Jump to content

Scouting/Transfer Policy.


Greedy Jambo

Recommended Posts

Greedy Jambo

It has been absolutely honking over the last few years and it doesn't seem to have changed. 

Is that Murray boy still there?

Frear, Roberts, Halliday, they can't even do a job in the championship ffs.

We've got fans claiming Olly Lee is a brilliant player and all sorts (Even Craig Levein got shot of him)

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It has been absolutely honking over the last few years and it doesn't seem to have changed. 

Is that Murray boy still there?

Frear, Roberts, Halliday, they can't even do a job in the championship ffs.

We've got fans claiming Olly Lee is a brilliant player and all sorts (Even Craig Levein got shot of him)

 

 

 

 

Our standards have dropped our expectations too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo

Player recruitment is probably the most important thing at a football club, and we're absolute shit at it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3
1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Player recruitment is probably the most important thing at a football club, and we're absolute shit at it. 

It needs a full internal independent audit

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Don’t forget Popescu

 

Aye, doesn't look up to much when he's not facing east fife. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Diadora Van Basten
1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

 

Aye, doesn't look up to much when he's not facing east fife. 

A defender who can’t defend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874

John Murray is still at the club. Was due to retire in the summer but was persuaded to stay on. Baffling. I’d sign better players than the shite that we sign

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo
Just now, Famous 1874 said:

John Murray is still at the club. Was due to retire in the summer but was persuaded to stay on. Baffling. I’d sign better players than the shite that we sign

 

I would imagine that the person that persuaded him to stay on is the same person that gave moore a new contract when we didn't have a manager. Mental. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Diadora Van Basten

View from the Terrace scout better players and actually picked out Callum Morrison as one to watch. Given he has scored six goals and we are playing Wighton in his position it’s looking like yet more bad business.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

 

I would imagine that the person that persuaded him to stay on is the same person that gave moore a new contract when we didn't have a manager. Mental. 

Agreed mate. Another baffling decision. I think the lad is alright but hardly a major asset is he? Hasn’t got much of a look in under Neilson so far, therefore a waste of a wage. Especially as there is no reserve league this season either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

View from the Terrace scout better players and actually picked out Callum Morrison as one to watch. Given he has scored six goals and we are playing Wighton in his position it’s looking like yet more bad business.

In the third tier. He had a lot of opportunities at Hearts but lacked a final ball. Of course he may revive his career at a higher level. Good luck to him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Religion

This is ours and Scottish footballs level. We’re not just getting it wrong through bad management as most of the lunatics on here believe. This is it, we can’t afford better players. This is ours Hibs and Aberdeen’s level. It’s shit and anyone that thinks it’s just bad management is wrong. This is the way it is for the foreseeable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I hope we are looking at Erhahon at St Mirren as well as Allan Campbell of Motherwell with regards to next season as examples

 

Both are 'gettable' if we get promoted and can be signed pre contract in January but there will be fees to be paid

 

You don't need to be a super scout to spot talent in Scotland and if we are not looking then it is a poor show but who knows the club may well have them on their radar

 

There are others like Ali McCann of St Johnstone but others will be looking as well no doubt

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker

Yes.....  seems the majority of our signings these last few years have been disappointing.  Lafferty, Smith, Haring and Kingsley (possibly Boyce) being the exceptions. Even Naismith  has lost his spark.

 

If I was a Hearts scout watching that game last night, I'd be noting down Thomas, McManus, Turner and Murray from that Dunfermline team and getting them watched.   Fantastic energy, young, skillful on the ball, willing to shoot for goal.   We need all of that.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes.....  seems the majority of our signings these last few years have been disappointing.  Lafferty, Smith, Haring and Kingsley (possibly Boyce) being the exceptions. Even Naismith  has lost his spark.

 

If I was a Hearts scout watching that game last night, I'd be noting down Thomas, McManus, Turner and Murray from that Dunfermline team and getting them watched.   Fantastic energy, young, skillful on the ball, willing to shoot for goal.   We need all of that.   

Thought their young left back also looked good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

This is ours and Scottish footballs level. We’re not just getting it wrong through bad management as most of the lunatics on here believe. This is it, we can’t afford better players. This is ours Hibs and Aberdeen’s level. It’s shit and anyone that thinks it’s just bad management is wrong. This is the way it is for the foreseeable. 

