Ex Motherwell players

Diadora Van Basten

Glamorgan Jambo

Back in the day I’m pretty sure we signed Stewart MacLaren and Kenny Black from them. Both put in a decent shift for us.

Glamorgan Jambo
1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Back in the day I’m pretty sure we signed Stewart MacLaren and Kenny Black from them. Both put in a decent shift for us.

Just checked we signed Chopper MacLaren from Dundee.

Diadora Van Basten
1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I wasn’t aware of that.

The only decent player I can think of was Rab MacKinnon and there has been various players who came with decent reputations and were poor for us.

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nicky Walker, Scot Leitch? That’s them all, care of those wonderful chaps at London Hearts. 

E53B8D2C-944B-4752-AA52-E010E567E123.jpeg

No Elliot Frear? 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, karipidis said:

No Elliot Frear? 

Must not have updated it, he’s been pretty invisible so we could let them off I suppose?

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Pettigrew.

Or, did he come via someone else?

Maybe the Arabs?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Yip, Dundee UTD. Almost bankrupted us. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Must not have updated it, he’s been pretty invisible so we could let them off I suppose?

Fair point, very poor performance last night. 

Edited by karipidis

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Fair point, very poor performance last night. 

Saving himself for the wide open spaces of Hampden hopefully 🙏🤞

Niemi’s gloves
44 minutes ago, karipidis said:

No Elliot Frear? 

Frear’s last club was Forest Green Rovers not Motherwell, which I suspect rather undermines the point of this thread

Edit: OK the thread title says ex-Motherwell, not signed from Motherwell. Presumably the list of ex-Motherwell players is longer than shown on the London Hearts listing?

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

SectionDJambo
33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, Dundee UTD. Almost bankrupted us. 

Double signing along with Derek Addison. Wallace then found Hearts couldn’t afford the deal and Jim McLean got stuck into us, and expected action from the SFA.

The club that came to our rescue were, believe it or not, Celtic. Desmond White said that he wouldn’t expect Hearts to pay the outstanding fee for Roddy McDonald until we had cleared our feet financially. He said he thought it more important that a big club to Scottish football, like Hearts, should be helped to the benefit of the league.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Frear’s last club was Forest Green Rovers not Motherwell, which I suspect rather undermines the point of this thread

Edit: OK the thread title says ex-Motherwell, not signed from Motherwell. Presumably the list of ex-Motherwell players is longer than shown on the London Hearts listing?

Yeah that’s just guys that played for them then us. This is the other ones but some of them played before too. Maybe I’m reading it wrong? Frear not in either 🤔🙈? It’s just Scots. https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/club/motherwell.html

78EE0575-5259-4837-888E-D7403DF10028.png

Edited by Pasquale for King

Did Frear not have to become a vegan to play with FGR?  Lack of protein obviously affected his stamina to run 10 metres unaided.

Always thought Kenny Black came from Airdrie.

Probably because he spent most of his career there although it was after us.

Edited by graygo

8 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Double signing along with Derek Addison. Wallace then found Hearts couldn’t afford the deal and Jim McLean got stuck into us, and expected action from the SFA.

The club that came to our rescue were, believe it or not, Celtic. Desmond White said that he wouldn’t expect Hearts to pay the outstanding fee for Roddy McDonald until we had cleared our feet financially. He said he thought it more important that a big club to Scottish football, like Hearts, should be helped to the benefit of the league.

Yip, we had a transfer ban for a while. I liked Derek Addison as a player but we sold him to St.Johnstone for £60k, to help clear our debts, after one season. 

SectionDJambo
11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, we had a transfer ban for a while. I liked Derek Addison as a player but we sold him to St.Johnstone for £60k, to help clear our debts, after one season. 

I liked him as well. Many fans didn't, but that was maybe due to the financial trouble we got into over his transfer.

Those were certainly very precarious times for the existence and status of our club. Hard to believe that only a few years later we'd come within 7 minutes of being champions.

part_time_jambo
9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Changed days indeed.

Nelly Terraces
9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yep, that is absolutely spot on. Changed days as far as Ceptic goes!

Addison was OK but I thought Willie Pettigrew did a terrific job for us & scored quite a few & very important match winning, goals. I remember he got 4 goals v Meadowbank in the East of Scotland shield final & then got another 4 in a league cup game away v Clyde which we won 7-1*!

