Jump to content

Irving get him signed


wattie exploited

Recommended Posts

StirlingJambo

If we lose Andy for nothing at end of season it will be one major screw up. He’s getting the experience he needs right now and will only get better. Give him a 5 year contract and big wage so we can actually make money on one of our promising youth players in the future for once ( Hickey aside)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Smith's right boot

    77

  • Bongo 1874

    70

  • A_A wehatethehibs

    69

  • ToqueJambo

    61

Maple Leaf

He's exactly the kind of young player we want in our team, and he has impeccable Jambo credentials.

 

It's important to keep him at HMFC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Zen Jambo

I’d be gutted, and angry if Irving doesn’t stay here for a while yet. 
 

For a lad of 20 he’s our best (or will be) player. A subjective statement, yes, but from what I’ve seen and listened to he’s head and shoulders above the rest in attitude, aptitude, and with a very bright future. 

I would go as far as we should be building the team round him. 
 

Getting pen to paper would be are most vital signing for next year and the hopeful return to the top flight. He’s just one of about 5 players that could play as top 3/4 prem team from our current squad. 
 

Hyperbole in this post? I dunno, I can’t predict the future. But I will stick my neck out and say Andy Irving is a very important player for us. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
cosanostra

Him, Kingsley and Ginelly have been the only bright spots of this shitty season. Would be a real kick in the nuts if he left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
StevenNaismith

Heard he’s turned down two offers but wants to stay. We are doing our usual with academy players, low offers don’t work when a kid knows his worth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
34 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Him, Kingsley and Ginelly have been the only bright spots of this shitty season. Would be a real kick in the nuts if he left.

Aye, get him signed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Heard he’s turned down two offers but wants to stay. We are doing our usual with academy players, low offers don’t work when a kid knows his worth. 

Thats a bit silly, I thought the instigator of the strategy had left the building.

 

We need to make the lad a offer comparable with his talent rather than where he came from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
StevenNaismith
7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Thats a bit silly, I thought the instigator of the strategy had left the building.

 

We need to make the lad a offer comparable with his talent rather than where he came from.

Correct. I believe he will sign a new contract, it’s gonna cost us more than we want to pay though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
53 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Correct. I believe he will sign a new contract, it’s gonna cost us more than we want to pay though.

 

Will be worth it. We will not be able to sign someone comparable with same ability, potential and sell on value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy is ambitious to go abroad where the style of football would suit him better. The only reason to stay here is that he loves Hearts. But, he knows his worth and Hearts will need to match it to have a chance. We’ve been prepared to pay much more for guys contributing less and with no sell on value. That has to stop. As an aside he’s been poorly rewarded all along compared with some of the young players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamhammer
7 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Andy is ambitious to go abroad where the style of football would suit him better. The only reason to stay here is that he loves Hearts. But, he knows his worth and Hearts will need to match it to have a chance. We’ve been prepared to pay much more for guys contributing less and with no sell on value. That has to stop. As an aside he’s been poorly rewarded all along compared with some of the young players.

He only has to look at Hickey to see the possibilities and there’s a major resurgence in young Scottish players becoming successful down south.

Id like to keep him but it’s a short career

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

Correct. I believe he will sign a new contract, it’s gonna cost us more than we want to pay though.

Theres a line players cross in type 9f contract offer at 18-21yo imo.

 

There are Henderson, Brandon, Moore contracts where its another shot to see if they make it (and they'll be lucky to find another club even close to our level). And there's tying a guy down because he's proven he has it; if we don't do it, a rival will.

 

Andy is firmly in the second camp. To me, that means an offer commensurate with other established players in the team, if not the likes of Naismith, certainly Halkett types.

 

It feels to me we've not always grasped that. We seem to stick to "this is what you get offered at this stage". We've done it with a few. Holt and Nicholson spring to mind, but I could be wrong.

 

As others have said, Andy is a type to build a team around. Make sure we have players around him to help. We have Ginelly and GMS to find with passes, Boyce and Naismith who are great at finding pockets of space, Smith and Kingsley, both great playing and receiving. His midfield enforcer is final piece. Hopefully Haring regains his old game. Fair enough he hasn't yet, but in flashes.