Don't talk shite, I've seen players in some of the championship sides that could do a job for us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It has been absolutely honking over the last few years and it doesn't seem to have changed. 

Is that Murray boy still there?

Frear, Roberts, Halliday, they can't even do a job in the championship ffs.

We've got fans claiming Olly Lee is a brilliant player and all sorts (Even Craig Levein got shot of him)

 

 

 

 

Yes he’s still there. Not sure if we’ve recruited well for Neilsons favoured formation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

This is ours and Scottish footballs level. We’re not just getting it wrong through bad management as most of the lunatics on here believe. This is it, we can’t afford better players. This is ours Hibs and Aberdeen’s level. It’s shit and anyone that thinks it’s just bad management is wrong. This is the way it is for the foreseeable. 

Aberdeen have had consistently better players than us for years, finding nobody’s like Cosgrove. They choose great GKs and have some great youngsters like Ferguson and Mcrorie. 
Hibs have finished above us for 3 seasons running which hasn’t happened for 5 decades and are obviously going to make it 4. 
Let’s not mention Motherwell who have been in Europe more than us this century and pick up some great players alongside selling youngsters they bring through their academy. 
To compare us to them and say it’s not bad management that has us where we are is hilarious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Well I hope we are looking at Erhahon at St Mirren as well as Allan Campbell of Motherwell with regards to next season as examples

 

Both are 'gettable' if we get promoted and can be signed pre contract in January but there will be fees to be paid

 

You don't need to be a super scout to spot talent in Scotland and if we are not looking then it is a poor show but who knows the club may well have them on their radar

 

There are others like Ali McCann of St Johnstone but others will be looking as well no doubt

Watching Sportscene and there are quite a few who would improve us, Brophy from Kilmarnock is out of contract in the summer. We could’ve done worse than going for Chris Burke in any of the last three seasons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes.....  seems the majority of our signings these last few years have been disappointing.  Lafferty, Smith, Haring and Kingsley (possibly Boyce) being the exceptions. Even Naismith  has lost his spark.

 

If I was a Hearts scout watching that game last night, I'd be noting down Thomas, McManus, Turner and Murray from that Dunfermline team and getting them watched.   Fantastic energy, young, skillful on the ball, willing to shoot for goal.   We need all of that.   

Absolutely, the last time we were down there was hardly any players that impressed bar Scott Allan. This time I’ve seen a few, not sure if we made them look good though. Those you mentioned and I would also count Duku in there from Raith who looked good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Don't talk shite, I've seen players in some of the championship sides that could do a job for us. 

What are their names?

Would they all be within our budget?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Finlay James

First defeat of the season and suddenly everything about the club is shite 🤦‍♂️

 

Never change JKB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Religion
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aberdeen have had consistently better players than us for years, finding nobody’s like Cosgrove. They choose great GKs and have some great youngsters like Ferguson and Mcrorie. 
Hibs have finished above us for 3 seasons running which hasn’t happened for 5 decades and are obviously going to make it 4. 
Let’s not mention Motherwell who have been in Europe more than us this century and pick up some great players alongside selling youngsters they bring through their academy. 
To compare us to them and say it’s not bad management that has us where we are is hilarious. 

 

Aspiring to be as good as, or slightly better than Aberdeen, Hibs or Motherwell is utterly depressing. This is my point, it’s shit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aberdeen have had consistently better players than us for years, finding nobody’s like Cosgrove. They choose great GKs and have some great youngsters like Ferguson and Mcrorie. 
Hibs have finished above us for 3 seasons running which hasn’t happened for 5 decades and are obviously going to make it 4. 
Let’s not mention Motherwell who have been in Europe more than us this century and pick up some great players alongside selling youngsters they bring through their academy. 
To compare us to them and say it’s not bad management that has us where we are is hilarious. 

You also hear a lot from Hearts fans, “if he was any good, he wouldn’t be at Hearts”... are we to never have a good finisher again? A box to box midfielder who can influence games?

 

Its so negative. I do accept we were stunted this season because we are a league below. Options are limited, as are finances.