*I got Willie Johnstons autograph at that game as well. Top days!:biggrin2:

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, SkabalaJam said:

John Sutton not English? 

Yeah of course, the boys down there are having a bigger nightmare with this list than I am 😆🙈

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Did Frear not have to become a vegan to play with FGR?  Lack of protein obviously affected his stamina to run 10 metres unaided.

Yeah they won’t let their players have protein supplements or anything 🙈
Aaron Hughes was one and Souttar followed him, maybe it had something to do with their fitness, unlikely though. 
https://www.euronews.com/living/2019/10/14/8-sports-stars-you-knew-were-vegan-and-8-you-didn-t

https://www.viva.org.uk/vegan-vegetarian-sportspeople

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Didn’t know that what you posted on the 2nd paragraph.
Fair play to them.

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Ah, the days before selfishness and greed!

If there's one decade could go back in time to it's the eighties. Great European nights for all of Scotland's top five clubs back then. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Celtic, Hearts, Rangers...good days and brilliant away trips in the league to the wee clubs such as Morton, Dundee, Hibs, Hamilton (when they actually had a football ground), Motherwell, Dunfermline etc. Happy Days!

SectionDJambo
58 minutes ago, jambonian said:

If there's one decade could go back in time to it's the eighties. Great European nights for all of Scotland's top five clubs back then. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Celtic, Hearts, Rangers...good days and brilliant away trips in the league to the wee clubs such as Morton, Dundee, Hibs, Hamilton (when they actually had a football ground), Motherwell, Dunfermline etc. Happy Days!

Yes

Football has changed hugely since then, not just in Scotland, and not for the better.

Money and greed rule now. No chance of anyone other than Celtic or Rangers winning our championship, and no chance of a club like Dundee United reaching a European final. 
The same, so called elite, clubs want it all to themselves and only want to play on perfect pitches with no desire to compete against smaller clubs on their old traditional grounds. Most of the chances of genuine upsets, which were the lifeblood of real football, are gone.

When the “elite” clubs eventually get their super league, and leave the rest of us to it, there might be a chance of real, competitive and unpredictable football breaking out again.

Carl Fredrickson

Re the Pettigrew/Addison deal, my memory of it was that Wallace Mercer had to re-mortgage his house too. Tried to raise funds too with a programme for a league cup game v Rangers where you could win a house and/or a car. Think the programme was about a fiver and was sold weeks before the game in shops. Think it was a two legged semi final. 

This may have been round about the time where he let unemployed folk in to games cheaper if they should their UB40 card. 

I was excited when we signed Pettigrew but he turned out to be disappointing like oh so many strikers we have signed in my lifetime. 

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

Re the Pettigrew/Addison deal, my memory of it was that Wallace Mercer had to re-mortgage his house too. Tried to raise funds too with a programme for a league cup game v Rangers where you could win a house and/or a car. Think the programme was about a fiver and was sold weeks before the game in shops. Think it was a two legged semi final. 

This may have been round about the time where he let unemployed folk in to games cheaper if they should their UB40 card. 

I was excited when we signed Pettigrew but he turned out to be disappointing like oh so many strikers we have signed in my lifetime. 

Didn't do too badly. Gained promotion with us and scored 26/27 goals in three seasons with us. Not too bad when you consider we had a young John Robertson in the team and Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark arrived upfront to compete with him. Certainly had worse in the years and decades since.

Салатные палочки

I liked Rab McKinnon, a good solid signing that. Chances were always going to be limited with Naysmith breaking through but IMO he would have been a great player for us had it not been for that. 

I remember a game at Fir Park. The ball fell to him in the box and he had the chance to have a shot but decided to chip the ball right onto Adam's head - goal. 

8 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yep, that is absolutely spot on. Changed days as far as Ceptic goes!

Addison was OK but I thought Willie Pettigrew did a terrific job for us & scored quite a few & very important match winning, goals. I remember he got 4 goals v Meadowbank in the East of Scotland shield final & then got another 4 in a league cup game away v Clyde which we won 7-1*!

*I got Willie Johnstons autograph at that game as well. Top days!:biggrin2:

Even better that pat nevin played for clyde that day with Craig Brown as manager.  

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I liked Rab McKinnon, a good solid signing that. Chances were always going to be limited with Naysmith breaking through but IMO he would have been a great player for us had it not been for that. 

