Hearts v Motherwell

soonbe110

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You'd think Kingsley could switch over with Halliday or White at LB. Most wingers play inwards these days anyway as far as defending on wrong side.

Whos the other 2? Boyce and Gordon?

Yeah probably those two. I would imagine either they two could play there or Popescu for shits n giggles. I think he’s still trying to loan someone from the top league as the deadline was extended to the end if this month. 

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Off topic but I’m asking you because you seem pretty up to date with what’s happening with the youths. There was a plan while CL was here that all levels at the club would play similar formations so young players could step up through the ranks  easier. As far as I know this was implemented up to but NOT including the first team. Are there any plans to get this going and include the first team. It seems like joined up thinking and a step in the right direction. Henderson has been moved up to the first team and played out of position, doesn’t seem the best way to give him his chance. 

Have to admit, I dont know.

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Ramagio87 said:

Surely we could give Logan a start at RB?

He could start against Brora on the Tuesday and then again against QOTS on the Saturday.

He’s officially out on loan so can’t play for us, they want him to get games. Still want a loan in but they’ve known this problem would crop up so hopefully they’ve prepared for it. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah probably those two. I would imagine either they two could play there or Popescu for shits n giggles. I think he’s still trying to loan someone from the top league as the deadline was extended to the end if this month. 

Ach, I wouldn't really see the point truth be told.  Squad can cover that one game (if we play it) and even if Smudge got injured, I mean the season's over, really.

Managers love nothing more than signing players though!

As others have said, hopefully Haring getting some mins under his belt means he can come back in which gives us more options too, both in his versatility and freeing up Halliday

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ach, I wouldn't really see the point truth be told.  Squad can cover that one game (if we play it) and even if Smudge got injured, I mean the season's over, really.

Managers love nothing more than signing players though!

As others have said, hopefully Haring getting some mins under his belt means he can come back in which gives us more options too, both in his versatility and freeing up Halliday

Definitely, I think it’s the cup game too but surely someone can fill in for that. He might be worried about something happening to Smith if we progress in the cup.

Agreed about players, just another one. In modern day football you need players flexible enough to adapt to different positions, like Smith at CH/CM/LB. Halliday did well at LB, you wouldn’t want him up against a speedster though. 
It would good to have a fully fit Haring back next season. Souttar might get a few games too. 

The manager was asked to play RWB at ER once and was like a fish out of water 😆

Edited by Pasquale for King

4 hours ago, true-jambo said:

I get the impression when watching Henderson in league games that he doesn't really feel part of the first team squad.

He never appears hungry for the ball and it's as if it comes to him fine, but he isn't confident enough to demand it.

That's a real shame if a young players development is stunted through lack of confidence, and Henderson has definitely got something. Maybe that would be addressed with a decent run in the first team, once the league is won

That's a very good point.

KyleLafferty
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Genuine question and probably going to look daft but why would we postpone the QOS game?

We can postpone it if we have over 2/3 players missing cause of internationals.

21 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

First bounce game I have heard of. 
Bobby/Stewart half each

Logan Darge Berra White

Cochrane MCGill Haring Frear

Kastaneer Henderson 

subs last 15 were Flatman Smith and Denholm 

If Berra's fit then he should be picked ahead of Popescu.......

19 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, a strange one. Looks like scoring every time I watch him at the level just below first team. Unfortunately when he gets his chance in first team it’s very seldom, if ever, up front in the middle which is where he excels. Hopefully gets a chance or two once league is won.  

This might sound a strange comment as he has been sniffing about the 1st team for some time but I genuinely think he is a late bloomer, I think IF he hangs around we will see a very good player in him within the next season or 2.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Off topic but I’m asking you because you seem pretty up to date with what’s happening with the youths. There was a plan while CL was here that all levels at the club would play similar formations so young players could step up through the ranks  easier. As far as I know this was implemented up to but NOT including the first team. Are there any plans to get this going and include the first team. It seems like joined up thinking and a step in the right direction. Henderson has been moved up to the first team and played out of position, doesn’t seem the best way to give him his chance. 

I would love to hear Robbie/Savages answer to this. I think like what most of Levein tried to do, it has sound reasoning but the execution was flawed. The principle behind it makes a lot of common sense and it may go some way to explaining the failure of the academy in the Budge era. 

I think the fans across the board want to see youth given more of a chance so there is breathing room for Robbie on this front if he commits to it. As things stand, journeyman after journeyman isn't buying him any goodwill.

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, OTT said:

I would love to hear Robbie/Savages answer to this. I think like what most of Levein tried to do, it has sound reasoning but the execution was flawed. The principle behind it makes a lot of common sense and it may go some way to explaining the failure of the academy in the Budge era. 

I think the fans across the board want to see youth given more of a chance so there is breathing room for Robbie on this front if he commits to it. As things stand, journeyman after journeyman isn't buying him any goodwill.

Going forward, and as a result of Brexit, I think investment in our youth system (both time and money) is a necessity/priority. We're not going to be able to rely on foreigners as easily as before.