 

The club also shouldn't undervalue the importance of having one of our own (in all senses) as a big part of the team. The fans love it, its great exposure for the academy and frankly, signing someone of similar standard would either be beyond us or cost us way more than even a great deal (no signing on fee etc)

Link to post
Share on other sites
sandylejambo

I do hope we're not putting insulting offers in front of the lad, he'll be a great player one day, even now he's one of our better ones and saying he worth less than some of the dross we have at the club is not a good look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

I do hope we're not putting insulting offers in front of the lad, he'll be a great player one day, even now he's one of our better ones and saying he worth less than some of the dross we have at the club is not a good look.

 

He is still only 20 years old and has a lot of potential which we should be keeping here because it is with us he has developed and it would be a shame to lose him.

 

As you say I hope we are not making him insulting offers and trying to keep himon the cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
wattie exploited

get rid of damour then you would be able to afford a better contract for Andy Irving easily its a win win :rifle:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Ok Mr Savage, get the 'Portobello Pirlo' signed asap he is the quality we require when we move up to the SPL.

 

There will be a lot of debris to shift, but lets concentrate on what we need to keep to move forward.


We need to drop this “Porty Pirlo” rubbish - the young lad hates it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

get rid of damour then you would be able to afford a better contract for Andy Irving easily its a win win :rifle:


We can’t just get rid - he has a contract - who would take him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I realise we are ultimately a business and we need to be shrewd as much as possible but I think Irving has shown his worth and needs to be paid accordingly.

 

Give him what he wants money wise but make sure the length of contract is one that should see us make a return when another clubs wants to buy him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
32 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I realise we are ultimately a business and we need to be shrewd as much as possible but I think Irving has shown his worth and needs to be paid accordingly.

 

Give him what he wants money wise but make sure the length of contract is one that should see us make a return when another clubs wants to buy him.

We exist in a market where Irving has a value to us and other clubs and we might not be able, or willing, to pay what he wants. There might be other clubs who are willing, and able, to pay him more but whether he wants to move there is his choice. 
 

Hope he stays as he looks very decent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

We exist in a market where Irving has a value to us and other clubs and we might not be able, or willing, to pay what he wants. There might be other clubs who are willing, and able, to pay him more but whether he wants to move there is his choice. 
 

Hope he stays as he looks very decent. 


I think we’re slap bang in the middle of a time where players are going to be less keen to change their home surroundings....especially to a team abroad. There is too much uncertainty and unrest at the moment.

 

Edinburgh is a decent spot to be stuck and we need to play on that a bit.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think he’s underrated by hearts fans and definitely in Scotland. Only 20 still. Think is just as good as Hickey. Had great games against Rangers and Aberdeen so done it at higher level than championship 
 

He’ll continue to develop physically and mentally. Hopefully improve understanding of game and grow even more confident. 
 

Think he could definitely get a move to top European league in the future and get Scotland caps


Lets get a 5 years deal sorted asap

 

Edited by R1874
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

thought Irvine was great today hardly makes a bad pass also what a goal he doesn't score tap ins   really hope we get him signed up as he is probably the best passer off a ball in the team :rifle: 

Absolutely this .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

We exist in a market where Irving has a value to us and other clubs and we might not be able, or willing, to pay what he wants. There might be other clubs who are willing, and able, to pay him more but whether he wants to move there is his choice. 
 

Hope he stays as he looks very decent. 


Better than “decent” IMO Dave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Last Laff

At more people are waking up to what was staring them in the puss.  Sure he will stay if we play him instead journeymen jokers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3
8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Correct. I believe he will sign a new contract, it’s gonna cost us more than we want to pay though.

I think for this one,think of all the money you have wasted and treat it like you're buying  some injury prone journeyman with utter abandon. 

Edited by Riccarton3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

We can’t just get rid - he has a contract - who would take him?

Even if a club comes in to take him, we will probably have to give him a pay off too.