I remember a game at Fir Park. The ball fell to him in the box and he had the chance to have a shot but decided to chip the ball right onto Adam's head - goal. 

I liked him. Very dependable kinda player

1 hour ago, Fort Vallance said:

Willie McVie. I still shudder.

He cancelled his contract at no cost to us iirc. Serious injury ended his career. 

12 hours ago, jambonian said:

Didn't do too badly. Gained promotion with us and scored 26/27 goals in three seasons with us. Not too bad when you consider we had a young John Robertson in the team and Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark arrived upfront to compete with him. Certainly had worse in the years and decades since.

I think Sandy Clark arrived after Willie P left - could be wrong though.   Remember a LC game at Tynecastle in 1983 (midweek) against Rangers  - we didn't risk Robbo or Jimmy B since they weren't 100% fit and we were playing them again in the League 3 days later, so Willie P and Derek O'Connor were the strikers in the LC game. Hopeless sums up their performance that night (3-0 defeat)  - made more obvious by the return of Robbo and Jimmy B on the Saturday (3-1 win) !!

21 hours ago, jambonian said:

hibs🤣, like that

20 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

yeah, Dundee Utd has us over a barrel then...   we were looking at selling bowman or mackay to cover that debt.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19820218&id=s7dAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yaUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4420,3378126&hl=en

Is it just me, or do we not have a bit of a track record of signing players who've done the business in Scottish football full stop, only for them to turn out to be duds. Mehdi Taouil and John Sutton being good examples.

22 hours ago, jambonian said:

After the suffering 70"s the 80's were glorious but for 7 mins and McGhee's foul on Henry.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Voxpop said:

yeah, Dundee Utd has us over a barrel then...   we were looking at selling bowman or mackay to cover that debt.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19820218&id=s7dAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yaUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4420,3378126&hl=en

Thanks for posting that, I was about 11 or 12 at the time so wasnt aware of some of the boardroom stuff going on (pre-internet and pre-pub for me so no gossip). If Bowman or Mackay had signed for McLean at that time, they would probably still have a couple of years to run on their contract :)

I thought McKinnon would be a decent player for us too but he seemed to be a lot heavier when he was with us than when he was at well. He was okay but not what I hoped for. 

I mind in the early/mid 80s they had a goalie that always played well against us. I think his name was Hugh Sproatt and I always wanted us to sign him but if we did, he would probably fail to hit the heights with us. 

Is it possible that the reason so many players that do well elsewhere struggle with us due to being at a bigger club with a more demanding/critical support? A few have been mentioned on this thread and it cant just be that our coaching or our style of play surely. 

Nelly Terraces
17 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Even better that pat nevin played for clyde that day with Craig Brown as manager.  

Yeah I actually remember Nevin playing for thme that day but forgot Brown was their manager. Maybe that's why Nevin became a h1b5 fan!:biggrin2:

By way, didn't Derek Addison score against us in our 1st game v St Johnstone after he left us? Bugger.

12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I think Sandy Clark arrived after Willie P left - could be wrong though.   Remember a LC game at Tynecastle in 1983 (midweek) against Rangers  - we didn't risk Robbo or Jimmy B since they weren't 100% fit and we were playing them again in the League 3 days later, so Willie P and Derek O'Connor were the strikers in the LC game. Hopeless sums up their performance that night (3-0 defeat)  - made more obvious by the return of Robbo and Jimmy B on the Saturday (3-1 win) !!

I’m pretty sure Sandy Clark scored a hat-trick for Rangers in the LC game you mention. 

Clark arrived at Hearts in October 1984 and debuted v Morton at Cappielow. Funnily enough, Pettigrew had played FOR Morton at Tynecastle earlier that season and I’m sure they won 2-1 iirc.

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m pretty sure Sandy Clark scored a hat-trick for Rangers in the LC game you mention. 

Clark arrived at Hearts in October 1984 and debuted v Morton at Cappielow. Funnily enough, Pettigrew had played FOR Morton at Tynecastle earlier that season and I’m sure they won 2-1 iirc.

Your memory is working quite well (better than mine !!)    Just checked on London Hearts - Sandy scored 2 for Rangers, the other is down as an og by Gauld.  That game at Cappielow was the first (and possibly only ?) time Clark and Bone played together - 1 of them came on as a sub I think.