But aside from that, youth recruitment and coaching should be one of the clubs biggest investments. I don't doubt it would take years to be operating at it's optimum level - but think of the rewards and un-tapped potential. No brainer for me.

With regards to the 'plan' to which you were referring - seemed like a very good idea to me. I also believe part of the plan was to have the youth coach/manager as the expected 'next' first team manager. Almost like he was being groomed (similar to the youths) for senior football - in the Hearts 'way'.

jamboinglasgow
33 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think you've made a valid point, Young players especially are susceptible to dips in form and confidence, particularly around injuries and being out of the team (thinking Cochrane for example). Might be very worth while to employ one of a fulltime basis to be able to help returning players. I think Sean Clare used one and said it really helped him, so there is clearly value to be had there.

I think with footballers, we focus on the physical health but there must be a mental/emotional toll too, we're a fan base that does have expectations, so having that kind of resource on call to lean on as and when they need it (or even to be referred onto from the coaching staff) might be helpful in navigating any bumps they have in the road. Souttar and Haring especially might have went through the ringer mentally with how serious their injuries were. Haring as we've seen him seems to be struggling a bit getting back to where he was so it could help a lot. 

Regarding your academy point, I couldn't agree more. Managing the youngsters mental health in the transition from the academy to first team is important. In a general sense I don't feel the club has managed that transition well for any of the youngsters and there has been what seems like a reluctance to show faith in them and give them that boost in confidence to match their ability. Walkers generation has proven if you show some faith in the kids they will rise to the occasion and its a blight on the club that we've utterly failed to do that since.  

Certainly something the club should investigate. The transfer market is not kind to us, the academy could become an excellent source of quality talent if we learn to integrate it more effectively with our first team.

I would agree. The mental side of football can be just as important as the physical.

I think football has come on a lot, but still wonder whether the mental side is neglected as it can often be the idea of players need to "tough" mentality and if not they are cast aside. Was listening to a podcast at the weekend with Jamie Redknapp being interviewed, he talked about joining Liverpool aged 17, moving away from his family in Bournemouth. The first team players would not speak to him (apart from John Barnes.) They would do put bad tackles on him in training because they saw him as a threat to their position and deserved to be taken down a peg or two. The reserve coach would not let him go home when he needed to. Redknapp said that he views it as it was to tough him up so he can face 40,000 people screaming at him in a match and he was fortunately prepared for it having come from a family background in football. 

Now football is not as bad as that (especially the stories about what senior players would do to young players as initiations or punishments, but thats for another thread) but I still think there is still some of the backward thinking about a player needing to be seen as mentally tough and what that actually means. I get the sense players can be tossed aside too easily rather than clubs help them through other means. There can be a macho view that asking for help is weakness, a play going through a bad spell is written off as not able to cope rather than helped. 

There is an attitude the prevails in football that players are looked as commodities rather than human beings, player x is having a bad spell then sign player y and dump x. Lets sign 10 youth players and 1 will make it, who cares about the other 9. To me if you want to have a strong team, or an academy which sells players on for money, you have to do everything to get the most out of every individual player and starts with viewing them as a human and fixing their issues with that perspective. 

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I would agree. The mental side of football can be just as important as the physical.

I think football has come on a lot, but still wonder whether the mental side is neglected as it can often be the idea of players need to "tough" mentality and if not they are cast aside. Was listening to a podcast at the weekend with Jamie Redknapp being interviewed, he talked about joining Liverpool aged 17, moving away from his family in Bournemouth. The first team players would not speak to him (apart from John Barnes.) They would do put bad tackles on him in training because they saw him as a threat to their position and deserved to be taken down a peg or two. The reserve coach would not let him go home when he needed to. Redknapp said that he views it as it was to tough him up so he can face 40,000 people screaming at him in a match and he was fortunately prepared for it having come from a family background in football. 

Now football is not as bad as that (especially the stories about what senior players would do to young players as initiations or punishments, but thats for another thread) but I still think there is still some of the backward thinking about a player needing to be seen as mentally tough and what that actually means. I get the sense players can be tossed aside too easily rather than clubs help them through other means. There can be a macho view that asking for help is weakness, a play going through a bad spell is written off as not able to cope rather than helped. 

There is an attitude the prevails in football that players are looked as commodities rather than human beings, player x is having a bad spell then sign player y and dump x. Lets sign 10 youth players and 1 will make it, who cares about the other 9. To me if you want to have a strong team, or an academy which sells players on for money, you have to do everything to get the most out of every individual player and starts with viewing them as a human and fixing their issues with that perspective. 

CL reckoned 1 in 30 might make it.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Load of bunkum.

8 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Load of bunkum.

You don't think mentality is a big part of football?

Tell Ronaldo. Then tell Ravel Morrison.

Or tell Robbie Nelson then tell Neil Janczyk for that matter. Or Craig Gordon and Jack Hamilton.

Ability is only a part of the package.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

You don't think mentality is a big part of football?

Tell Ronaldo. Then tell Ravel Morrison.

Or tell Robbie Nelson then tell Neil Janczyk for that matter. Or Craig Gordon and Jack Hamilton.

Ability is only a part of the package.