Hope not, but a good possibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo

He doesn't score ugly goals that's for sure. If anyone is worth a gamble of a wage rise and longer contract it's him. Best "silky midfielder" youth prospect since Gary Mackay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3

Ffs the other element of this is he plays for us. We get the benefit of his play. Get it done , Hearts

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3

The shite we have prospected with makes you shiver. Often with evidence suggesting it was a big leap of faith. Here we have home grown quality, the real deal. I realise we'll have a %age we won't usually consider going over but it had to have some elasticity in this case

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

At more people are waking up to what was staring them in the puss.  Sure he will stay if we play him instead journeymen jokers. 

 

That's bound to help and we have nothing to lose by doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Clerry Jambo

He’s a lad that plays with his head up and lovely passer of a ball ( obviously a leftie!! )

 

No brainer to get this boy signed up and then a strong character to play alongside him in the middle 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mister Dee

Anybody actually know him, or know what’s going on with contract offers for him?

seems to be the usual speculation and supposition from Kickback. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hungry hippo
19 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Anybody actually know him, or know what’s going on with contract offers for him?

seems to be the usual speculation and supposition from Kickback. 

 

Takis seems to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thomaso said:


We need to drop this “Porty Pirlo” rubbish - the young lad hates it!

The Joppa Jim Bett then? (that's who he remind me of, by the way, the head up all the time, the first touch always in to space so he looks like he always has time, the left wand, his picture of team mates' movement).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2021 at 18:16, The Merse said:

Seems to have a few detractors on here and I’ve never understood why.

 

The lad is a player.

 

I'm guessing that the detractors don't have anything against him as a player but it's more a reaction to the fact that on JKB players are either the best thing since sliced bread or utter pony!

 

Where I'm at is that he has the potential to be a very good player but currently he's inconsistent, one minute playing a pass nobody else could or scoring a screamer from distance and the next losing concentration and giving the ball away. His tackling and tracking back also need a lot of work. 

 

As for folk saying to give the boy 3/4k a week, he'd need to be performing week in week out for that to happen imho

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ribble said:

 

I'm guessing that the detractors don't have anything against him as a player but it's more a reaction to the fact that on JKB players are either the best thing since sliced bread or utter pony!

 

Where I'm at is that he has the potential to be a very good player but currently he's inconsistent, one minute playing a pass nobody else could or scoring a screamer from distance and the next losing concentration and giving the ball away. His tackling and tracking back also need a lot of work. 

 

As for folk saying to give the boy 3/4k a week, he'd need to be performing week in week out for that to happen imho


Agree with this. He definitely deserves a new deal and the club agree with this also. The just pay him what he wants nonsense is laughable though and just end up with the club over paying. His deal should certainly be incentivised though where he earns very good money for continued progress and regular first team appearances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ribble said:

 

I'm guessing that the detractors don't have anything against him as a player but it's more a reaction to the fact that on JKB players are either the best thing since sliced bread or utter pony!

 

Where I'm at is that he has the potential to be a very good player but currently he's inconsistent, one minute playing a pass nobody else could or scoring a screamer from distance and the next losing concentration and giving the ball away. His tackling and tracking back also need a lot of work. 

 

As for folk saying to give the boy 3/4k a week, he'd need to be performing week in week out for that to happen imho


So we let him go to a club that will offer him 3/4K a week! 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:


So we let him go to a club that will offer him 3/4K a week! 😏

 

With regret then if we have to, yes. I just can't see where the club can pay out that kind of money to a 20 year old that's commanded a start 55% of the time in the championship and that's where I agree with Daza that any deal has to be a lower basic with incentives if he plays every week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
A_A wehatethehibs

There is unfinished business for him in terms of Hearts in the Premiership so I would be astounded if he doesn’t sign. He owes it to himself to show what he can do in Scotlands top division in the maroon colour that suits him so well. We’ve had some great lefties over the years, Dave MacKay, Steve Fulton, Rudi Skacel. Next season, what an unbelievably good opportunity for him to be the divisions surprise package and announce himself. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ccjambo1874

