Anyone do the Excursions back in the day ??

haveyouheard1874

haveyouheard1874

Was a kid, done the milk run and after my endeavor all my mere income/tips/skins   went on travelling to see Hearts home/away 

Got the busses at St James Centre

Went to Dumfries and Montrose and a few others which were unknown to me at the time ,, what an eye opener as a 14/15yr old

Drink, cards, some naughty songs, even lifted once, only kicked out thankfully 

Ah oh to be a youth again and sadly most of the time Hearts were rotten, never put me off,, no sense of entitlement back then just the game and the next one to appear, even midweek at times 

Hopefully some others were with me  in those days gone by 

Edited by haveyouheard1874

1 minute ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

Was a kid, done the milk run and after my endeavor all my mere income/tips/skins   went on travelling to see Hearts home/away 

Went to Dumfries and Montrose and a few others which were unknown to me at the time ,, what an eye opener as a 14/15yr old

Ah oh to be a youth again and sadly most of the time Hearts were rotten, never put me off,, no sense of entitlement back then just the game and the next one to appear, even midweek at times 

Hopefully some others were with me back then

I was more a football special lad. 

haveyouheard1874
Just now, davemclaren said:

I was more a football special lad. 

Didny have the cash then and TBH never crossed my mind Re the chuff chuff

Though my Dad took me to Hearts Dabs semi final on the train (74) and the Derek Renton equaliser (72 and the replay on the bus) all games could have scarred a nipper no me i thrived on it 

ginger jambo98

Loved the away days with the SCAB Hearts bus in the late 70s, then the Manor bus in the early 80s. Totally different to away days now. Used to be 30 odd buses even in the days when we were, frankly, sh1te !

haveyouheard1874
1 minute ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Loved the away days with the SCAB Hearts bus in the late 70s, then the Manor bus in the early 80s. Totally different to away days now. Used to be 30 odd buses even in the days when we were, frankly, sh1te !

I used to count them and sometimes there was  more

Our away support back then was amazing at times  and as you say even when we were guff

ginger jambo98
3 minutes ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

I used to count them and sometimes there was  more

Our away support back then was amazing at times  and as you say even when we were guff

Yeah, think there was 50+ Buses in 78 when we played Arbroath to clinch promotion. Halcyon days.

haveyouheard1874

I was working in WL and a girl fae the work who i was dating  invited me to attend a Hearts celtic game at PH  and use the Livingston bus, think it was a Cup game

Saying that this would be in the early to mid 80's..Packed double decker.Songs all they way through, the driver even slowed down as wee passed a celtic pub/club and all hell broke loose.after was something else..sure a few on the bus were lifted

What a day and time.. sorry for getting carried away had a few 

FTH

Fxxx the SPFL

supporters buses for me from early seventies too many games to recount but i'll give it a bash Texaco Cup away games Fulham, Wolves, Oldham, friendly games in England, Southampton 76, Middlesboro, Rotherham, Derby, Berwick a few times. European games Bologna, Braga, Bordeaux, Zelzinicar, Tottenham, Liverpool. Top guy is Frankie Morton he's travelled to more Hearts away games than anyone i believe. Hard to believe that my late auld man and grandfather were Hibbies but i saw the light when my dads first house was a tenement in Wheatfield Place and as they say the rest is history.  

haveyouheard1874
7 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Yeah, think there was 50+ Buses in 78 when we played Arbroath to clinch promotion. Halcyon days.

I was at that game sure we had at least  7k athe game well for me anyway 

My standing memory was seeing a poor copper take a bottle from a packed terrace ,,chaos from the off

Used to go to away games when I was a kid on an Oxgangs bus, just a minibus, must have been the early 80's cannot remember much about the games as I was still in primary school. 

Remember the old specials with the horrible coaches and deltics, good times.. 

haveyouheard1874
Just now, **** the SPFL said:

supporters buses for me from early seventies too many games to recount but i'll give it a bash Texaco Cup away games Fulham, Wolves, Oldham, friendly games in England, Southampton 76, Middlesboro, Rotherham, Derby, Berwick a few times. European games Bologna, Braga, Bordeaux, Zelzinicar, Tottenham, Liverpool. Top guy is Frankie Morton he's travelled to more Hearts away games than anyone i believe. Hard to believe that my late auld man and grandfather were Hibbies but i saw the light when my dads first house was a tenement in Wheatfield Place and as they say the rest is history.  

