Jump to content

Facebook and Australians falling ooot


Recommended Posts

Facebook has been accused of being a school bully and running a bulldozer over democracy after refusing to pay News Media and has blocked them so Australians cant get overseas news. 
 

No sure the ins and outs but seems to he a new law would force facebook to pay for the news articles and as such they have said no and now anyone in Australia using facebook cant access national or international news stories.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook are acting like complete *******s over this entire affair.

 

Huge, counter-productive PR disaster for them in their childish blocking of all Australian news sites.

 

Oz is wanting tech companies to pay royalties when news from other sources is posted on their sites. I'd say that was fair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Have to agree facebook are acting like dicks here, Google came to an agreement with the Australian government, so could facebook, but naw facebook think they are a law onto themselves, need taking down a few pegs and this might well be the straw that does it judging by the Worldwide condemnation against facebook.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No way I'm backing that racist, homophobic, Nationalist against anyone. Go Facebook 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Have to agree facebook are acting like dicks here, Google came to an agreement with the Australian government, so could facebook, but naw facebook think they are a law onto themselves, need taking down a few pegs and this might well be the straw that does it judging by the Worldwide condemnation against facebook.


That last part is I think something they must have seriously misjudged. No way could they think it would come out well for them. As you say Google came to an agreement. There was a lot of quotes from the UK about it and the reasoning behind it seems fair enough. Plenty other countries seem to be adopting a similar strategy. To be playing silly beggars when there has been criticism of them recently over closing down accounts and censoring people (rightly or wrongly being irrelevant) seems to be a very stupid route to go down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, sadj said:


That last part is I think something they must have seriously misjudged. No way could they think it would come out well for them. As you say Google came to an agreement. There was a lot of quotes from the UK about it and the reasoning behind it seems fair enough. Plenty other countries seem to be adopting a similar strategy. To be playing silly beggars when there has been criticism of them recently over closing down accounts and censoring people (rightly or wrongly being irrelevant) seems to be a very stupid route to go down. 

 

All facebook has done is to give lots of ammunition to all the people/politicans who think facebook is too big, doesn't take enough responsibility for the content on it's platform etc etc. 

 

Facebook has just played straight into their hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Kilpatrick

Facebook are bssically scared that other countries copy Australia.. They made a right tit of themselves though by taking down hospitals and government pages.

 

I think it's great that they've done it though. It makes it even more obvious who the morons are that believe every shitty conspiracy out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Facebook are bssically scared that other countries copy Australia.. They made a right tit of themselves though by taking down hospitals and government pages.

 

I think it's great that they've done it though. It makes it even more obvious who the morons are that believe every shitty conspiracy out there.

I was reading other countries have done similar previously. USA news outlets I believe did this and Facebook sorted it it out and accepted the cost. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow
15 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Facebook are bssically scared that other countries copy Australia.. They made a right tit of themselves though by taking down hospitals and government pages.

 

I think it's great that they've done it though. It makes it even more obvious who the morons are that believe every shitty conspiracy out there.

I can almost see Facebook's point. They would be expected to pay to host links to news sites,  links that they don't create,  but rather are created by their users...but....the completely moronic way they threw their toys out the pram and blocked important public information sites makes me think they had this coming. 

 

I really hope Canada make good with their threat to follow Australia's lead. I mean, who gets their news from Facebook anyway???

Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Does this mean your average Aussie is being fed more or less right wing lies......

Eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

 

Facebook are banking on people caring about what they've done but with their decreasing usage they may have got idea above their station.

 

I sort of agree with them though, they offer something and if Australia doesn't want it then Facebook will just take it away. Their issue is I doubt enough people actually want it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Eh?

At last GE in UK it was fact checked that 88% of the claims put up on Facebook an including press links by the Tory Party were false...

Edited by DETTY29
Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

At last GE in UK it was fact checked that 88% of the claims put up on Facebook by the Tory Party were false...

