Top gun Tom won't let Hearts stars cruise through pre-season

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Top-gun-Tom-won39t-let.4261829.jp

Top gun Tom won't let Hearts stars cruise through pre-season

Published Date: 07 July 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

IF nothing else, Hearts' players will stride on to the field to face Motherwell on August 9 in pristine physical condition. Tom Ritchie, the club's fitness coach, won't have it any other way.

Recent pre-season campaigns have resulted in a jaded Tynecastle side beginning the season, generally the upshot of Eduard Malofeev's licence-to-kill training methods.

This year, Ritchie is determined that the squad will prepare appropriately and

professionally.

The lack of a managerial figurehead at Riccarton has left Ritchie conducting operations by himself since the players reconvened at the end of last month.

Angel Chervenkov, the Bulgarian, has returned to assist with coaching duties but conditioning work remains Ritchie's remit.

A former sprinter who represented Scotland on the track at schoolboy, junior and senior level, he recognises the necessity for endurance in professional sportsmen, something Hearts as a team have lacked during recent league campaigns.

"Perhaps it could have been in the past that footballers left at the end of the season and came back for the start of pre-season without doing very much in between. These days, players leave with a close-season training programme which has been specifically designed so that they come back in good condition," explained Ritchie.

"We do a series of tests once they are back and the indicators are that our players have come back in good condition.

"If we continue our pre-season programme as we have been doing, there is no doubt in my mind we'll be extremely fit for the start of the season. The intention is to be as fit possible. Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is that our programme should be structured around high-intensity aerobic training. We have done that this year and indicators are very positive at the moment. We will be very fit come the opening game." Ritchie appears to be enjoying his brief flirtation with the limelight but, like every Hearts employee, is awaiting a managerial appointment to provide genuine leadership.

"I'm not in charge and I'm not in a high-ranking position. I'm the fitness coach," he continued. "We're short staffed at the moment. The only aspect of my job which has changed is that I address the players more often than I would normally. I talk to the boys first thing in the morning, last thing after they finish and at several points in between. "You can tell if the players are stimulated, switched on or whether they're enjoying the training. If you had to ask players, I don't think you would be that good at your job. Having said that, you pick up on players talking to each other when everyone is walking off the training field.

"My evaluation so far is that the training has been very hard and enjoyable."

Conditioning professional athletes is no longer a straightforward process. The days when pre-season training involved beating the sand dunes of Gullane and such places are long since consigned to history.

Ritchie detailed the intense planning and preparation which has gone into Hearts' pre-season schedule, and how advanced modern technology is utilised to aid his knowledge and that of others.

"The pre-season training programme was designed before the end of last season so, from that point of view, I haven't needed any advice," he said.

"I was a teacher in further education for 21 years (he lectured in construction crafts at Adam Smith College in Fife] so I'm quite familiar with dealing with the players and group dynamics, stimulation and discipline.

"There are specific training zones, the top one being called sub-max.

"That means you are training at between 90 and 95 per cent of your maximum heart rate.

"We will set the players specific times in which they must exercise in that zone during that training session. If they do that, their cardiovascular system improves, allowing you to play at your maximum for 90 minutes. Also, if you are in a game which goes into extra-time, it can take you even further."

Double training sessions and only occasional days off confirm Ritchie's intent to have the players bristling for the SPL kick-off.

"I keep out the dressing room. My job is to conduct fitness training on the pitch," he said.

"The atmosphere and the spirit out there is fantastic. I walk past the dressing-room and hear the music blaring and I can tell that the endorphins have kicked in and the guys are in high spirits."

It's a far cry from the groans which emanated when Malofeev ambled around the corridors of Riccarton. Subsequently, starting the season with a purpose seems within Hearts' capabilities this year.

I do think with Tom in full charge of fitness we will have our best fitness regime pre-season since Burley

Its the ball stuff / tactics / formations etc I'm worried about.

I also tense myself when the players arrive in Germany as this is usually where Malofeev crops up - away from the glare of fans / media

Seymour M Hersh
I do think with Tom in full charge of fitness we will have our best fitness regime pre-season since Burley

Its the ball stuff / tactics / formations etc I'm worried about.

I also tense myself when the players arrive in Germany as this is usually where Malofeev crops up - away from the glare of fans / media

They are using the ball even with their torturous running schedule.