 

But I’d heard this saying when we were in the SPL as players took criticism. I don’t have to repeat it, other posters have made the point, as have yourself, about better players being snapped up by other clubs or even blooded from youth.

 

It just seems like excuses from certain quarters all the time. We do need better scouting and we need to broaden our network. Maybe start finding players with key elements to their game even though they may lack in others. The much sought finisher still seems to elude us but I do wonder sometimes if it’s the strategy and squad building that has become the bigger issue?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You also hear a lot from Hearts fans, “if he was any good, he wouldn’t be at Hearts”... are we to never have a good finisher again? A box to box midfielder who can influence games?

 

Its so negative. I do accept we were stunted this season because we are a league below. Options are limited, as are finances.

 

But I’d heard this saying when we were in the SPL as players took criticism. I don’t have to repeat it, other posters have made the point, as have yourself, about better players being snapped up by other clubs or even blooded from youth.

 

It just seems like excuses from certain quarters all the time. We do need better scouting and we need to broaden our network. Maybe start finding players with key elements to their game even though they may lack in others. The much sought finisher still seems to elude us but I do wonder sometimes if it’s the strategy and squad building that has become the bigger issue?  

Absolutely, there’s problems in all aspects of the football department unfortunately and possibly the owners acceptance of mediocrity and failure. 
I think there’s a divide in the fans, half demand the best and the others are happy to be underachievers who occasionally have a good season. 
I think Neilson appears to be trying to install a winning mentality but with the problems at the club it’s not easy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skacelsid

Recruitment needs to take priority over coaching and coaches trying to justify their position. Do they not watch successful football and players and see what works. This goes back to Cathro and beyond, we are stuck in a time warp trying to play possession ( walking ) football. Safe passing, no risk, no pace, keep ball ( till you lose it ), box soccer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Leveins Battalion

Just finished Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography and the emphasis he puts on scouting and recruitment is massive.

 

Even he made mistakes though.

 

Our problems are wide and varied.Firstly the academy isn't broken,the problem is that Levein has gone on record as saying there will be a conveyor belt of talent 5 years ago.Now because people link him to Dundee Utds golden generation fans expected us to create Gaulds,Goodwillies  and Armstrong's.Patience is needed on this one.

 

Secondly and as everyone knows our strategy of the last 5 years has been ridiculous. Singing injured players,old players,foreigners without even watching them in the flesh, the list of mistakes and bad practices is endless.

 

Now JJ and RN are here this is not a quick easy fix,we are a championship side in the middle of a global pandemic.If we can navigate our way through this the football landscape will of changed massively by the time next season comes.

 

We require a slow and steady team build.Harder said than done though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saughton Jambo

Have we actually got a scouting policy? I thought we just threw a lot of names Into a hat and pulled them out at random. Could only explain some of the shite we’ve had of late. I pictured Levein and the three stooges pulling out names and going....’

 

Macphee:- this one says Damour,says he’s a defensive midfielder. ‘
 

Fox:- ‘says he’s a french U21 international so must be good

 

Daly:- yeh and France have won the World Cup twice so he must be good. Who’s he with now? 
 

Macphee:- He’s at Cardiff, got them promoted to the premiership last season but didn’t play at all this season. He must be good though if he’s played in the EPL. 
 

Levein:- So is that 4 yes’s then? Ok great. Let’s give him a 4 year deal, one year for every yes....yes....all in agreement? 
 

The three stooges all nod in unison. 
 

A very smug Levein:- What a signing and a coup for our club. The fans are going to love me again! 
 

Then cue the music from Eastenders....doof doof doof. 
 

Tune in to the next transfer windows folks or watch our documentary to see what really goes on behind the scenes 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skacelsid
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Well I hope we are looking at Erhahon at St Mirren as well as Allan Campbell of Motherwell with regards to next season as examples

 

Both are 'gettable' if we get promoted and can be signed pre contract in January but there will be fees to be paid

 

You don't need to be a super scout to spot talent in Scotland and if we are not looking then it is a poor show but who knows the club may well have them on their radar

 

There are others like Ali McCann of St Johnstone but others will be looking as well no doubt

Levein could have had Dykes or/and Nisbet very cheaply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Just finished Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography and the emphasis he puts on scouting and recruitment is massive.

 

Even he made mistakes though.

