Gillespies Stout

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cairneyhill Jambo

Looking for a bit of help.

Can anyone remember Gillespies Stout brewed by S&N?

I'm looking for something similar. I bought a couple of cans a while ago that was almost identical but can't remember who brewed it. Think it may have been an oat milk stout but not sure. 

Not wanting Murphy or Guinness so grateful for any advice on alternatives. 

Cheers

2d377ef1db9055f768a07ead40984ef1_320x320.jpg

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

I used to drink this, from memory Murphy’s was closer in taste than Guinness but still not the same. Not sure what would compare to it now though as I’m strictly Guinness these days. 

I remember Gillespie's.

Ever tried this?

Belhaven Black Scottish Stout Nitro Draught Can - Holiday Wine Cellar

Edit - I don't remember Gillespie's well enough to make a comparison. Must be close to 25 years since I had some!

Edited by Boof

57 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I used to drink this, from memory Murphy’s was closer in taste than Guinness but still not the same. Not sure what would compare to it now though as I’m strictly Guinness these days. 

I think it was more like Murphy’s than Guinness. 

Very few places had it on tap it but The Black Bull in the Grassmarket used to serve a great pint of it. I'm a Guinness man but given the choice of a top drawer Gillespie's then that's what I'd choose. Haven't seen it in years. 

I've not seen it in years, it was one of my favourites, preferred it to Guiness or Murphy's. I'd love another few tins.

Sawdust Caesar

The Theatre Royal used to have it in draught, I loved it. Always thought it was slightly sweet, or maybe just less bitter than Guinness, which I don't find all that bitter tbh.

16 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

The Theatre Royal used to have it in draught, I loved it. Always thought it was slightly sweet, or maybe just less bitter than Guinness, which I don't find all that bitter tbh.

I found that too, a slightly caramel hint to it.

Seymour M Hersh

It made a bit of a comeback a few years ago (90's maybe) but seems to have faded again. However a brewer that before the first world war Gillespies was far more popular than guiness in the UK but rationing in the UK basically caused them to cease production. No such rationing in ireland allowed guiness to leap ahead and take a lead they never lost. How accurate the story is I don't know. 

There are some brilliant stouts and porters on the go at the moment (Dark Island and Dragonhead Stout are two of my current favourites, both from the Orkney Brewery), but a good and fairly inexpensive one that's definitely worth a go is Purple Panther Porter, from Lidl. Crappy name, but a tasty and enjoyable beer.

6 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

There are some brilliant stouts and porters on the go at the moment (Dark Island and Dragonhead Stout are two of my current favourites, both from the Orkney Brewery), but a good and fairly inexpensive one that's definitely worth a go is Purple Panther Porter, from Lidl. Crappy name, but a tasty and enjoyable beer.

I've been buying Stouts and Milk Stouts for a wee while now but since getting the Guinness Porter by mistake I'm going on a Porter fest next.

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've been buying Stouts and Milk Stouts for a wee while now but since getting the Guinness Porter by mistake I'm going on a Porter fest next.

Enjoy!  :icon14:

23 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Brewed by Jennings in Cockermouth.

17 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Piccadilly Porter from Isaac Poad Brewery, Axholme, York. 

You won't go wrong with that.

Only ever seen it from Beers of Europe.

13 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Enjoy!  :icon14:

Mrs Dawnrazor is going to the shops tomorrow and has been ORDERED to go to the mighty Booths and get 6 different bottles of Porter👍

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Mrs Dawnrazor is going to the shops tomorrow and has been ORDERED to go to the mighty Booths and get 6 different bottles of Porter👍

A firm hand is required on such occasions. :thumbsup:   Sounds good, if a bit of a risky plan...  :ermm:   

Hope you're pleasantly surprised however!

21 hours ago, Boof said:

I remember Gillespie's.

Ever tried this?

Edit - I don't remember Gillespie's well enough to make a comparison. Must be close to 25 years since I had some!

That is a superb beer

I had a great dark beer in York 

Gathering Storm.

My daughter reckons Kilkenny is also excellent but you can’t get it here

24 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I had a great dark beer in York 

Gathering Storm.