Brilliant mate 

haveyouheard1874

When we were at Liverpool i was getting 2 tickets off a former Hearts player and the Steward at the door told me the Hearts fans ran a riot in the Texaco Cup game(75) said they never seen it coming. I was at Newcastle and even as a kid seen some shit,,changed days eh 
(right or wrong i may add) ah oh to reminisce🙃

My first away game was Brockville on the Rainbow Hearts bus. I was too young to bevvy but the songs sung on it set my path in life

:gok:

Edited by i8hibsh

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Bevvy, naughty songs, smiling, singing, pride and youth.....sign me up!!!

best away days better atmosphere mostly because the punters were half pished lol. i remember a scottish cup tie at Dumfries big crowd 12000 some local birds in the end behind the goals and at half time i saw some jambos doing a twirlie with bras.

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

To be fair 'Rainbow Hearts' is the name of the new innovation project by Budge.

You just couldn’t resist it...

haveyouheard1874
Just now, **** the SPFL said:

best away days better atmosphere mostly because the punters were half pished lol. i remember a scottish cup tie at Dumfries big crowd 12000 some local birds in the end behind the goals and at half time i saw some jambos doing a twirlie with bras.

If that was the Cup game my mate snecked a local and missed the bus back home lol

Kids nowadays need a good old fashioned 1980s early 90s away day trip on a pub bus to shit holes like Cappielow, Douglas Park and Killbowie. That will sort them out.

SectionDJambo

It was fun to travel all over on a supporters bus. Then when I passed my driving test, by car, with the odd train trip to Aberdeen, Perth, Glasgow and Dundee.

Great days, and usually plenty of us there too.

haveyouheard1874
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Kids nowadays need a good old fashioned 1980s early 90s away day trip on a pub bus to shit holes like Cappielow, Douglas Park and Killbowie. That will sort them out.

Oh Kilbowie,, scenes

Made the papers but not as much did the Killie game when we stayed down 

Fxxx the SPFL

If that was the Cup game my mate snecked a local and missed the bus back home lol

lucky guy, another game down there midweek we drew 3-3 our bus broke down leaving palmerston ended up in a boozer called the hole in the wall until a replacement bus arrived after midnight

quockerwodgerjambo
7 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Palmerston Park. First time i was there was maybe 1981, Hearts end was fighting amongst each other. After the game two girls flashed at me sitting in the back seat of my Dads car, he claimed they were flashing at him. Soon found out it was me when i rolled down the window and got a kiss off one of them.

Great days.

Edited by quockerwodgerjambo

Fxxx the SPFL

it used to be a nightmare after away games in the old days trying to find your supporters bus apart from there being loads you usually got dropped off in a different place from where you were getting picked up good laugh though

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

The Rainbow is now an Indian restaurant

:sob:

won a few awards i believe

haveyouheard1874
4 minutes ago, quockerwodgerjambo said:

Palmerston Park. First time i was there was maybe 1981, Hearts end was fighting amongst each other. After the game two girls flashed at me in the back seat of my Dads car, he claimed they were flashing at him. Soon found out it was me when i rolled down the window and got a kiss of one of them.

Great days.

Aye .. that was Hearts fans fighting what i was told after against Livi Hearts fans .. i was there and  watched the Hearts  end split in 2  then KO  from the stand ..few lifted 

43 minutes ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

Hopefully some others were with me  in those days gone by 

What a brilliant memory. An early start on a Saturday helping deliveries on a Milanda Bread van at 

SIGHTHILL 4 O Clock start.rushing home to get my Hearts scarf then getting the 22 bus to St Andrews Square.The journeys used to take ages but always had a big away support. I even remember stopping for chips coming back from Falkirk ,it must have been in linlithgow or Blackburn I think

Happy Days

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, quockerwodgerjambo said:

Palmerston Park. First time i was there was maybe 1981, Hearts end was fighting amongst each other. After the game two girls flashed at me in the back seat of my Dads car, he claimed they were flashing at him. Soon found out it was me when i rolled down the window and got a kiss of one of them.

Great days.

if only you knew what your knob was for !!!! only joking

2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

won a few awards i believe

Aye it is nice like but I prefer the shithole that was there before.

I loved that pub

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Aye it is nice like but I prefer the shithole that was there before.

I loved that pub

did somebody not get shot in the car park years ago friendly place

quockerwodgerjambo
8 minutes ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

Aye .. that was Hearts fans fighting what i was told after against Livi Hearts fans .. i was there and  watched the Hearts  end split in 2  then KO  from the stand ..few lifted 

Spot on.

quockerwodgerjambo
6 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

if only you knew what your knob was for !!!! only joking

I was 15-16 , already knew a few moves by then...

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, quockerwodgerjambo said:

I was 15-16 , already knew a few moves by then...

good one you'll be over the hill now 😄

haveyouheard1874

A good mate of mime, honest, got lifted at Killie

The police told him that some Hearts fans wrecked a boozer way before the game as in 11.30am and some coppers coppers in tow  were pushed out the way when appearing  and all Hearts were fair game after the event, also police forces from further afield were called in to help .Result  Marroon maroons headlines in the Sundays Mail the next day and 65 arrests with some being remanded for crimes such as BOTP

I was never devoted to one bus.  Started going on away trips in the 80s

Busy Bee Hearts, Luckies, BMC, Ardmillan, Hearts own buses.....sometimes someone took the motor. 