 

Our problems are wide and varied.Firstly the academy isn't broken,the problem is that Levein has gone on record as saying there will be a conveyor belt of talent 5 years ago.Now because people link him to Dundee Utds golden generation fans expected us to create Gaulds,Goodwillies  and Armstrong's.Patience is needed on this one.

 

Secondly and as everyone knows our strategy of the last 5 years has been ridiculous. Singing injured players,old players,foreigners without even watching them in the flesh, the list of mistakes and bad practices is endless.

 

Now JJ and RN are here this is not a quick easy fix,we are a championship side in the middle of a global pandemic.If we can navigate our way through this the football landscape will of changed massively by the time next season comes.

 

We require a slow and steady team build.Harder said than done though.

I don’t think JJ has much to do with it, he just relays information back from Neilson to the board. He won’t have anything to do with transfers or signing players, he’s just an adviser. 
We will need a Sporting Director in the door soon to get prepared for a vital transfer window in the summer and get the scouting department sorted before then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Watching Sportscene and there are quite a few who would improve us, Brophy from Kilmarnock is out of contract in the summer. We could’ve done worse than going for Chris Burke in any of the last three seasons. 

The two you mention, I've always thought would be good additions. Brophy for about 4 years. It was obvious he had something. The aversion from recruiting or attempting  to recruit certain targets at other Scottish clubs is curious. We would rather go to Cambridge, Luton, or some obscure location abroad which tends to bring journey men going through the motions before the next move. No continuity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

The two you mention, I've always thought would be good additions. Brophy for about 4 years. It was obvious he had something. The aversion from recruiting or attempting  to recruit certain targets at other Scottish clubs is curious. We would rather go to Cambridge, Luton, or some obscure location abroad which tends to bring journey men going through the motions before the next move. No continuity.

I think it’s a bit of an obsession with trying to appear clever and find a diamond to sell on as we did with Sow.  As Hickey showed it can be done with Scottish players too, or guys like McLean/McKenna/Fraser and McGinn for instance. The need to gamble with signings also played its part, strange how he was so overly cautious on the pitch. A whole reboot of the system and personnel has to be achieved sooner rather than later to prepare us properly for next summer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Have we actually got a scouting policy? I thought we just threw a lot of names Into a hat and pulled them out at random. Could only explain some of the shite we’ve had of late. I pictured Levein and the three stooges pulling out names and going....’

 

Macphee:- this one says Damour,says he’s a defensive midfielder. ‘
 

Fox:- ‘says he’s a french U21 international so must be good

 

Daly:- yeh and France have won the World Cup twice so he must be good. Who’s he with now? 
 

Macphee:- He’s at Cardiff, got them promoted to the premiership last season but didn’t play at all this season. He must be good though if he’s played in the EPL. 
 

Levein:- So is that 4 yes’s then? Ok great. Let’s give him a 4 year deal, one year for every yes....yes....all in agreement? 
 

The three stooges all nod in unison. 
 

A very smug Levein:- What a signing and a coup for our club. The fans are going to love me again! 
 

Then cue the music from Eastenders....doof doof doof. 
 

Tune in to the next transfer windows folks or watch our documentary to see what really goes on behind the scenes 
 

I’m hearing the music to Soap, for us older guys a comedy from the late 70s early 80s with Billy Crystal among others. They would show you clips from next weeks show and ask “confused? You will be”. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

 

Aspiring to be as good as, or slightly better than Aberdeen, Hibs or Motherwell is utterly depressing. This is my point, it’s shit. 

I didn’t say we should aspire to be like them, just that they’re doing a far better job than we are and they are the bench mark we need to get to and then go beyond to challenge the uglies. 
Scottish football is shit, and attempts to change it like Cathro (hopeless though he was) and Stendel (trying to make a pig out of sows ear) are met with ridicule and scorn. Let’s stick with Ross, Neilson, Clarke, McInnes good Scottish laddie types who all play pretty much the same style and wonder why our game stagnates. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Leveins Battalion

Players out of contract soon who we should be all over-

 

Alan Campbell

Stuart Findlay

Eamon Brophy

Ross Stewart

Greg Stewart

 

5 players who would improve us massively.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice there are a few threads going about on the above subjects. The truth is, the whole football side is a shambles, and it has been for the past 4 seasons. 5th, 2 x 6th and a 12th place finish are shocking for a club of our size and resources. We're not exactly setting the heather on fire this season either.

