Why, in heaven's name would he want to put himself in the situation where, if we aren't winning the league playing like Man City this year, he get treated like something you pick up on your shoe by some on here?

:rofl:

”playing like Man City”

Ever the excuse-maker.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

With a name like James?  Are you just guessing his gender?

Ah but he’s also a very succesful business person, so has to be a man. 

Borders Jambo
10 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

This.  I know as much as I love Hearts, I wouldn't put myself, my family or friends through this. 

Finlay James

I still laugh at Willie Miller describing the notion of JA donating cash to clubs to help them through the pandemic as "Fanciful".  

If we could have JA on board, even as an advisor, it would be genius.

ford donald
1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

I still laugh at Willie Miller describing the notion of JA donating cash to clubs to help them through the pandemic as "Fanciful".  

If we could have JA on board, even as an advisor, it would be genius.

People like WM have small minds,they dismiss real people like JA,because the don't know any better,then when money is offered everything changes! I hope he continues his liking for Hearts,his knowledge alone is very welcomed.

14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Is it disturbing for him though?

Apparently not because he is still putting money in. Seems to have faith in the Hearts board to turn things around.

His track record as an investor is to find winners and stay with them for the long term. Bodes well for us.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hoping he's at a stage of life this is a project that gives him some new motivation and excitement 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

Apparently not because he is still putting money in. Seems to have faith in the Hearts board to turn things around.

His track record as an investor is to find winners and stay with them for the long term. Bodes well for us.

As far as I can tell he is not investing in Hearts but donating to them, as in to a charity.

22 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

If he's as clever as he appears he'll buy an island somewhere as far away from the Tynecastle boardroom as possible. He's done more than his share. 

:D This.

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As far as I can tell he is not investing in Hearts but donating to them, as in to a charity.

Semantics. Hair splitting

He is putting money into the club (or at least, has done).   End of.

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

It is.

Unfortunately you need money to put a decent team on the field and history has shown that gate money alone doesn't meet today's need.  Nor do gate receipts+TV money.  So we add sources like marketing and to maximise income from the sale of merchandise you create a marketing dept with someone experienced in that area to oversee things as the team manager might find it difficult to do both jobs.  Then you might see hospitality/functions as an earner and utilise the buildings which otherwise lie empty most of the week and so you create a hospitality dept.  And so on and so forth.  In the last year Covid has robbed us of many of the benefits accruing from these initiatives but they may serve us well in the future.

In addition, you want all the help you can get from the community and your support so it pays to engage with them "off the field" and, directly or indirectly, the club does youth coaching, there's Big Hearts, the Changing Room etc as examples of giving back to the community and support.

That's just a flavour of HMFC but perhaps you have better suggestions of how we should proceed with just a football dept and still make a better fist of things on the field.

Perhaps you misread my post but I never suggested we should not have all these other departments or expertise.. We always have had but until Ann I never heard the "football department" used as if it were just another department. "The club" or "the team" or just "Hearts" was used and in context everyone new what was meant. A year or two on after Ann's review of the commercial "non-football" business we still await the review of the football side of the business which tells me something. Perhaps CL's overdue and  prolonged departure was the verdict but it would have been good to hear the outcome of the review of that failure and lessons learned.

As far as your other points are concerned we have almost always operated financially on a level playing field or better in relation to all but two clubs and none of the non-football departments will significantly impact on our ability to compete with those two. Nor I think will commercial activities outside football have a telling impact on our competitiveness with Aberdeen or Hibs. We need to use our resources better - on the football field. See MacDonald and Jeffries who never headed a "football department" and had little assistance from our noe proliferating other depertments.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Semantics. Hair splitting

He is putting money into the club (or at least, has done).   End of.

I have been "putting money into" Hearts for over 50 years but have wisely never considered it a financial investment. It is a distinction that is relevant to a discussion of Anderson's role and any possible future role.

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Perhaps you misread my post but I never suggested we should not have all these other departments or expertise.. We always have had but until Ann I never heard the "football department" used as if it were just another department. "The club" or "the team" or just "Hearts" was used and in context everyone new what was meant. A year or two on after Ann's review of the commercial "non-football" business we still await the review of the football side of the business which tells me something. Perhaps CL's overdue and  prolonged departure was the verdict but it would have been good to hear the outcome of the review of that failure and lessons learned.