Just missed out on the colourful late 70s, early 80s (too young)but heard all the stories.

I really started going away around the mid to late 80s although I was going to home matches well before that. I was still going to the odd away match in the 90s even though I’d started playing football again. 

Can remember some hairy moments but funny ones too. Funniest one was Dens around 88, 89..... Hearts Casuals pushed down a fence in the stadium while trying to get at Dundee fans. It caused a lot of other fans to become restless and at half time, some Hearts fans came out the main stand and tried to run on the pitch to get in the end behind the goals. 

A rather plump policeman tried to catch a young Hearts fan who’d got on the pitch but his legs crumbled and he fell flat on his coupon....much to the joy of the thousands of other JTs looking on. 😂

Fxxx the SPFL

A good mate of mime, honest, got lifted at Killie

The police told him that some Hearts fans wrecked a boozer way before the game as in 11.30am and some coppers coppers in tow  were pushed out the way when appearing  and all Hearts were fair game after the event, also police forces from further afield were called in to help .Result  Marroon maroons headlines in the Sundays Mail the next day and 65 arrests with some being remanded for crimes such as BOTP

i went to that game with Last Furlong bus (now Murrayfield Sports Bar) didn't recognise some of the lads on the bus but saw some putting on balaclavas when we got off at Rugby Park the bus was not full on the return trip

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I was never devoted to one bus.  Started going on away trips in the 80s

Busy Bee Hearts, Luckies, BMC, Ardmillan, Hearts own buses.....sometimes someone took the motor. 

Just missed out on the colourful late 70s, early 80s (too young)but heard all the stories.

I really started going away around the mid to late 80s although I was going to home matches well before that. I was still going to the odd away match in the 90s even though I’d started playing football again. 

Can remember some hairy moments but funny ones too. Funniest one was Dens around 88, 89..... Hearts Casuals pushed down a fence in the stadium while trying to get at Dundee fans. It caused a lot of other fans to become restless and at half time, some Hearts fans came out the main stand and tried to run on the pitch to get in the end behind the goals. 

A rather plump policeman tried to catch a young Hearts fan who’d got on the pitch but his legs crumbled and he fell flat on his coupon....much to the joy of the thousands of other JTs looking on. 😂

brilliant don't know if you remember the Hearts Celtic game at Tynie when Jose Quitongo scored the late equaliser and the place went mental fans on the pitch etc. Sky had a thing called sky eye in the crowd i think and it focused in on a cop trying to grab a Hearts fan and the cop slipped on his arse.

haveyouheard1874
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

brilliant don't know if you remember the Hearts Celtic game at Tynie when Jose Quitongo scored the late equaliser and the place went mental fans on the pitch etc. Sky had a thing called sky eye in the crowd i think and it focused in on a cop trying to grab a Hearts fan and the cop slipped on his arse.

I missed the goal had left but the scenes outside were mental as well

This posh weegie celtic gadgey started shouting at the hearts fans who started singing  and i seen two other hooped ****s who joined in.. take a smack

Got better when one daft Hearts chap asked him if he wanted it as well as he quickly walked away

No right at times but **** it shit happens 

1 hour ago, ginger jambo98 said:

I was on the SCAB Hearts bus that day. Used it get on it at Saunders street, Stockbridge.

Started travelling to see Hearts in 77 and so glad that my teenage years were based around away bus culture.  Brilliant days in lots of places.  A great way to grow up.  

quockerwodgerjambo
47 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

good one you'll be over the hill now 😄

Dunno about that, i can still dash a bit.

Started away trips at 15 back in 87. Feck me. Morton to this day in the snow still haunts. All ended up crammed into the covered end and never seen a thing.  

My first away game was November 2002. Junior Jambos away down at Kilmarnock. Bus was £6 a head plus match ticket which wasn't to be sniffed at. We won 1-0, with MdV scoring the goal. Wilfried Ouefiou (sp) on the bench. I managed to dupe some of our fans into thinking it was Quitongo on the bench. Sorry lads.

haveyouheard1874

My first  trip to Aberdeen was around 73 bus stayed late like 12 bells  as the the Kids waited for the parents to return to the bus

Wee got the Pics after the game  and allowed to roam free  with some extra pocket money in tow for a scran  

Imagine that now I was like 10 

Used  to love the away games -  drinking pomagne  and play 3 card brag on the train football special.

Better still was the buses, Pivot, Centurion or Manor etc - mental days.

3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

did somebody not get shot in the car park years ago friendly place

I mind hearing of a few stabbings but not a shooting.