David Syme (ref) dead

neilnunb

Stephane Grappelli
18 hours ago, been here before said:

Tragedy

Sending thoughts, condolences and prayers to the family.

Cheers mate, appreciated.

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Cheers mate, appreciated.

The laddie's crying out for attention Steph, you've just gave him a big virtual cuddle 👍

Stephane Grappelli
28 minutes ago, smiler said:

The laddie's crying out for attention Steph, you've just gave him a big virtual cuddle 👍

I have plenty of virtual cuddles to give away.

iwasthere1954
22 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The 4 red cards. 

Not trying to defend the ref but,  Bruno was already on a yellow and did a foul. David weir did a fake headbutt towards the hun player,  Pointon kicked the post and swore at the ref (not sure if already booked)  and canny remember the Paul Ritchie one. 

I do know that rangers then scored a 3rd and didn't celebrate.  

The referee that day was Gerry Evans

21 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Think it was the kicking the post but. 

Still a farce that game, and was clearly already a farce hence why Pointon got angry.  

Since when was kicking a post a red card offence?

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Since when was kicking a post a red card offence?

2nd yellow I assume.  He said fkkkkksake or something and kicked the post.  

A true story. A fellow worker of mine was promoted to a branch in Glasgow in the late 80's early 90's.

He decided that Rutherglen would be a reasonable place to stay and bought a house there. The only problem with this scenario is that his name was David Syme. 

Now my memory of the game involved is a big vague however it may have been the Airdrie game at Tynecastle.  He was sitting in his house when his phone rang that evening, answering it, he was met by a volley of abuse.  He thought it rather strange until seconds later answering another call he was met by a further volley of abuse. 

It suddenly struck him what it was all about, cue the phone being left off the hook, a quick change of number and an ex directory listing.  Perhaps this is why we are now not told the referees home town.

P.S. If you read this David you can confirm this story. (He is a good Jambo).

Edited by corryjambo

On 28/10/2020 at 18:27, neilnunb said:

Always remember this...

"Current Rangers chairman Douglas Park was on the Hearts board in 1988 when he locked Syme in the changing room following a dramatic clash at Tynecastle against Gers."

🤭🤫

After David Syme was locked in the changing room Wallace Mercer launched an investigation to find out who the perpetrator was. 

Alex MacDonald then launched a counter investigation demanding to know the identify of who had let Syme out. 

4 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Was Syme not the ref in the Scottish Cup tie at Parkhead when McLaren and McKinlay got sent off

I thought so too. He was a terrible ref but RIP

Edited by 1971fozzy

18 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

2nd yellow I assume.  He said fkkkkksake or something and kicked the post.  

Don’t think he had a yellow! 🤔

On 29/10/2020 at 19:50, merseyjambo said:

Was Syme not the ref in the Scottish Cup tie at Parkhead when McLaren and McKinlay got sent off

On a par with Collum v Celtic in Collum's early days, even a Prime, and it doesn't get any worse than that.. 

Ruined the game!  Another Old Firm sycophant!

His family have my sympathy but it can't change the fact he was another ref who thought the game was all about him.

Stephane Grappelli
On 30/10/2020 at 00:21, Silvery_Moon said:

After David Syme was locked in the changing room Wallace Mercer launched an investigation to find out who the perpetrator was. 

Alex MacDonald then launched a counter investigation demanding to know the identify of who had let Syme out. 

Classic! I remember that.

We always got Syme when playing Rangers at Tynie in the late 80's. Always controversial games as he couldn't help himself. Think he reffed the game when Galloway and Walters were both sent off and we won two nil.

The Celtic cup game was a disgrace and he totally lost control. Did he also not send off a Celtic player in a cup final after being hit by a coin and thinking the Celtic player had hit him?