As far as your other points are concerned we have almost always operated financially on a level playing field or better in relation to all but two clubs and none of the non-football departments will significantly impact on our ability to compete with those two. Nor I think will commercial activities outside football have a telling impact on our competitiveness with Aberdeen or Hibs. We need to use our resources better - on the football field. See MacDonald and Jeffries who never headed a "football department" and had little assistance from our noe proliferating other depertments.

Aren't you getting hung up needlessly on what we call it  ?   AMcD and JJ both benefitted from having access to substantial amounts of money (at the time) to buy players  - a lot of that money would have come as a result of our commercial dept doing a decent job of attracting sponsorship and advertising.   Yes, the amount of revenue would have a loose correlation to the team's results & performances - but without revenue earning departments, Hearts and most other pro clubs would struggle financially.

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

We don't really NEED these other departments.  It's just a question of where you want to strut your stuff eg the top league or the Lowland league.  Standing still often leads to going backwards.  I cannot see us competing financially with the OF nor being consistently at the top of the pyramid but with increased  revenue we can acquire better players and maybe do a Leicester City occasionally.  Once we have these departments they become inter dependent with all profits (hopefully) being directed to football matters. I suspect AB has conducted her review bit she did not say she was going to publish the results.  Suffice to say CL and co are no longer with us and we have a new managerial/coaching team as well as Andrew McKinlay and Joe Savage, running things

I always thought of us as the 3rd force and above Aberdeen and Hibs.  All things being equal, any increased funding we create should widen the gap.  Re McDonald and JJ that was a different era but I would remind you  that around that time Rangers were coining it in with off field profits from their weekly lucky numbers ticket sales, a source which I'm sure helped greatly in their achieving 10 iar.

Lastly re your point about using our resources better, I agree.  Unfortunately whether it's a new CEO, DoF, manager or player, you choose what or who you think is the best option but only with hindsight can you say you were right.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
16 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aren't you getting hung up needlessly on what we call it  ?   AMcD and JJ both benefitted from having access to substantial amounts of money (at the time) to buy players  - a lot of that money would have come as a result of our commercial dept doing a decent job of attracting sponsorship and advertising.   Yes, the amount of revenue would have a loose correlation to the team's results & performances - but without revenue earning departments, Hearts and most other pro clubs would struggle financially.

doddie spent decent money on McPherson (and made a profit on him) and latterly derek Ferguson

of the 1986 squad what substantial amounts of money were spent on it again? sandy Clark which was hardly an outlier amount - who else ?

jj latterly had money and previously spent a few quid on the likes of Neil McCann but so did hibs and Aberdeen etc like Crawford and Lavetty etc jj just bought the right ones

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

doddie spent decent money on McPherson (and made a profit on him) and latterly derek Ferguson

of the 1986 squad what substantial amounts of money were spent on it again? sandy Clark which was hardly an outlier amount - who else ?

jj latterly had money and previously spent a few quid on the likes of Neil McCann but so did hibs and Aberdeen etc like Crawford and Lavetty etc jj just bought the right ones

It may have been "small" amounts, but they all add up.   JC was £30-50k  I think we paid transfer fees for Ian Jardine & Brian Whittaker, Kenny Black, Roddy McDonald, Andy Watson  & Colin McAdam.

JJ signed some cracking players - for much higher fees - but still signed  some stinkers too.      Mo Berthe, Leigh Jenkinson, Derek Lilley, Kevin James

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

It may have been "small" amounts, but they all add up.   JC was £30-50k  I think we paid transfer fees for Ian Jardine & Brian Whittaker, Kenny Black, Roddy McDonald, Andy Watson  & Colin McAdam.

JJ signed some cracking players - for much higher fees - but still signed  some stinkers too.      Mo Berthe, Leigh Jenkinson, Derek Lilley, Kevin James

hardly substantial amounts though as you said

it wasn’t that unusual for teams to spend those amounts

roddy Macdonald wasn’t signed by doddie

iain jardine was free and I think Colin mcadam

from memory levein 60k black 30k Whittaker 30k Jc 50k plus sandy Clark which was maybe a bigger fee of 200k pretty much all the rest were free - hardly unusual spending in fact the very definition of a shrewd considering the team we had

he spent more later but still turned profits on most of them like mike Galloway who we bought for a bargain 60k got great service from and sold on for 500k and even tosh we probably done ok on after again brilliant service

it wasn’t access to substantial amounts of money which built that team/era

while jj maybe spent a bit more even in the early days I don’t think it was unusual amounts compared to likes of hibs and aberdeen - at the time we signed Micky Cameron didn’t hibs sign Crawford and lavety and Wright etc and aberdeen signed a few of similar ilk

On 19/03/2021 at 16:53, JamboAl said:

But you have not had the chance to see how JA would manage the football dept at Hearts.  You just post a load of biased guff.

