Jump to content

The Old Mosaic


Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

 

Was just reading the thread about the history of the Hearts badge through the years. It got me thinking about the old mosaic:

 

ca92bd68caeccaa1ac44f22db1c9d786.jpg

 

I remember on the Hybrid Pitch thread, it was raised that the mosaic had suffered a fair bit of damage during some of the construction works, with some rumours that it might have been cement.

 

 

 

IMG_1756.JPG

 

Does anyone have any update on the state of this or if it has been repaired since January? Apologies if I've missed it anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo

They should take it to The Repair Shop. Good publicity for Hearts and those guys seem to know how to fix old, damaged stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They should take it to The Repair Shop. Good publicity for Hearts and those guys seem to know how to fix old, damaged stuff.


We should give them Naismith at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before

Im sure SaughtonJambo had some news about it recently along the lines of it wasnt cement and it was salvagable. Might have even offered to organise or help carry out the repairs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:


We should give them Naismith at the same time.

You can be quite cutting, sometimes 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s  the one that’s in the lobby of the new stand, it looks fantastic. Have a photo just don’t know how to add it here 🥴

Link to post
Share on other sites
HEARTS FOREVER
1 minute ago, Baxfee said:

If it’s  the one that’s in the lobby of the new stand, it looks fantastic. Have a photo just don’t know how to add it here 🥴

That's not it mate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
dannymack

It wasn't well protected during the work carried out on the demolition and construction of the stands, I witnessed it a few times and was concerned at the time but to be fair the demolition process was deemed high risk (obviously) for any potential risk so the protection used on the next phases was pretty basic.

 

Been trying to upload an image but its not allowing me to do so 😕 

Edited by dannymack
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

If it’s  the one that’s in the lobby of the new stand, it looks fantastic. Have a photo just don’t know how to add it here 🥴

 

 

Screenshot_20201029-145339_Photo Editor.jpg

Edited by DETTY29
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hairdryer

I was down at the shop last Friday and had a look through the door at reception and the mosaic looked perfect 

Link to post
Share on other sites
dannymack
3 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

I was down at the shop last Friday and had a look through the door at reception and the mosaic looked perfect 

Thats the new design, the older one is still in its original setting.

Edited by dannymack
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hairdryer
Just now, dannymack said:

Thats the new design, the older one is still in its original settings.

I wasn't aware of that it looks good non the less 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Brightside

I was told on a stadium tour last year that plasterers were mixing plaster on it and caused it to be damaged, but it was getting repaired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
22 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

I was told on a stadium tour last year that plasterers were mixing plaster on it and caused it to be damaged, but it was getting repaired.

So was I but that isn’t true, apparently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in the building trade and it’s one thing that grates me big time. 
 

You get muppets who don’t take time to look where they are working and put a bit protection down.  They’re “just there to do a job and gtf” is the attitude with many. 
 

Some trades worse than others for it. 
 

However, I’d have thought the site management should’ve been on top of this.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’m in the building trade and it’s one thing that grates me big time. 
 

You get muppets who don’t take time to look where they are working and put a bit protection down.  They’re “just there to do a job and gtf” is the attitude with many. 
 

Some trades worse than others for it. 
 

However, I’d have thought the site management should’ve been on top of this.  

couldn't agree more.

there's very little "pride in the job" nowadays, but, as you say, the project management should have flagged this up

Edited by The Treasurer
Link to post
Share on other sites

The damage looks like surface level only so should be able to get sorted. There are plenty people out there who do restoration and repair of tiles and mosaics. 
Then send the bill to the builders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

 

 

Screenshot_20201029-145339_Photo Editor.jpg

Thats not the same one as the OP's pic though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Batistuta87

The old one was supposed to be split into sections and moved down to the entrance of the new main stand, but they were worried it would get damaged and also that it would be too small, so there's a new one at the new main entrance. Its easily 2-3 times the size of the original and is a slightly different shape without the bit jutting out at the top left. The old one is still in its original place at the old main entrance, now inside the new main stand on the first or second floor (can't remember which) since the new stand is sunken into the ground and what is now ground level in the new stand would have been underground / basement level in the old stand.

 

Story is that the old one was covered up with wooden boards to protect it, the room its in was used for storage, and something leaked or was spilled on it. One of my colleagues' mates was working on the roofing and said that they were storing some materials in that room and that some kind of sealant that they use on industrial flooring leaked on it. Don't know how true that is but the guy was quite openly telling us bits and pieces and showing us photos of quite a few things as construction was ongoing, and even went to find my mate's season ticket seat and took a photo to show him what his view was going to be haha. The tour guide tells people that some builders were mixing plaster or concrete on it as someone has said above, so who knows... 

 

Anyway, apparently once they've repaired the old mosaic, it'll be encased under a glass floor and that the room its in will become a sort of shrine to the old main stand. They've got one of the original turnstiles in there already and have some old signage and photographs and stuff to go up on the walls. 

 

 

Edited by Batistuta87
Link to post
Share on other sites

The mosaic was protected with heavy insulation and plywood during the demolition and the construction of the new stand. When the protection was removed there was slight damage to the edges but nothing serious as you can see in the photo posted by Obua. I have some photos of both the protection and just after the removal of the protection, I will try and upload then when I get some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy

There are two mosaics in the New stand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, obua said:

Yes.

 

4 minutes ago, Cranny1 said:

The mosaic was protected with heavy insulation and plywood during the demolition and the construction of the new stand. When the protection was removed there was slight damage to the edges but nothing serious as you can see in the photo posted by Obua. I have some photos of both the protection and just after the removal of the protection, I will try and upload then when I get some time.

 

The original mosaic was damaged a long time before any demolition work took place for the new stand. Used to clean the boots near the original one back in the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Batistuta87

It looks a lot more damaged from the photos taken in the new room than it does when it was uncovered so seems something has happened during the building work. Maybe there is something to the stories about workmen damaging it or something leaking on it. Or maybe the staining is the result of an ill-fated attempt to clean or restore it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recognise that photo and the person in it because I was there when it was taken.  There were over 9,000 photos taken of both the demolition and the new build at various stages and that is just one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saughton Jambo
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Apparently the workmen damaging it story isn’t true but @Saughton Jambocan confirm. 

6D31D4C6-30D0-4A90-BC0D-031EC5EE03EC.jpeg

100% Definitely not damaged by demolition or by any workmen mixing cement or plaster on our mosaic. It’s an unfounded rumour and probably spread by a supporter of the other side who’s probably trying to earn kudos from his fellow supporters.

 

 I’ve examined this in person as I had access for the best part 40 mins. It can be steam cleaned to improve this as the dirty patches are where the glaze has worn off (foot traffic over a number of years I would imagine) and has years of ingrained dirt.  
 

It would need a specialist company to restore this and then possibly re seal the mosaics when complete. We’d need to engage with the club to seek permission to enable this task. If given, then we could put this out to a heritage or restoration company to see if they could help. I’d happily take on this task if permission was given. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
42 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

100% Definitely not damaged by demolition or by any workmen mixing cement or plaster on our mosaic. It’s an unfounded rumour and probably spread by a supporter of the other side who’s probably trying to earn kudos from his fellow supporters.

 

 I’ve examined this in person as I had access for the best part 40 mins. It can be steam cleaned to improve this as the dirty patches are where the glaze has worn off (foot traffic over a number of years I would imagine) and has years of ingrained dirt.  
 

It would need a specialist company to restore this and then possibly re seal the mosaics when complete. We’d need to engage with the club to seek permission to enable this task. If given, then we could put this out to a heritage or restoration company to see if they could help. I’d happily take on this task if permission was given. 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamTarts98
56 minutes ago, escobri said:

@SaughtonJambo ,would this be an expensive job as i think the club will have this low down on the todo list. I’d be happy to contribute to a kickback fund.

I would contribute to this also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

100% Definitely not damaged by demolition or by any workmen mixing cement or plaster on our mosaic. It’s an unfounded rumour and probably spread by a supporter of the other side who’s probably trying to earn kudos from his fellow supporters.

 

 I’ve examined this in person as I had access for the best part 40 mins. It can be steam cleaned to improve this as the dirty patches are where the glaze has worn off (foot traffic over a number of years I would imagine) and has years of ingrained dirt.  
 

It would need a specialist company to restore this and then possibly re seal the mosaics when complete. We’d need to engage with the club to seek permission to enable this task. If given, then we could put this out to a heritage or restoration company to see if they could help. I’d happily take on this task if permission was given. 

 

Thanks for the update and for clearing up that the rumours were just that.  Positive news that it can be cleaned up!

 

Understand why this might be a little farther down the priority list at the moment but would also be happy to contribute however I can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...