My daughter reckons Kilkenny is also excellent but you can’t get it here

Kilkenny is alright, been a long time since I've had it though.

22 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Looking for a bit of help.

Can anyone remember Gillespies Stout brewed by S&N?

I'm looking for something similar. I bought a couple of cans a while ago that was almost identical but can't remember who brewed it. Think it may have been an oat milk stout but not sure. 

Not wanting Murphy or Guinness so grateful for any advice on alternatives. 

Cheers

2d377ef1db9055f768a07ead40984ef1_320x320.jpg

Looks like it's made for foreign markets now. Managed to find a couple of check-ins on Untappd for it. 

https://untappd.com/b/heineken-italia-gilliespie-s-scottish-malt-stout/2083743

Cairneyhill Jambo
23 hours ago, Boof said:

I remember Gillespie's.

Ever tried this?

I have Boof  The Seven Kings in Dunfermline used to sell it on draught. Still a bit bitter for me though. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

image.jpeg.526f2d6ad7409e1e7895796da4e07d96.jpeg

Hard to find though nowadays.

Yeah, I can remember it. That was decent too. The Irish theme pub on the left hand side as you walked down Victoria Street used to sell it on tap, as well as Red Beamish in the late 90s. The pub maybe called Scruffy Murphys?

Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Yeah, I can remember it. That was decent too. The Irish theme pub on the left hand side as you walked down Victoria Street used to sell it on tap, as well as Red Beamish in the late 90s. The pub maybe called Scruffy Murphys?

Finigans Wake, used to be the Preservation Halls?

Cairneyhill Jambo
8 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

The Crown pub in Linlithgow used to sell Gillespie's on tap in the middle 90's as well. It was a great pint, but too drinkable. A bit like the Diggers old 80 shilling. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Finigans Wake, used to be the Preservation Halls?

Aye, thats the one. Almost next door to the Liquid Rooms? 

6 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Aye, thats the one. Almost next door to the Liquid Rooms? 

Didn't the liqid rooms used to be both???

That period of my life is all a bit of a blur😅😅

Seymour M Hersh

When starting off on the bevvy trail as teenagers our group would enjoy these as they were easier for the uneducated palate to drink.

th-4.jpeg

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not a stout per se but Erdinger Dunkel Weiss Bier is a nice dark wheat beer. Worth a try. 

🤤 Not had that in ages. Greaaaat shout!

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

When starting off on the bevvy trail as teenagers our group would enjoy these as they were easier for the uneducated palate to drink.

th-4.jpeg

Indeed. Also mixed with heavy to create a nice-tasting black and tan back in the day.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Also mixed with heavy to create a nice-tasting black and tan back in the day.

The only way to make the likes of Diamond Heavy drinkable. The 70s was a pretty barren time beer wise. 

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I had heard, I thought authoritatively enough, never to refer to this as anything but a half-and-half on this side of the Atlantic, because of the implications 😳

Plus we really do not give two shits about our drink names in the States. We also have a shooter made up of a half dram of Bailey's and a half dram of Jameson—the whole thing dropped into a half pint of Guinness, which is then chugged in one go, called an Irish Carbomb 😶

8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I had heard, I thought authoritatively enough, never to refer to this as anything but a half-and-half on this side of the Atlantic, because of the implications 😳

Plus we really do not give two shits about our drink names in the States. We also have a shooter made up of a half dram of Bailey's and a half dram of Jameson—the whole thing dropped into a half pint of Guinness, which is then chugged in one go, called an Irish Carbomb 😶

In Ireland, I certainly wouldn't ask for one out of respect, but when I drank them in the 80s in Edinburgh, they were always called black and tans in the pubs I frequented. Perhaps the term has fallen out of use nowadays though?

15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

If you ask for a half and half in Scotland you’ll get a whisky and a half pint of heavy. 

9 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I'd strongly recommend this stuff

Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout

Had this on draught at The Swan and 3 Cygnets in Durham, lovely stuff 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

images.jpg

I got a growler of that, earlier. Delicious. Got three other different growlers to drink over the weekend.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo