Virtual new year events.

Tazio

Obviously no Hogmanay on the streets this year but a series of short films etc are being made. This one is very impressive, the poetry is a bit shortbread tin but the visuals and drone programming are very impressive. Filmed in the highlands and then overlaid onto Edinburgh and surrounding area. 

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is the text available anywhere?

I’m not sure, I’d imagine they have put subtitles on the YouTube video that can be read. Or alternatively Jackie Kay who is Scotland’s Makar (poet laureate) may have a website with them on.  

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure, I’d imagine they have put subtitles on the YouTube video that can be read. Or alternatively Jackie Kay who is Scotland’s Makar (poet laureate) may have a website with them on.  

The line about the Saltire being a warning cross knocked me back, not gonna lie.

7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The line about the Saltire being a warning cross knocked me back, not gonna lie.

Well I’d imagine as per the rest of the poem it’s very related to the year we’ve just gone through. I’d hope it’s an allusion to social distancing as opposed to a bugger off to people wanting to come to Scotland. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well I’d imagine as per the rest of the poem it’s very related to the year we’ve just gone through. I’d hope it’s an allusion to social distancing as opposed to a bugger off to people wanting to come to Scotland. 

A few powerful images in the text and the video alright.  I especially liked the Gàidhlig lines.