Barbers and hairdressers

Weakened Offender

Depends.  If they're cutting as many barnets as normal then yes.  If their numbers are limited and the only way to turn a profit is to increase the prices then no.  

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Taking the utter piss with their post-lockdown price hikes. 

Greedy gets. 

Being nearly bald has its advantages.

24 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Taking the utter piss with their post-lockdown price hikes. 

Greedy gets. 

Cut them a break, they've missed out on months worth of revenue.

Weakened Offender
45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Depends.  If they're cutting as many barnets as normal then yes.  If their numbers are limited and the only way to turn a profit is to increase the prices then no.  

I'll buy that if they lower them again once we are back to normal. 

Weakened Offender
24 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Cut them a break, they've missed out on months worth of revenue.

My missus now pays an extra 40 bar to get her haircut. That's greedy. 

I'm still £10 but after the first week after lockdown businesses nose dived. People arent getting haircuts as often and theres too much competition so places are charging more to make up the short fall.

10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

They will have to.  It's a marketplace very sensitive to a normal supply/demand/price dynamic.  

If they didn’t get any furlough then increasing payments could be justified , no furlough means no tax paid in most cases though . 
If they have been paid furlough but putting a huge hike on prices that’s different , choice is there for customers though , pay it or try somewhere cheaper . 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

It's a cut up.

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Being nearly bald has its advantages.

Literally just shaved my napper the now, it was getting to the comb over stage. 

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I don't think many of them have had much option. The barber I take my lad to is almost on it's knees and it's a busy wee place. Truth be told I'm strongly considering paying them for a couple of haircuts that he would've but never had. Alternatively I might get them to spend two minutes doing my napper and I've really got no use for a barber.

Edited by IronJambo

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Literally just shaved my napper the now, it was getting to the comb over stage. 

Cheap and cheerful.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

BoomBarber in Dalkeith charges £24 and that was before covid!

Is that for a shampoo and set?

Anyone tried Skull Shavers? it's like an old school beard shaver, 4 heads, catches all the hair in the section below.

They vary from £50 to £200. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Anyone tried Skull Shavers? it's like an old school beard shaver, 4 heads, catches all the hair in the section below.

They vary from £50 to £200. 

It’s a a Wahl I’ve got about £16.00.

Does the job.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s a a Wahl I’ve got about £16.00.

Does the job.

I've got a professional pair of hair clippers (suit you sir) no lead, charges up. 

but it would be great to have something that collects all the hair, cos i'm a lazy *******. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've got a professional pair of hair clippers (suit you sir) no lead, charges up. 

but it would be great to have something that collects all the hair, cos i'm a lazy *******. 

Fortunately the hair that come off is negligible.

Weakened Offender
30 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

BoomBarber in Dalkeith charges £24 and that was before covid!

I went to BoomBarber at the west end a couple of times a few years back and the boy spent more time talking about cutting my hair than he spent cutting it. 

Yeah seem to be on average around £10 to £13 now . Like others have said so many about too . Loads around Gorgie / DAlry . I get a good blether with my one at N&M at Dundee street . He’s an Argentine guy . Great banter and not the usual boring “ going on holiday this year “ ? Mind you don’t suppose they have asked that much 😂😂😂

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah seem to be on average around £10 to £13 now . Like others have said so many about too . Loads around Gorgie / DAlry . I get a good blether with my one at N&M at Dundee street . He’s an Argentine guy . Great banter and not the usual boring “ going on holiday this year “ ? Mind you don’t suppose they have asked that much 😂😂😂

When I had hair I went to Sams.

Him and Alphonse were great guys.

40 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Bought clippers in the summer. Not paid for a haircut since. 

Ditto. Shaving the back of the neck is a bit of a lottery though. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

When I had hair I went to Sams.

Him and Alphonse were great guys.

Where was that ? 

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Between Wheatfield Street and Tynecastle Terrace.

Ah right 

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I've used him before and he's a good guy. He's always got something on the ipad too, sport or comedy. He once cut my hair as we both watched Sacha Baron Cohen's new series on YouTube. 😀

SectionDJambo

I often reminisce about getting a short back and sides for about half a crown. Those were the days. 
And to finish, a gel that dried to feel like a cycle helmet, and getting birled round, at the end of the job, at speed on the chair until I was feeling so dizzy I couldn’t walk straight.

