Barbara Windsor dies

neilnunb

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

The planet must be approaching half empty by now. 

I am starting to take the hint, I am not vain enough to think I am going to out survive all of them all the time. Nor do I really believe that I want to.

Should be an interesting coffin lid.

Better actress than given credit for.

Still Syd James will have a big smile on his face.

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I am starting to take the hint, I am not vain enough to think I am going to out survive all of them all the time. Nor do I really believe that I want to.

Carry On Bob

An average actress really . But seemed a nice person in real life . Alzheimer’s is a truly awful disease , I’d hate for anyone I know to have it . She’s no longer confused and in pain . RIP 

54 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Big part of people ot a certain age childhood . Think Jim Dale the only carry on regular left . RIP 

I think Leslie Phillips is still alive

Met her once in a Chinese restaurant, I'd had a few and it was a long long time ago when it was deemed perfectly natural to ask a girl to "shows yer tits". 

So, not wanting to let the side down, I asked.

She didn't, but I could tell she wanted to.

RIP Babs.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I think Leslie Phillips is still alive

Yes he is . I think about 96 or something. He wasnt in many of them though.

Montgomery Brewster
5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Big part of people ot a certain age childhood . Think Jim Dale the only carry on regular left . RIP 

Another leg end 

8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I happened to listen to the Elaine Paige  program on R2 a few moths ago  (lots of interesting stuff about musicals and  careers of celebs who starred in them) -  anyway, she was talking about The Greatest Showman and reminded listeners that the original Barnum stage show starred Jim Dale in the lead role, and she played a couple of songs from it.  Jim was a surprisingly brilliant singer, perfect for doing a musical.       Who'd have thunked that the saucy young Carry On lad could do that !!

The bio-pic on BBC1 tonight was brilliantly done. The actress playing the older Babs in an empty theatre watching her younger self (another actress) in various important scenes from her life.  The real Babs even made a few appearances as an observer of herself and then sang a song at the end.  Superb and unusual drama.  Brilliant.    

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

I happened to listen to the Elaine Paige  program on R2 a few moths ago  (lots of interesting stuff about musicals and  careers of celebs who starred in them) -  anyway, she was talking about The Greatest Showman and reminded listeners that the original Barnum stage show starred Jim Dale in the lead role, and she played a couple of songs from it.  Jim was a surprisingly brilliant singer, perfect for doing a musical.       Who'd have thunked that the saucy young Carry On lad could do that !!

The chances are he did west end shows before things like Carry On. Michael Crawford is a great example, known to most people as Frank Spencer but after that finished he went back to theatre and became the biggest male star of musicals in the world. 

Weakened Offender
On 11/12/2020 at 10:26, JamesM48 said:

An average actress really . But seemed a nice person in real life . 

I'm not sure she was. I've read stuff that suggested she was nice to work with but a bit of a cow with the wider public. I remember Noel Edmunds pranked her and throughout the lengthy sketch she didn't come across too well at all and people suggested then that was actually the real Babs. 

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm not sure she was. I've read stuff that suggested she was nice to work with but a bit of a cow with the wider public. I remember Noel Edmunds pranked her and throughout the lengthy sketch she didn't come across too well at all and people suggested then that was actually the real Babs. 

Ok didn’t know that . 

15 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

He became a big star on Broadway 

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

The chances are he did west end shows before things like Carry On. Michael Crawford is a great example, known to most people as Frank Spencer but after that finished he went back to theatre and became the biggest male star of musicals in the world. 

Yes people often pidgin hole actors as just tv stars but many are very talented stage  stars . Crawford was actually a film actor long before some mothers . He was in “ hello dolly “ with Barbra Streisand . You don’t get much bigger than that . I’ve seen Lorraine chase on stage in “ me and my girl “ and she was terrific . Also saw a young Catherine zeta Jones in “ 42nd street “ and her dancing was incredible . She was about 18 I think . 

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Cilla Black is the ultimate example. All her showbiz pals gushing about what a wonderful person she was, but anyone outside other performers said she was a despicable person.  

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes people often pidgin hole actors as just tv stars but many are very talented stage  stars . Crawford was actually a film actor long before some mothers . He was in “ hello dolly “ with Barbra Streisand . You don’t get much bigger than that . I’ve seen Lorraine chase on stage in “ me and my girl “ and she was terrific . Also saw a young Catherine zeta Jones in “ 42nd street “ and her dancing was incredible . She was about 18 I think . 

That’s a good point.

I’ve see myself watching a tv programme and wondered what has happened to a particular actor as I have never seen them on tv for years.

You look them up and they’ve been appearing on stage for years.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Cilla Black is the ultimate example. All her showbiz pals gushing about what a wonderful person she was, but anyone outside other performers said she was a despicable person.  

I've always wondered how she made it. Not that pretty and not that talented.

Right place at the right time maybe and that she knew The Beatles

Always came across as the " Don't you know who I am " type.

Weakened Offender
17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

BA Cabin Crew staff were polled about who was the most detestable celebrity and, surprise surprise, that ugly Tory cow horsed it. 

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

BA Cabin Crew staff were polled about who was the most detestable celebrity and, surprise surprise, that ugly Tory cow horsed it. 

And their nickname for her confirmed it. 

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He became a big star on Broadway 

Indeed. Just looked up Wiki about him - he's even more talented than I thought. Had hit records in the 50s, was the first non-orchestral musician to work with George Martin, made 11 Carry On's  plus numerous other films, loads of theatre too including Edinburgh Festival productions. Broadway theatre and U.S. TV shows too.  It says he did all the Harry Potter audio books released in the U.S.       Sounds like one of those celebs who don't get enough credit for their diverse talents.

