Only an Excuse

Locky

Absolutely about time. 

Dire, unfunny old-firm centric shite for years. 

Hopefully something fresh and actually funny will replace it. 

Салатные палочки

Well I must say, I will miss the New Years Day thread on here.  

Not before time, absolutely shite these days.  Why don't they, as it's the last one, just have a mish-mash of all the best bits over the years instead of letting Watson loose with the script?  

Should have a New Years or Christmas Two Doors Down on instead.  At least Watson is funny in that.  

2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Not before time, absolutely shite these days.  Why don't they, as it's the last one, just have a mish-mash of all the best bits over the years instead of letting Watson loose with the script?  

Should have a New Years or Christmas Two Doors Down on instead.  At least Watson is funny in that.  

Good shout on the Two Doors Down.. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Finito after this year. An hour long special though to sign off.

About time.

It'll include 45 minutes of Sturgeon and Leitch pish, a xenophobic skit about Stendel, the sketches with the old firm fans, the budget Cheeky Girls from the Hibs season ticket appeal, MacAvennie, Sir Alex, Sounness, Chick and some other person who hasn't been relevant for 20 years but will appeal to the Glesga public. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

Bad news for the folk that don't find it funny, but watch it anyway so they can start every year

:seething:

😁

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

About 15 years late to get rid of this pish

It's absolute cringe.

Never watched it for years and from what I heard I've not missed anything. 

Thank feck. 

It's pure 90's TV and should have been consigned to the archives 20 years ago, alongside Jackie Bird and all the other NY TV programmes. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Thank feck. 

It's pure 90's TV and should have been consigned to the archives 20 years ago, alongside Jackie Bird and all the other NY TV programmes. 

They would be better showing repeats on Andy Stewart. 

It could be good if the writing wasn't so terrible. The only decent sketch I remember recently (loose use of recently) was the Csaba Laszlo one.

I P Knightley

Was it on OAE where he was on his exercise bike with a bollock hanging out of his shorts?

For some reason that did the rounds in the last couple of week via WhatsApp.

Toothache is funnier than OAE.

Please don't replace it with something by Limmy though.

Old Scotch and Wry, Billy Connolly, or Chic Murray will do.

Салатные палочки
20 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Toothache is funnier than OAE.

Please don't replace it with something by Limmy though.

Old Scotch and Wry, Billy Connolly, or Chic Murray will do.

Limmy is done with TV now so no need to worry about that. 

56 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Was it on OAE where he was on his exercise bike with a bollock hanging out of his shorts?

For some reason that did the rounds in the last couple of week via WhatsApp.

Csaba? Don't know. I was thinking about the one where a punter asked him the time and he started talking about time and space etc for hours/days/years.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Smack said:

Csaba? Don't know. I was thinking about the one where a punter asked him the time and he started talking about time and space etc for hours/days/years.

Sorry - not Csaba.

One of the "comedians" who performs in the sketches. Wasn't playing a particular character; just some guy on an interactive exercise bike.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Sorry - not Csaba.

One of the "comedians" who performs in the sketches. Wasn't playing a particular character; just some guy on an interactive exercise bike.

Oh ok. They should have made it Billy Brown ranting about struggling and struggling.

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Who's Andy Stewart? :laugh2:

Who is Andy Stewart?  Who is Andy Stewart?   Only one of Scotland's premier entertainers.  Who can forget Andy, Moira and Ken on that Scottish tv production which was loved by all?   What was it called again?    Oh yes.  The White Feather Club.  

6 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Who is Andy Stewart?  Who is Andy Stewart?   Only one of Scotland's premier entertainers.  Who can forget Andy, Moira and Ken on that Scottish tv production which was loved by all?   What was it called again?    Oh yes.  The White Feather Club.  

Long before my time I'm afraid. That said, probably more entertaining than oae! 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

It was Heather.

I still remember the very first joke on OAE when it was first on the telly. Watson and tony roper, dressed  in tartan army gear, celebrating Scotland winning their third World Cup on the bounce. 1 of them says, when do you think the change on Scottish football happened? The other says in 1994. Why, what happened then? Hubs finally managed to beat hearts.

The programme used to be really funny, with tony roper on it, and then followed by Alistair macgowan. Been push since then, think I’ve only watched it through habit, and usually being pretty wasted at that time of the night on Hogmanay.

A Boy Named Crow
9 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Because there'd be nothing after 1993...and most of the best bits were on radio 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Only an Excuse died about 15 years ago.  They had it on a plate in recent years with Vlad, Rangers dying, Hibs getting relegated, our admin, Celtic’s persistent failure in Europe, Cathro/Levein etc. They chose all the while to keep up the ‘where’s the birds’ and shite Chic Young impersonations instead, and to continue getting off on the OF bigotry.  Mugs. 

17 minutes ago, superjack said:

I still remember the very first joke on OAE when it was first on the telly. Watson and tony roper, dressed  in tartan army gear, celebrating Scotland winning their third World Cup on the bounce. 1 of them says, when do you think the change on Scottish football happened? The other says in 1994. Why, what happened then? Hubs finally managed to beat hearts.

The programme used to be really funny, with tony roper on it, and then followed by Alistair macgowan. Been push since then, think I’ve only watched it through habit, and usually being pretty wasted at that time of the night on Hogmanay.

The thing is even in those early days Tony Roper was a big Celtic fan, and Johnny Watson (though he is very non committal about it) is a big Rangers fan so the agenda was set from day one. It makes me a bit sad as Johnny is an absolutely top notch bloke, but these days he’s very focussed on being taken seriously as an actor as opposed to a novelty turn.  

Салатные палочки
25 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Because there'd be nothing after 1993...and most of the best bits were on radio 

94 World Cup special was brilliant.

Oh no, I won't be able to laugh at a Frank MacAvennie joke this year, even though he stopped playing in 19 ****ing 95.

What a shame.

For the sheer comedy that is Scottish Football, they didn't half make Only an Excuse a total slog to get through.  Too many shitey parodies of Chick Young and Jonathan Sutherland, Political distractions and 75% of it being Old Firm related nonsense means this should have been canned years ago.

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

94 World Cup special was brilliant.

Aye, fair enough. I didn't have that on tape,  so the memory has faded. The 93 Live show and the radio stuff in the late 80s were just hurt yourself funny though!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

They have the odd sketch that is funny when they move away from football. I thought the Greta Thunberg one from last years was actually good, but unfortunately they have the same old pish when it comes to football "comedy". 

The "funny names being drawn from the cup sketch" was like pulling teeth.

manaliveits105
14 hours ago, westbow said:

It's a bit like River City. Employs untalented weegies for the sake of it.

10 hours ago, FWJ said:

Weegie comedy for weegies from BBCWeeg.

This 

13 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It was Heather.

I don't recall any Heather, just Moira.  Maybe Heather was one of the regular dance troupe,  The White Feather Dancers.

• 1 month later...
Салатные палочки
On 11/11/2020 at 13:09, Salad Fingers said:

:jjyay:

Pre-2000 it was a great show. 

****ing brutal.  All this special has done is highlight how lazy the writing became after Roper stopped.  The mid 90s stuff is timeless.  

All the stuff they could have covered this year, and the best they can do is dropping a frying pan on someone’s napper while clapping for the NHS.  

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Still full of West Coast pish.

Still full of wink-wink-mildly-sectarian West Coast pish. 

By the way, that absolutely shite gorilla sketch was on Only an Excuse in 2009:

They cannae even be arsed to make current content, just recycle pish that wasn't funny in the first place and claim it's some sort of highlight. 

Thank **** this shite is being canned. 

Edited by tian447