Lionel Messi: red card for Barcelona

HMFC01

Just got sent off in the Spanish super cup.    Elbow., straight red.   

As far as I know it's his first. 

Although I saw a piece that said he got sent off in 2017 in another super cup match, it was 2 yellows.   Apart from that he's only ever received 2 red cards at international level. 

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/01/17/video-disgraceful-scenes-from-lionel-messi-as-hes-given-a-straight-red-for-violent-conduct-as-barca-lose-to-athletic-bilbao/

"There’s a tangle off the ball but he clearly loses his temper and lashes out at the Bilbao player, so the ref had little choice but to send him off after the VAR review:" 

Edited by HMFC01

AlphonseCapone

I don't see much in it tbh, Atletico player looks like he's trying to body block him, makes an arse of it and they tangle and he falls, but it's too far away for a good view. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't see much in it tbh, Atletico player looks like he's trying to body block him, makes an arse of it and they tangle and he falls, but it's too far away for a good view. 

Yeah it's not the greatest replay for viewing.   I had to zoom in on my phone.   Looks like he swung a fist or forearm onto the guys head.    VAR must have seen something.   That or they just thought he's past it now, who will care ☺ 

28 minutes ago, Barack said:

Has he had many in his career?

Can't think of many. He's an angry wee man, and sly with it. Gets away with a lot.

Great player though of course, etc, etc...

It's his first ever red card for Barcelona as far I am lead to believe on a quick search.   He got two red cards for Argentina.   One back in 2005, then recently 2019.

So he's done quite well.   It's the reason I posted it. 

34 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Sure he got sent off after a tangle with Vidal for Argentina once.

2019.   Looks harsh.   Just standing his ground.   Although he incited it with a slight push  ::troll::

Edited by HMFC01

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

Just got sent off in the Spanish super cup.    Elbow., straight red.   

As far as I know it's his first. 

Although I saw a piece that said he got sent off in 2017 in another super cup match, it was 2 yellows.   Apart from that he's only ever received 2 red cards at international level. 

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/01/17/video-disgraceful-scenes-from-lionel-messi-as-hes-given-a-straight-red-for-violent-conduct-as-barca-lose-to-athletic-bilbao/

"There’s a tangle off the ball but he clearly loses his temper and lashes out at the Bilbao player, so the ref had little choice but to send him off after the VAR review:" 

Never seen him so ratty and frustrated as he’s been this season. It’s not quite happening for him for various reasons.  Not like him to rise to the bait. He threw his arms up in despair when Braithwaite shot instead of cutting it back a few weeks ago, never seen him do that with a teammate. 

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

2019.   Looks harsh.   Just standing his ground.   Although he incited it with a slight push  ::troll::

Ridiculous sending off 🙈

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

More the intent than the contact. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Stephane Grappelli

Long overdue and thoroughly deserved. A nasty, petulant little cheat who does stuff like that nearly every game and gets away with it. Usually he gets a free kick in his favour like in the game against Liverpool a couple of years ago.  He ended up scoring from it but fortunately justice was done at Anfield in the second leg when Liverpool absolutely destroyed them.

The only surprise this time is that a ref actually had the balls to send him off. Usually he has a sneaky punch or kick at an opponent and the commentators trot out the old "he's not that kind of player" line despite the fact he does something like it every other match.

Stephane Grappelli
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Never seen him so ratty and frustrated as he’s been this season. It’s not quite happening for him for various reasons.  Not like him to rise to the bait. He threw his arms up in despair when Braithwaite shot instead of cutting it back a few weeks ago, never seen him do that with a teammate. 

He moans at teammates all the time but nothing is made of it. Contrast that with other greats like Naismith or even Ronaldo and the media like to highlight it and suggest that they have an ego and Messi doesn't. Nothing could be further from the truth.

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

More the intent than the contact. 

Gace him a bit of a rabbit puch to backof the head IMO

Deserved red.

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

He moans at teammates all the time but nothing is made of it. Contrast that with other greats like Naismith or even Ronaldo and the media like to highlight it and suggest that they have an ego and Messi doesn't. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I know you're being sarcastic but last season Naismith battered a ball out for a goal kick and blamed the winger for not catching it 😂

Stephane Grappelli
25 minutes ago, Gone said:

I know you're being sarcastic but last season Naismith battered a ball out for a goal kick and blamed the winger for not catching it 😂

Yes. As I say though, Naismith rightly gets called out on it. Messi treats teammates, opponents and referees like shit when things are going against him but "he's not that type of player apparently". 

It really gets my goat/grinds my gears/ boils my piss.

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Yes. As I say though, Naismith rightly gets called out on it. Messi treats teammates, opponents and referees like shit when things are going against him but "he's not that type of player apparently". 

Only so much carrying one can do. I think he's more pissed at the board and I don't think many could blame him for that.

Stephane Grappelli
5 minutes ago, Gone said:

Only so much carrying one can do. I think he's more pissed at the board and I don't think many could blame him for that.

He's definitely more pissed off this season but the stuff I'm talking about he's been doing, and getting away with, for years. Sly little punches, stamps and kicks at opponents but nothing done other than the occasional yellow card. 