I think you are a little confused

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I can almost see Facebook's point. They would be expected to pay to host links to news sites,  links that they don't create,  but rather are created by their users...but....the completely moronic way they threw their toys out the pram and blocked important public information sites makes me think they had this coming. 

 

I really hope Canada make good with their threat to follow Australia's lead. I mean, who gets their news from Facebook anyway???

 My Facebook here in BC seems to have less than it did, has Canada been affected in all this. Yesterday I was banned from Facebook for a while for being too fast. Haven't had that complaint in anything for such a long time, actually felt good about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

At last GE in UK it was fact checked that 88% of the claims put up on Facebook an including press links by the Tory Party were false...

I thought what you said was quite politically satirical

53 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

 My Facebook here in BC seems to have less than it did, has Canada been affected in all this. Yesterday I was banned from Facebook for a while for being too fast. Haven't had that complaint in anything for such a long time, actually felt good about it.

I love how you stopped any of us making jokes about being too fast 🤣 

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

 My Facebook here in BC seems to have less than it did, has Canada been affected in all this. Yesterday I was banned from Facebook for a while for being too fast. Haven't had that complaint in anything for such a long time, actually felt good about it.

Stephen Guilbeault (Canadian heritage minister) was in the AFR (Aussie equivalent of the Financial Times) yesterday saying they were going to do the same as Australia. I don't think it's gone through yet though.

 

The move here hasn't been universally popular, the likes of Malcolm Turnbull have been on saying a digital tax of some sort might have been the way to go, with the proceeds going to support journalism. He might have a point if the Silicon Valley tech giants weren't world leaders at avoiding taxes...

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow
12 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Does this mean your average Aussie is being fed more or less right wing lies......

Murdoch's newspapers, websites and TV channels are still up and running outside Facebook, so unlikely it impacted that at all...

Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack

This does seem to be a case of non-tech savvy politicians trying to make laws on issues they don't understand.

 

Good article here where Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web,  takes it apart:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/21/02/19/186257/australian-law-could-make-internet-unworkable-says-world-wide-web-inventor-tim-berners-lee

 

If the news sites don't want their content summarised or found on other services they can hide it behind a paywall for example or prevent it from being indexed on Google.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
6 hours ago, frankblack said:

This does seem to be a case of non-tech savvy politicians trying to make laws on issues they don't understand.

 

 

I think many politicians will make and back laws for votes rather than the outcome of the Laws they want to make or change.

I've had dozens of meetings with MP's over the years concerning conservation projects, the level of ignorance is staggering, not only of the MP's but thier advisors too, many seem driven by ideology rather than scientific evidence.

Seems it's a world wide problem and not just in the British Uplands!

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow

It seems Facebook is going to carry news in Straya again. The government has tweaked their legislation,  but I'm not 100% who, if anyone has caved in. 

 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/facebook-to-lift-news-ban-for-australian-users-and-publishers/news-story/e3567b796fbe642418d8b220b101988d

 

(Apologies for linking to a Murdoch website,  the SMH is pay walled, the Grauniad still has it in the "Live" section, which can be murder to link to...so just hold your nose)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia promises to make Facebook (and others) exempt from the new law but only if they can prove that they have signed deals with certain media outlets to pay them royalties.

 

So, if you voluntarily comply with the new law then you're exempt from it?

 

:wtf: Well, I suppose it's some sort of compromise deal. Doesn't make much sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Kilpatrick
12 hours ago, Cade said:

Australia promises to make Facebook (and others) exempt from the new law but only if they can prove that they have signed deals with certain media outlets to pay them royalties.

 

So, if you voluntarily comply with the new law then you're exempt from it?

 

:wtf: Well, I suppose it's some sort of compromise deal. Doesn't make much sense.

To be fair, Google have signed deals with all the major news companies in the country. Essentially, Canberra are saying that if Facebook copy Google then it is fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...