There is always that reality that he maybe doesn't want to sign anything until we're guaranteed to go back up. Much like the Kingsley situation. If you're good enough you wouldn't want to risk penning a deal to play below the level you could of been at. Patience required. A good few wins in this tough run coming up and I'm sure we'll see something signed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
A_A wehatethehibs
26 minutes ago, Ribble said:

 

With regret then if we have to, yes. I just can't see where the club can pay out that kind of money to a 20 year old that's commanded a start 55% of the time in the championship and that's where I agree with Daza that any deal has to be a lower basic with incentives if he plays every week.


As of right now he commands a start 100% of the time. Neilson has dropped him a couple of times for Haring, and on one occasion he was out with a concussion. But 11 games in now, we’ve had a look at a few combinations, Irving-Halliday has come out on top as the clear first choice partnership irrespective of whether lee had stayed or left. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

 

With regret then if we have to, yes. I just can't see where the club can pay out that kind of money to a 20 year old that's commanded a start 55% of the time in the championship and that's where I agree with Daza that any deal has to be a lower basic with incentives if he plays every week.

 

What do you think Lewis Ferguson earns at Aberdeen where he has been since he was 18. He is still only 21 and contracted until May 2024.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:


As of right now he commands a start 100% of the time. Neilson has dropped him a couple of times for Haring, and on one occasion he was out with a concussion. But 11 games in now, we’ve had a look at a few combinations, Irving-Halliday has come out on top as the clear first choice partnership irrespective of whether lee had stayed or left. 

 

 

 

 

 

I totally agree although I believe that initially Robbie thought his first choice centre mid pairing would be Haring and Halliday but Haring's relatively poor form and lack of match fitness scuppered that plan.

 

Irving has shown that we are a better team when he plays so we should be doing all we possibly can to ensure that we keep Irving

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

 

I totally agree although I believe that initially Robbie thought his first choice centre mid pairing would be Haring and Halliday but Haring's relatively poor form and lack of match fitness scuppered that plan.

 

Irving has shown that we are a better team when he plays so we should be doing all we possibly can to ensure that we keep Irving

You have to wonder at Neilson's judgement sometimes with his omission at Dundee

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

 

What do you think Lewis Ferguson earns at Aberdeen where he has been since he was 18. He is still only 21 and contracted until May 2024.

 

Seeing as he's been an established starter (86%) in the Premiership with a goal involvement of 37% for Aberdeen for 3 seasons i'd guess he's on more than a player starting 55% of games in the championship with a 15% goal involvement in his 2nd full season in the first team squad. In summary a crap comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:


As of right now he commands a start 100% of the time. Neilson has dropped him a couple of times for Haring, and on one occasion he was out with a concussion. But 11 games in now, we’ve had a look at a few combinations, Irving-Halliday has come out on top as the clear first choice partnership irrespective of whether lee had stayed or left. 

 

 

 

 

 

Starting 4 out of the last 5 isn't commanding a start, I like Irving but he's not anywhere near commanding a start YET but he might well do that going forward

Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil D. Corners
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

 

I totally agree although I believe that initially Robbie thought his first choice centre mid pairing would be Haring and Halliday but Haring's relatively poor form and lack of match fitness scuppered that plan.

 

Irving has shown that we are a better team when he plays so we should be doing all we possibly can to ensure that we keep Irving


This. 
 

Irving has always had to battle his way in to the team ahead more ‘senior’ players. He had work to get in Levein’s team, then McPhee’s, then Stendal’s, and now Robbies.  He’s plays well in one game only for a senior player to get a nod in the next game. 
 

Irving needs game time in men’s football to get better and this should be the factor in signing the contract. If Robbie/Hearts don’t trust him as first team starter then why stick around. He won’t improve on the bench or in reserve games. 

 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

 

Starting 4 out of the last 5 isn't commanding a start, I like Irving but he's not anywhere near commanding a start YET but he might well do that going forward


It should have been 5 out of 5!

If we snooze we lose!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...