17 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Dirty player. Understandable Neilson has cooled interest..

too wee

too old

no sell-on value

In Robbie we trust

I feel sorry for Messi. Should change his surname to Ramos, then he would receive all those Red cards he has deserved over the years.

On 18/01/2021 at 00:29, Pasquale for King said:

Bless, I hope he's coping ok.

Stephane Grappelli

Two game ban but Messi and Barcelona are appealing it, despite the fact he rabbit punched the guy in the back of the head and the normal sanction would be at least three games. Neil Lennon and Rudy Giuliani say that Barça have a good case.

Stephane Grappelli
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

Saucer of milk for table 2 Madridistas! 

:lol: 

At least you're not adding misogynist this time.  Remind me, where was your evidence for that?

:biglaugh:

6 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Slow motion replay, zoomed in at a better angle.

A terrible red card decision. 

On 18/01/2021 at 11:03, Stephane Grappelli said:

He takes them to glory most of the time. So you can't have it both ways. 

How's your old player's team getting on in Italy? Paid any more women off lately? 

Edited by ri Alban

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He takes them to glory most of the time. So you can't have it both ways. 

How's your old player's team getting on in Italy? Paid any more women off lately? 

Wow...

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m sure this cheered the wee man up 😆😂
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55722360

I was going to respond saying they don't do well in the copa del rey.   I will quote this from your link. 

"Real are 19-time winners of the Copa del Rey, but have not lifted it for seven years and have only won it twice since 1993.

Incredibly, this is the fifth time a team from the third tier has eliminated them since 2001."

Shocking ☺.    Their obsession with the champions league continues. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Will be overturned. 

He got a two game ban.  The first is the copa del rey on Thursday, then v elche in the league.    Bringing his return to playing versus :drummer:

Athletic Bilbao on 31st January.   At the Camp Nou.    I wouldn't mind watching that. ☺ 

Stephane Grappelli

Real Madrid's record in the Copa Del Rey has been pony for years, apart from some exceptions like 2011 and 2014 when they beat Barcelona in the final.

It's definitely not a shock and certainly not as much of a shock as Scott Brown and the Scott Brown of Barça finally being sent off while playing for their respective clubs within a few days of each other.

29 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Real Madrid's record in the Copa Del Rey has been pony for years, apart from some exceptions like 2011 and 2014 when they beat Barcelona in the final.

It's definitely not a shock and certainly not as much of a shock as Scott Brown and the Scott Brown of Barça finally being sent off while playing for their respective clubs within a few days of each other.

Still proud of them though. 

:rofl: 

Stephane Grappelli
28 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Still proud of them though. 

:rofl: 

Are you stalking me Desmundo?  It's flattering but a bit creepy at the same time.

:robboyas:

On 18/01/2021 at 13:00, Mikey1874 said:

How many times during games have we all seen players going down like the proverbial sack o' tatties and then rolling around clutching their face in agony after having been brushed with someone's pinkie on their shoulder? The only person not getting up during the above rammy is a coach who takes a sair yin.

This takes the biscuit for play-acting ...

... and this 'un is a straight 10 points from all 3 judges for sheer effort.

16 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

How many times during games have we all seen players going down like the proverbial sack o' tatties and then rolling around clutching their face in agony after having been brushed with someone's pinkie on their shoulder? The only person not getting up during the above rammy is a coach who takes a sair yin.

This takes the biscuit for play-acting ...

... and this 'un is a straight 10 points from all 3 judges for sheer effort.

Its awful. Look at Sergio Lennon Ramos diving here.....

Pasquale for King

I was going to respond saying they don't do well in the copa del rey.   I will quote this from your link. 

"Real are 19-time winners of the Copa del Rey, but have not lifted it for seven years and have only won it twice since 1993.

Incredibly, this is the fifth time a team from the third tier has eliminated them since 2001."

Shocking ☺.    Their obsession with the champions league continues. 

I think only Courtois and Ramos were missing and neither are that great these days.
They’ve not won the league much either recently.

Obsession or not there’s no way this team are winning this years CL. 
New manager and major surgery required on the squad. 

Pasquale for King

He got a two game ban.  The first is the copa del rey on Thursday, then v elche in the league.    Bringing his return to playing versus :drummer:

Athletic Bilbao on 31st January.   At the Camp Nou.    I wouldn't mind watching that. ☺ 

I don’t think he made much contact but it’s the intent and the video where you see his fist clenched shows he meant to hit the guy. 
That should be a good and feisty game. 

Stephane Grappelli

In defence of the wee man, it's not actually surprising that he cheats so much when you consider that he plays for the Celtic of Spain. A club which could give even the green and white monsters a lesson in being offended by everything, embarrassed by nothing and thinking the rules don't apply to them. Ronald Koeman has just come out publicly and told his players to dive, as if to underline my point. 

Hope folk don't mind me bringing this thread back on topic. We've had a poster mentioning Real Madrid, others mentioning Ramos and one of them was also trying to carry over an unrelated discussion from another thread. More faces than the town clock that character, very troubling behaviour indeed.