Cochrane

Thomaso

Comments from JJ in the “Reminiscing with Legends book”.

”I’m a big believer that you’ve got to take young boys out when he’s doing well, not when he’s doing badly.

Even if you think they’re too good to leave out, I feel you still have to think about taking them out.

If you take them out when they’re really struggling, they can worry about it and be on a downer so when they come back into the team, there’s extra pressure on them”.

Wise words - pity young Cochrane wasn’t mentored by JJ and we may have still had a cracking player on our hands.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• 1874robbo

• been here before

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope the club pay attention to JJ , a rich vein of experience to tap into. Regarding young Cochrane? Is he still on loan or off the books?

Just now, jamboozy said:

I really hope the club pay attention to JJ , a rich vein of experience to tap into. Regarding young Cochrane? Is he still on loan or off the books?

He's meant to be on loan to Montrose but they aren't playing until February at the earliest.

6 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

He's meant to be on loan to Montrose but they aren't playing until February at the earliest.

Thanks for that, I’m glad we still have him, as Tam was maybe alluding to in his op, if we nurtured these players the right way we could have a renaissance of sorts ala Paul Richie, Gary Naismith, Gary Locke type players of Mr Jim’s 1st tenure.

Edited by jamboozy

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

He should be playing ahead of Halliday.

That's how I see it. At least the lad has a footballing brain and wouldn't just aimlessly run about. 

Just now, Maroonjam said:

That's how I see it. At least the lad has a footballing brain and wouldn't just aimlessly run about. 

We're in the process of ruining him.  If Montrose aren't playing, then recall him and get him in the matchday squad.

Cochrane has potential but he has lot to prove before he's handed a start again, tbh. Didn't light it up with Dunfermline or Montrose and didn't exactly impress the last few times he's had the chance here.

37 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

”I’m a big believer that you’ve got to take young boys out when he’s doing well, not when he’s doing badly.

Even if you think they’re too good to leave out, I feel you still have to think about taking them out.

If you take them out when they’re really struggling, they can worry about it and be on a downer so when they come back into the team, there’s extra pressure on them”.

Wise words - pity young Cochrane wasn’t mentored by JJ and we may have still had a cracking player on our hands.

Surely all this would be negated by just talking to the lad? 

I think our problem is that the style of football we've played has been so pedestrian that fans turn on young players. We have this blend of slow passing and zero movement which is just stolid...

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think our problem is that the style of football we've played has been so pedestrian that fans turn on young players. We have this blend of slow passing and zero movement which is just stolid...

Which no player is proud to do well. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Cochrane should be recalled if we’ve not signed another CM before the end of the window. We are short a body. But I would prefer we sign someone. 

As for JJs advice, not really sure what the relevance is. Cochrane got injured and was out for about a year. 

21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

That’s your opinion - I think I’ll stick to what JJ said.

8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Cochrane should be recalled if we’ve not signed another CM before the end of the window. We are short a body. But I would prefer we sign someone. 

As for JJs advice, not really sure what the relevance is. Cochrane got injured and was out for about a year. 

Levein was inflating Cochrane ego - he said he was “the best midfielder at Tynecastle”. Not great man management IMO.

52 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

A traffic cone would contribute more than that imposter Halliday 

1 hour ago, jamboozy said:

Another wee gem in the book about JJ

Gary Naysmith said

”The gaffer hating me passing the ball sideways or backwards. He absolutely frowned upon it. He wanted me to drive forward with the ball and if I couldn’t do that I had to pass it forward. He didn’t like me turning back”.

Changed days under Levein and Robbie! 😕

been here before

The threads not about Cochrane.

The threads not about Jefferies.

The thread is actually about JKBs Slaver-in-Chief still bleating on about Levein.

Cochrane is a decent player that deserves a chance. Far to many on here write of our young players if they make a few mistakes or don’t run round like a headless chicken. With that attitude there’s not much point in operating a youth policy 

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

The thread is actually about JKBs Slaver-in-Chief still bleating on about Levein.

And still getting it right.

26 minutes ago, been here before said:

Why read it then?

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

How else do you suggest finding out what its about?

Well if you did read it you’d see cochrane and JJ were mentioned on numerous occasions so perfectly in line with the thread theme.

been here before
7 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Well if you did read it you’d see cochrane and JJ were mentioned on numerous occasions so perfectly in line with the thread theme.

And then the true colours reveal themselves in his last post. I found that out by reading the thread, which you seem to think I perhaps shouldnt havr done.

Im not quite getting your point here, presuming you have one.

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

That’s your opinion - I think I’ll stick to what JJ said.

LOL so why start a thread if your mind is closed to discussion?

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

And then the true colours reveal themselves in his last post.

The point being without reading the thread properly you made assumptions due to who the poster is.

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

And then the true colours reveal themselves in his last post. I found that out by reading the thread, which you seem to think I perhaps shouldnt havr done.

Not shouldn’t have done, haven’t done would be closer to what I was saying 

been here before
1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

The point being without reading the thread properly you made assumptions due to who the poster is.

You're utterly making stuff up.

