Plumber/Electrician Advice (All Electric Flat)

luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

Needing a bit of advice. My parents live in a retirement building where there is no gas supply and no possibility of getting gas. They have only one cupboard in their property which houses both the hot and cold water tanks and they take up half of the cupboard.  They are looking at options to get both these tanks removed to get full use of the cupboard..  Another person in their building has had their tanks removed and replaced with an unvented cylinder tank with a small header tank above.  This has increased their water pressure but the unvented cylinder is still quite large.  I have done a bit of research and found you can get unvented tankless water heaters which only heats the water when you open a hot water tap. The only things that run from the hot water tank at the moment is the kitchen tap, bathroom tap and power shower.  As with most older generations, they don’t use massive amounts of hot water, just for the dishes, hand washing and the odd shower.  Does anyone know if an unvented tankless water heater is good enough to give them decent shower pressure and also if you have any idea of costs to have their tanks removed and a water heater fitted. 

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Could you not get an Electric combi boiler?  

That’s for heating and hot water. They only need it for the water, so think that would be a more expensive option.

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That’s for heating and hot water. They only need it for the water, so think that would be a more expensive option.

Ah, fair enough bud. That’s why I’m not an electrician or a plumber. 😂

you can get electric boilers that work like combis and provide instant water and heating without the need for water tanks.. might help? For higher pressure maybe an electric shower would be the other option?

I had this recently in one of my rental flats - no gas and electric heating (which worked fine). Only problem was the hot water was an old immersion system so had to be put on a timer to heat up - not great in the 21st Century!  😄

So while the flat was empty, I installed an instant hot water heater. Works great. 😀

There's a few made by Ariston which was the make I used.

The larger ones will need a seperate spur run from the fuse board as they are around 10Kw.

The one I used was 3Kw so worked from a standard 13A outlet which is enough to supply hot water to 2 sinks (it's a 1 bedroom flat with an electric shower and no bath so it worked fine)