Your last post you "doubted", now you "suspect".

As regards your last sentence AB was well aware of her limitations which was why she hired a football man.   If you want to criticise her for that with the huge adavantage of hindsight feel free to do so but I imagine you've already exhausted that subject.

ironic given the amount you post

8 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

ironic given the amount you post

I thought you were going to post on the topic for a second.  Silly me.

Edited by JamboAl

It would be interesting to compare that with the fees spent by Levein, MacPhee,Stendel and Neilson even without taking inflation into account.

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

hardly substantial amounts though as you said

it wasn’t that unusual for teams to spend those amounts

roddy Macdonald wasn’t signed by doddie

iain jardine was free and I think Colin mcadam

from memory levein 60k black 30k Whittaker 30k Jc 50k plus sandy Clark which was maybe a bigger fee of 200k pretty much all the rest were free - hardly unusual spending in fact the very definition of a shrewd considering the team we had

he spent more later but still turned profits on most of them like mike Galloway who we bought for a bargain 60k got great service from and sold on for 500k and even tosh we probably done ok on after again brilliant service

it wasn’t access to substantial amounts of money which built that team/era

while jj maybe spent a bit more even in the early days I don’t think it was unusual amounts compared to likes of hibs and aberdeen - at the time we signed Micky Cameron didn’t hibs sign Crawford and lavety and Wright etc and aberdeen signed a few of similar ilk

Doddie used the funds shrewdly.  👍 He seemed a very good judge of a player's attributes, and how they'd fit in to the team he was building at Hearts.    Was Levein as much as 60k ?   I  though it was  about half that.

Hibs did seem to splash the cash a bit.   They went for several international keepers - Herriot,  Goram,  Roughie, Leighton - as well as forwards with decent pedigree like Harper, Duncan, Edwards, Archibald, Crawford, Brewster, Wright.    It's always seemed disappointing to me that Hearts haven't been as keen as them to sign or develop goalscorers.  

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It would be interesting to compare that with the fees spent by Levein, MacPhee,Stendel and Neilson even without taking inflation into account.

probably "horrifying" would be a more appropriate reaction  😲             

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Doddie used the funds shrewdly.  👍 He seemed a very good judge of a player's attributes, and how they'd fit in to the team he was building at Hearts.    Was Levein as much as 60k ?   I  though it was  about half that.

Hibs did seem to splash the cash a bit.   They went for several international keepers - Herriot,  Goram,  Roughie, Leighton - as well as forwards with decent pedigree like Harper, Duncan, Edwards, Archibald, Crawford, Brewster, Wright.    It's always seemed disappointing to me that Hearts haven't been as keen as them to sign or develop goalscorers.  

think levein was 60k maybe 40k - compared to the others it was a fair fee for a youngster from Cowdenbeath but again showed great judgement

for all levein takes a lot of stick now (plenty of it justified) - he was a brilliant player

even after his first injury I didn’t think he was anywhere as good as he was/could have been but still comfortably one of the  best defenders in scotland

im not entirely sure what era but aberdeen spent 1m on Paul Bernard plus plenty other decent fees on plenty decent players

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

different eras pre and post Bosman etc so probably wouldn’t be easy to get a meaningful comparison without some fairly complex adjustments

Glamorgan Jambo

If you read Doddie’s book one of the most interesting snippets was how little he was involved in player recruitment. That was essentially Mercer’s responsibility. Doddie would disappear to one of the Costas for an  extended holiday at the end of the season and Wallace would recruit for the positions they had, presumably jointly, identified as needing filled. Must admit I was surprised at this.

Lone Striker
16 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

If you read Doddie’s book one of the most interesting snippets was how little he was involved in player recruitment. That was essentially Mercer’s responsibility. Doddie would disappear to one of the Costas for an  extended holiday at the end of the season and Wallace would recruit for the positions they had, presumably jointly, identified as needing filled. Must admit I was surprised at this.