11 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I see what you did there - Eddie Murphy - quickmeme

25 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s a good point.

I’ve see myself watching a tv programme and wondered what has happened to a particular actor as I have never seen them on tv for years.

A good example is Roger Lloyd Pack who played Trigger in Only Fools And Horses. A friend of mine was very close to him and his wife as she worked a lot with him at Shakespeare’s Globe theatre in London where he was a regular. Yet most people will stereotype him as a minor part sit com actor. 

40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s a good point.

Yes many prefer stage work . Less pay but more immediate adulation from the audience . 

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A good example is Roger Lloyd Pack who played Trigger in Only Fools And Horses. A friend of mine was very close to him and his wife as she worked a lot with him at Shakespeare’s Globe theatre in London where he was a regular. Yet most people will stereotype him as a minor part sit com actor. 

It’s surprising the number of actors who fall into this category.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes many prefer stage work . Less pay but more immediate adulation from the audience . 

This.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

There’s a great scene in the classic film “ all about Eve” when the conniving Eve ( Anne Baxter ) talks about the theatre and acting in the theatre and the applause  “ if only for the applause  it’s like waves of love , they love you , you belong “ Terrific film about the theatre luvvies 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

There are a few that love the adulation but that’s generally not the reason for choosing stage acting. It’s just a preference for various reasons. Most actors decide they want to do it after a visit to the theatre when they are young and to them it’s “proper” acting. It also is an easier lifestyle once a show has started its run in terms of hours worked as opposed to being on a TV set at the crack of dawn most days. The lure of tv and film work is the much higher wages offered so most stage actors love a part in a soap or suchlike to top up the bank account but tend to get bored very quickly. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

There’s a great scene in the classic film “ all about Eve” when the conniving Eve ( Anne Baxter ) talks about the theatre and acting in the theatre and the applause  “ if only for the applause  it’s like waves of love , they love you , you belong “ Terrific film about the theatre luvvies 

Never seen it but will watch out for it.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Never seen it but will watch out for it.

It’s a classic film . Actually holds the record with “ Titanic “ for most Oscar nominations ( 14 ) im a bit of a film nerd with facts ! 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JamesM48 said:

It’s a classic film . Actually holds the record with “ Titanic “ for most Oscar nominations ( 14 ) im a bit of a film nerd with facts ! 

👍

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

There are a few that love the adulation but that’s generally not the reason for choosing stage acting. It’s just a preference for various reasons. Most actors decide they want to do it after a visit to the theatre when they are young and to them it’s “proper” acting. It also is an easier lifestyle once a show has started its run in terms of hours worked as opposed to being on a TV set at the crack of dawn most days. The lure of tv and film work is the much higher wages offered so most stage actors love a part in a soap or suchlike to top up the bank account but tend to get bored very quickly. 

I’ve been listening to Alex Guiness biography on  YouTube  “ my name escapes me “ it’s excellent . He tells a funny anecdote about him taking to dame Edith Evans ( old theatre actress ) they were having dinner around 1952 after he made “ the lavender hill mob” and she discreetly asked him how much he got paid ? He told her £6000 ( a fortune compared to the theatre ) and apparently she got right on the phone to get agent askin him to get her some film parts ! 😂 his  Reading  of it is much funnier though. 

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve been listening to Alex Guiness biography on  YouTube  “ my name escapes me “ it’s excellent . He tells a funny anecdote about him taking to dame Edith Evans ( old theatre actress ) they were having dinner around 1952 after he made “ the lavender hill mob” and she discreetly asked him how much he got paid ? He told her £6000 ( a fortune compared to the theatre ) and apparently she got right on the phone to get agent askin him to get her some film parts ! 😂 his  Reading  of it is much funnier though. 

I remember sitting in a green room a few years ago chatting to a cast and a young just out of college actor was going on about taking a part in a soap meaning you were a sell out. Which then led to him finding out one of the other actors had done a few months in Eastenders. When he asked why he had done it the answer was £2500 a week and a large chunk of my mortgage paid off. Fast forward five years and the idealistic young actor was in River City for a long time. 
Idealism is all very well when you’re young, but reality soon kicks in. 

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've always wondered how she made it. Not that pretty and not that talented.

Right place at the right time maybe and that she knew The Beatles

Always came across as the " Don't you know who I am " type.

My memory of her starting was no acting ability at all willingness to show her boobs and act sexy. To me she always looked quite short and had almost but not quite protruding front teeth. In fairness as did many she made the best of what she had, there was a hunger for sexy women who weren't lsow in showing how sexy they were and they supplied the demand. She is gone now an old woman who probably couldn't even enjoy remembering the good times she strove so hard to get.

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I remember sitting in a green room a few years ago chatting to a cast and a young just out of college actor was going on about taking a part in a soap meaning you were a sell out. Which then led to him finding out one of the other actors had done a few months in Eastenders. When he asked why he had done it the answer was £2500 a week and a large chunk of my mortgage paid off. Fast forward five years and the idealistic young actor was in River City for a long time. 
Idealism is all very well when you’re young, but reality soon kicks in. 

Exactly it literally pays the bills 

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My memory of her starting was no acting ability at all willingness to show her boobs and act sexy. To me she always looked quite short and had almost but not quite protruding front teeth. In fairness as did many she made the best of what she had, there was a hunger for sexy women who weren't lsow in showing how sexy they were and they supplied the demand. She is gone now an old woman who probably couldn't even enjoy remembering the good times she strove so hard to get.

Bob  - I think Maroon Sailor is referring to Cilla Black, not Barbara Windsor 😉