Yawn

iwasthere1954
4 hours ago, Ramagio87 said:

Surely we could give Logan a start at RB?

He could start against Brora on the Tuesday and then again against QOTS on the Saturday.

Is he not out on loan.?

59 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Load of bunkum.

Callum James Hudson-Odoi, why do the commentators always have to refer to him as Hudson-Odoi, Hudson-Odoi. Why not just Odoi. I can’t take it anymore.

My friends call me Honk, not Monnk De-Wally De -Honk, just Honk!

35 minutes ago, Sidelight said:

Callum James Hudson-Odoi, why do the commentators always have to refer to him as Hudson-Odoi, Hudson-Odoi. Why not just Odoi. I can’t take it anymore.

Gets it.

1 hour ago, Sidelight said:

Is that because you smell?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 08/03/2021 at 18:24, soonbe110 said:

Yep, a strange one. Looks like scoring every time I watch him at the level just below first team. Unfortunately when he gets his chance in first team it’s very seldom, if ever, up front in the middle which is where he excels. Hopefully gets a chance or two once league is won.  

Like any attacker he needs a run of games. Can’t do much getting the occasional start and the odd 10 mins at the end of a game.

Batistuta87
4 hours ago, Sidelight said:

Because that's his name...

Alexander-Arnold

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Ward-Prowse

Loftus-Cheek

Maitland-Niles

And so on..... 

Broxburn Jambo
8 hours ago, Section Q said:

Really????

Finlay James
15 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Nail on the head, great post.

Billy Hoyle
9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Alexander-Arnold

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Ward-Prowse

Loftus-Cheek

Maitland-Niles

And so on..... 

Our very own Mackay-Steven. 
Maybe we shouldn’t add him it lowers the ability somewhat 😂😂

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Our very own Mackay-Steven. 
Maybe we shouldn’t add him it lowers the ability somewhat 😂😂

Forgot him 🤷🏻 😂

portobellojambo1
22 hours ago, Section Q said:

While I've always had a great deal of respect for Christophe Berra it isn't the sort of potential change that genuinely creates any sort of excitement, or something to look forward to. Popescu is far from really good enough to hold down a position in the first team but in all honesty Christophe has never recovered from the injury he suffered against Celtic and it creates a situation where it is very much like for like. It is in positions like that where if we are unable to bring in a better replacement externally you really hope that there is someone in the youths/reserve team who can hopefully step up and make it at first team level. We need to be thinking about the future rather than short term fixes that will be very much a like for like fix, and not an improvement.

lost in space
36 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

While I've always had a great deal of respect for Christophe Berra it isn't the sort of potential change that genuinely creates any sort of excitement, or something to look forward to. Popescu is far from really good enough to hold down a position in the first team but in all honesty Christophe has never recovered from the injury he suffered against Celtic and it creates a situation where it is very much like for like. It is in positions like that where if we are unable to bring in a better replacement externally you really hope that there is someone in the youths/reserve team who can hopefully step up and make it at first team level. We need to be thinking about the future rather than short term fixes that will be very much a like for like fix, and not an improvement.

Agree it would be so much better if we could bring in a young payer but we would need a reliable, experience CH to help him progress. We don't have one (Souttar's fitness is a worry). I am not sure why Hackett has not improved - I thought he would.

Smith could help a young player but asking a bit much to move him into middle and also expect him to nurse a young guy.

4 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Ideally both will be off the books at the end of the season...

Auld Reekin'
20 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'd give Damour a run up front with Boyce.

I'd give Damour a run to the airport.

colinmaroon
On 09/03/2021 at 21:49, Batistuta87 said:

Alexander-Arnold

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Ward-Prowse

Loftus-Cheek

Maitland-Niles

And so on..... 

What do they call the children if they marry another double barrelled  name?

At right wing back we have Alexander-Arnold-Oxlade-Chamberlain!!!

And grandchildren?

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

And grandchildren?

Imagine getting that on the back of a shirt 😂

"So that's £55 for your top, and you wanted "Alexander-Arnold-Oxlade-Chamberlain-Vennegoor Of Hesselink, number 11... So that'll be £1,312 total"... 

Edited by Batistuta87

5 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

And grandchildren?

Mahershalalhashbaz

Edited by Sidelight

5 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

And grandchildren?

would be nothing new of course

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 14.23.20.png

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

would be nothing new of course

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 14.23.20.png

That's not accounting for first and middle names!!!

Robert Walter James Forrest Alexander-Arnold-Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Edited by colinmaroon

I asked on a match thread why damour is not even making the bench, only to be told he's shite. Im not disputing that though I do believe he's no more shite than others. But why does he not even play in a bounce game like this?  I'm convince something just isn't right here, something stinks. IMO a major fall out or strop has happened 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, ericb said:

I asked on a match thread why damour is not even making the bench, only to be told he's shite. Im not disputing that though I do believe he's no more shite than others. But why does he not even play in a bounce game like this?  I'm convince something just isn't right here, something stinks. IMO a major fall out or strop has happened 

Probably shoved out in the cold to force him to find a new club or cancel his contract