Surely Doddie (and Sandy Jardine) had identified the actual player(s) they wanted though ?  Leaving the negotiations over transfer fee and wages to Wallace  made sense though - he seemed the sort who would drive a hard bargain, and maybe intimidate the selling club's chairman too !! 😀

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
27 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Surely Doddie (and Sandy Jardine) had identified the actual player(s) they wanted though ?  Leaving the negotiations over transfer fee and wages to Wallace  made sense though - he seemed the sort who would drive a hard bargain, and maybe intimidate the selling club's chairman too !! 😀

yup great that Wallace was I don’t think he unearthed Levein or seen the potential to develop McPherson :lol:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yup great that Wallace was I don’t think he unearthed Levein or seen the potential to develop McPherson :lol:

to be fair it was a team effort and we must have had some great scouts and contacts to find some of the gems we did

doddie did similar at airdrie as well as the many ex-hearts players he signed who served him well again

On 19/03/2021 at 22:50, chrystaf said:

As all investments of this nature are.  

Indeed.  Very volatile.  Especially at the moment.  

I live in Manchester population 554,000 I used to live in Edinburgh population 488,00.

Manchester has 66,000 more people.

However why is it that Manchester has two massive clubs known worldwide and Edinburgh

with only 66k less has two poor teams that nobody knows about.

The point is Edinburgh is a worldwide known City with financial clout and business but the

two teams don't live up to the City's status.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

I live in Manchester population 554,000 I used to live in Edinburgh population 488,00.

However why is it that Manchester has two massive clubs known worldwide and Edinburgh

The point is Edinburgh is a worldwide known City with financial clout and business but the

To be fair, the Manchester urban area has a population of nearly 3 million people. 

Francis Albert
56 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair, the Manchester urban area has a population of nearly 3 million people. 

True and even more in the cartchment area. There is also the small plus of playing in the EPL rather than SPFL.

Population within an hour by road or train to the Manchester grounds is probably not far short of the population of Scotland

Edited by Francis Albert

On 19/03/2021 at 14:55, Sid said:

Leaving next year. Got a couple of other things on the go in finance but looks like possibly stepping back. 
Hope he cashes all his shares and gives us some more crumbs off the table!  

We shouldn’t be looking for handouts but giving him a contract to form HMFC Finance.

9 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

In which case you will know that Old Trafford is situated outside the city of Manchester.  The metropolitan area of Greater Manchester has a population of nearly 3M.

I'm absolutely certain that when him, Bezos and the Tesla bloke get a few pints in them, £500m will be the bare minimum of their philanthropy towards us.  That's chewing gum money to these blokes and they are to some degree indebted to Anderson for investing in them when they needed it.

On 21/03/2021 at 11:17, FORTHCLYDE said:

Edinburgh teams play in the SPL

132goals1958
On 21/03/2021 at 11:17, FORTHCLYDE said:

If it was only that then they must have all been on the M62 at the same time as me.

On 21/03/2021 at 21:52, Kiwidoug said:

I'm absolutely certain that when him, Bezos and the Tesla bloke get a few pints in them, £500m will be the bare minimum of their philanthropy towards us.  That's chewing gum money to these blokes and they are to some degree indebted to Anderson for investing in them when they needed it.

Don’t forget Jack Ma at Alibaba. If he sees out the year that is. 

loveofthegame
On 19/03/2021 at 21:03, Bull's-eye said:

He's male.

There's no other reason. 

Nonsense. Budge has had her turn and has led us back to the Championship.  Her shelf life is over and I'd happily have her hand over the reigns to the right replacement, be they male or female. Her purpose of rescuing the club has been fulfilled - will be forever grateful for that but I do not believe she is the person to take us forward. Too many mistakes along the way.

If a business genius like James Anderson comes along and is genuinely interested (he may have no interest whatsoever) then we would be mental to turn him down, whether he has football experience or not. We have Joe Savage and Andrew McKinlay in place now, so we're on the look out for a Chairman/woman rather than someone to run the infamous 'football department'.

David Black
22 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Nonsense. Budge has had her turn and has led us back to the Championship.  Her shelf life is over and I'd happily have her hand over the reigns to the right replacement, be they male or female. Her purpose of rescuing the club has been fulfilled - will be forever grateful for that but I do not believe she is the person to take us forward. Too many mistakes along the way.

If a business genius like James Anderson comes along and is genuinely interested (he may have no interest whatsoever) then we would be mental to turn him down, whether he has football experience or not. We have Joe Savage and Andrew McKinlay in place now, so we're on the look out for a Chairman/woman rather than someone to run the infamous 'football department'.

Agree entirely and it would be a sin if the club after the shares were transferred if we did not at least approach him.

22 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Yes because AB put them there!

When she came in there was no one and nearly no club at all.  Just a skeleton with a morsel of flesh on.