I saw the thread, read it and posted on it. Thats how I know it mentions Jefferies, Cochrane, Levein and Nelson.  :lol:

You've just invented a bizarre wee nonsensical scenatio only you seem to understand.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

You're utterly making stuff up.

I saw the thread, read it and posted on it. Thats how I know it mentions Jefferies, Cochrane, Levein and Nelson.  :lol:

You've just invented a bizarre wee nonsensical scenatio only you seem to understand.

That’ll make 2 of us then 😂😂😂😂

been here before
8 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Not shouldn’t have done, haven’t done would be closer to what I was saying 

4 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

That’ll make 2 of us then 😂😂😂😂

You're having such a nightmare here you're making Thomaso look like Einstein.

The Mercer Takeover

I wish folk would stop clutching at straws with suggestions like Cochrane.

The reason he had been loaned out was because he simply wasn't good enough.

His time may yet come, but I honestly doubt it. Slowest player in Scottish football and by all accounts seems to have attitude problems hampering his progress.

Time to cut and run with him I think.

Edited by The Mercer Takeover

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Gary Naysmith said

”The gaffer hating me passing the ball sideways or backwards. He absolutely frowned upon it. He wanted me to drive forward with the ball and if I couldn’t do that I had to pass it forward. He didn’t like me turning back”.

Great quote, I just wish we could get a wee bit of that drive and passion on show again.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Maroonjam said:

He doesn’t even run about 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Gary Naysmith said

This for me all day, far too much of it in today’s game. 
Roy Keane tells the story of how after his first game for Forest he passed a ball back and they lost a goal, in the dressing afterward Clough decked him and told him never to pass it back again. 
I watched a Brazilian game last weekend and Athletico Mineiro passed its forward at all times, 1-2 touches and pass it to a teammate who are all moving into space to receive the ball. It looked simple. 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

You ain’t the smartest are you 😂😂😂

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

I wish folk would stop clutching at straws with suggestions like Cochrane.

The reason he had been loaned out was because he simply wasn't good enough.

His time may yet come, but I honestly doubt it. Slowest player in Scottish football and by all accounts seems to have attitude problems hampering his progress.

Time to cut and run with him I think.

Said this before. It appears he lacks self development and motivation. That young winger from Rangers who played for ICT and Raith looks like he will make it. That’s how you should be showing when loaned out for development. I don’t think Cochrane has set the heather on fire in any loan spell. He lives on that goal against Celtic. 

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

LOL so why start a thread if your mind is closed to discussion?

We’ve discussed it - I’m going with the opinion of JJ......😉

2 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Great quote, I just wish we could get a wee bit of that drive and passion on show again.

I just wish Budge had brought in JJ instead of Levein - maybe then we would have had an ethos of attacking football ingrained into players at our club rather than the negative tippy tappy around the back we have suffered for the last few years!

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Cheers mate, thanks for that - funnily enough I think your comments make you look like a right “slaver”! 😉

Francis Albert

In the Reminiscing with Legends book JJ and Billy Brown come accross very well in every comment by the legends themselves

and others involved in the game and commentators. I posted before about he got angry at Gary Naysmith when he passed the ball sideways or backwards. God knows what he makes of our lot now. He created a hugely well balanced midfield and indeed team.  His record in developing players is reflected in how many of his squad amassed large numbers of Scotland caps and went on to play at a higher level including Naysmith.

Another feature of the JJ BB team is that they spent a lot of time looking at signing prospects travelling  around the UK and beyond and never relied on videos and internet footage. Character was an essential criterion in choosing players.

I hope Ann pays a lot of attention to his advice.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Yes, and how much more are we paying Halliday?

AllyjamboDerbyshire
5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

This to me has always been an obvious course to take when dealing with a young player, it was something Jock Stein did to perfection. I can remember how he would 'drop' Dalglish and Macari after they'd both scored and been standouts and he'd send them out with the reserves, often causing much anger amongst the supporters. If they hadn't played particularly well they were, at the very least, named as subs. Worked rather well.

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Cochrane has potential but he has lot to prove before he's handed a start again, tbh. Didn't light it up with Dunfermline or Montrose and didn't exactly impress the last few times he's had the chance here.

I heard he was doing quite well at Montrose. 

I was hoping Cochrane would get a chance this season in the Championship. Not necessarily as a regular starter, but a regular coming off the bench. The fact the club punted him out on loan again tells a story that he is obviously just not rated/not good enough. 

21 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I was hoping Cochrane would get a chance this season in the Championship. Not necessarily as a regular starter, but a regular coming off the bench. The fact the club punted him out on loan again tells a story that he is obviously just not rated/not good enough. 

And Halliday and Frear are? Cochran’s hasn’t been given a chance , unlike these two imposters.

Hearts have ruined the laddie Cochrane, played him to young, not ready mentally or physically. Pull him out the first team when it suits them. after all the unmerited hype to fill sports sections of papers they punt him on loan to Dunfermline where he doesn’t get a game. now at Montrose where he can’t last 90 minutes. 
he will end up junior by the time he’s 25 after dropping down the leagues. Just another tale of He nearly made it 

Don’t want to be hard on the boy but if you don’t have pace at 18 you are never going to have it.

it’s not something that can be taught and that’s a fact. 
he clearly lacked a yard of pace and that is being kind