Dirk Diggler

The more I hear TR talk, the more I like him.

It seems he is giving his all for the club.

This is fun - having my own JKB stalker :)

Thats what I am worried about! Doing ball work without a competent football coach in charge!

Seymour M Hersh

Thats what I am worried about! Doing ball work without a competent football coach in charge!

What a lofty opinion you have of yourself.:wacko:

Nelly Terraces

Soory to be a pedant SMH but they shouldn't, and won't be doing anything 'torturous', as what Tam Ritchie says is spot on. They're training at 'sub-max', that is is what can be termed as 'comfortably hard' i.e. below a level of max but hard enough to feel as if you've really put in a good shift. What that does is it increases the body's aerobic ability to go longer at a very high rate before it gets knacked out (hence TR mentioning even games going into extra time not being so arduous for then players). If you were to train at your Max, you'd be worn out before you knew it (Hello Malofeev ya ****!). I do a lot of running, and though the training for marathons is obviously different, the principle's exactly the same, you do a lot of what is called 'tempo' running which is that '90 - 95%' of your max heart rate which TR mentioned, though in long distance running it's put to around 85 - 90%.

They players should, and will, be fit as *** before the season starts. Good news all round there.

NT.

PS; I'm going to Germany pre season, so any sign of that old git Malofeev and he will be 'sorted' oot, don't worry about that.:rolleyes:

Seymour M Hersh
Soory to be a pedant SMH but they shouldn't, and won't be doing anything 'torturous', as what Tam Ritchie says is spot on. They're training at 'sub-max', that is is what can be termed as 'comfortably hard' i.e. below a level of max but hard enough to feel as if you've really put in a good shift. What that does is it increases the body's aerobic ability to go longer at a very high rate before it gets knacked out (hence TR mentioning even games going into extra time not being so arduous for then players). If you were to train at your Max, you'd be worn out before you knew it (Hello Malofeev ya ****!). I do a lot of running, and though the training for marathons is obviously different, the principle's exactly the same, you do a lot of what is called 'tempo' running which is that '90 - 95%' of your max heart rate which TR mentioned, though in long distance running it's put to around 85 - 90%.

They players should, and will, be fit as *** before the season starts. Good news all round there.

NT.

PS; I'm going to Germany pre season, so any sign of that old git Malofeev and he will be 'sorted' oot, don't worry about that.:rolleyes:

Nelly that looked ferking torturous from my (fat old git) standpoint.;)

What a lofty opinion you have of yourself.:wacko:

Nope, not at all

Nelly T - can you take some sort of mobi phone film footage of you "on tour"? The results could be hysterical

Guest JamboRobbo
If you were to train at your Max, you'd be worn out before you knew it (Hello Malofeev ya ****!).

Nah nah Nelly. Running them into the ground Malofeev style is the way forward. Surely you saw how all our hard worked pre-season payed off later in the year last season.... :P

Fat Striker
The more I hear TR talk, the more I like him.

It seems he is giving his all for the club.

I remember people saying the same about Frail when he first started taking the press conferences.

Hope Tam Ricthie's reputation doesn't go the same way as I agree he sounds like he's doing a great job in difficult circumstances.

Nelly Terraces
Nelly that looked ferking torturous from my (fat old git) standpoint.;)

Heh heh, fair play!:) I'd imagine a certain Mr Nade finding this type of training rather 'challenging'!

Great signature by the way, spot on. How are they doing in Europe?...:rolleyes:

Nope, not at all

Nelly T - can you take some sort of mobi phone film footage of you "on tour"? The results could be hysterical

Is 'happy slapping' allowed to be shown on here? Have to check wi Dex 1st. I'd be quite happy to slap the old git though (Malofeev that is, no Dex!).

They're doing pre season to get fit! Not to improve their ball skills and tactical awareness. They're doing it all with a ball for obvious reasons.

I'm sure when technical ability and tactics are being dealt with it won't be Tam at the healm. (I hope)

Seymour M Hersh
Heh heh, fair play!:) I'd imagine a certain Mr Nade finding this type of training rather 'challenging'!

Great signature by the way, spot on. How are they doing in Europe?...:rolleyes:

By their standards extremely well i am happy to report.:107years:

Archived