Could never work out what the “something for the weekend?” was, that men were getting from the barber, when they were finished and paying.

I've used him before and he's a good guy. He's always got something on the ipad too, sport or comedy. He once cut my hair as we both watched Sacha Baron Cohen's new series on YouTube. 😀

Yeah he’s a bit of a gambier too so has had sports on when I’ve been in too 

17 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

No that's foolish on your wife's part.

Went for a haircut, barber was cutting someone else's hair when I arrived, and looked in the window, She had no mask on. Not the barber for me, she lost a customer.

Clippers out for a nice skin head or crew and a beard trim. I think I'll sport a big feck off goatee for a wee change. I'm looking a bit Santa Clausish the noo. 

Are Tattooists, not Tattooers(Americans) opened atm? Could really go a tattoo.

Two lions standing on their back legs holding flag poles that cross over with a Saltire and a Lion rampant on each flag, with maybe Edinburgh Castle or the Wallace monument in the back ground. Either full back or full belly and chest. Auch, I'll just wait til the summer. 

Edited by ri Alban

joondalupjambo

Funny we are having the same discussion surrounding annual golf fees, pints of beer, petrol etc. 

Businesses have reduced income over the last 9 months so the natural thing in the owners minds is to perhaps hike up their prices to recover their losses however once the price has been increased it stays up and each year it will probably increase again on that increased price.  That is not fair to the customer I guess if the initial hike is too high.

If the purpose of the initial increase is to cover Covid losses then why not keep the price the same, perhaps a cost of living % increase of say 2.5% and then on top of each hair cut have a small, fixed amount Covid levy?  Once the income from the levy reaches a fair amount then simply remove the levy.  Customers would perhaps understand that more than just seeing a big basic price increase and be loyal to the business.

Anyway if the business hikes up the basic costs too much then they could lose customers to other businesses who are cheaper.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Funny we are having the same discussion surrounding annual golf fees, pints of beer, petrol etc. 

Businesses have reduced income over the last 9 months so the natural thing in the owners minds is to perhaps hike up their prices to recover their losses however once the price has been increased it stays up and each year it will probably increase again on that increased price.  That is not fair to the customer I guess if the initial hike is too high.

If the purpose of the initial increase is to cover Covid losses then why not keep the price the same, perhaps a cost of living % increase of say 2.5% and then on top of each hair cut have a small, fixed amount Covid levy?  Once the income from the levy reaches a fair amount then simply remove the levy.  Customers would perhaps understand that more than just seeing a big basic price increase and be loyal to the business.

Anyway if the business hikes up the basic costs too much then they could lose customers to other businesses who are cheaper.

My barber was £6 pre-covid, now £10. Most of the customers were pensioners, no idea if they can afford to pay a 66% increase. I bought clippers and now cut my own hair, so the barber has lost one monthly customer.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Clippers out for a nice skin head or crew and a beard trim. I think I'll sport a big feck off goatee for a wee change. I'm looking a bit Santa Clausish the noo. 

Are Tattooists, not Tattooers(Americans) opened atm? Could really go a tattoo.

Two lions standing on their back legs holding flag poles that cross over with a Saltire and a Lion rampant on each flag, with maybe Edinburgh Castle or the Wallace monument in the back ground. Either full back or full belly and chest. Auch, I'll just wait til the summer. 

Sounds shit.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

My barber was £6 pre-covid, now £10. Most of the customers were pensioners, no idea if they can afford to pay a 66% increase. I bought clippers and now cut my own hair, so the barber has lost one monthly customer.

We were 4 quid pre-covid for a clipper cut over 60's and 6 quid for everyone else.   Now it is either 5 or 6 quid over 60's depending if you work or not.  Still cheap so will stay loyal even though it is a short wander along to Leven.  

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

We were 4 quid pre-covid for a clipper cut over 60's and 6 quid for everyone else.   Now it is either 5 or 6 quid over 60's depending if you work or not.  Still cheap so will stay loyal even though it is a short wander along to Leven.  

Mine is a flat rate of £10. No OAP discount.