Loving It, L-O-V-I-N-G it ...But, err, he was off his line

Deodato

Heart of Darkness

Marshall even explained that the referee told him not to celebrate too early until they checked there was no doubt - that's why you see him asking the ref if it's okay to go aff his heid!! 😃😃

Looks to me like his right foot was on the line when the penalty was struck.  That aside, we see goalkeepers infringing at penalties all the time and not getting called up for it.  If you're looking for freeze frame shots to determine whether his foot was on the line or not, then it's not clear and obvious, so the decision stands.

Innocent until proven guilty should be the maxim, and in the wider context of VAR, they should have 30 seconds to make a decision, not 3 or 4 minutes as often happens.  If VAR can't make a decision in 30 secs, by definition it's not a clear and obvious situation, and the refs decision should stand.

Unfortunately, VAR has quickly moved from the original objective, to cut out clear and obvious errors, to a new objective which is to get every decision absolutely correct, even if that entails several minutes of debate amongst the VAR team, and drawlng lines across the pitch to see if a striker's big toe may have been offside at the point at which the frame was frozen, which is in itself subject to human error.

It's spoiling the game, and I think the 30 second rule would get us back to what VAR was intended for, overriding clear and obvious errors and letting the ref's decision stand for the marginal cases.

6 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Looks to me like his right foot was on the line when the penalty was struck.  That aside, we see goalkeepers infringing at penalties all the time and not getting called up for it.  If you're looking for freeze frame shots to determine whether his foot was on the line or not, then it's not clear and obvious, so the decision stands.

Innocent until proven guilty should be the maxim, and in the wider context of VAR, they should have 30 seconds to make a decision, not 3 or 4 minutes as often happens.  If VAR can't make a decision in 30 secs, by definition it's not a clear and obvious situation, and the refs decision should stand.

Unfortunately, VAR has quickly moved from the original objective, to cut out clear and obvious errors, to a new objective which is to get every decision absolutely correct, even if that entails several minutes of debate amongst the VAR team, and drawlng lines across the pitch to see if a striker's big toe may have been offside at the point at which the frame was frozen, which is in itself subject to human error.

It's spoiling the game, and I think the 30 second rule would get us back to what VAR was intended for, overriding clear and obvious errors and letting the ref's decision stand for the marginal cases.

Absolutely.

16 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Marshall even explained that the referee told him not to celebrate too early until they checked there was no doubt - that's why you see him asking the ref if it's okay to go aff his heid!! 😃😃

Best reaction to saving a pen ever.  

Unbelievably Scottish.

Edited by Last Laff

luckyBatistuta

This has to be one of the most batshit mental threads I’ve ever seen on here. Why, just why🤷‍♂️

• cosanostra locked this topic