 

We've not produced anything from our academy.  Manager wise, we've experimented with neilson (twice),  cathro and stendel. None of them have had any great track record in management. We gave levein far too long. Our signing policy has been atrocious and we have wasted so much money on bang average players.   How could anyone watch some of the guys we've signed and think they're good enough for us?

 

For me, Budge is totally out of her depth football wise and the people she is trusting are letting her down. 

 

We need to get through this season, hopefully get promoted, then press the reset button and start again. Get someone in who knows about football and put a strategy in place to have us consistently challenging for 3rd. We need a complete clear out of players and coaches and bring in better quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Leveins Battalion

We are in the Scottish Cup Final and have lost 1 in 9.

 

Lots to work on and improve but we are not a shambles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Players out of contract soon who we should be all over-

 

Alan Campbell

Stuart Findlay

Eamon Brophy

Ross Stewart

Greg Stewart

 

5 players who would improve us massively.

Absolutely 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yawn. Another thread with the same stuff. We lose one game after key players being involved in international duty days prior. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
20 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I notice there are a few threads going about on the above subjects.

 

So you decided to start another.

 

Good work.

 

👍

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I notice there are a few threads going about on the above subjects. The truth is, the whole football side is a shambles, and it has been for the past 4 seasons. 5th, 2 x 6th and a 12th place finish are shocking for a club of our size and resources. We're not exactly setting the heather on fire this season either.

 

We've not produced anything from our academy.  Manager wise, we've experimented with neilson (twice),  cathro and stendel. None of them have had any great track record in management. We gave levein far too long. Our signing policy has been atrocious and we have wasted so much money on bang average players.   How could anyone watch some of the guys we've signed and think they're good enough for us?

 

For me, Budge is totally out of her depth football wise and the people she is trusting are letting her down. 

 

We need to get through this season, hopefully get promoted, then press the reset button and start again. Get someone in who knows about football and put a strategy in place to have us consistently challenging for 3rd. We need a complete clear out of players and coaches and bring in better quality.


We’ve appointed a new chief executive to run the club. Maybe we should give him the opportunity to improve things before we burn it all down again. 1 defeat in 9. Let that sink in while we try to make things better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie_Rules

Wouldn’t say Neilsons track record as a manager is poor. He got us out the championship with a record points total in his first season in management then had us 2nd in the top league before leaving. MK Dons was a bit meh, wasn’t really expected to do great things there. Came back to Scotland and got Dundee Utd promoted then has won his first 8 games on the bounce at Hearts, albeit Friday being his first set back.

 

I’d say thats a pretty decent CV for a young manager.

 

I fear unrealistic expectations are going to set in again with the support under Neilsons time. Its true that we have been a shambles and Friday wasn’t good enough, but its going to take a few years to build to get back to where we should be at top end of the Premiership

Edited by Gorgie_Rules
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

The two you mention, I've always thought would be good additions. Brophy for about 4 years. It was obvious he had something. The aversion from recruiting or attempting  to recruit certain targets at other Scottish clubs is curious. We would rather go to Cambridge, Luton, or some obscure location abroad which tends to bring journey men going through the motions before the next move. No continuity.

We have signed plenty of players over the last few years who were reasonable in Scottish football but hardly howling successes with us eg Jotn Sutton, Goncalves, Sammon, Frear, Mulraney to name but a few and, according to some, even Halliday and Wighton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
17 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

 

I would imagine that the person that persuaded him to stay on is the same person that gave moore a new contract when we didn't have a manager. Mental. 

Nope 

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
18 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

John Murray is still at the club. Was due to retire in the summer but was persuaded to stay on. Baffling. I’d sign better players than the shite that we sign

Think he has left now. End of windows was time up for him

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
14 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes he’s still there. Not sure if we’ve recruited well for Neilsons favoured formation. 

He hasn’t been involved in any recruitment since Robbie came in. His revised role was helping JJ offload as many of the players Robbie  didn’t want as they could. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
5 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

Levein could have had Dykes or/and Nisbet very cheaply.

Yep, he must realise he made a huge error not signing Dykes 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...